[NSR] Call me a jerk, but.....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

[NSR] Call me a jerk, but.....

Post by Southerner »

I would gladly ride a Harley Davidson, but if you ever see me wearing anything that says Harley Davidson on it, shoot me.

I'm on Harley's mailing list. I like it, they send me pictures of things I like, such as the new Switchback, the cleanest-looking Big Twin I've seen in years.

But for every one of those, they send me gobs of ads for "Motor Clothes." Oh. My. Goodness.

If I ever manage to own an HD of any sort, I will not rest until I can find a leather jacket with a big Lambretta logo.

Sorry guys . I know this is a scooter site.

Like I said, I'm a jerk.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nothing says bad-ass biker like black leather fringe.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BlueMark

Call me a jerk, but.....

Post by BlueMark »

OK, You're a jerk! But ... I agree with you 100%
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

Speaking of HD, I saw one on my ride to work this morning. Man it was sweet. It was like a fat boy and a bobber sort of combined. It was dark so it was hard for me to see- a few custom items. Really looked nice. Much faster than me :)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have a friend who has the Honda "H" tattooed on his shoulder, JUST for every Harley guy that says you never see a guy with a Jap bike tattoo :)

So yeah, I think a guy riding a H-D wearing a Lambretta jacket would be sweet!...I"ll pitch in for the jacket!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

jerk
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

yeauxkneauxit wrote:Speaking of HD, I saw one on my ride to work this morning. Man it was sweet. It was like a fat boy and a bobber sort of combined. It was dark so it was hard for me to see- a few custom items. Really looked nice. Much faster than me :)
What you saw might have been one of the newer "dark-custom" models. I was actually looking at a Iron 883 (one of the few that I could reach the floor flat-footed while sitting on it), before I decided on the Buddy. But they have new models like the "Fat-Bob" and the "Street Bob" and the "Blackline" that have that bobber-type look. Even the "forty-eight" has a nice classic look to it. Very nice. This is the 883...

I will admit that I have a "Spitzie's Harley-Davidson, Buell, Triumph" shirt, only because they gave my bf a $25 gift card towards a t-shirt when he bought his motorcycle from them, and it was the cheapest t-shirt we could find, at $24.95. But I also plan on getting a Genuine shirt soon too.. so idk, that should like negate the Harley shirt, I suppose. :?
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Harley, like Vespa, prides itself on it's riders buying into not just a bike but a culture. Scooter riders are just as bad: I just ordered a pair of "Vespa" edition Adidas that match the colors of my scooter :oops:

I'm weak...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Rooky

Post by Rooky »

Don't forget, it's not all glitz an glam. My Harley jacket is much better quality than anything else that I have found!
Rodger and Tami
Road Rash Scooter Club
of Central Iowa
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

AWinn6889 wrote:
yeauxkneauxit wrote:Speaking of HD, I saw one on my ride to work this morning. Man it was sweet. It was like a fat boy and a bobber sort of combined. It was dark so it was hard for me to see- a few custom items. Really looked nice. Much faster than me :)
What you saw might have been one of the newer "dark-custom" models. I was actually looking at a Iron 883 (one of the few that I could reach the floor flat-footed while sitting on it), before I decided on the Buddy. But they have new models like the "Fat-Bob" and the "Street Bob" and the "Blackline" that have that bobber-type look. Even the "forty-eight" has a nice classic look to it. Very nice. This is the 883...

I will admit that I have a "Spitzie's Harley-Davidson, Buell, Triumph" shirt, only because they gave my bf a $25 gift card towards a t-shirt when he bought his motorcycle from them, and it was the cheapest t-shirt we could find, at $24.95. But I also plan on getting a Genuine shirt soon too.. so idk, that should like negate the Harley shirt, I suppose. :?
I don't know what the seat height of the Buddy is, but I think all the Harleys except maybe the touring models have sub-30" seat heights - some as low as 26". Kinda genius on Harley's part - you get to look cool and be unintiimidated at the same time.

I think just about everybody markets their brand, but few so successfully as HD.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zwH85gFOVVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

I wear Harley boots when I ride. The decision factors, in order of importance, were:

a) They fit
b) They're leather

Maybe *I'm* the jerk. ;-) (But you can't tell they're Harleys unless you look at the sole)
Bcon

Post by Bcon »

In general I try to stay away from manufacturer branded gear. I change rides/brands too often and somehow it doesn't feel right wearing one brand's logo while riding another brand (that's just me). Replacing gear every time I change brands would be a waste.

Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the gear itself, it's usually top quality.
Last edited by Bcon on Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
groovy scooter

Post by groovy scooter »

just sold my harley... to buy another scooter!
BootScootin'FireFighter

groovy scooter wrote:just sold my harley... to buy another scooter!
:clap: FTW! :clap:
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

that might have been it. hard to say, b/c some of the custom work (rims, exhaust tape) really had it looking sweet.

I actually like more of the additions of this style of bike, even in the streetbike cafe racer way. Benelli has a really cool looking bike on the market- where would you get it worked on though? Ha!

I'll stick with my scoot for now-costs WAY less..I like bikes though all kinds.
groovy scooter

Post by groovy scooter »

i thought it would be hard to let my sportster go.... lots of custom work done on it. http://shootersbythesea.zenfolio.com/p838100450 . it wasn't hard after all... actually it was a relief!

the bike just sat in the garage... a monument to something... mid life crisis maybe, or a need to be part of a community of riders. but i'm not a harley guy.. i'm just in love with motorized 2 wheel conveyances, and scooters are really fun! no top heavy beast that is hard to manhandle around city streets, no "clutch lever hand" pains anymore.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

They're not IMpractical bikes, really. And I don't think maintenance is any bigger of an issue than with Japanese bikes. They never need their valves adjusted and the belt (not my favorite - I like shaft drive) is light, efficient, and requires little adjustment compared to a chain.

Plus, as another Honda guy pointed out to me, you will have an easier time finding competent Harley mechanics than you will for Japanese bikes.

I never thought a clutch that big of a deal. Of course my Honda has a hydraulic clutch but cables are actually simpler. With a CVT, I'd just like the convenience of being able to coast up to a red light and not have to do anything but grab the brakes and put my feet down. No chance of fumbling and choking down.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote: I don't know what the seat height of the Buddy is, but I think all the Harleys except maybe the touring models have sub-30" seat heights - some as low as 26". Kinda genius on Harley's part - you get to look cool and be unintiimidated at the same time.

I think just about everybody markets their brand, but few so successfully as HD.
My Buddy that is coming in is 30.9" or so. The 883 was pretty low, and so is the Nightster, I liked them both. The Nightster is a 1200 though while the 883 is well, an 883.
Forgot to add that I recently purchased a pair of HD riding gloves... the main reason was because out of all of the pairs that I had tried on, these fit the best (leaving just a little room for a pair of liners and perhaps another thin knit glove) and they have loads of reflective material on them. Only a little teeny HD logo on the velcro part, no giant "HARLEY DAVIDSON" covering the whole glove, thankfully.

While I drive a car with a manual transmission, and love it, I like that I don't have to think about a clutch on my two wheel ventures. I call it "clutch claw", but yeah, it can get painful if you hold your hand in position over the clutch for periods of time.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Southerner wrote:I think just about everybody markets their brand, but few so successfully as HD.
So true, and to think AMF almost distroyed the only remaining American cycle company by pushing them out like basketballs.

I've had my eye on the FatBoy and LowRider for as long as I can remember, and I was actually going to get the Iron 883 just before my wife decided that I should get a Stella instead. :cry: That's ok though, I like my Stella. But if I see a black Iron 883 pop up on CraigsList for a good price I'm still gonna get one.

Edit: If I had the time and energy to wrench a few, I'd still allow a nice PanHead or a pre-AMF ShovelHead into my garage also.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

My particular favorite is the 2008 model XL1200R - as in Roadster. They made it only that one year in that standard configuration. I expect it didn't sell. That would be the one for me.

But really, with Harleys and their huge aftermarket, you can make them into just about anything.

I'd be tickled pink to own a Stella. It's just that since I live out of town, I really need something with more "legs" to get anywhere.

Still, I think it would be a hoot to knock around the miles of backroads around here on a Stella, especially with their ridiculously high mpg.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Heh! I'm at Rehoboth Beach, DE, this week with my Vespa LXV150. Found out that it is Bike Week in Ocean City, MD, so my lady and I rode down there yesterday for yuks. Parked the Vespa in the middle of a sea of Harleys, and joined the crowd in my Aerostich "Ride There..." T-shirt.

Wonder why I got so many funny looks? :wink:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Call it jelousy.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote:My particular favorite is the 2008 model XL1200R - as in Roadster. They made it only that one year in that standard configuration. I expect it didn't sell. That would be the one for me.
Spitzie's actually has a couple of these still (bf wanted the one that was there when he bought his bike, but it was about $16k, his Sporty was HALF of that), and I've seen quite a few on the road in my area. I love them, but it's another one that is just too tall for my wee little self.
Tom

Post by Tom »

A friend of mine went down to the local Harley dealership to get his Stella (they are the local dealer), but the salesman put him on a 1200 Sportster to test drive and he ended up going home with it. It's a sweet bike, I can't fault him in the least, especially since he does quite a bit of commuting on it and over the grade.. That ride would just suck daily on the Stella IMO.

But yeah, he's very self conscious of getting branded, lol.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Mulliganal wrote:
Southerner wrote:I think just about everybody markets their brand, but few so successfully as HD.
So true, and to think AMF almost distroyed the only remaining American cycle company by pushing them out like basketballs.
That just doesn't sound good.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

AWinn6889 wrote:
Southerner wrote:My particular favorite is the 2008 model XL1200R - as in Roadster. They made it only that one year in that standard configuration. I expect it didn't sell. That would be the one for me.
Spitzie's actually has a couple of these still (bf wanted the one that was there when he bought his bike, but it was about $16k, his Sporty was HALF of that), and I've seen quite a few on the road in my area. I love them, but it's another one that is just too tall for my wee little self.
I think there's a certain amount of tolerance, there. I have a short inseam myself but have straddled a Suzuki VStrom. Sure, it's somewhat tall, but I think I could manage. Still, if one is uncomfortable with the fit of a bike for whatever reason, that's a valid reason for choosing something else.

If I can ever get fully employed again, I will see if I can track down a 2008 used, since used Harleys are finally coming down some (I'm told). I should be able to afford that and a scoot if I shop around.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote:I think there's a certain amount of tolerance, there. I have a short inseam myself but have straddled a Suzuki VStrom. Sure, it's somewhat tall, but I think I could manage. Still, if one is uncomfortable with the fit of a bike for whatever reason, that's a valid reason for choosing something else.

If I can ever get fully employed again, I will see if I can track down a 2008 used, since used Harleys are finally coming down some (I'm told). I should be able to afford that and a scoot if I shop around.
The used ones are indeed coming down! My bf's Sporty is a 2009, and it had only 700 miles on it, the first service was already done, and they checked everything out and did an oil change after he bought it. Brand new, his bike was about $14,500 (without tax, fees, DMV, etc etc) he bought it for about $8600 said and done. It is in perfect condition... the only dent/scratch on it was on the gas cap, and Spitzie's replaced it with a LOCKING gas cap fo' free. ALSO if you buy through a registered H-D re-seller, as opposed to an H-D specific dealership you can save a lot of money and get A RIDICULOUSLY LOWER interest rate!

I'm sure some day I will have the Harley of my dreams, the Vespa of my dreams, and my wonderful Buddy! Gotta finish my MBA first, then move across the country, and get a real job... We already have three cars and two bikes to take to AZ with us, in addition to an entire house full of appliances, furniture and all of our other stuff, so the two additional bikes can wait... and who knows, maybe I can get the bf on my future GTS 300 Super... and maybe, he'll like it!
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

You all realize that HD makes more money off their accessory line than they do off their bikes, right? I love it when I see a family of toothless meth-heads adorned in everything HD standing at the bus stop. When I lived in the sticks of Kentucky I would see this all the time, people without a dime to their name trying to "look" the part.

As for HD bikes, never ridden one but they are nice looking.
Akaipaps

Post by Akaipaps »

I have a really hard time paying someone too much $$$ to advertise their stuff on my body for free. :no:
Green Buddy's are the luckiest!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Several years ago, I signed up for an on-line drawing from a local Chamber of Commerce. They were sponsoring a "Days of Thunder" motorcycle rally for various charities, and the prize was a leather motorcycle jacket. It didn't cost anything to sign up, so I did, knowing full well I had never won anything in my life. Two weeks later, I got a call; I'd won the leather jacket. I went to collect my prize, figuring it was one of those cheap Chinese patchwork jobs, and lo and behold, it was a genuine Harley-Davidson black leather jacket, with a $375 price tag. It is a classic bike jacket, with "Harley-Davidson" emblazoned about an inch above my butt. And it is wonderfully warm in what passes for winter around here. Hey, for free, i ain't gonna complain!
Syd

Post by Syd »

AWinn6889 wrote:...finish my MBA first, then move across the country, and get a real job... We already have three cars and two bikes to take to AZ with us...
You're a lucky girl if you can move to AZ and get a real job! If you are planning to move to the Valley of the Sun, you'll have to get in touch with the local Meetup Group for some rides.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Syd wrote: You're a lucky girl if you can move to AZ and get a real job! If you are planning to move to the Valley of the Sun, you'll have to get in touch with the local Meetup Group for some rides.
Will do! I'm still a year and a half to two years out though... so ya know, not going to be any time too soon :?
mhardgrove wrote: You all realize that HD makes more money off their accessory line than they do off their bikes, right? I love it when I see a family of toothless meth-heads adorned in everything HD standing at the bus stop. When I lived in the sticks of Kentucky I would see this all the time, people without a dime to their name trying to "look" the part.
I agree with this totally. I got the T-shirt because it was free... the gloves because they are the best ones I could find in my area, next to my leather ones from a locally-owned hand-made leather goods joint... but I would like to have spent less that $50 for the HD gloves, thankfully you really can't even see the HD logo on them when I am wearing them with my jacket. All I can say is they better last a long time!
Akaipaps wrote: I have a really hard time paying someone too much $$$ to advertise their stuff on my body for free.
+1 for this. I am the same way. The only things I have with logos or like "Aeropostale" etc printed in large block across them were gifts. Why am I paying YOU a boat load of money to advertise FOR YOU!? You should be paying to rent me weekly, as I am now your human billboard!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I wear Harley boots. I like the style and that they have zippers on the side in addition to laces.
I would not buy a Harley bike unless they start making one with automatic transmission. Arthritis can be quite uncomfortable even without shifting gears with my foot I figured out pretty quickly that in order for me to ride I need automatic...and low seat height. I like some of the Harley models, sure but the best bike is the one you ride and I would not be be to ride Harley for any length of time unfortunately.
How high is Itallia seat, by the way?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Keys

Post by Keys »

Just ordered some personalized plates for my MadAss..."MFTAH".
"More Fun Than A Harley".

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have a lot of stuff with scooters on it. I have Genuine t-shirts. I have Vespa t-shirts. I don't wear any of it when riding. To me, it's a bit like wearing a t-shirt for a band to their concert.

But that's just me. Those Harley guys aren't all that different than many scooterists I know.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

AWinn6889 wrote:.......................................... ALSO if you buy through a registered H-D re-seller, as opposed to an H-D specific dealership you can save a lot of money and get A RIDICULOUSLY LOWER interest rate! ........................!
How do you identify these re-sellers? I know of one place in Marietta that sells only used bikes, Harleys included, but I have no idea if they are registered or not.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

You know, I don't think T-Shirts count in the over-branding mania department, nor fertilizer caps. But it is ridiculous when every article of clothing, plus sunglass cases, diaper bags, and toothbrush holders have a motorcycle brand on them.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote:
AWinn6889 wrote:.......................................... ALSO if you buy through a registered H-D re-seller, as opposed to an H-D specific dealership you can save a lot of money and get A RIDICULOUSLY LOWER interest rate! ........................!
How do you identify these re-sellers? I know of one place in Marietta that sells only used bikes, Harleys included, but I have no idea if they are registered or not.
If they sell new bikes of various makes they are likely a registered re-seller... kind of like how you see GM dealers that are "Cadillac, Buick, GMC", my local place is "Spitzie's Harley Davidson, Triumph, Royal Enfield," there's another one a wee bit north of here that is "Harley Davidson, Victory." Some are even just "Harley Davidson" alone. You really should just call and ask.
If it has the huge black and orange "Harley Davidson" sign, it's likely a straight up HD Dealership.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

BlueMark wrote:You know, I don't think T-Shirts count in the over-branding mania department, nor fertilizer caps. But it is ridiculous when every article of clothing, plus sunglass cases, diaper bags, and toothbrush holders have a motorcycle brand on them.
Don't forget the Harley Davison branded Ford F150! That I will never understand...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

neotrotsky wrote:
BlueMark wrote:You know, I don't think T-Shirts count in the over-branding mania department, nor fertilizer caps. But it is ridiculous when every article of clothing, plus sunglass cases, diaper bags, and toothbrush holders have a motorcycle brand on them.
Don't forget the Harley Davison branded Ford F150! That I will never understand...
You use the Harley Davidson Edition F150 to pull your Road King to Sturgis, of course.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Syd wrote: You use the Harley Davidson Edition F150 to pull your Road King to Sturgis, of course.
Ah! The light dawns! Gawdfabbid you should ride it and get it dirty!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

They put their helmets on the trailer with the bikes so they collect some bugs and grime, then park the trailer outside town and ride in like they've been on the road all the way from home.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

You guys are mean.

Not as mean as Cartman, but mean.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

AWinn6889 wrote:
Southerner wrote:
If they sell new bikes of various makes they are likely a registered re-seller... kind of like how you see GM dealers that are "Cadillac, Buick, GMC", my local place is "Spitzie's Harley Davidson, Triumph, Royal Enfield," there's another one a wee bit north of here that is "Harley Davidson, Victory." Some are even just "Harley Davidson" alone. You really should just call and ask.
If it has the huge black and orange "Harley Davidson" sign, it's likely a straight up HD Dealership.
Hm. I think that last is all we got left around here. The new-wave so-called Taj Mahal dealerships.

I can recall as a kid back in the '70s going to Myer's Harley Davidson-Suzuki in Montgomery. Good old-time dealership where the guy who sells you the bike likely walks out of the back wiping oil off his hands. Those are long gone from here.
cmac

Post by cmac »

Harley Davidson - The best way to turn gasoline into noise without the side effect of horsepower.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote: Hm. I think that last is all we got left around here. The new-wave so-called Taj Mahal dealerships.

I can recall as a kid back in the '70s going to Myer's Harley Davidson-Suzuki in Montgomery. Good old-time dealership where the guy who sells you the bike likely walks out of the back wiping oil off his hands. Those are long gone from here.
Yeah, that's what Spitzie's is around here... the funny little bald dude that we bought the bike from is also one of the mechanics. All of the ladies behind the counter are like old biker babes, happy to help everyone find exactly what they're looking for... they had my bf try on like 8 different helmets until they found the right one, they just didn't have an XXL except for a demo that was slightly damaged. They even called the other motorsports dealership down the street to see if they had the helmet in the right size before we drove over there. Love that place.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AWinn6889 wrote:the funny little bald dude that we bought the bike from is also one of the mechanics
Who I'm sure loves being referred to as "the funny little bald dude."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Southerner wrote:You guys are mean.

Not as mean as Cartman, but mean.
Cartman wasn't mean, he just had the balls to say what needed to be said. He had the entire "Harley" subculture dialed in.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

ericalm wrote:
AWinn6889 wrote:the funny little bald dude that we bought the bike from is also one of the mechanics
Who I'm sure loves being referred to as "the funny little bald dude."
Haha, well I'm not the only one that calls him that, so I'm sure he probably knows. He has one of those names that's hard to remember, and he is very funny, I didn't mean that he was funny looking, he's just always cracking jokes, and he's the only bald guy there, he shaves his head.