Hopefully New Owner, But Could Use Help Guys...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

davidschap

Hopefully New Owner, But Could Use Help Guys...

Post by davidschap »

Hi guys...

Well, it is time to upgrade my 1998 Yamaha Jog to a Buddy. I just went on a test drive of the 170i as well as the Italia 150. I have chosen the 170i. It just feels better to me & love the Mocha color... But, am I making the right decison in the longterm.

I can get the Italia for 3600 otd and the 170i is 4200 otd. I got the credit and will use the no payments for 6 months & probably pay it off or alot of it in that time. They also may want to buy my 1998 Jog as they all loved it lol...

I will be doing 2 up riding. I'm 5'4" & my girl is 5'2". We both together way about 260-275 depending on what we ate lol. I also like the option of being actually "legal" on the highway vice the 148cc (errr 150)

Anyway, is the fuel injection worth that 600 bucks ? The extra 20cc? The little bit of "umph" you feel ? I think it is but wanted to hear from you guys, as i'm new to the Buddy. All of the motorcycles I used to ride had to be fuel injected as it was just "that" easy, you know what I mean ?

Let me know any insight, i'd appreciate it... Again, really really leaning hard on the 170i, for pickup, color, fuel injection etc.

Thanx so much...
David
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Really hard to say, unfortunately. We've heard that when broken in, the 170 has distinct performance benefits over the 150. But that's mostly anecdotal and not enough people have racked up sufficient miles for us to have a consistent record of this.

That said, if you can afford the 170, with these scooters, they're rarely a mistake in getting higher displacement and the FI has its own benefits. And if you're going to be doing any freeway riding on something under 250cc, every CC counts. Same with riding 2-up.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Thanx for getting back Eric. Like you, live in Socal, all be it SD. Moving to Oceanside in a few weeks just off coast highway, & really wanted the scoot with my lady on the back... the 50 just can't hack it..

as you said, the cc's help, I know. All of my bikes were 1500's, loved them, but my hands just don't like to shift anymore. took a stella out today & just couldn't do it.

I will still be working in SD & most days will take the coaster to work, but i would like the option of a nice scoot in the summer time. it's about 40 miles to work & i think that would be super nice. Slow lane on the 5 sounds good.

with the 0 for 6 months, it is doable , will just have to pay it way down.

I'm leaning hard. got a call from Vespa Motorsports (scooterswest) and i'm all approved, so now it's just up to me...

Thanx
David
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You're definitely going to the right shop! I've been buying parts from them for years and have met some of the guys there. One of the best shops around with one of the best reputations in the country.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Agreed Eric... Bought all my stuff when they were on 30th Street, as it's right next to my current pad...

Always felt good with them, and started talking with T.C about a year ago when he was selling custom Stella's on clist. Low & behold, he got a job there and went to him today. He gave me the keys and said go, so I drove all over the place, hills, rough roads, flats, just all over. Felt great. The engine of the 170i has alot of pep, but boy it's got some vibration to her. I'm so used to my 50cc 2 stroke which you can't even feel on at times.

It's neither here nor there. A new scooter is a want, not necessarily a need, but I do want one, as my car is a 2007 Ford Ranger XLT with a 3" lift, so not the most economical ride. Mainly bought for the desert and quadding & camping... but nothing like a truck. my girl has a Kia Forte, so big, small, & scoot is a good quiver of rides.

Our goal is to park on friday & not really need the cars till Monday. Unfortunately, she can't ride, as a motorcycle accident rendered her left arm useless.

So time for me to carry the torch...

Thanx
David
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

My only suggestion would be to make sure it is comfortable with both of you on it. Any Buddy is really tight (to me) two up and not practical for anything but a short run. Eric's comments are spot on!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Most of it will be of the shorter run variety I believe, with me mainly solo, but for the weekends, fun with the girl. Living on coast highway, or just off, will be a little traficcy and will take a bit till open rode arises. She loves to eat, especially at those seaside out of the way places, and this is going to make it easy for us to hit them & park.

The only thing I am a little worried about, but shouldn't' be an issue is that my girlfriend had a motorcycle years ago (used to ride an F4I) and lost use of her left arm. She has ridden on bikes since then, crotch rocket style, so she said hanging on with the right inst an issue at all. She uses a wrap & wraps it to her body while riding passenger.

i will still eventually get a top case for her to lean on a bit, but that is the only thing that will take a few to get used to.

thanx
david
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
Scooter Attitude For Me...
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Oh, forgot to mention, me an her are tiny. I'm 5'4" & a little tippie toed on the 170i and she is 5'2. so will have to do like I did with my bikes. stand up & hold while passenger gets on and then me.

I also like the passenger foot pegs as well. Might be a future purchase for her. I would actually like to get footpegs for me as well, but not sure if they are made. Looked yesterday & couldn't find.

Thanx
David
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Well here she is guys... 2012 Buddy 170i. Also got the chrome front rack, as well as rear, and the foot pegs for my girlfriend...

OTD was $4550. Good for me... No payments / interest for 6 months...

Put about 22 miles on her so far, going through all sorts of terrain. She handles amazing well on the highway.

Had to put down about $400 and change as Genuine is kinda weird on financing with accessories. I have a 780 credit score & was still funky, so food for thought...

I de-badged her as I do that with all my bikes & quads, and gave her a quick clean once over. This was there show one for the 170i, so only had 11 miles on her.

Will do my greet now, and thanx again for the help... I look forward to getting to know you & see you on the Socal roads...

Thanx
David
Attachments
2012 Buddy 170i
2012 Buddy 170i
photo.JPG (106.69 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Yikes! With my...er... "modest" credit score, I've already resigned myself to paying cash OTD for my next scooter. But, that bike is a looker!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

LOL, thanx bro. I worked really hard on my credit and never let my "ex" wives touch the finances. Maybe that's why there exes ? who knows.

was just weird they they dont flip the bill with all the accessories. thought that was funny, but so be it.

It got a little confusing actually and looking at my receipts, and adding it all up, it came out, but asked for one more receipt with all the taxes on everything in on it, as it seems some of the receipts didn't have it.
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
rickko

Be careful!

Post by rickko »

davidschap wrote: I will still be working in SD & most days will take the coaster to work, but i would like the option of a nice scoot in the summer time. it's about 40 miles to work & i think that would be super nice. Slow lane on the 5 sounds good....
Thanx
David
Have you ridden in the rain grooves on the freeway yet? All I can say is, "Hang on!" That is probably the worst surface experience you'll encounter, and if it last for more than 10 to 15 seconds, you're going to be in for a real stressful freeway ride over those sections of the freeway.

I really hope you don't clog up the slow lane on I-5 for 40 miles; especially during work commute hours because your scooter is wobbling through the rain grooves. The wheelbase is so short and the wheels so small that you are going to find it a pretty thrilling ride at freeway speeds.

This is just my opinion but, these scooters were originally designed for worldwide distribution, not specifically the American market, where most riders never get over 40- 50mph. And most world-wide use is NOT on 65-70mph freeways. The width between the handlebar grips is too narrow for good stable leverage at high speeds. In my book, anyone taking a Buddy onto an American freeway is akin to being Evil Knevial jumping the Snake River but thats only my opinion.

After 50+ years of riding on 2-wheels (bicycles to Harley's) all over the world I'm a little leery of your expectations though I wish you well, and hope you don't ride 2-up with your daughters on I-5.

Good luck and congratulations on your new ride!
..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Thanx for the advice Rickko, but yeah, lived here for years and rode the grooves on my harley as well as my hondas & kawis. I'm taking the train from oside to national city 4 days out of the week with 1 day of driving, whether it be the scoot or my ranger.

I'm going to cut in and out once I find a route. Downtown is easy to work, just need to ride coast highway up & see the break off points, as i'm not 100% sure of them. I know it gets a little weird in Solana beach.

When I finally move, will drive her home and that is when i'll figure out all this stuff... location wise.

No, no daughters, no kids actually, just my girlfriend & my bulldog.

Thanx
David
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
rickko

My "Bulldog"

Post by rickko »

Sorry, got confused about the daughters comment.

Here's my girlfriend's "bulldog" riding along in front of her house. :D He actually jumps up on the floorboard whenever I get on the scooter (though he wants to go I don't take him anywhere). :D

..rickko..

Image[/img]
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

I've taken the coast a few times down to Sorrento Valley. Nice ride actually. One I would never have taken if I wasn't on a scooter. You can make it all the way down to National City without getting on the 5.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ocean ... h&t=h&z=10
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Congrats on the new scooter! Alex and the gang are the best!

I also don't take my Buddy on the freeways. That's what the GTS is for! I know a lot of people take a Buddy, ET, or LX on freeways but I'm not a fan of 10 inch wheels moving at those speeds.

I've been eyeing the 170 and really love the colors.

Hey you should join the second Sunday rides. We head down when we can. Rides meet at Kensington Coffee at 11am.

Welcome!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

Thanx lotrat, I appreciate that one. Been looking at numerous routes & I think I like the one you sent best acutally. The test will be in the next couple weeks on the way up as the finally of the move.

Once I get settled, would love to join. My girl & I went out for a small 20 mile jaunt downtown today. There was a Padre game so was a little trafficky, so I pulled over by the Hilton on Harbor, pulled all the way to the water, & we had a coffee. How nice...

She pulled well with both of us. I'm 5'4" & she 5'2" & total weight is probably 275.

Great day for a scoot & taking her out now to go get a cigar... Always looking for some excuse.

Thanx
David
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs
TVB

Re: My "Bulldog"

Post by TVB »

rickko wrote:Here's my girlfriend's "bulldog" riding along in front of her house. :D He actually jumps up on the floorboard whenever I get on the scooter (though he wants to go I don't take him anywhere). :D
You could try putting him in a sack (head sticking out) and hang it from the hook... ;)
davidschap

Post by davidschap »

LOL, my bull ? He weight 80 lbs. Dont think the hook could handle it.
2012 Buddy 170i
Front Rack
Rear Rack
Crash Bars
Footpegs