Thinking of installing one of these by my front walkway...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Reesh

Thinking of installing one of these by my front walkway...

Post by Reesh »

I am still thinking of ways to secure my scoot since my ability to do all the standard things (garage, backyard, inside, etc) is limited.

One though I had would be to dig out a portion of my garden and to create an expanded concrete scooter parking pad with one of these babies:

http://www.theparkcatalog.com/Portal.as ... paign=2011

Has anyone ever done this?
2010 Buddy SI 150 RIP "Peapod"
2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super "Peapod the White" back and more powerful than ever!
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2008 Gary Fisher Supercaliber
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

You may want to look at something like this, http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kryp ... und-anchor a bit less conspicuous....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Once you get ripped off you tend to go batshit security crazy. In europe, anchor devices are the norm. If I didn't have a garage, I'd use them. I've even thought about putting them in my garage. I think it's a good idea and you should do it.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I second the Kryptonite Stronghold Above Ground Anchor. Folds away nicely when you are not using it. If needed there is a way to install it over grass too by burying a cinder block or some such thing in the ground. Get some kind of an unbreakable chain to wrap around your scooters floorboard too.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

rsrider wrote:Once you get ripped off you tend to go batshit security crazy. In europe, anchor devices are the norm. If I didn't have a garage, I'd use them. I've even thought about putting them in my garage. I think it's a good idea and you should do it.
That really depends on the area.
In my home city, Milano, most people do not have a garage or place to put an anchor down. Most scoots are parked on the sidewalk hugging the building, only at train stations and schools do people usually chain up as scooter parking spots abound.

That being said the anchor is a really good idea, I was originally planning to rent one of the assigned parking spots from my apartment building to the tune of $25 a year cause they were gonna let me install an anchor point (as long as it could be folded down and not be a problem for cars to park over once I moved out) but it turns out that the stuff the parking lot is made out of is very soft concrete and thieves could just pull the anchor out easily
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

There are a number of designs for ground anchors that do not require concrete. They are available with different types of rings or other attachment points at the ground level.

http://www.libertyhardware.com/products/ground_anchors/
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I like the kryptonite ground anchor...Installed 2 at my old shop downtown, and they are STILL there :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

As much as the kryptonite is recommended, and I do like it, I like your original idea better as it is really obvious that the scooter is attached to something.
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

Well, the concrete might happen anyway, regardless of the anchor... I tend to just plop it on the path to my front steps but there isn't really space for it. Kind of have to sashay by it. A parking pad would also enable us to get two scoots and have a good place for both!
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Thinking of installing one of these by my front walkway.

Post by ericalm »

Reesh wrote:I am still thinking of ways to secure my scoot since my ability to do all the standard things (garage, backyard, inside, etc) is limited.

One though I had would be to dig out a portion of my garden and to create an expanded concrete scooter parking pad with one of these babies:

http://www.theparkcatalog.com/Portal.as ... paign=2011
You cruise some really weird web sites. :)

This is an interesting idea; never really seen it or thought about doing it.

My only thought is that if you're going to go to such lengths, it's better to have something that's buried in concrete rather than bolted to it.

Given the opportunity and time, thieves can get around any prevention, lock or deterrent. I've heard of thieves using portable electric saws and drills etc. to get through a chain or cable.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

If you don't need/care about one that folds down flush for lawnmowing, an inexpensive yet effective anchor can be made from one or more pieces of rebar (5 or 6 foot rods) and a sack of Quickrete. Just a few bucks from Home Depot.

Bend the rebar in the shape of a U, with a few inch radius, then dig a hole a foot or so deep. Pound the rebar down to where a few inches stick out above the ground, then pour the dry concrete in the hole and add water on top. Just like setting a fence post. Let it set for an hour and you're done.

A similar anchor can be made from galvanized threaded pipe and a couple of tee coannectors, sunk in the ground and concreted in the same way, but it's best to weld the joints together.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

PeteH wrote:If you don't need/care about one that folds down flush for lawnmowing, an inexpensive yet effective anchor can be made from one or more pieces of rebar (5 or 6 foot rods) and a sack of Quickrete. Just a few bucks from Home Depot.

Bend the rebar in the shape of a U, with a few inch radius, then dig a hole a foot or so deep. Pound the rebar down to where a few inches stick out above the ground, then pour the dry concrete in the hole and add water on top. Just like setting a fence post. Let it set for an hour and you're done.

A similar anchor can be made from galvanized threaded pipe and a couple of tee coannectors, sunk in the ground and concreted in the same way, but it's best to weld the joints together.
Diamond bladed saws can cut rebar like it is nothing. They cost ~$20 too. Of course, most people won't have an electric saw handy, but someone who's been planning to steal your scooter might. I've always felt that moderate security will keep honest people honest and that heavy security will ensure dedicated thieves maintain a certain level of creativity. The problem with heavy security is that it can also be a pain in the butt for the person using it.

ps. Reesh, if you really want one of those bike racks you can find them other places for less money. The one thing I'd worry about, depending on where you live and where you put the rack, it might seem like it's available for the general public. I'd hate to come home and find out all the spaces were taken :?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, all you can really do, in the end, is slow someone down. I'm searching for a stronger suggestion as well.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Whats the scoop on using GPS live tracking? I mean is this service worth it as far as cost,reliability etc? Imagine seeing your scoots location in real time after its stolen.Watch on your cell phone,watch on your computer and finally see your scoot stop at a location when the cops apprehend the suspect(s)

What say you about these type of services?
Aerosmith, None Other.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

BuddyLicious wrote:Whats the scoop on using GPS live tracking? I mean is this service worth it as far as cost,reliability etc? Imagine seeing your scoots location in real time after its stolen.Watch on your cell phone,watch on your computer and finally see your scoot stop at a location when the cops apprehend the suspect(s)

There are a lot of GPS tracking devices available for vehicles, most of which could be easily hidden within the interior parts of a Buddy. I think, however, that a device of this sort should be an adjunct to a heavy chain and secure mooring point.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

There are LoJack and LoJack-like services available for motorcycles and scooters. They aren't cheap.

IF you don't mind paying for an extra cell-phone charge on your mobile plan, you can permanently wire an old cell phone, along with its car charger, into your scoot's electrical system, well hidden away. Sprint will locate a lost phone for you for a small fee, or you can subscribe to their locator service if you want to use it all the time. I imagine most other companies have similar services.

The cheapest way would be to do this with a low cost pre-paid plan like Boost or Tracfone - but I don't know if they offer the locator service. Also - if you use an iPhone (are you nuts!) or a really cheap Android phone, there are apps that allow you to track the phone from any browser - one is called WaveSecure, I'm sure there are many others.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

PeteH wrote:If you don't need/care about one that folds down flush for lawnmowing, an inexpensive yet effective anchor can be made from one or more pieces of rebar (5 or 6 foot rods) and a sack of Quickrete. Just a few bucks from Home Depot.

i have wondered about just cementing a piece of chain into the hole/ground. ugly and looks out of place? heck yes, but the chain is harder to cut than rebar. just need a lock that is long enough to pass through three links. no right or wrong answer here. just possibe solutions i guess.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Mmmm - 2" pipe buried in concrete with a tee welded at both ends. Hardened chains goes through the tee and ties the bu=ike down. Cheap, easy.

honi soit qui mal y pense
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, that was the pic I was looking for.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyLicious wrote:Whats the scoop on using GPS live tracking? I mean is this service worth it as far as cost,reliability etc? Imagine seeing your scoots location in real time after its stolen.Watch on your cell phone,watch on your computer and finally see your scoot stop at a location when the cops apprehend the suspect(s)

My guess is that for something reliable the cost may not be worth it when compared to theft insurance. Kind of depends on your current policy, deductibles, etc.

Getting a small GPS device and hiding it may not work because a lot of those little GPS units need pretty good line of sight and won't work hidden under the scoot or even in the body work.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The thing about insurance is, if you have more than just one or two claims, they'll probably cancel you. Then you may have problems getting covered by somebody else.

I think some sort of active measure is definitely a good idea.

About rebars, even a common hacksaw can cut them.

If all you've got is a spot on the ground, you can dig a hole and use just about any object, preferably long, heavy & metal, (called a deadman) crosswise down in the hole, then attach a suitably tough chain that can reach to the surface.

There's really no limit to the things you can do.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, the rebar is really for a quick and dirty solution, as it gradually corrodes, too. Now that I park in a different spot beside my house, I think it's time to look into some more hardened hardware, esp. as the less- frequent riding season approaches. I could chain up to one of my deck posts, but with my luck some wiseacre would cheerfully saw down my deck. I thought maybe I saw some great big steel eye or U-bolts at the hardware store, too.

I'll still use my cable, disc lock, and Gorilla alarm !!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

ericalm wrote: Getting a small GPS device and hiding it may not work because a lot of those little GPS units need pretty good line of sight and won't work hidden under the scoot or even in the body work.
LoJack and some of the others don't actually totally depend on GPS (which wouldn't work well in a large city). They have beacons that can be turned on and tracked by the company or police. Cellphones work even when GPS is obstructed because they can interpolate between cell towers - less accurate, but will still get you to the right block. I don't think the plastic bodywork would block GPS, but it would be hard to position a phone/GPS where it was hidden under bodywork yet still had good sky exposure.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

jonlink wrote:Diamond bladed saws can cut rebar like it is nothing. They cost ~$20 too. Of course, most people won't have an electric saw handy, but someone who's been planning to steal your scooter might.
Rebar can be easily cut quickly and quietly with just a simple hack saw, I've done it nomerous times (NOT to steal scooters)
jonlink wrote: I've always felt that moderate security will keep honest people honest and that heavy security will ensure dedicated thieves maintain a certain level of creativity.
True, Quite true......
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BlueMark wrote:
ericalm wrote: Getting a small GPS device and hiding it may not work because a lot of those little GPS units need pretty good line of sight and won't work hidden under the scoot or even in the body work.
LoJack and some of the others don't actually totally depend on GPS (which wouldn't work well in a large city). They have beacons that can be turned on and tracked by the company or police. Cellphones work even when GPS is obstructed because they can interpolate between cell towers - less accurate, but will still get you to the right block. I don't think the plastic bodywork would block GPS, but it would be hard to position a phone/GPS where it was hidden under bodywork yet still had good sky exposure.
Yup, I was referring to buying a small GPS device like a Spot tracker or similar to use as kind of a low-budget Lojack. By the time you hid it, it probably wouldn't work.
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

If you're going to make a concrete patch on your garden, why not build a tiny garage you can push your bike into? You could put a planter or turf or something on the roof so you wouldn't even lose garden space!
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

Alas it's in front of my house! If it were out back, I'd have zero issues building a scoot shed.

Here's what I've got to work with:
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Syd

Post by Syd »

What about anchoring it to the house itself, for example in the small space to the right of the steps and the front room (behind the security yard sign)?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ethan Allison wrote:If you're going to make a concrete patch on your garden, why not build a tiny garage you can push your bike into? You could put a planter or turf or something on the roof so you wouldn't even lose garden space!
There are small bike shelters you can get…
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Syd wrote:What about anchoring it to the house itself, for example in the small space to the right of the steps and the front room (behind the security yard sign)?
I was thinking the same thing. The railing would only take a few seconds to cut through unless you weaved the chain through a few different bars.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Lil Buddy wrote:
Syd wrote:What about anchoring it to the house itself, for example in the small space to the right of the steps and the front room (behind the security yard sign)?
I was thinking the same thing. The railing would only take a few seconds to cut through unless you weaved the chain through a few different bars.
I'm not talking about anchoring it to the railing. I'm talking about mounting hardened eye bolts to the building itself, or maybe to the concrete steps, if drilling into the house is frowned upon.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

If those are solid-ish concrete steps you can also bolt something into them. Even a chain attached to an anchor. This is a UK site, but it'll give you the general idea.
Attachments
luma-solido-lockup-350.jpg
luma-solido-lockup-350.jpg (28.82 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Opportunity is another issue. I expect that some sort of security measure applied near those front steps, in full view of the street, and under the glare of the porch light at night, should at least make a thief think twice about the time it would take to defeat the chain or whatever.

If it doesn't, I wouldn't want to live in your neighborhood.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Here is what I did
Attachments
post.JPG
post.JPG (93.74 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Pour the pad between the steps and the house, and install a halogen light that covers the pad.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Stormswift wrote:Here is what I did
That is exactly what I meant, and it looks great!
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

Reesh wrote:Alas it's in front of my house! If it were out back, I'd have zero issues building a scoot shed.
You'd have a problem with this in your front yard? What's WRONG with you?! :p Image
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

jonlink wrote:
That is exactly what I meant, and it looks great!
Thank you. This was done last year. So far so good.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

That looks great. DIY?
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

PeterC wrote:Pour the pad between the steps and the house, and install a halogen light that covers the pad.
I was thinking of a motion sensing flood light.
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Also not a bad idea. It doesn't run your power bill up and should draw more attention than one that just stays on all the time.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The only disadvantage I can see by putting the scoot in the little area between steps and house is if that spot collects an inordinate amount of snow or rain. I see the gutter on the main roof, which should divert most of the rain, but if that corner tends to collect snow, or the runoff from the entrance gable (?), out in the open may be a better choice.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'd go for the corner between the steps and the house, you can anchor to the steps or to the new concrete pad. You'd be able to install anything you'd like as the anchor point if done when the concrete is being poured. I had a neighbor as a kid do something like that for a boat in his driveway, sunk a 4" eye bolt into the concrete, put a 4-6" square metal plate on it near the bottom, it'll never get torn up!
That corner should offer a modicum of shelter plus keep your scoot from 'prying eyes' as apposed to being out in the open.
Attachments
eyebolt.jpg
eyebolt.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
Nullius in verba
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The question of "open" versus "hidden" can work either way. Sometimes a thing out in the open presents the danger to the thief of other eyes seeing and calling the cops.

If the scoot is "hidden", then the thief has some concealment in which to hide while cutting chains, etc.

I know we're talking budget considerations here, but a fence around the yard would be a big help as well. Much harder to explain what you're doing on somebody else's land if you crossed a fence to get there.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I agree with what a few others said.

1.) a simple flood light with motion detect on it will do WONDERS. That little breezeway is a good way to "sneak up"

2) If you can, I might put the pad between the steps and house unless there is a reason not to., but you other spot works, too.

3) i really like the pipe with 2 tees on it as an anchor. Weld the tee on and sink it under the ground AND pour the pad up to the t...Hard to cut through and galvanized for rust...Nice piece, next to something like a pro anchor (kryptonite etc)

Oh, and the garden "pad" in Md looks GREAT!. Nice job there too.
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

KABarash wrote:I'd go for the corner between the steps and the house, you can anchor to the steps or to the new concrete pad. You'd be able to install anything you'd like as the anchor point if done when the concrete is being poured. I had a neighbor as a kid do something like that for a boat in his driveway, sunk a 4" eye bolt into the concrete, put a 4-6" square metal plate on it near the bottom, it'll never get torn up!
That corner should offer a modicum of shelter plus keep your scoot from 'prying eyes' as apposed to being out in the open.
This is exactly the problem with that spot. The volume of water coming off the roof in that spot during a rain storm is more than the gutters can handle... The scoot would be inundated in those cases.

Also, my backyard is fenced in with 10' of fence on all sides and locked at the back, I'll be impressed if they come through the back yard!
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Reesh

Post by Reesh »

Also, I was planning to put some tall ever green hedges up to conceal the scoot.
2007 Trek Pilot 5.0
2003 Toyota Corolla LE
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Tell me again why you don't put it in the back yard?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Southerner wrote:Tell me again why you don't put it in the back yard?
Can get it through the breezeway to get it to the front of the house to ride off. Breezeway is too narrow.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I don't know about tall hedges, may make it easier for someone to hide to swipe said scoot.

Do put a cover over it if you don't already...Out of sight out of mind for thieves.