Buddy vs. People S 50?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neim0003

Buddy vs. People S 50?

Post by neim0003 »

Hello, looking for some convincing and help. I am a first-time scooter buyer and after doing some research am trying to decide between the Buddy 50cc and People S 50 4T.

I am buying slightly used and have my eye on either:
* 2008 Buddy 50cc with 800 miles - $1500
* 2008 People S 50 4T with 500 miles - $1200

Both are like-new condition and after test-riding, are both equally fun to drive. Is there a convincing argument for one vs. the other? Would love your input on the value and asking price. Thanks!
Last edited by neim0003 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akaipaps

Post by Akaipaps »

I just took a look at Kelley Blue Book online. It may not be the best reference for used vehicles, but it's free!

www.kbb.com/motorcycle

They're saying the Buddy is worth $1400 retail, and the Kymco People is worth $1450. Take it for what it's worth.

The advice that I was given since I don't know how to work on an engine was to pick the one that you can get serviced.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Probably get myself in trouble here, but I'll ask. Are you an experienced scooter rider? If not, how did you decide that one of these 50s is the right scooter for you? Most low mileage 50s are on the market because the buyer fairly quickly decided they wanted more power. Just be sure you are matching yourself up with the right bike - prices sound reasonable BTW, but there is always room for bargaining on a used scooter. Alternately, prices on 125 Buddys are also looking pretty good right now :wink: .
neim0003

Post by neim0003 »

Dooglas wrote:Probably get myself in trouble here, but I'll ask. Are you an experienced scooter rider? If not, how did you decide that one of these 50s is the right scooter for you? Most low mileage 50s are on the market because the buyer fairly quickly decided they wanted more power. Just be sure you are matching yourself up with the right bike - prices sound reasonable BTW, but there is always room for bargaining on a used scooter. Alternately, prices on 125 Buddys are also looking pretty good right now :wink: .
Not a bad question. To be fair, i am not an experienced rider, but i have definitely done my research. I was dumb and bought a $200 Chinese junker last fall that didn't even make it to spring. Now I am doing my homework before making a real investment. I know I want a 50cc, becuase i do not have a motorcycle endorsement and do not intend to get one. Also, only need this for driving around Downtown Minneapolis and the UofM campus. I have ridden a few 50cc's and am happy with the power i get (once vehicle is derestricted). After going through all the models and reviews from a few local dealers, i decided to seek out the ones i like used on my own. After a couple weeks, i've narrowed it down to these two and just can't decide! If price was equal, is there a any advice to help me decide? Thanks.
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

My opinion is most definitely with the Buddy. The clincher for me is 2t vs. 4t and the extra power and lower maintenance you get with it. Why deal with messy oil changes and added moving parts that might go bad on you some day. Also, I think the Buddy has a slightly better look to it. There's just something abou the big wheels I don't really like.

I'd try to talk them down in the $1500 though. Even with only 800 miles, it seems a little high to me (or maybe I just feel bad about selling my 50 for less :-)
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
fiddlefan

Post by fiddlefan »

The KYMCO People S50 is heavy, big and way too slow, especially going up hill. They also have terrible resale values for that reason and is also one of the reasons KYMCO no longer sells it....it's a discontinued model. If the Buddy meets your other requirements, get the lightweight, nimble, and peppier Buddy 50 2-stroke over the slow KYMCO People S50 4-stroke!!!
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Can't speak to the People 50 as I have no experience with that scooter. The Buddy 50 is amazing and has given me zero problems in the 3 years & 3k miles I've put on it. Hopefully TVB will chime in as he's put way more miles on His Buddy 50 than I have on mine. I will say that the 2T Buddy 50 does much better on hills than other 4Ts I've seen on the streets around here. It also does somewhat better on the top end as well. As for bigger wheels, they are more stable at high speeds than the smaller wheels but you'll never see those speeds on a 50cc scooter so I wouldn't worry about it. I have an sh150i as well and although the bigger wheels do make the scooter less twitchy they also make it less fun to ride than the buddy 50.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

buddy 50 has 10 inch tires , kymco 16 inch tires , theres pros and cons to both you just have to decide for yourself, either way if you a kymco you can still be apart of modern buddy :D , im proof, plus kymco forum isn't near as informative to me as modern buddy
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am sure you could get either for less the resale value on 50's is not great.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I have no specific knowledge about the Kymco, good or bad, except that I'm sure it'd be a big step in quality over your Mainland scoot.

As you've heard, a 2T engine will give better acceleration than a 4T. On the other hand, it'll be noisier. Burning oil is more convenient than changing it, but a bit more harmful to the environment (assuming proper disposal of the changed oil). Just things to think about if they matter to you.

I went with the Buddy 50, and even though I'd rather it were quieter and smoked less, I am very very pleased with it. It's taken me over 10K miles (including two week-long road trips around the state of Michigan, another in the planning stages) with no serious trouble.

The folks who question whether you really want a 50cc mean well; it's a good question to ask, because many people would be happier with something faster. On the other hand, "Yes, I want a 50," is a perfectly good answer to their question. :) I had mine derestricted, and I'm perfectly happy (98% of the time) being limited to 40mph. (My mother is happier knowing that, too, though I think she's more pleased by the fact that I wear a helmet and armored jacket.)

The worst crisis with my Buddy 50 was when it tipped over on a hill (just using the kickstand) and one of the brake levers broke off; there is a chance that might have been partially my fault. :) Second worst problem was some loss of power and stalling in damp weather a few thousand miles ago, which was fixed by an overdue engine cleaning and fresh spark plug; that might be my fault too. Other than that, occasional check-ups at the shop, and replacing expendables like tires and brake pads (once each) and oil and gas (many more times), it's been the least hassle I've had from any vehicle I've owned. Other than "I just like this other thing better", the only reason I can think of not to buy a Buddy 50 is if it's white. I don't like white. ;)
neim0003

Post by neim0003 »

Thank you everyone for the great insight! I went and rode the People S 50 again after reading your comments and didn't realize how gigantic it really was! After riding a Buddy, the People was just way bigger than I wanted. I am happy to say I am going with the Buddy. However, I did decide to find one at a better price. The 2008 for $1500 was actually listed at $1900 and i said it was too high ... which is why it came down to $1500. But with the KBB value at $1400 and the supply available, i am going to hold out for a less expensive version.

Everyone has been very helpful, thank you all!
neim0003

Post by neim0003 »

P.S. This forum is incredible helpful, informattive and responsive. Thank you Modern Buddy!
mg1342mg

Post by mg1342mg »

Go with the 2 stroke. They are livelier and simpler than 4t (usually). Further, for me, a small scoot is only a scoot with a mighty 2t buzzing away (and with a Leo Vince, sound like a very angry chainsaw). As you gain mechanical confidence they are fun and easy to modify.
neim0003

Post by neim0003 »

Are there any good threads in here about how to modify the 50cc to go faster? I know deresitricting gets you to 40-45, but i have read about some people that get theres up to 60. What does it take to do that??
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

money.

really though, there is no reason to go that fast if you aren't going to get the motorcycle endorsement. Snelling is 50mph on the north side of town, and that is the fastest stretch you will find not on a highway.

Also, I would get an alarm. scoots get ripped off all the time at the U. there are just so many of them and it is really easy to do. make your bike the less attractive option.

to answer your question though, the only real way to reliably go faster would be to get a quality 70cc kit. But you will need to mess with the carb, air intake, exhaust, and transmission in order to get your money's worth. and that gets expensive fast. doubly so if you are having the shop do the work. like $1000, to get the performance of the 125/150 and you will greatly reduce the reliability of the bike.

-duo
Akaipaps

Post by Akaipaps »

I'd be looking in the paper and in Craigslist. I got mine for $1500, they were asking $1900, and I probably could have gone lower. My hubby offered $1500 as his lowest price, and they took it without blinking. Should have started the offer at $1350............

It's a 2008 Buddy 125 with 1500 miles on it.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

good point.

check craigslist and flyers around the U. best time to buy is right around graduation.

-duo
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

neim0003 wrote:Are there any good threads in here about how to modify the 50cc to go faster? I know deresitricting gets you to 40-45, but i have read about some people that get theres up to 60. What does it take to do that??
Careful, this can become an addiction :evil:
Orange '08 Buddy 125
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

paikkylee wrote:
neim0003 wrote:Are there any good threads in here about how to modify the 50cc to go faster? I know deresitricting gets you to 40-45, but i have read about some people that get theres up to 60. What does it take to do that??
Careful, this can become an addiction :evil:
yup, and you can end up sinking a whole lot of loot into the pursuit of Buddy 50 super speed :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
neim0003

Post by neim0003 »

It was more curiosity than anything else. I'm not taking it on the highways and am fairly confident the current speed will be good. Not much chance to go above 40 when there are stoplights every block :-)

Thanks everyone!
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

Wirth Parkway, Minnehaha falls ride, I bet you could find a few more places to push it.
Orange '08 Buddy 125