Dilemma opinion please

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rfman81

Dilemma opinion please

Post by rfman81 »

So, I would like some guidance here. At this point in time I am looking for a new scoot. I currently have a Honda metro. Has been a ton of fun, great for driving back and forth to work but I would like something bigger. Now I live in the nashville area.
I looked at several different scoots but the three I keep coming back to are this.
1. Buddy 125 ( unfortunately the only place that sold buddies here closed beginning of this month. I went and sat on some and would say the fit/ handlebar placement felt great with my height 6'3")
2. Get a used buddy 150 black jack or international, I would like the extra cc's for speed and hills. (no dealer support however I think there is a mechanic from east side scooters opening his own shop)
3. Purchase a kymco people 150 (actually have a dealer network here which is a major plus, but I am not in love with the look or the feel of sitting on the scoot, I have not driven one yet)

That's where I am at. I am leaning for the kymco cause of the dealer support but man I love the look of the buddy.

So I would appreciate your thoughts. Those of you with expereience with both scoots I would really appreciate your thoughts.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

is it a used kymco or new ?? theres really good deals on used scoots no mater were you live , i would look around test drive a few and go from there any thing under 4 or 5 thousand miles is a steal at half the mrsp
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Both are great scooters and if you really prefer the Buddy over the Kymco, that's what you should get, especially if you're going to buy used. If you were buying new, I could see where the dealer support is important because otherwise, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the warranty. But if you buy used, there's no warranty anyhow. Have you asked at the Kymco dealer if they'd service a Buddy? I take mine to the Kymco dealer, just as a personal choice, and they're fine with working on it.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I love the Genuine Buddy scooters, but the Kymco People 150 is a famously great scooter. If you have local dealer support for the Kymco, the decision would be a no-brainer for me.

If part of your hesitation is that you're afraid you won't be welcome here on this forum, that is not the case. There are plently of folks here who do not currently own a Genuine scooter. The only thing you will really miss is occasional technical information that is specific to the Genuine scooter.

Hope this helps rather than making you more perplexed. :wink:
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

At your height, I'd look for a used SYM HD200. The Buddy is a fantastic scoot, but I found myself wanting for more room shortly after it's purchase, which is why I got a Blur. The Blur is also another really good option for you.

For reliability, all the options you mentioned are good candidates, but they're all fit for a more vertically compact person except maybe the Kymco 150, but I haven't seen one of them in person.

I'm not very helpful at all, am I?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

To me it's a no brainer....buy the used Buddy.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BuddyRaton wrote:To me it's a no brainer....buy the used Buddy.
Ditto. And personally I would get a 150.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
easy

Post by easy »

get a used buddy if the shop can fix a kymco they can keep a buddy on the road. I just would not buy a new buddy with no dealer support there's no point in it without a local shop for warranty work. With the cost of oil changes it really pays to do it yourself.
what did you trade the day for?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

How much of the year do you plan on riding, and over what kind of terrains? One of the things that's going to greatly factor into my next scooter is tire selection/cost. 10" tire selection is fantastic for the buddy: summer, higher-speed rated (if you want to go voodoo), winter, etc. Also, 10" tires are dirt-cheap, especially compared to motorcycle tires. (My normal Vee Rubber tire runs 25-30 each...cheaper than my bicycle tires.)
I have no clue about the kymco.
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Thanks for everyone's response. Good points on if I buy used it should not matter regarding dealer network. I will check out the sym hd200. I like the older look though of the buddy.
Currently I drive year round as long as its not snow or ice. I continue to plan to ride that way. Cold and rain don't stop me. It's all urban riding no off roading. Don't really need to use interstate as I can get everywhere without it.
Chershire very good point on tires, I had not thought of that and the kymco board has several people complaining options for tires.

Thank you all for your opinions and help. Would love to hear from some people who own kymcos.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If you want a new Buddy, I still say go for it. They are so reliable I doubt you would run into problems. And if you did have problems, I'm sure Genuine would work with you on warranty repairs at a Kymco dealer. Especially since you don't have a local dealer. At your size, I'd also go with the 170i if you're going to buy a new Genuine.

If you're handy with tools, I'd also consider getting a Buddy if that's what you really want. Many have experienced less than stellar service at authorized Genuine dealers, so many do their own wrenching. It isn't that difficult and there are some awesome online resources available (like Modern Buddy and the Service Manual).

Both scooters are excellent choices. But go with your heart or you'll always wish you had gotten the one that you really wanted.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

You should go down to the Kymco dealership and just ask if they also work on buddys.
If the bikes your main transportation you might want the dealer support.

AND! whats wrong with ugrading to a bigger honda? huh? Huh!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

scootavaran wrote:AND! whats wrong with ugrading to a bigger honda? huh? Huh!
Simple reason. Cost.

Those Honda's are nice, but dayum!
uncleralph

Post by uncleralph »

I was in a similar situation. I just sold my Honda Met and was looking for a replacement with some more speed. I really like the Buddy and seriously considered one, but the closest dealer is 40 miles away. Having a close dealer is an important consideration for me. I have a very good local Honda dealer, but new Hondas are pricey. My solution was to keep looking for used scooters. Last week I bought a 2010 Honda Elite with 2,300 miles for $1,500 - half the price of a new one. There are good deals out there if you keep looking.

I realize this will not have the top speed of a Buddy, but I don't have the need (or desire) to go more than 50 mph, so the Honda should fit my riding just fine. This is a great forum and was a contributing factor in my interest in a Buddy. I will continue to hang around here even though I bought another Honda.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Being that rfman81 is kinda tall-ish and has been riding a Honda Met with no issues and also says that the feel of sitting on a Buddy seems to 'fit' I'd say go for the Buddy!!
I too stepped up from a Met to a Buddy, haven't regretted the decision! I purchased a used Buddy 150 with no dealer 'support' within 50miles, possibly more as the closest dealer at the time didn't want anything to do with me as I didn't buy from him! Philadelphia (90miles) was then closest to me......

Oh, I actually do have one regret: I still have my Met and 'he' has been for the most part neglected since I got the Buddy.... :(
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

You may want to sit/test ride on each of the three. That way you can get a feel for how it fits you. I have a Buddy 125 and a HD-200, I love them both.
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Yes I am sorta tallish, and I can't really say I fit the Honda Met. Lets just say my friends always get a good laugh seeing me pull out. Tall guy on a tiny scooter apparently is pretty funny. :lol: But you get used to it and make it work. I did fit the buddy well, the placement of the handlebars was just right, or it might be i am so used to the metro that anything feels better. Ha! Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

dealer support is over-rated, just buy the buddy and find a mechanic who knows what he is doing.. assuming your town has several scooter/motorcycle shops
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

rfman81 wrote: I will check out the sym hd200. I like the older look though of the buddy.
First, my recommendation is to avoid SYM HD200 not because of quality of scooter. It is top notch. However, I have some reservations about the distributor's ability to procure parts.

My first scooter was a Buddy--Top quality, bulletproof, nervous ride, quick and nimble. Sold it.
My 2nd scooter was a Kymco People 150--Top quality, bulletproof, smooth ride, faster than the Buddy 125 & 150 but not as nimble. Still running strong at 21K Km
My 3rd scooter is a SYM HD200-Better ride, top quality, bulletproof, very quick and nimble for a large scooter, not particularly attractive, currently non-op because of an accident.

Dealer support is important. They can get parts faster than a non-dealer.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Keys

Post by Keys »

pcbikedude wrote:
rfman81 wrote: I will check out the sym hd200. I like the older look though of the buddy.
First, my recommendation is to avoid SYM HD200 not because of quality of scooter. It is top notch. However, I have some reservations about the distributor's ability to procure parts.
I don't think that's as big a deal as you might think...I have an HD200 and last month ordered a belt and rollers from my dealer. A week later they were there. I'm thinkin' Alliance will do well for us.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Keys wrote:I don't think that's as big a deal as you might think...I have an HD200 and last month ordered a belt and rollers from my dealer. A week later they were there. I'm thinkin' Alliance will do well for us.

--Keys
For small consumable items, they are coming through. Larger items, there seems to be issues.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Just wanted to update everyone what I ended up with. I ended up getting a new Buddy 125 in wonderful orange. I got such a great deal on a new one that I could not pass it up. Looking forward to driving the new scoot around. Now I need to figure out what to do with my trusty Metro. Anyone interested in a Honda Met :).

Thanks all who contributed.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

That effin orange color is AWESOME. I like getting new stuff. You know where its been and whats been done to it. Very solid choice and IMHO the best choice you had. Congrats and post pics. :D
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

rfman81 wrote:Just wanted to update everyone what I ended up with. I ended up getting a new Buddy 125 in wonderful orange. I got such a great deal on a new one that I could not pass it up. Looking forward to driving the new scoot around. Now I need to figure out what to do with my trusty Metro. Anyone interested in a Honda Met :).

Nice choice! I was going to suggest buying new anyhow, if the dealer that was going out of business could give you a deal. :)

The orange ones are the fastest ones too! (though the black ones are a close second) :P

If you have the option, you might want to keep your other scooter. I "round robin" my scoots, so the miles don't all pile on to one so fast...plus each scooter has it's own brand of fun....and you just never know when having an extra will come in handy. :wink:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
skully93

Post by skully93 »

yeah. I love my Zuma, and unless I can get rid of it for a really high price, I can't see why. I'm still secretly hoping that my other half will catch the bug, but I don't think so.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

rfman81 wrote:Just wanted to update everyone what I ended up with. I ended up getting a new Buddy 125 in wonderful orange. I got such a great deal on a new one that I could not pass it up. Looking forward to driving the new scoot around. Now I need to figure out what to do with my trusty Metro. Anyone interested in a Honda Met :).

WE WANT PHOTOS! No pics it didn't happen! :mrgreen:

Congrats on the new scoot!

And sorry...no...I'm not interested in the Met.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Thanks everyone.
As requested crappy cell pic. Old 3GS. Sorry photography is not one of my fortes. The rear rack and top case came in the price of the scoot. I have only bought the cowl protectors.

As for the Honda Met. I have mulled keeping it, problem is I do not have a shed/garage so both sit in my driveway. My wife does like riding it... we shall see. Just not sure I want to have to keep up with both maintenance wise.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

Congrats!

I love naming the scooters. Why? they each have their own personalities...
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Curious, rfman -- did you get this from Chris a/k/a Rooster, d/b/a Eastside Motorwerx, Inglewood?
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

He helped facilitate the transaction. Picked it up from his shop. Chris is a nice dude. I had been eying this for awhile at East Side but wasn't the right time. I was surprised to see it at his shop when I went there. The deal was too good to pass this time.

I have seen you on the scoot nashville site. Been meaning to join up just seems things stuff just gets in the way. Gonna see if I can slip away from the fam for a ride or two this year.