back pain after riding

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

blurblaine

back pain after riding

Post by blurblaine »

17 AUG 2011

After most rides I tend to have a stiff back and mild pain for awhile ... which I attribute to the Blur's sporty suspension, the thin seat, the fact that I'm 49, and the reality that the roads around Cincinnati are not very smooth.

For those with similar issues, I suggest that you try a riding belt = aka a kidney belt. www.bikebandit.com/alpinestars-orion-kidney-belt I just picked up the Aplinestars Orion Belt and it really makes a huge difference. After my 25 mile ride to work this morning, my back feels 100% great... and that is typically not the case. Bottom line = the extra support really helps.

Just thought I'd pass this on... hope it helps you too
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Good suggestion, and one day I'll be as old as you are now :P I'm much younger at 48 :shock:

I love my Alaska Leather Butt Pad (romantic name, I know), and find that it provides just enough extra cushion in the right place (tail bone) where the Blur 220's thinest padding is. Perhaps the belt, the pad and my new squishy Michelin tires would be the best solution for back pain?
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Where is your pain?

I used to get pain in my lower back. I found that sitting up straight instead of slouching helped.

Doing core exercises helps a lot, too.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

yEAH. i"M a young 44, and don't ride a dirt bike ever without a "kidney belt". The extra back support is really noticeable at the end of the day.

I have ridden 2 blurs and I personally think the rear shock is marginal at best...That is my main complaint with the blur, it needs an option of a better shock, something Scooterworks has in the works I hope. Also the ability to lower the bike an inch or 2 would be nice. For me at 6'3" its no issue, but the lady I know with one could use an inch or two... Though she does quite well.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

viney266 wrote:yEAH. i"M a young 44, and don't ride a dirt bike ever without a "kidney belt". The extra back support is really noticeable at the end of the day.

I have ridden 2 blurs and I personally think the rear shock is marginal at best...That is my main complaint with the blur, it needs an option of a better shock, something Scooterworks has in the works I hope. Also the ability to lower the bike an inch or 2 would be nice. For me at 6'3" its no issue, but the lady I know with one could use an inch or two... Though she does quite well.
If you pulled the rear shock and got the measurements, I would suspect that Ohlins or WP or one of the other high-end shock makers would have something, but you're looking at a component which would cost around 1/3 the cost of the bike. Not necessarily a good thing.

You might find comparable measurements to a stock sportbike, or, you might find a better spring rate (depending on your weight) for the bike. But someone has to go and do that research.

I don't have a Blur anymore so I'm out. :D