My Buddy Experience

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Icelander

My Buddy Experience

Post by Icelander »

I'm sitting here staring out my living room window at my brand new Buddy 125. I feel like a combination between a kid at christmas and a new father. If that's possible.

I bought mine at XTreem Scooters in Bel Air, MD, and can't recommend them enough. Blair was helpful and fun, and seemed to know every customer by name. He knew I was coming from some distance, so he got all my information and filled out all the forms so I didn't have to wait very long to get on my Buddy.

And when I finally got on it, I fell instantly in love. It's fast and sleek. It carries my 6'4", 250 lbs frame like it's nothing. It's so easy to ride and comfortable, and so damn good looking.

I just have a few questions:

1) Is there a trick to the steering lock? I already broke one of my keys trying to lock it. :(
2) Is there a trick to adjusting the mirrors? They're really tight, and I don't want to risk breaking them, too.
3) What should I name it. It's a toss up between Jayne Cobb and V
Not really from Iceland.
freehope

trix

Post by freehope »

1) not sure if its a trick, but i find that jiggling the key and the steering column (to the left is where it locks, but not all the way to the left) at the same time helps. "A certain angle for the steering column before the lock will turn" is the other gallery commentary.

2) not sure

3) Votes from my household are for V (based on looks)
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

1. turn bars to the left and slightly push key inward as you turn it to the left...sometimes it helps to wiggle the bars a bit off of full lock left to make it lock.
2. Loosen the jam nut at the base, re postion mirror stem to allow maximum adjustment of the mirror glass
3. :roll:
4. Did you get an owners manual ?
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

regarding the locking- it is about a GENTLE touch-gently turn key and handle bars to the left, holding left brake seems to work for me. giggling is good too. same as seattle about the mirrors. V for the name.
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

I got the owners manual, but the engrish isn't very good.
Not really from Iceland.
dwnthehatch

Post by dwnthehatch »

Congrats! What color did you get? Blair is a nice guy. If you don't mind me asking, what's the OTD price on the 125 at xtreme? I'll be purchasing one from him soon and want to know what to expect.
castleton

Post by castleton »

re: mirrors

I had the same problem; they are really tight, but they loosen up over time. At first, when I was trying to adjust my left mirrorn, I found myself actually loosening the nut that attaches the mirror to the handlebars! But keep turning it just a little all around and it will start to "give" more (at least mine did!).

Know how you feel, bud! I had the same experience; the buddy was just a good fit from the start, and I felt like I'd been riding for years when I first hopped on it. In fact, on my test ride, I whispered under my breath, "I'm taking you home, honey!!"

:D
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
jaded

Post by jaded »

As long as it's not pink, I say Jayne Cobb. :twisted:
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

I got my mirrors adjusted, and figured out the turn lock without breaking my other key.

I also had my first spill on my Buddy. I was making a left turn and tried to hurry to get in front of a line of cars.

Bad idea.

I understeered and locked the brakes trying to avoid hitting the curb on the other side of the street. I fell onto my right side, got some scrapes and bruises, and broke the right rear turn signal lens.

Thankfully, I wasn't hurt and my wife didn't kill me.

Lesson: Don't try to beat a line of cars, and stay away from busy intersections without stop lights.
Not really from Iceland.
jaded

Post by jaded »

Icelander wrote: I also had my first spill on my Buddy.
oooo, sorry about your spill. Glad you weren't hurt.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear that! I took one myself, 3 weeks ago today. I got a nice ride in an ambulance, on a back board. Mostly road rash and BIG bruises (I take blood thinners). It's clearing up each day, still have a bit of a back ache.

"Tink" is in the shop as we speak having some "cosmetic work" done. Didn't really mess anything up, broke the left break handle, loosened the mirror and added some scratches. But I figured I'd do some mods to the color while they have it. Where the Cream one is black, my Pink one will be now, including changing the seat from white to black.

I'm anxious to get back on the road.
By the way, my husband was driving in front of me on his and saw me go over the scooter from his rear view mirror :shock:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

I just got the following email from my dealer after telling him how my first few days have gone
Glad to hear you are enjoying the scooter. Sorry to hear about the mishap but no biggy.... As long as you are ok that is all that matters. Take some digital photos and e-mail them to me and I'll look up the parts.

Keys we can cut, parts we can always get new ones.... Customers are irreplaceable!
I LOVE THESE GUYS!!!
Not really from Iceland.
Anthony Hinegardner

Re: My Buddy Experience

Post by Anthony Hinegardner »

Icelander wrote:I'm sitting here staring out my living room window at my brand new Buddy 125. I feel like a combination between a kid at christmas and a new father. If that's possible.

I bought mine at XTreem Scooters in Bel Air, MD, and can't recommend them enough. Blair was helpful and fun, and seemed to know every customer by name. He knew I was coming from some distance, so he got all my information and filled out all the forms so I didn't have to wait very long to get on my Buddy.

And when I finally got on it, I fell instantly in love. It's fast and sleek. It carries my 6'4", 250 lbs frame like it's nothing. It's so easy to ride and comfortable, and so damn good looking.

1) Is there a trick to the steering lock? I already broke one of my keys trying to lock it. :(
2) Is there a trick to adjusting the mirrors? They're really tight, and I don't want to risk breaking them, too.
Yea we got ours from Extreme scooters in bel air as well .Blair realy took care of us .We got the pink one for my wife and she loves it .She went to get her nails done the other day and when she pulled into the parking lot all of the women came running out to check out her pink buddy . I sneek out on it sometimes but people just give me funny looks :oops: There is no trick to locking the steering other than just wiggling the key a tad and dont force it
dahuffy

Re: My Buddy Experience

Post by dahuffy »

Anthony Hinegardner wrote:
Icelander wrote:I'm sitting here staring out my living room window at my brand new Buddy 125. I feel like a combination between a kid at christmas and a new father. If that's possible.

Yea we got ours from Extreme scooters in bel air as well .Blair realy took care of us .We got the pink one for my wife and she loves it .She went to get her nails done the other day and when she pulled into the parking lot all of the women came running out to check out her pink buddy . I sneek out on it sometimes but people just give me funny looks :oops: There is no trick to locking the steering other than just wiggling the key a tad and dont force it
My husband took my Pink one for a ride to his Train Club meeting before getting his Cream one. Of course they all ragged on him...but he says that he has "Big Shoulders"
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"