Cowl Protector/Chrome Bumpers and Flat Tires

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mikeyb

Cowl Protector/Chrome Bumpers and Flat Tires

Post by mikeyb »

I love the look of the cowl protectors but I am curious how these will influence changing a flat tire? The cowl rotates up and also outward to remove the pin that hold the back of the cowl in place.... If that is the case, how can you move the cowl outward with the protectors bolted in place?

For those who have these please share????? If you have a picture or two of the stella, cowl protector and the cowl being removed please include them.

Thank you.

Mike
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

For most cowl protectors, it adds about two minutes to the process of removing the cowl, and maybe the same putting it back on.

Typically, they have black plastic knobs at the attachment points in the front and rear that can be removed without tools. Just undo the two knobs and carefully slide the protector off, then the cowl can be removed in the normal manner. Putting it back is just the reverse.

Personally, I wouldn't own a steel-bodied scooter without cowl protectors... they've saved my bacon more than once. I have two Vespas and a Stella, and have protectors on all three.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Great information and...... plainly stated..... thank you. I have been looking at the genuine brand sold by scooterworks. These are the ones that they claim are their best sellers. I see the front knob just above the foot peg on the front and am wondering how these connect in the back??? and where the knob would be? Any pictures of knobs that anyone can share.

It makes sense to have them for safety as you mentioned!
Attachments
CPG2-C.jpg
CPG2-C.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Ahh, I see the install instruction on the scooterworks page for the cowl protectors. Here is the picture of the instructions. Looks pretty straight forward. I would still like to see some shots at various angles of the installation if anyone has one of these. I noticed that the dealer installed my license plate a little low and there are two holes showing above the plates.
Attachments
CPG2-C.jpg
CPG2-C.jpg (46.57 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
supermach

Re: Cowl Protector/Chrome Bumpers and Flat Tires

Post by supermach »

mikeyb wrote:I love the look of the cowl protectors but I am curious how these will influence changing a flat tire? The cowl rotates up and also outward to remove the pin that hold the back of the cowl in place.... If that is the case, how can you move the cowl outward with the protectors bolted in place?

For those who have these please share????? If you have a picture or two of the stella, cowl protector and the cowl being removed please include them.

Thank you.

Mike
Take it you didn't read my post :roll: . I got the samething and it damage my bike. You well have paint cheap or holes so if you what it you do have to leave it on or you have to fix the damage (Like what I had to do).

Thanks Scooter Works!
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Actually I did see your post and was surprised with the problems. Based on the other comments it sounds like you were sent the wrong mounting bracket or something. The majority of the reports seem to lean towards good product. Unfortunately you had a bad experience and for that I am sorry. I will be careful during the installation process and protect the paint. Did you every take pictures of your installation like you said you were going to? I would like to see what it looks like and where you ran into problems.

Thanks,
Mike
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Assertions that these bars will damage your scooter if properly installed are nonsense. Admittedly, the instructions provided are minimal, but any reasonably intelligent person who thinks it through before plunging in should have no problems. It is true that some flexing of the bars is often necessary to get the holes on opposite ends to line up, but that is to be expected on anything made of formed tubing. The bars didn't damage any scooter; the installer did.

The rear attachment is made to a chrome bracket that installs beneath the license plate using the same holes as the plate. The front brackets install to the floorboard using existing bolts alongside the center tunnel.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Great info Dave.... Thank you. So there is no drilling needed for either front bumper or the cowl protector?

Thanks again,

Mike
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Nope, no drilling.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

jamisfoes

Post by jamisfoes »

Just don't buy the Cuppini cowl protector CPCUP1-C for Stella 4T. Even though Scooterworks say it fits, it doesn't. I fussed with it for 4 hours, drilled two holes on my scooter for the rear bracket and tried different bracket mounting positions. Nope. You will not get it to go on like the orange stella picture they show on scooterworks. And, it came with absolutely no instructions.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I got the ccup-1 cowl protectors and had the same problem. The rear mounting bracket doesn't line up. If you look at the picture on scooterworks, it's not bolted to the orange Stella either. They returned them, and sent me a different type. The new ones went on in a half hour.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"