Need advice on mods for 2006 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

huskerchic

Need advice on mods for 2006 125

Post by huskerchic »

I've been a bit frustrated lately with the statement "not available for the 2006 Buddy". I have a list of items that I want to mod, and have been searching the archives to see if others have been able to accomplish what I'd like to do.

1. Add a 12v outlet (sounds like surgery is needed)

2. Change out the headlight assembly for the current larger version. (hoping this allows me to use a brighter bulb).

3. Change the short stock mirrors for black rectangular ones. (found some on eBay that are 8mm with reverse threads, but they are in Hong Kong)

4. Change out the brake light for something brighter. (is that even possible?) and then hook up the dead lights in the front as blinkers / running lights. (guess I need to get this package from voodoo scooter parts)

5. New grips or a crazy good cleaner! (my white grips are a bit dingy)

I have the black rack and crash bars with a givi e30 box installed (want to install the brake light). I have the prima pipe installed.

Any other mods you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance MB friends!!
chillas61210

Post by chillas61210 »

I put a halogen bulb in my 06 and it was fine try that for the headlight mod not sure what watts we used I would have to ask.
Lindsay
viney266

Post by viney266 »

new grips, far easier than trying to clean them

35/35 W halogen works wonders

The 12v outlet? The charging system in these bikes isn't all that. Don't plan on too much for that outlet, but yeah, you can just "cut" one into the side of the seat pan.

You could get a LED bulb for the tailight, cost you about $10, but it should be brighter if you get a good one, AND it will save some juice to run that headlight.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Bar end mirrors. Even the sub-$20 models on eBay turned out nice. I won't go back to the wobbly, vibrating stock stalks.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

You can change out the brakelight assembly for the current models' LED version. Your local Genuine dealer can order it direct.
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Givi maks a brake light kit that fits your top box. Just be sure to order the correct one. There are a few threads on installation. I know I wrote a few things about the installation. If you need help just ask or shoot me a pm. If you are adding the brakelight kit to the top box I wouldn't bother changing out the stock barke light

Scooterworks sells a brighter headlight bulb for the Vintage 06 models. This was a big topic of discussion in the early days of MB but personally I have not found the stock headlight to be that bad, then again, I ride a vintage Vespa 6v system. Changing out the entire headset is going to be a big wiring job, and besides...you don't want to loose that vintage Buddy look!

For the grips I would give Simple Green a try before changing out. I don't know whats in that stuff but I used it to clean many "uncleanable" things.

Adding a 12v outlet is not a big job but as mentioned before you can't do much with it besides charging a phone. I think the later outlets had an inline 1 amp fuse. I have never missed not having one.

I had one of the stock mirror stems break (bad casting) and just replaced with the later longer stem ones, a definite improvement. If you want other mirrors there are tons available.

The deadlight hook up is a snap. You can do it yourself very cheaply, or if it makes you more comfortable, order the kit. There are many many many many many many threads regarding deadlights.

Keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL