I got love tapped?? while riding today what to do?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hchoa

I got love tapped?? while riding today what to do?

Post by hchoa »

Hey everyone,

Today while riding I lanesplit into the front of an SUV driver and I guess he didn't like it too much. After moving fwd a bit with the traffic I noticed he was badly tailgating on the right side. All of a sudden he moved to the left and tried pushing me off to the right.

Fortunately traffic was at <5mph and I didn't loose control (even with the light rain). The guy didn't get much out of it. He ended up ahead of me but I moved to the right side of him, honked like crazy, flipped him off, called a crazy old ****, and left him stuck in traffic.

Anyways the question: should I have stopped gotten his license plate number? asked him for insurance? anything? I thought about it and I wouldn't want his crazy road rage to put some other driver (car, scooter, bicycle, w.e) in danger was there anything I could have done to get a record of his actions? There was no physical damage to the scooter or me, just my heart pumping from fear and right after from complete utter rage.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

um yes all of the above, another good option would have been pulling him out of his car and putting your foot in his mouth also
Last edited by beastmaster on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
AWinn6889

Re: I got love tapped?? while riding today what to do?

Post by AWinn6889 »

I would have gotten his license plate number, called the cops and reported the a-hole. If it was in traffic, they may have caught him. You never know.
But that definitely counts as a hit and run, reckless endangerment.. etc. etc.
Last edited by AWinn6889 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Did he actually make contact with your scooter?

That's a pretty serious crime. You definitely should have gotten his plate number and called the cops.

There are some people—even in LA—who don't understand that lane splitting is actually legal (well, sort of) and that you're not just being a reckless jerk. Most drivers are okay with it; some even appreciate it. But every once in a while, you run into someone who hasn't gotten the memo or just moved here or whatever. No matter how considerate you are, they perceive it as you somehow infringing on their imagined rights.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hchoa

Post by hchoa »

Yes his car literally pushed me. I was pretty surprised when it happened. So far all the drivers i've come to be near are fine with lanesplitting. A few times they even move out of the way. I suppose there is not much I can do now, I wasn't thinking clearly when it happened and my main thought was just to get away from him asap. A while after I was thinking I should have gotten out of the scooter and keyed his car, and then it hit me that I should have done something more legally involved.

Well now I know I suppose.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hchoa wrote:A while after I was thinking I should have gotten out of the scooter and keyed his car, and then it hit me that I should have done something more legally involved.

Well now I know I suppose.
I'd be pretty pissed too but of course acting on it does no good and can actually quickly make things worse. In scooter vs. car, car always wins.

This thread may be of some help:
topic20098.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

beastmaster wrote:um yes all of the above, another good option would have been pulling him out of his can and putting your foot in his mouth also
+1 :twisted:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
hchoa

Post by hchoa »

Haha oh I would never have acted on it, but just imagining it made me smirk and feel better.
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

The people that move aside probably ride themselves. I was sitting my smart infrastructure class and our guest speaker was a professor of transportation engineering. He said that people would reconsider driving if there was a toll on drivers to reflect the cost they impose on congestion i.e. congestion toll. We on scooters and motorcycles splitting lanes are reducing that congestion. We should make shirts, bumper stickers whatever saying, "riding to reduce congestion for you!" Not that thats why we ride but it might be an interesting PR campaign.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

It is difficult to write anything or call anyone when you are riding. In Maryland what I notice is people going out of their way to stay away from riders. Sometimes that means they get round me and ahead of me. I can most of the time tell if someone is about to try to pass me even before they turn on their blinker. I slow down. If someone feels so uncomfortable driving behind a bike then perhaps we will both be safer if he/she is in the front. Who knows, they may have lousy breaks or some other car maintenance issues that might prevent them from stopping in time. I ride with traffic now, same speed. There are some very sick individuals out there driving and riding. I've seen both. Road rage is not that uncommon. People run late because THEY are late, but they make it someone else''s fault and agrees against someone they perceive as small and helpless, ie us on our scooters. I do see drivers make mistakes and miscalculate. Someone changed lanes on me without warning, huge SUV. I cursed, blared my scooter horn. Probably made driver pee in his.her pants when they realised they did not see me. That was the end of it
You are OK. That is all that matters
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It's happened to me before too. As rightfully pissed off as you may be, just ride away. If the person is a crazy enough idiot to do that, there's no telling what else they are a crazy enough idiot to do. Just ride away. Live to ride another day.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Agreed...as pised a you may be...JUST RIDE AWAY...You do not want a confrontation with an angry man in a SUV...You will lose.

If you want, get his plate number and call it in once you are away...but to be honest. The cops will more than likely do nothing.

Be glad you are okay and you were paying attention...You did good.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Agree with all the "remain calm and call it in but don't expect much" replies. A confrontation with any car- SUV or Smart Car- is a losing battle. So is getting worked up over it in the moment, which can cause bad riding decisions.

A tip I've heard but never tried is to call it in as a possible drunk driver (you could certainly argue that his actions could make you believe he was drunk). The theory being that the police will respond to that kind of call fairly quickly if you give them license, make/model/color, and location/direction.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I have to agree with those who say get his license and call the cops. It's been my experience that might not help much but really, it's all you can legally do. If you retaliate, you will get in more trouble than he'd be in.

I thought California was the only state in the union where filtering was legal.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

If you can do it safely, take out your phone and take a picture.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

BlueMark wrote:If you can do it safely, take out your phone and take a picture.
There's a thought. Might be the easiest way to get the tag as well, assuming you phone camera isnt as fumbly as mine to get going.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:I thought California was the only state in the union where filtering was legal.
It is.
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

what's filtering?
Glen G

Filtering

Post by Glen G »

heyitsomid wrote:what's filtering?

For Giggles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

There is a % of people that have some strange anger about scooters. This is another reason I think the more people riding, in clubs, and sites like this are more and more important!
President, Scooter Club of Metro Phoenix & Fatcatscooter.com
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I don't know if it's aimed at scooters in particularl. Probably just 2-wheeled transport in general.

I would guess they're just jealous because bikes can lane-split while they're still stuck in traffic.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

This happened to me last week, except it was an old red van. We were in traffic and the driver behind me started blaring his horn. He literally was holding the horn down, just blaring. I wasn't sure why so i look behind me and he is flapping his arms wildly, gesturing for me to get in the right lane. He thought because I'm on a scooter I need to be in the right lane, I shook my head and inched forward with traffic. Not only is it legal for me to be in the left lane, but I needed to make a left turn. The driver lane splits, and tries to push me of the onto the left shoulder, barely squeezing by the car that was in the lane to my right. All that to be in front of me as we inched forward in traffic. I was livid, but safety was more important so I tried to distance myself. Wtf though! I would love to see a study on road rage of drivers because it becomes so animalistic and nonsensical, particularly during evening rush hour, which is why I try not to be on the road during that time.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

SO glad I'm a country mouse. The worst thing I have to worry about is deer.
supermach

Re: I got love tapped?? while riding today what to do?

Post by supermach »

AWinn6889 wrote:I would have gotten his license plate number, called the cops and reported the a-hole. If it was in traffic, they may have caught him. You never know.
But that definitely counts as a hit and run, reckless endangerment.. etc. etc.
Here in NJ if you tell the cops that you was on a scooter when it happend you would be lucky if the cops doesn try to give you the ticket LoL... I hate NJ I need to more to PA already.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Here in PA two questions that the cops ask are "Are you physically hurt?" and "Is there ANY damage to your vehicle caused by the accident?" If you answer no to both you are usually sent on your way.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Bolbos

Post by Bolbos »

I'll be the lone dissenter here. While there's obviously no excuse for the actions that the lane-splitting caused, I think the lane-splitters are seeing this with a selfish point of view.

Whether, and where, lane-splitting is legal is only one issue, and even that has no definite concensus. Then there's simply the presumption by the masses that it's illegal, and that just may be your concensus right there. Then when you put that aside, you have the most important aspect....the perception that lane-splitting leaves.

Simply, the motorist most often doesn't know and probably doesn't care what the legal issue is. The fact is that they see a two-wheeled vehicle passing their position in line, and they view it as impatience and likely unfair to them. Then there are the safety issues to all involved, and they are not imagined.

I'm a new scooterist, and I've not seen, that I can recall, much lane-splitting in my lifetime. The question is, how would I have felt as a motorist, and depending on the traveling circumstance I'd likely have been unnverved by it. Just be patient like everyone else, would have been my feeling. Unless there's an accident or some hopeless situation, I don't get the need for this.

Just because you 'can' do it, doesn't mean you should. And if you know that fellow motorists often frown upon it, then frankly you're asking for trouble by doing it. Two-wheelers have enough legitimate complaints about motorists that don't pay attention enough. Why some find it necessary to mitigate that by partaking in this practice, I don't get. To me, the answer here is not to think like a cyclist, but like a motorist in a car. And most motorists don't appreciate impatient people that drive like they're entitled. Forget about if you can, and start asking 'do I really have to'...problem solved.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Here is LA, lane spitting is promoted in the MSF class for its safety benefit. Stay at the rear of a line of cars stopped at a red light and you are open to being rear ended. Split to the front, you are protected. That is reason enough for me to do it.

The reason lane splitting first became legal in California is to prevent overheating of air-cooled motorcycles and scooters. It gets hot here and the traffic jams are famous. Sit stationery for a while on an air cooled machine and trouble is assured. That lane splitting also aids in combatting congestion, we'll that's just a nice perk :P

The thing is, like most other things, the attitude of the person doing the lane splitting plays a part. I have seen squids racing between cars. Personally I think that's nuts. Like anything else, a little moderation is a good thing.

I do appreciate that here in LA, many cars stay away from the center line to leave room for motorcycles. It is just good manners and part of being a polite motorist. Do all drivers do it, of course not. But it's a very cool thing and the good drivers do it.

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The simple fact is, that where it's not legal, you don't. But that's not California. And if it's legal, that's all there is to it.

If somebody is sitting in a car stuck in traffic, there's no sense in begrudging an MC rider because he's on something small enough to squeeze through; that's just unreasoning jealousy.
If the car driver wants what the MC rider has, then he needs to get a MC or scooter, not covet what the other guy's got. It's not like the car driver is losing anything; If the motorcycles and scooters squeeze through and get out of the way, there's just that many fewer vehicles to contend with.
hchoa

Post by hchoa »

Bolbos wrote: The fact is that they see a two-wheeled vehicle passing their position in line, and they view it as impatience and likely unfair to them. .
As I have stated before I've never been honked at, cursed at, or blocked from lane splitting. On the contrary, cars move out of the way when they notice me. I think here in CA lane splitting is a much more common phenomenon and most motorists are at least neutral to it and realize it doesn't affect their commute time at all.
You're right the driver probably did see it as unfair, but my hope is he quickly realized that his actions did NOTHING to improve his situation. In addition I hope he realized my lane splitting did nothing to worsen his situation. I was in and out of his sight in seconds.

I'm not going to stop lane splitting because some car drivers think its unfair to them. All I can do as be careful when doing it and prepare for the worse.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

jmazza wrote:Agree with all the "remain calm and call it in but don't expect much" replies. A confrontation with any car- SUV or Smart Car- is a losing battle. So is getting worked up over it in the moment, which can cause bad riding decisions.

A tip I've heard but never tried is to call it in as a possible drunk driver (you could certainly argue that his actions could make you believe he was drunk). The theory being that the police will respond to that kind of call fairly quickly if you give them license, make/model/color, and location/direction.
+1. Cops are not as helpful as you may think. I had a guy try to run me off the road once, then blocking me from getting in the right lane. When I was finally able to, about to turn into my street, he locked up the brakes, hoping I'd hit him, but I dumped it. Then like a little bitch he took off. I had the plate and make of the car, the cops said they can't do anything or charge him unless we collided. He did technically tap you, but that could be hard to prove without damage, I'd say get out of their way and call in that they hit and split. You may have something to go with, but don't get your hopes up.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

It may not accomplish anything much this time but you can still make a report. If he's on record, the next time he tries a similar stunt, it should show up on their computer.

This guy may be pulling this kind of stuff all the time. If so, he needs to be taken off the road.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Bolbos wrote:I'm a new scooterist, and I've not seen, that I can recall, much lane-splitting in my lifetime. The question is, how would I have felt as a motorist, and depending on the traveling circumstance I'd likely have been unnverved by it. Just be patient like everyone else, would have been my feeling. Unless there's an accident or some hopeless situation, I don't get the need for this.

Just because you 'can' do it, doesn't mean you should. And if you know that fellow motorists often frown upon it, then frankly you're asking for trouble by doing it. Two-wheelers have enough legitimate complaints about motorists that don't pay attention enough. Why some find it necessary to mitigate that by partaking in this practice, I don't get. To me, the answer here is not to think like a cyclist, but like a motorist in a car. And most motorists don't appreciate impatient people that drive like they're entitled. Forget about if you can, and start asking 'do I really have to'...problem solved.
I see your point to some extent. But most people lane split as a benefit, being the smaller vehicle, taking less space, and reducing congestion should be rewarded, like lane splitting, HOV access, free parking, and reduced tolls. It's not legal in the DC metro, but I split all the time if traffic is crawling at 10mph or less, or if a light is so backed up that it'll take at least 2 cycles to get through. But I do it with extreme caution and at a low speed. That's on me if I get pulled over, but it gives no right for someone to assault me with their vehicle, whether I'm acting in my legal rights or riding like a jackass. If someone cuts you in line at Hershey Park, does that give you the right to beat the piss out of them?

The perk of lanesplitting is no different then HOV lanes or express lanes at the checkout. People have choices in life and options. If they don't choose to ride 2 wheels and lanesplit, or carpool and use the HOV, then they deserve to wait, they're providing no benefit to the problem, just adding to it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bolbos wrote:I'll be the lone dissenter here. While there's obviously no excuse for the actions that the lane-splitting caused, I think the lane-splitters are seeing this with a selfish point of view.

Whether, and where, lane-splitting is legal is only one issue, and even that has no definite concensus. Then there's simply the presumption by the masses that it's illegal, and that just may be your concensus right there. Then when you put that aside, you have the most important aspect....the perception that lane-splitting leaves.

Simply, the motorist most often doesn't know and probably doesn't care what the legal issue is. The fact is that they see a two-wheeled vehicle passing their position in line, and they view it as impatience and likely unfair to them. Then there are the safety issues to all involved, and they are not imagined.

I'm a new scooterist, and I've not seen, that I can recall, much lane-splitting in my lifetime. The question is, how would I have felt as a motorist, and depending on the traveling circumstance I'd likely have been unnverved by it. Just be patient like everyone else, would have been my feeling. Unless there's an accident or some hopeless situation, I don't get the need for this.

A lot of people are surprised by this, but lane splitting is common practice in CA, especially in urban areas. It's as natural as "right on red" is in places where that's legal. It's almost more unusual to see a scooter or motorcycle not filter between cars at a stoplight. Usually, this is because there's either not enough room or the rider's on a wide-ass cruiser that's too big.

Lane splitting doesn't often cause problems here. Many cars will move over to provide space. It's also been shown that lane splitting in CA may reduce accidents by preventing rear-end collisions, most common at stoplights. (I wouldn't advocate that it be adopted in other states because drivers won't be used to it and won't know to look for riders.)

I agree that "just because you can doesn't mean you should" in regards to many riding practices. But it's not as if this is something that's technically legal but only practiced by the most reckless among us. I don't know of many riders who don't do it as part of their every day riding.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Speaking of lane-splitting (where it's legal), what are the conventions that apply? Are you only allowed to filter if there's room in front of the first vehicle in line, or can you queue up in between all of the vehicles waiting in line?

I can see a potential disadvantage in that it makes you the "point man" and more susceptible to red-light runners on your left and right, and also the impatient types who'll pull a tire-smoking left into your path as soon as the light changes. But, I guess it might be an even trade-off with getting flattened between two other vehicles.

Frankly, I don't ever see it being adopted in the NYC metro area for two reasons:

- It's totally incompatible with our legendary attitude and hair-trigger tempers.

- During the "phasing in" process of such a change, a lot of two-wheelers are going to be sacrificed on the altar of motorist's learning curves.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just to add to the "pro" lane splitting folks. I have been to Europe, In Spain and Italy you will be honked at if you DON'T filter forward.

And yes, I"m in Md. with you in Pa you will never see it here on the East coast...But as someone above said, In Cali. its as common as right turn on red for us here.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

One day soon, if I can get my hands on a Go-Pro or similar, I'll take a video of part of my PM commute.

It may boggle the minds of some people who aren't used to or don't get lane splitting/filtering :)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I imagine a scooter commute in LA would look like a scene from an action movie to us Easterners.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

charlie55 wrote:Speaking of lane-splitting (where it's legal), what are the conventions that apply? Are you only allowed to filter if there's room in front of the first vehicle in line, or can you queue up in between all of the vehicles waiting in line?

I can see a potential disadvantage in that it makes you the "point man" and more susceptible to red-light runners on your left and right, and also the impatient types who'll pull a tire-smoking left into your path as soon as the light changes. But, I guess it might be an even trade-off with getting flattened between two other vehicles.
Basically, you still have to adhere to what's "safe and prudent." Reckless riding is reckless riding by any count and you can be ticketed for it. The only people I know who have been ticketed have been splitting on the right or riding outside all lanes.

Usually there aren't more than a couple bikes at the end of the lane at a light. LA riders (and drivers) mostly know not to haul ass into an intersection when it turns green; there are always going to be cars coming through or making turns. You wait a sec, look both ways, then haul ass.

I have my own rules for lane splitting that I stick to pretty religiously. No splitting around blind curves. No splitting over hills. No splitting after dark. No splitting through traffic that's already moving freely and quickly.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:I have my own rules for lane splitting that I stick to pretty religiously. No splitting around blind curves. No splitting over hills. No splitting after dark. No splitting through traffic that's already moving freely and quickly.
Likewise. For the most part I limit myself to splitting only when traffic is stopped, like at a traffic light, or in a traffic jam for example. Too many variables otherwise. There are exceptions of course but if traffic is moving I'm content to cruise along with it. Besides, on my scooter, I really don't have the horsepower to go blazing past freely moving cars.

sosha

Post by sosha »

Hi hchoa;

What I tell myself in these type of situations is "God, I'm glad I don't have to come home to the likes of him". Always puts a little grin on my face.

Lane splitting is one of my favorite things about riding a Buddy. I travel up and down a fairly congested bit of roadway, with lots of stoplights. I absolutely love going up to the front of the line. More often, the driver I'm next to has a comment like "wanna race?", and we both smile. I can travel the 6 miles in 10 minutes, as opposed to sitting in traffic for 25.

Be courteous, be cautions, and ride like everyone's trying to kill you.
thehypercube

Post by thehypercube »

when i was hit by an a-hole driver AND faulted by the police who arrived, i swore i would eventually get one of those go-pro cams to mount on my bars or helmet. i still havent done it due to the extra cost, but it's an idea if you have one at your disposal.

if you are in traffic another idea is to get a witness name and phone #. nobody wants to sit around all day waiting for the cops to get there, but many would be glad to help out at a later time that's more convenient to them. just because a small minority are sociopaths, i think you'll find most people dont want to actually see people hurt on the road.