Buddy hard to ride?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

macgawd

Buddy hard to ride?

Post by macgawd »

Hello everyone,

I have yet to be able to purchase the Buddy 125, but I've noticed that at least 3 people on this discussion board have had accidents or mishaps with their Buddy's. Are these things difficult to ride/handle or something? Kinda makes me nervous about buying one... :shock:

Michael
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I don't think they are hard to ride. If you read the descriptions of the accidents, they involve wet roads, gravel, uneven pavement, etc. These are hazards on any 2-wheeler. If you go over to Urbanscootin.com where most people have Honda Metropolitans (50cc), they'll have the same stories - same as most large motorcycle riders. Inexperienced riders have more accidents than experienced riders, but experienced riders wreck also.

The key is to find the bike or scooter that fits your size, strength, riding style, and function, and then practice, practice, practice, take the MSF course if available in your area, and try to avoid the sort of hazards listed above. If you can't avoid them, make sure you always have on good riding gear. As someone else has already stated, not sure if it's this forum or Urbanscootin, riders are divided into 2 categories: those who have wrecked and those who haven't wrecked YET.

Scoot safe,
Jody
sparty

Post by sparty »

I guess I am one of those who had a minor misshap with their Buddies. Mine happened when I took a downhill turn on a pile of fine gravel... and I slipped. I guess that's part being a beginner and part being...... who the heck put gravel in corners anyway???? :cry:

I have never rode a bike before and the it really didn't take much effort for me to ride the Buddy...
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

You also cannot go wrong with David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling, which is a great reference book. I still re-read sections periodically just to periodically "freshen up" on theory.
sparty

Post by sparty »

Everyone said how great that book (Proficient Motorcycling) is...but I tried reading it and it's almost like a science/physic book. It looks like there's a lot of good infromation in it, but I think it's a bit dry.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

My spill can also be attributed to a lack of experience. If you want safety, stick with a four-wheeler. Even though I'm still a little scared when I get on my Buddy, I'm not going to let that stop me from enjoying it.

Keep your wits about you, and know the limitations of the machine, and you'll be fine.

Also, don't panic and slam on the brakes. That's bad.
Not really from Iceland.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

:zzz: I'm with you on that one, Sparty. Proficient Motorcycling is dry, but also loaded with great, practical info that is easy to apply to keep you safe. I'm slowly plugging through it and practicing what they preach. Because of that book, I know I am a smarter, safer rider!

BTW, I've riden a few scooters and the Buddy is the first one I've owned. I find it extremely stable and corners easily with a little practice. Don't shy away from it. It certainly is NOT the Buddy. It is novices on any scooter with unfortunate circumstances. :wink:
Laura
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure that if I went to any motorcycle forum, I'd find as many stories of such mishaps, but I guess my trepidation comes from knowing many motorcyclists, and not a single one of them has ever had an accident due to gravel or a wet road. It is why I wondered about the handling ability of the Buddy.

Michael
toga28

Post by toga28 »

Funny that this thread was at the top when I logged in, as I had my first minor spill today. Wet concrete on a corner. Luckily I was going very slow out of wariness, and was able to just hop off my Buddy as it went down. Jogged a little circle back to it, picked it up, and off I went.

Buddy is definitely an easy ride.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

macgawd wrote:Thanks for the responses. I'm sure that if I went to any motorcycle forum, I'd find as many stories of such mishaps, but I guess my trepidation comes from knowing many motorcyclists, and not a single one of them has ever had an accident due to gravel or a wet road. It is why I wondered about the handling ability of the Buddy.

Michael
Perhaps, but I'll bet you'll find many (myself included) that have had plenty of OH SH!T moments that were very close to becoming an incident.

From reading this and other scooter boards, it seems like many people just buy their scoot, hop on, and expect that it's going to be just like riding a bicycle. It may have only ~8hp, but clearly it doesn't take even that to get in over your head! Another point for the motorcyclists, is that you'll probably also find that many of them have had some sort of training, while many scooter riders have had none, which in itself makes a big difference.

Anyway, get some training and take it easy until you've got some miles in the saddle, and you'll probably be fine.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

macgawd wrote:I have yet to be able to purchase the Buddy 125, but I've noticed that at least 3 people on this discussion board have had accidents or mishaps with their Buddy's. Are these things difficult to ride/handle or something? Kinda makes me nervous about buying one...
Michael,

Quite the contrary, the problem is that the Buddy is too easy to ride. It's so easy that folks are taking to the road with an ease and a sense of confidence which they, maybe, haven't quite earned by developing their riding skills and knowledge. I strongly recommend the MSF courses as a primer before hitting the road.

Ride safe!
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

I wondered if perhaps some riders were over-confident on their Buddy's, or were simply inexperienced. I've ridden before, but it's been a long time, and I'm sure that the Buddy is far more powerful than what I used to ride, so it will definitely be a learning experience when I finally get one.

According to the dealer here in town, Tennessee State Law does not require a motorcycle endorsement for any motorized cycle 125cc's or less. If it isn't required for my Scoot, I'm not going to go through the hassle. There is a large Church parking lot very close to where I live, and I plan on getting familiar with the Buddy's handling characteristics and quirks for a long while before I venture out into everyday traffic situations. I can use the parking lines to set up an obstacle course similar to what one might expect in the MSF, but I can do it on my own time, with no cost to me!

Michael
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I agree inexperience and over confidence is the greatest enemy with the Buddy. My two friends that got them both crashed (and are fine) but they did various things I have not yet...such as driving in on a very busy, fast road a day after getting Buddy. I am super careful and am learning more every day. Everytime the little devil on my shoulder tells me to do something silly I may do in a car, I do a fred flintstone and knock em off! as far as the gravel...I have talked about this with experienced cyclers and it can happen to anyone , but they know that you should try and be off the breaks prior to the time you enter the curve and be leaning and then throttling if all is clear on the road surface. Problem is with our new skills we may enter curves going too fast and need to break or over correct....and various mayhem can ensue. I am signed up for the safety course, ...I sure hope I can take the Buddy
macgawd

Post by macgawd »

peabody99 wrote:I agree inexperience and over confidence is the greatest enemy with the Buddy. My two friends that got them both crashed (and are fine) but they did various things I have not yet...such as driving in on a very busy, fast road a day after getting Buddy.
The traffic is the biggest nail-biter for me--the people here drive like friggin' maniacs, but I've been more observant of people's driving habits along the route I plan to ride the Buddy to work and back, trying to get a feel for how they behave. I see more and more scoots around here every week, so I'm hoping that their presence now will make the drivers at least a little more aware of them when I'm ready to ride.

Michael
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I found ways to avoid the most trecherous intersections at busiest times of day. hopefully you have some side roads. also pretend like everyone is drunk and out to get to you- defensive driving 101. I find newer suburban areas are the worst ("its all about me in my SUV") the city not bad at all despite the congestion. Despite all this the thing is such a blast. the most mundane is fablulous and the very few days I do not ride the Buddy I am mighty bummed. what will we do when winter comes? :cry:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

macgawd wrote:
peabody99 wrote:I agree inexperience and over confidence is the greatest enemy with the Buddy. My two friends that got them both crashed (and are fine) but they did various things I have not yet...such as driving in on a very busy, fast road a day after getting Buddy.
The traffic is the biggest nail-biter for me--the people here drive like friggin' maniacs, but I've been more observant of people's driving habits along the route I plan to ride the Buddy to work and back, trying to get a feel for how they behave. I see more and more scoots around here every week, so I'm hoping that their presence now will make the drivers at least a little more aware of them when I'm ready to ride.

Michael
I should have added-do review a resource on driving a bike to learn things such as lane position , turning, slowing, merging etc. My BMV had a great book, as well as some on line resources. Finally, if you do get a scooter, practice your work commute on a Sunday Am when there are few people out to observe all the things you will now care about that you did not notice in a car such as uneven pavement, huge pot holes, lanes ending/shifting etc. also you will develop confidence without all the traffic!
scarabmonkey

Post by scarabmonkey »

peabody99 wrote:...what will we do when winter comes? :cry:
KEEP RIDING...24/7/365 in PHX BABY!!!!!

Unless the crapper breaks...then I get to get dirty... :twisted:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

boo to scaramonkey!
lou76

Post by lou76 »

scarabmonkey wrote:
peabody99 wrote:...what will we do when winter comes? :cry:
KEEP RIDING...24/7/365 in PHX BABY!!!!!
true that, son...
and i definitely believe that 3/4 of riding safety is in the rider... i have narrowly avoided a half dozen accidents in my ford taurus as a result of people NOT SEEING ME(in a taurus? seriously...), so I certainly plan to ride as though my life hangs in the balance, because, um, it does....