maryvu's commooter scooter

Scooter and Rally Pictures and Videos

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

maryvu

maryvu's commooter scooter

Post by maryvu »

Sorry for the long delay. My buddy has morphed into a tour/commuter w/ a more sporty front end. Bling inspired by the rides at Ducati seattle and my other passion: bicycles (enter Ortlieb). Let me know what you think!

Mary Vu

Here's an early shot of me on board prior to the major changes.

Rich at Rich's Custom built up the sides, then carved it up!

Note the indentation for the gel insert.

There's the insert getting glued in. I used the stock cover.

A better view of the contoured seat.

CRG Left Hand Mirror No more elbows! or mickey mouse ear mirrors.

CRG Right Hand Mirror with Crampbuster

Here's a detail of the LS Hindsight. They flip-up so I can squeeze it between the wall, and my Honda in my condo garage.

Never a finished product...but it looks pretty cool, and I like it!

Summary of MODS to date:
Seat -- Rich's Custom, added foam on the sides, then contoured w/ a gel pad. comfy! and I can reach the ground with a sure foot. Seatpan, cover and foam were all reinstalled. Maybe I'll upgrade to snake skin next year.
http://www.richscustomseats.com/

Bags -- Ortlieb Rolltop Moto Bags. Simple, useful, and waterproof for Seattle winters. Additional reflective tape added on sides and rear.
http://www.ortliebusa.com/cartgenie/pro ... d=59&cid=2

Grips -- Sportbike soft grips, with cramp-buster

Mirrors -- CRG Hindsight LS bar end mirrors. Love the improved visibility, and the look of bar-ends.
http://www.constructorsrg.com/mirrors/hindsight_ls.html

Windscreen -- WSBUD3, seems a little tall might cut it down-- I went scooter camping this weekend, and it worked great.

Cargo Net -- Delta Bicycle products cargo net.

Reflective Bits -- Black tape on lower segment of mudflap, side trim and Saddlebags. SOLAS reflective on rear of saddle bags and helmet circumference. Reflective red plate screws.

[Removed] Chrome Rack w/ Givi Topcase -- rack busted, opted to take a credit on my acct. and get the windscreen instead.[/img]

Purchased, but not installed yet: LED signal bulbs, silverstar Headlamp

Planned but not done: DOT signals
Last edited by maryvu on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Looks great!

Nice work 8)
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

That scoot is hott. The curves of the seat are perfect.

Did you have to buy the new grips to accommodate the mirrors? Or did you just want new grips? And did you need the internal adapters to fit the mirrors?
Capt. Spaulding

Post by Capt. Spaulding »

Nice mods and adds Mary Vu.

The price for the Ortliebs on their site - is that for one bag or a pair?
Capt. Spaulding

Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

that is for the pair, unfortunately. But they are super awesome. (I am fortunate that I work in an industry where I get a professional discount, so I paid less for them)

Re: the grips, I wanted different ones that weren't sculpted, and had some vibration dampening qualities. The only setback is that I had to cut off a the end of the plastic throttle, so the right grip is shorter than the left. I did use the adapters with the CRG mirrors. I guess I could get a new bar to get it symmetrical. That's a lot of work for 1/2 inch. I did think about it though!
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Why did you use different mirrors for the left and right?
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

they're the same. The crampbuster gadget on the handlebar is blocking the view of the right mirror. Also, on the right side, I had to shim up the adapter. Not a big deal though.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Those are some real nice mods! Is it any more of a distraction to have to look down and to the side for the rear-view look?

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

maryvu wrote:they're the same. The crampbuster gadget on the handlebar is blocking the view of the right mirror. Also, on the right side, I had to shim up the adapter. Not a big deal though.

AHH.. I had to look up what a cramp-buster is. :) Great mods! Nicely done.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

:shock: WOW Mary! NICE!!!

How long is your daily commute?

Just curious as to why you added the touring element?

All are awesome mods! Nice plug for the places to help. Snake skin will look SICK (In a good way!)

Again

:shock: and :twisted:
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

Snakeskin would make an interesting insert somewhere...but too $ spendy $ for my little scoot. All the samples at Rich's were really cool though. Maybe a nice leather with contrasting trim is more my speed!

I commute 50-60 miles round trip. Depending if I'm taking the long way home, doing errands, if I'm going to my GF's house, etc. (for you seattleites: Earlier this week my commute went like this: Capitol Hill to Kent for work...Kent to a meeting in Bellevue across the 520 Bridge! to Fremont.)

I've always loved long bicycle rides, self-supported day rides, etc. Hence the touring-esque setup with the scoot. Ortlieb bags are the bomb in cycle-touring, so of course I had to get them for my motorized 2-wheeler. Plus with the tendency towards rain here in the PNW, waterproof is the way to go. Even if you're less than 30 miles from home, anything can happen. One bag is stocked w/ tools, tire repair, orange vest, extra fleece, etc. If I get stuck, I have supplies to keep me warm, fed, etc.

happy riding!
mv
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Really impressive and a good example of how a few well-planned mods & additions can really transform a Buddy. Nice Corazzo jacket, too!

Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind me asking), how much do you think you've invested in mods so far?

How's the visibility with the bar-end mirrors compared to stock? A lot of bar-ends are quite small but these seem decent size.

Now that the Buddy's outfitted what kind of trips are you taking? (Distance, type of riding, etc.?)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
corazzo chad

Post by corazzo chad »

that seat looks awesome

I wonder if Rich will make a custom seat for my Puch moped, or do you think that would be below him....

I'm riding to Seattle next month
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

give him a call... he's a really nice guy. you could totally bling out your puch with some snakeskin, ostrich or alligator.

one little thing about the seat: Amy and I rode 2-up this weekend, and I ended up pretty far forward, sitting on the nose of the saddle. As she has a pretty orange stella, we won't be doing that too often.

thanks chad,
maryvu