Richmond Earthquake!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

djelliott

Richmond Earthquake!!

Post by djelliott »

Felt it here in Cleveland. Our whole building moved. Just checking up on our Richmond, VA members.
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

felt it here in Indy as well. co-worker got motion sick for a bit.
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Felt in Akron too, funny thing is there is construction across the street, and I thought that what made the house shake, until my friend Jill posted on Facebook that she felt it in Hudson, about 15 miles away. Crazy. Hope everyone in VA is ok. My sister lives in Arlington and works in DC.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Present and accounted for! We were in the car in traffic and didn't notice the quake. When we got home, we had some stuff that had fallen off shelves. I'm much more concerned about Hurricane Irene. We had a very bad experience with another hurricane whose name began with an "I" and we are directly in the projected path of Irene.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Felt in Akron too, funny thing is there is construction across the street, and I thought that what made the house shake, until my friend Jill posted on Facebook that she felt it in Hudson, about 15 miles away. Crazy. Hope everyone in VA is ok. My sister lives in Arlington and works in DC.
I'm in Arlington too, it was pretty scary and thousands of people fled their buildings. I'm working at the fire station downtown and ran outside as well. First I thought it was a plane crash or explosion. It got very busy, mostly people paranoid and gas leaks. No major damage in Arlington as of now. This is our first break in a while, hope everyone is well.
izark47

Post by izark47 »

News Update:

I was at my cycle shop in Carlisle PA, and all the scooters came through fine and with out a scratch.

the ground did shake a bit, but all were fine. Film at 11:00
TVB

Post by TVB »

Felt it here in Grand Rapids MI. Not clearly enough to be sure, but a few people asked "did you feel something?" so that's confirmation.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:Present and accounted for! We were in the car in traffic and didn't notice the quake.
Good to hear the impact was pretty mild.

I once rode my scooter through a quake, totally oblivious to it. Got home, parked, looked up and saw all the cars on my block bobbing!

Good luck with Irene. Hopefully, it won't be too severe.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

The east coast should just fall off into the ocean anyway. Just kidding. Hope everyone is ok.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Was in my loft office upstairs here in Annapolis. After about 10 seconds of shaking, the whole house started swaying alarmingly for another 20 seconds or so. Was sure I'd have some wall cracks, but nothing worse than a few things falling off shelves.

'Twas a sphincter-puckering moment for sure, though!
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
texepictetus

Quake

Post by texepictetus »

My neighborhood in Alexandria, VA was built in th 1800's. I saw some new sinkholes and some brickwork fell from some buildings and smashed cars, but nothing big.

Epicenter is really close to a couple of nuclear plants. Maybe we should all be on Zombie watch tonight. Just had an aftershock party at a local wine shop.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

I just watched a few videos... the buildings back east are not built for quakes that's for sure.

Here's how it goes in Cali for comparison:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oG8dA94g99A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
bluebuddygirl wrote:Felt in Akron too, funny thing is there is construction across the street, and I thought that what made the house shake, until my friend Jill posted on Facebook that she felt it in Hudson, about 15 miles away. Crazy. Hope everyone in VA is ok. My sister lives in Arlington and works in DC.
I'm in Arlington too, it was pretty scary and thousands of people fled their buildings. I'm working at the fire station downtown and ran outside as well. First I thought it was a plane crash or explosion. It got very busy, mostly people paranoid and gas leaks. No major damage in Arlington as of now. This is our first break in a while, hope everyone is well.
Glad you are alright. Seems like areas with a lot of damage are pretty minimal. My sister and family are fine. My parents who are only 2 hours north were disappointed that they didn't feel it. Funny how no one wants to be in the earthquake but if it happened nearby everyone wants to have felt it.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

chinaski wrote:felt it here in Indy as well. co-worker got motion sick for a bit.
^^^ sounds like someone psyched themselves out...

The building moved rattled a bit, but not all that...The Earth does this from time to time...No worries
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Gawker:
Californians Are Being Insufferable About This Earthquake

Pretty funny even they're calling it the "DC quake," which sort of points to their own metropolitan biases.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
vabeancounter

Post by vabeancounter »

We live about 20 miles from where the quake was centered. All is fine here. Weird feeling though house just kept shaking strongest I ever felt.
This is my first post just bought a buddy st tropez 150 Saturday. Have an MP3 but that is leaving the stable on Monday. Fellow buying it called to see if I was ok (yea right ) I told him no problem your scoot is unscathed. He is buying the MP3 and driving it back to Nashville Monday.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Ok, so I know it was more serious than this, although mild compared to what the west coast goes through, although like snow in the south, the east coast is not prepared for earthquakes, but I had to share this.

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-08-23-ph ... earthquake
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Scary stuff, let the world is comming to and end, and the sky is falling folks start the rantings now... I'm glad that there are no reports of major damage or injures, are there? R
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I felt it in Philly! I'm a huge Earth Sciences dork, and I'd always wanted to feel an earthquake, so I thought it was really cool. Of course, I'm glad no one was hurt, and I'm sad a spire fell off the National Cathedral & the Washington Monument suffered damage.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/59- ... llery.html
ModBud #442
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

end times,just joking must have heard that a hundred times today.i was getting ready for work when it hit,thought it was some was giant truck down-shifting til i looked outside and saw the telephone poles swaying.pretty exciting day.