Connecticut Buddies

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

castleton

Connecticut Buddies

Post by castleton »

Not to be outdone by Cleveland....who else owns buddies in CT? And is there anyone else on the coastline? I would like to do some riding in southeastern CT and/or RI, near Stonington, Mystic, etc. but I don't know if there are any owners outside the Plainville or New Haven areas.

Thanks in advance!
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

I'm in southwestern CT, pretty far from you, I think. We have some great riding in this area... no coastline but lots of hills and lakes! If you're ever in this area, let me know and we'll ride :D
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
castleton

Post by castleton »

Thanks! And the same is true for you, as well, if you want to do the eastern shoreline sometime. :D

But am I really the ONLY buddy owner on the eastern CT shoreline? This is a distinction I would love to lose.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
--Pam

Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Strange, ishn't it? Centrale is selling them like crazy, and I'm wondering WHO is buying them! I haven't seen another one on the road yet!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
castleton

Post by castleton »

When I bought mine, Centrale said they are selling to a lot of out-of-staters, aka NY & Mass. But they also host rides every Wed. night (from Plainville, which is a ride in itself for me!). There are a lot of great rides in this area: Essex, Deep River, Salem. But alas, so far I'm the only Buddy rider to discover these (I think?).

:?
--Pam

ctpaddler2000

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

I go on most of the Wed night Central Scooter rides and never seen a Buddy beside the one's in the showroom. I believe that they they are mainly bought by aliens and taken to another planet for examination.
Last edited by ctpaddler2000 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellen

Post by ellen »

I heard that Javaspeed in Providence is going to be picking up the Buddy line. So they should be appearing more and more in the western part of the state and RI.

Besides, you don't necessarily have to ride with Buddy's.
Track down people locally with any type of scooter.
I've seen a Buddy hold its own while riding with a GTS.
So thats not a problem :)
castleton

Post by castleton »

Besides, you don't necessarily have to ride with Buddy's.
Track down people locally with any type of scooter.
Good point, Ellen! I'm still looking for any scooter group in the area (I don't want to ride 40-60 miles to meet up and ride!).

But you know how it is, it's also cool to share your enthusiasm about your bike model with like-minded owners!

*the lone buddy*
--Pam

avidgirl

Also in CT

Post by avidgirl »

I'm SW CT and about to become a new scooter owner. I pick up my Buddy 125 from Scooter Centale in two weeks. I'm very excited and a bit nervous to be riding a scooter for the first time. I've signed up for the Motorcycle Safety class and until then, I'll have my permit.

How can I find a scooter group in my area?
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Leigh... are you anywhere near the Danbury area? If so, you're local to us. Why don't you join this yahoo group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/WesternCTScoots/. This is where we post about our rides. We'd love to have you ride with us!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

I used to live in Mystic (sorry, moved away in 2003).

Anyway, there were people in the area that had scoots back then that I met. Peter, that ran a pub called something tavern in New London, (maybe dutch in the title) had a P200. There's a guy in Plainfield with an ET4 and a Series 1 TV. There's a couple of modern bikes I used to see in those condos on the Stonington side of the river in Mystic, right on the river, but they never came out on the rides. I know there were a few Vespa Ets down in Groton Long Point too.

The thing to do is, ride one local route regularly, same time and day every week, some where visible. I suggest doing the loop up River road in Mystic and going through Old Mystic and down Greemanville Ave on the Stonington side. Then park up in the High street and get ice cream and coffee or something whilst sitting on your bike. You'll be amazed at how many people stop to talk and ask about the bike, and tell you they have one, or know some one who has. Let all who talk to you know what time, where you start the ride, and what time of day, and soon enough, bunches of people will come out of the woodwork.

Thats what happened when I lived there anyway :)

Best of luck

Andrea
BTW, the River Road ride rocks, but be careful of that one right angled bend (slow down lots. Gravel/sand get stuck in the corner) and beep your horn at the ducks crossing the road for me ;)
castleton

Post by castleton »

Thanks Andrea--great advice re: coffee on bike in Mystic. Especially in summer--sure to attract attention on the main drag!

I've done part of the river road drive (drove my scoot over to Mystic for a weekend, going up to Salem and over to Norwich, then down Rte. 12 to avoid the Groton bridge). It's great, and I shall return and drive down a longer stretch for the sheer fun of it!
--Pam

avidgirl

Post by avidgirl »

Hi Shellee.

Sadly, I'm not too near Danbury. I'm in Stamford. I'll check out the Yahoo site but for the immediate future I don't think I'll be able to make regular club rides so far away. Do you know of any clubs closer to the Stamford area?

Thanks for the info!
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

Central CT here.