Plug For MSF Basic Rider Course

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Plug For MSF Basic Rider Course

Post by lobsterman »

For all you new Buddy owners who haven't already taken it, here's a plug for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider Course.

Go to http://msf-usa.org/ and find a course near you, register, and go take it. Your state probably has it's own site, in Ohio it's http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

Google is your friend, with a little imagination I am sure you can find the site for your state.

Many states subsidize the cost, in Ohio it's only $25, a real bargain.

Don't be deterred if classes are filled for the rest of the year, most have walk-in policies, which is how I got into a full class last year.

Some states will also let you take the course on your own bike if you ask nicely, I took mine on my Buddy after getting permission from the Ohio coordinator.

The course is well worth the time, effort, and cost. Ask anyone who has taken it.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
diane

Re: Plug For MSF Basic Rider Course

Post by diane »

lobsterman wrote:The course is well worth the time, effort, and cost. Ask anyone who has taken it.
agreed!

although in missouri it costs about $200.00 and they said no way on bringing your own bike. i would still recommend it to anyone though.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

Yes, definitely well worth the time, effort and money! :lol:

I live in Minnesota and I think my class cost $160. I used my Honda Elite 80cc scooter for the class. I was the only one who used a scooter. One guy wanted to use his own motorcycle but I think they told him it was too big (a Honda or Yamaha sports bike).
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
redcass

Post by redcass »

I also agree that the course was well worth it! I had great instructors. I had no driving experience before the class, but nearly half the students did. I was nervous about the test, but ended up with the 2nd best score--woot!

In Illinois it costs $20 to register, but the $ is refunded after completing the course.

I can't imagining riding without the knowledge I gained in this class.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I crashed 1 day before my MSF course started. I was reading Proficient Motorcycling and practicing some of the things from the MSF Scooter PDf I post on here a million times.

I passed the MSF course with 100%. It's one thing to "know" the mistakes. It's another to live them. It's also great to have people point out when/where and how you are making mistakes and to CORRECT THEM immediately!!!

New to riding, haven't ridden in a while...it's all good! It NEVER hurts to go over the basics!

PLEASE take the MSF Basic Rider or Experienced Rider Courses!
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Thansk for the board in general!

So, taking the recs on the MSF course to heart. It sounds like a very good idea. But given time and cost limitations... And may be too late now...

I signed up for a 4 hour "MSF Scooter school" through a local Motorcycle school that also offers the Basic MSF course. Obviously I will have much less riding time, it being a 4 hour course. I do plan on purchasing a Buddy 125 this weekend privately. Any thoughts on the Scooter school vs the full two day course? http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/ss.html

I suppose I should add that they require me to take it on their bike (both Scooter and full course), and I have no desire to learn how to drive a regular bike with shifting etc. It does strike me that learning to drive a full motorcycle (even the little ones) is going to be kind of a waste of time for me. My only desire is for the automatic shifting on my intended Buddy! :D
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

lobsterman wrote:Google is your friend
Noah is my friend.

Dave
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ScooterDave wrote:
lobsterman wrote:Google is your friend
Noah is my friend.

Dave
Hey, you took that out of context.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sleepyk

Post by sleepyk »

Ed Hit wrote: I suppose I should add that they require me to take it on their bike (both Scooter and full course), and I have no desire to learn how to drive a regular bike with shifting etc. It does strike me that learning to drive a full motorcycle (even the little ones) is going to be kind of a waste of time for me. My only desire is for the automatic shifting on my intended Buddy! :D
My wife and I are taking it this weekend and I know we had the same concerns. Neither of us have any riding experience and she has never operated anything with a clutch. The course moves at the perfect pace and we are having a blast. While we are learning some items that are specific to manual motorcyles, much of the information is completely transferrable to scooters (proper mounting, braking, swerving, turning, body position..). I think we are go to be twice as prepared for the world of "twist and go" after two long days of multitasking on a manual motorcyle.

I can't comment on the scooter course you are looking at, but I imagine starting your 2 wheel experience with any foundation in safety is the right thing to do.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ed Hit wrote:I signed up for a 4 hour "MSF Scooter school" through a local Motorcycle school that also offers the Basic MSF course. Obviously I will have much less riding time, it being a 4 hour course. I do plan on purchasing a Buddy 125 this weekend privately. Any thoughts on the Scooter school vs the full two day course? http://www.motorcyclelearning.com/ss.html

I suppose I should add that they require me to take it on their bike (both Scooter and full course), and I have no desire to learn how to drive a regular bike with shifting etc. It does strike me that learning to drive a full motorcycle (even the little ones) is going to be kind of a waste of time for me. My only desire is for the automatic shifting on my intended Buddy! :D
The problem with scooter school is that you don't get a waiver for your DMV riding test upon completion.

The full course spends much more time on riding skills applicable to both scooters and motorcycles than shifting. Shifting is really less than an hour out of the whole thing, especially since they do the whole course in 1st & 2nd gears. The rest covers riding from the very basics on up. I don't know what they pack into the 4 hours or scooter school, but for a totally new rider most of the classroom and riding skills in the full course are beneficial; it's not a waste of time.

I already had my license and almost 10K riding experience when I took MSF. I rode my scoot, but that just meant I sat there and faked it when they taught other people to shift. I kind of regretted not riding one of their course bikes. Still, the course was beneficial, especially the slightly more advanced skills in day 2. Plus I got perfect scores on my riding test, with my wife who also rode her Buddy close behind. Some of those motorcycle n00bs in our class became scooter converts that weekend.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…