Automatic Aprilia

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vitaminC

Automatic Aprilia

Post by vitaminC »

From Motorycle Daily
Announced in Milan last Fall, the Aprilia Mana 850 heralded, perhaps, the beginning of an era of automatic transmissioned motorcycles.

The new Mana 850 has now entered production, and here are some photos of the beautiful naked machine. Aprilia is also using this engine/transmission combination in a large scooter, but automatic transmission scooters are fairly commonplace now, of course.

The 850cc ninety-degree v-twin should provide plenty of power, and we hope to have the opportunity to test this bike and report back to you.

I like it!!!
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Man. That is gorgeous.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Aprilia Mana should be available in the US in April or May at Aprilia and some Piaggio dealers. Yeah, I want one. A MV member has already ordered his! The transmission isn't a CVT auto, it's some kind of switchable semi-auto hybrid thing (excuse me for getting technical).

This same engine (and, I think, transmission) is used in the Gilera GP800 scoot—a 850cc v-twin that's the fastest production scooter on the planet and which really pushes the boundaries of the definition of "scooter." It's also got crazy storage space and is a real beaut, too, of a modern-looking maxi. Only maxi I'd really consider owning.

There's also a rumor that the engine will be put into a Piaggio MP3/Gilera Fuoco 3-wheeled scoot and rebadged as a Moto Guzzi. Piaggio's really blurring the lines between their brands!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: This same engine (and, I think, transmission) is used in the Gilera GP800 scoot—a 850cc v-twin that's the fastest production scooter on the planet and which really pushes the boundaries of the definition of "scooter." It's also got crazy storage space and is a real beaut, too, of a modern-looking maxi. Only maxi I'd really consider owning.
Okay, I'll take one of each! 8)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

ericalm wrote: There's also a rumor that the engine will be put into a Piaggio MP3/Gilera Fuoco 3-wheeled scoot and rebadged as a Moto Guzzi. Piaggio's really blurring the lines between their brands!
A Moto Guzzi without a big V-twin sticking out sideways?? Blasphemy! The "purists" will have a field day with that one...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

vitaminC wrote:
ericalm wrote: There's also a rumor that the engine will be put into a Piaggio MP3/Gilera Fuoco 3-wheeled scoot and rebadged as a Moto Guzzi. Piaggio's really blurring the lines between their brands!
A Moto Guzzi without a big V-twin sticking out sideways?? Blasphemy! The "purists" will have a field day with that one...
A Moto Guzzi scooter?!
In the past, Piaggio hasn't put versions of the same model in different product lines. (They have shared engines and compnents between various models across product lines. The differences between Piaggio/Vespa/Aprilia scooters these days are largely body styles.)

The first instance of a model crossing over (I think) was when a version of the Piaggio MP3 was released in overseas—with a slightly different body style—as the Gilera Fuoco. Now the Fuoco 500cc will be coming to the US, rebadged as a Piaggio.

This means that though the Gilera line isn't sold here, the GP800 could make it over someday. And a lot of scooterists would love to get their hands on other Gileras, especially the speedy little Runner (which would be stiff competition for the Blur).

But a Guzzi version of the MP3 still sounds pretty far-fetched to me.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

Now, the Runner is one I'd be interested in. If I wanted the power of a motorcycle, I'd BUY a motorcycle...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Keys wrote:If I wanted the power of a motorcycle, I'd BUY a motorcycle...
When you're going that big, what's the difference? I love the Mana and would be happy to own one. But say I wanted something to ride up the coast with a passenger. I could buy a Gold Wing or something equally gigantic and ridiculous. Most of the bikes I would consider (BMW 1200RS) aren't comfortable for a passenger... Something like the GP800, Aprilia Scarabeo 500 or even MP3 500ie may just be the ticket. My opposition to most maxi scoots is largely aesthetic.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Black Mana with sidecases & windshield (from a MV post):

Damn sexy! (No, I don't mean the grey-haired gentleman...)
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

How can you go wrong with a trellis frame?
ericalm wrote: Image
Damn sexy! (No, I don't mean the grey-haired gentleman...)
Is that a motorcycle in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'll be here all week... :roll: