iPod your Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SirLexelot

iPod your Buddy?

Post by SirLexelot »

Hi all,

I've been digging through this forum (which is fantastic, BTW) and I've seen several different approaches for hooking up an MP3 player like an iPod on your Buddy.

I'd like this to be a thread where people organize their thoughts on this subject, and I'd specifically love to hear from the different people who've already added MP3 players to their Buddy about exactly how they did it and what it cost.

So please tell us how you iPodded your Buddy, what you used for an amplifier, how you hooked it into the electrical system, what speakers you used, where you placed them, where you got the parts, etc! :D
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I'm with SirLexelot. I'm really interested in how this is setup, however I have no modding expertise.. Mods that drill holes in the body work scare me. I was thinking it would be cool to throw speakers where the bug-eyed turn signals were (after activating the lower ones, of course). Is this doable? I'm guessing you would just have to find the right speakers and run the wires through the column area (I'm so technical and specific, I know).

I will be greatly anticipating replies to this thread. Thanks.
angieyou3

Post by angieyou3 »

bwilms??? is this kim weitzman's friend from bedford???? :?:
dsleedesign

Post by dsleedesign »

I did it. I bought motorcycle speakers off of ebay for $80, Mounted the AMP inside the legshield.

Works way better then I thought.

Sorry no pictures yet.... I hopefully will get to it this weekend.
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

We have a system for $159 that has an amp, fm radio, aux-in for cd/mp3 players, and some nice loud clear speakers. It would mount up nicely on the buddy. We had one on a shop bike, and when I pulled up to my friend's house, they thought I had a car with a PA until they saw it was me on a scooter.
Attachments
aboveglovebox.jpg
aboveglovebox.jpg (49.63 KiB) Viewed 8110 times
etmirrors2.jpg
etmirrors2.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 8110 times
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
SirLexelot

Post by SirLexelot »

That stereo system looks sweet! That's probably exactly what I need.

Is it available from your website? I couldn't seem to track it down. Also, how does it hook into the electrical system and what's the wattage?

Thanks again!
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

It is on my website. It's in the "for the rider" section at the top of the screen. 50watt amp. It comes with the two electrical leads to run to your battery. The rest is just mounting the amp and speakers. The speakers would mount quite easily at the base of the mirrors.

Genuine contacted me about this thread and wanted me to tell y'all that this will most likely void your warranty. "No tunes for you!"
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Motorsport Scooters wrote:Genuine contacted me about this thread and wanted me to tell y'all that this will most likely void your warranty. "No tunes for you!"
There's been a lot of debate on other forums regarding what will/won't void a warranty. Genuine's claim that adding something as small as a sound system will totally void the warranty frightens me somewhat. Others have advised that mods won't affect warranty unless there's a problem that can be traced directly to the modification. For example, if I add an iPod amp/speakers and my carb goes out the carb is still covered. But an electrical problem may not be.

I'm a little more conservative because, even if that's legally accurate, I don't want to have to hire lawyers before making a mod.

But seriously! Speakers?! That's equivalent to saying that putting an amp/cd changer/new stereo in a car would void the warranty. Bah.
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Genuine's concern was that the charging system would not support the 50watt amplifier. This would affect the battery, which I seriously doubt is covered anyway. I'm guessing they would like me to plug their own stereo system that they sell for the other Genuine scooter....

http://www.scooterworks.com/Stereo_Kit_ ... _P4462.cfm

Here's a quote from their website about the kit they sell with an amplifier of the same wattage which draws the same amount of power....

"If your stock electrical system is working correctly, it will be more than enough to power the stereo and still charge your battery."

Maybe the Stella produces more additional power than the buddy.

I still don't know what it has to do with the carburetor....
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

It would be illegal for them to void the warranty on the Buddy, at least as far as something other than the charging system is concerned.

Thank you, Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. :D
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Motorsport Scooters wrote:I still don't know what it has to do with the carburetor....
Nothing! My point, exactly. :D
dru_

Post by dru_ »

Having done some research on this subject, I've concluded that the 'best' answer would be a wireless to the helmet setup.

So, I have a working theory, the hard part is the implementation.

There are a couple of options for your helmet with a bluetooth headset, be it the http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider/ or a helmet with BT built in. The second bit, the iPod, which doesn't have a bluetooth adapter yet, though, Jabra supposedly has one coming RSN ( http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable ... 184549.php ) as well as another potentially from Apple, that problem may be solved soon. However, in the meantime, I've been using my Palm Tungsten, with a 1gb card to carry tunes to run BT to my helmet I find that this is much easier. Toss the Tungsten under the seat, and go.

Just a thought.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dru_ wrote:Having done some research on this subject, I've concluded that the 'best' answer would be a wireless to the helmet setup.

So, I have a working theory, the hard part is the implementation.

There are a couple of options for your helmet with a bluetooth headset, be it the http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider/ or a helmet with BT built in. The second bit, the iPod, which doesn't have a bluetooth adapter yet, though, Jabra supposedly has one coming RSN ( http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable ... 184549.php ) as well as another potentially from Apple, that problem may be solved soon. However, in the meantime, I've been using my Palm Tungsten, with a 1gb card to carry tunes to run BT to my helmet I find that this is much easier. Toss the Tungsten under the seat, and go.

Just a thought.
It's likely the next-gen iPod will have some kind of wireless capability. Bluetooth would be awesome.

You could also use something like an iTrip or other transmitter and any old FM receiver, but these tend not to work well in urban areas where the radio spectrum is crowded and the quality is the same as radio.
dru_

Post by dru_ »

I've ordered some parts to possibly assemble a custom mount and kit to build a bluetooth cradely for an iPod that goes into the right side basket (I've mentioned that I'm a hardcore nerd/geek right ?)

Looks like the hard part is going to working out the security pairing logic on a device that has no UI, because I'm looking at a 'dumb' interface rather than doing the custom programming to use the iPod interface.

We'll see how things go.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dru_ wrote:I've ordered some parts to possibly assemble a custom mount and kit to build a bluetooth cradely for an iPod that goes into the right side basket (I've mentioned that I'm a hardcore nerd/geek right ?)

Looks like the hard part is going to working out the security pairing logic on a device that has no UI, because I'm looking at a 'dumb' interface rather than doing the custom programming to use the iPod interface.

We'll see how things go.
There are a bunch of 3rd party products out there to BT-enable an iPod:
Some at the We Love Macs store (Windows-friendly, too).
Bluetake makes a Bluetooth transmitter and Bluetooth headphones.
Also, Jabra has announced a BT adaptor.

If you do create some kind of custom hack, I'd love to see it. You should post it to the MakeZine blog... they'd freak.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Does this fit the Buddy 125? If not, is the one available for it?

Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Genuine has asked me to tell you that the buddy will not support a 50w amplifier. We have one for sale in our scooter stereo kit that we use on a buddy and it doesn't seem to cause any problems, but Genuine said the buddy will not support the electrical load. The one pictured is of the same electrical draw as ours (50watts peak).
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corsair wrote:Does this fit the Buddy 125? If not, is the one available for it?

It would take some modification, especially since all the electronics are in the glove box, which the Buddy doesn't have. It may work with the 12V electrical system, but Genuine has already indicated that it would void part of the warranty... bah. (I'd be worried about the amplifier pulling too much.)

For all the cost, time and trouble to make this work, you could probably adapt some kind of off the shelf powered system that would be easier to remove and stash in the pet carrier when you're not using it.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Deleted by user
Last edited by BlueMark on Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BlueMark wrote:Looks like iMuffs would be an easy solution - no messing with the scoot's electrical system (or warrantee), and integrates with BT cell phones too. Might have to mod your helmet if you wear anything more than a half shell.
These are pretty cool. I personally wouldn't use headphones while riding because I like hearing what's aorund me and would be just as distracted as a cager if I were getting calls via my Bluetooth phone. Plus these would be illegal to use in CA, where we may only use one earphone/bud (for comm systems). But I'm also a technophile and like seeing cool solutions.

The problem with these would be the controls on the side... inaccessible and may get pressed in if placed in the helmet. The more-expensive NaviPlay allows you to use any headphones and has a "remote." On a scoot, though, may well just plug 'em into the iPod. So...?

A few people on ModernVespa have come up with speaker solutions. Check the thread here. Here's one on Bluetooth audio.