undecided

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scoothead

undecided

Post by scoothead »

I am trying to decide which scooter to buy. I am choosing between a blur 150 or kymco 150. I have never had a scooter, please help me and give me your advice. Thanks
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Test ride both, then decide.

If money is a crucial matter - try the Buddy 125 - it will save you $800 and will go just as fast, good for everything except the freeway.

The People 150 is a great scooter, the big wheels give great stability and are great for bad steets. It is the best choice for riding with a passenger.

The Blur is the best handling scooter on the American roads. Even with its smaller 13in wheels it is very stable at both low and high speeds. It has a high seat, which makes it difficult for short riders (you probably need at least a 31in inseam to flat foot it at stops). The Blur is plenty roomy enough for two adults to ride, but the slope of the seat can take a bit of getting used to for the passenger.

The Buddy is very easy to ride, will give the best mileage, is an easy fit for short riders, but might be too small for some tall riders (although many like it just fine). It isn't a good choice for two full size adults to ride.

Test ride anything your dealer will let you ride. Don't buy anything you haven't ridden. The ride will tell you what to do.

-Mark
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, quality-wise, they're about the same, so it really comes down to personal preference (ergonomics, aesthetics, riding style). We can't make that decision for you, though obviously we're partial to Blurs.

Mark's right, don't rule out the Buddy, either, unless you're too tall/big for it. It's as fast as a Blur and cheaper. I don't really like the way they look, but they're great for the money, and they're probably outselling just about every scooter out there, which means better parts and service for a longer time.

Kymco and Genuine are both good companies with (mostly) great dealers, so longevity and parts supply isn't too much of a concern, just make sure you choose a good dealer who will be there for you in the future.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
NoogaScooter

Post by NoogaScooter »

I'll second everyone's comments above. We have a Blur and a Buddy and I ride them both. For high speed (what I call high speed - 55mph) the Blur is much smoother than the Buddy. The Blur also loves turns and twists in the road...it knows what to do.

As far as quickness and top speed, I think they're about the same. I guess the trade-off is the larger engine means more weight which means about the same speed as the Buddy.

However, I say, the Buddy is a little more "fun" to drive. The retro-styling, along with how it's not quite as smooth as the Blur makes me consider it to be more "fun".

I like them both but can't compare to the Kymco since I haven't ridden one.

My .02

NS
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

I'd go with all the suggestions above - everyone's got great points to make.

My own $0.02 is, if you're a beginning scooterist and not sure what you like best, start with something small and economical - so Buddy would be a good choice (assuming you like the style). If I recall, the Buddy has good storage space (one of those key issues that made me choose a scooter over a motorcycle - yes you can always add saddle bags and top cases, but it's nice not needing them all the time). Once you add scootering to your lifestyle, you'll probably end up lusting after some other scooter or another anyway, especially because by then you'll key in to what aspects of scootering provide you with the most enjoyment.

At this point I've gone through a 200cc scooter, a 500cc, and now 150cc. Currently I have both the 500cc (Piaggio BV500) and 150cc (Blur). I guess I really need only one, but each one excels in a different way from the other. Let's face it - it's just fun to ride different rides.

When I wanted a smaller scooter, I personally chose the Blur over the Buddy, because: 1) I wanted 150cc minimum (next after 150cc is 200cc, and for me 200cc scooters are a bit heavy and less agile without that much more power); 2) I wanted a decently cool, non-retro-looking scooter, the more modern looking the better; and 3) the Blur seemed better built to me, from the frame to the exhaust, etc. But as they say your mileage may vary, so I'd say check them all out and see which strikes you best, in terms of performance, looks, price, and practicality.