Riding in the wind....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scooterz

Riding in the wind....

Post by scooterz »

Hey y'all

It was a fairly windy day here in Northern CA....As I'm cruising to work this morning, I felt kinda insecure on my buddy, (I've only had it about a month). It felt like a crosswind was gonna blow the buddy out from under me. I know I'm a lightweight, 110 lbs. And I know the feeling of the wind hitting my old Toyota truck, that pushy feeling...just wondering if anyone has ever actually lost it in the wind? Just trying to figure out how safe I am when it's blowing hard.

Thanks!!

kel
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Actually, wind would probably affect those of us who are larger because there's more area to push around.

When you first start riding and get hit by a crosswind for the first time, it is kind of un-nerving. I have encounter several windy days (including today) since then and just learn to compensate quickly.

I have yet to have one even come close to pushing me over. Do I have a limit with winds before I jump into my truck? Yes, probably.

Use your best judgement.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

It's safer than cagers that don't pay attention!

Seriously, the key is just to relax. It's okay if the scoot moves around a bit under you- it's not going to fall over. It does feel a little strange to be leaned over while going in a straight line, but it will become more familiar with each gust. Just take extra care when turning, as things can get interesting when you're leaned over and the wind is gusting...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:Actually, wind would probably affect those of us who are larger because there's more area to push around.
Maybe, but not on a Buddy! Because the Buddy's center of gravity is so low, the Weeble Effect kicks in and the problem for lighter riders becomes stability. (I've witnessed his watching my wife ride in high winds.)

The ones to watch out for are the sudden cross winds at intersections when you clear buildings that may have been blocking them. These can seem like a sudden blast from the side.

vitaminC's advice was right on: Stay loose and don't stiffen up as soon as wind hits. Give yourself as much room on the sides as you can. And, really, if you go out and are having a hard time fighting it, turn around and seek alternate transportation. You don't want to get caught miles out in conditions you can't handle or which are causing massive anxiety.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

It never occurred to me how FREAKING windy it is in the northern Central Valley here (Born and Raised in Fresno) until I got the scooter.

It sucks but had a REAL scare on one of the 2 bridges last week. REAL windy blast coming from the right adjusted accordingly. Then got hit by a HUGE gust from the left! :shock: THAT SCARED THE POO OUT OF ME!

I was more worried about the slick roads this morning from the "rain" we got.

I recall one of my MSF instructors mentioned what a B@#CH it is to ride through Lodi and the rest of the delta area until you hit Elk Grove due to the wind. I guess you guys get it a bit worse south of us!

Slow down? Practice with it more, countersteering and all.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

If you're in SoCal in the wind, another thing to watch for is flying palm frauns...I was very lucky I had my FF helmet on during a Santa Ana day, or I may have had a broken nose! The whiplash was bad enough from one of those bad boys whacking me in the face at 45mph!
Keys

Post by Keys »

Also realize that a windshield will function as a sail to catch the wind and move your handlebars around. My wife has a Honda Helix (with windshield) and even though it's 100 pounds heavier than my Buddy, gets thrown around by the wind significantly more than my windshield-less Buddy.

Personally, I kind of enjoy hanging loose and letting a good breeze move my scooter around under me. Matter of fact, THAT'S the key. Anyone who's ridden dirtbikes knows the key to control is to allow the bike to move under you. It works the same way with the wind. DON'T try to force the scooter stay in the position you want...it's impossible and you'll just frustrate yourself. YOU stay consistant and let the scoot move. It'll go one way, then the other, but if you are steady, the bike will be consistant in it's positioning on the road...just let it move back and forth as it needs.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

the wind alone wont knock you off. the wheels act like giant gyroscopes and tend to want to go straight and steady by themselves. your weight means you are less surface area (think of your body being a sail, big fatties being larger sails), but the less weight can make it "feel" less stable. just relax and enjoy the ride!
I have the scoots!
scooterz

Post by scooterz »

Thanks you guys for the great tips, advice, info. I love this forum!! It's so awesome to have a way to chat with other scooter-ers, about stuff. I think I'm the only scooter rider in town, so not to many people to discuss stuff with. Again thanks, and I'll practice and relax more when it's blowing!! :D
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Windy as heck today .... when going back to work from lunch break, driving into the wind , realy hard to get up any speed..... going home after work , still windy , going with the wind at a pretty good clip , must have been going about the same speed as the wind cuase my hair wasnt blowing around much at all .... kind of wierd
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:Windy as heck today .... when going back to work from lunch break, driving into the wind , realy hard to get up any speed..... going home after work , still windy , going with the wind at a pretty good clip , must have been going about the same speed as the wind cuase my hair wasnt blowing around much at all .... kind of wierd
That is such an eerie feeling! its like twilight zone stuff when its perfectly still but you're moving down the road.
I have the scoots!