Becoming a cold weather wuss

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

Becoming a cold weather wuss

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I used to ride unless there was snow or ice on the ground. Now it seems like every time I wake up in the morning and it's below 30 degrees I come up with some excuse not to ride. This morning it's because it's foggy (and 26 degrees) I know darn well if it was 45 and foggy I'd be riding into work today. Owning a car and a scooter definitely makes you soft :lol: If my choices were ride the scooter or take the bus I know my lazy arse would be riding into work this morning. I think a lot of it is that riding is no longer new to me and I know the scooters will be there when the weather isn't so damn cold. I do feel kind of bad though, as I have all this gear specifically for riding in cold weather. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

I would argue that 26F and foggy is a pretty sound argument for not riding. That's moisture in the air that kinda wants to turn to ice. :shock:

It was a balmy 35F here out west this morning, so I scooted. :)
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Yeah, I scooted but it was a warm 30 degrees in the garage and we apparently didn't get the fog around RO/Troy/Downtown. I too am re-evaluating riding through the worst of it. These dark, misty mornings with frost on the ground have been tough for me to get on the scooter. I can deal with the frost (it isn't in the main streets) but add in the dark and a little wet mist and I'm in the Transit Connect. We get some morning light starting next Sunday, so I'm looking forward to that (and dreading complete darkness at 5PM!).

I also am a firm believer in if you are not "feeling it", it's probably a message from the universe that you shouldn't be riding. Don't feel bad about not riding into work, but try to plan a few minutes for a fun ride later if the weather is a bit warmer. I specifically reserve some time on these fall weekend afternoons to get out for a ride during the warmest, driest part of the days. While we can!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

better safe than sorry , you cant come back from death or brain damage
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I did the same thing this morning when I went to leave for work. Had to move the scoot to the back of the garage for the floor guys to come in and work (without hitting it with supplies, etc.) and thought, "Man, it's sunny, but it's effin cold, and the cars are covered in frost... I guess I'll take the car...." but I will be out on the scoot later, we have a high of 48 today!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
supermach

Re: Becoming a cold weather wuss

Post by supermach »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I used to ride unless there was snow or ice on the ground. Now it seems like every time I wake up in the morning and it's below 30 degrees I come up with some excuse not to ride. This morning it's because it's foggy (and 26 degrees) I know darn well if it was 45 and foggy I'd be riding into work today. Owning a car and a scooter definitely makes you soft :lol: If my choices were ride the scooter or take the bus I know my lazy arse would be riding into work this morning. I think a lot of it is that riding is no longer new to me and I know the scooters will be there when the weather isn't so damn cold. I do feel kind of bad though, as I have all this gear specifically for riding in cold weather. :lol:
I still drive and it's around 35 out most of the time... Now i'm happy that I have alittle bit of swedish in me :P
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Kinda makes me glad I live in So-Cal. Although I did live in colder climates before.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

jasondavis48108 wrote: Owning a car and a scooter definitely makes you soft :lol:
I sold my car. no plan B 8) - basically I am screwed. :(
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
viney266

Post by viney266 »

YAH, I hear you...I used to be carless and ALWAYS rode...I"ve gotten "soft" ,too..Somedays I am just a wuss...Its okay we all have weak days..

" Hello, My name is Bill and I was a wussie today" ( said standing in front of group) :wink:
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

wiggle the st :lol: rator
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Between a tall windshield, handle muffs, a tucano urban termoscud, properly lined jacket, long johns and winter socks plus a merino wool buff and glove liners I am ready to ride through the worst that Virginia weather has to throw at me ;)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I drove the other day during/after the snow, I drove Monday because there was still melting going on and I didn't want to worry about re-freeze on my way home from work, 11pm. I drove yesterday (Tuesday) because I was lazy, had to fill the tank in the Jeep $60.00 (Equal to 15 fill ups of the scoot!) Ugggg.....!! :roll: (first time I've gassed up the Jeep since 20 August)
SHOULDDA ridden it was 60* on my way to work, 40* and clear on my way home........ :?

I'm going to see how long I can go this winter without regularly using the car, I've enough cold winter clothing in my 'arsenal' after spending my entire adult life working out-doors.
HECK I'm even going to ride the scoot to the Jeep Club meeting tonight! 8)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jasondavis48108

It's good to know I'm not the only wuss out there :lol:

Luckily today it was great weather here in SE Michigan. High 30's on my way into work this morning and it's gonna be low 60's on my way home woohoo!

I don't have a windscreen to speak of on the SH150 but I have all of the gear. Hell I look like the malt-o-meal kid riding into work when it's cold. :lol: Still, I don't think I'll be doing any 20 degree riding this year.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I have to put my wuss-ness away for tonight as my car has now joined the winter beater as padiddle status. One of the ballasts for my HID headlights is fried, and I have to order a new one (thankfully they are still under warranty). Of course, it was working intermittently for a little while now, if it went out, I could turn them off for 10 seconds, turn them back on, and it would fire up just fine. It just seemed like something was loose in the wiring, so bf looked at it, and banged on the headlight housing a couple times to see if anything swung loose... nope. But now the headlight won't work AT ALL.

So when I am working night shifts (like tonight), I am taking the scoot, since it's legal for that to have only one headlight... So far, I have not seen a single other bike out on the road today. It is November 2nd after all.

It's going to be a chilly 30, with a 25-ish wind chill on my way home...
Glad I brought some extra gloves and socks with me!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:wiggle the st :lol: rator
awww, dawgonit where did ya go buddy?

Seriously Jason I hear ya. Living in this paved over swamp for five years has turned me into a complete wuss.
I used to ride my bicycle in any weather, as a matter of fact I used to love to ride when it was so cold my breath would freeze to my facial hair. Now I can't imagine riding in sub 30 degree temps, oh god the horror!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Wheelz wrote: I used to ride my bicycle in any weather, as a matter of fact I used to love to ride when it was so cold my breath would freeze to my facial hair. Now I can't imagine riding in sub 30 degree temps, oh god the horror!
I thought my ride home was quite refreshing! Although I don't have facial hair for my breath to freeze to... :bat:
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

im enjoying my south texas weather, it was a crisp 85 out side today :lol:
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

AWinn6889 wrote:"Man, it's sunny, but it's effin cold, and the cars are covered in frost... I guess I'll take the car...."
I take my scoot on those mornings just so I don't have to scrape the windows on my car!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

SuperFlyBuddy wrote:
AWinn6889 wrote:"Man, it's sunny, but it's effin cold, and the cars are covered in frost... I guess I'll take the car...."
I take my scoot on those mornings just so I don't have to scrape the windows on my car!
Meh, windshield washer fluid and wipers worked just fine on the windshield and the rear window (yay hatchback!). My car heats up really quickly, so the frost is usually completely gone within a couple minutes, and my bum gets nice and toasty from the wonderful heated seats. If the buddy had a heated seat, it would be perfect!
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

You could build your own seat heater by putting nichrome (heating element wire, you can get it at Home Depot etc.) underneath your seat pad and wiring it to the battery.
jasondavis48108

Wheelz wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:wiggle the st :lol: rator
awww, dawgonit where did ya go buddy?

Seriously Jason I hear ya. Living in this paved over swamp for five years has turned me into a complete wuss.
I used to ride my bicycle in any weather, as a matter of fact I used to love to ride when it was so cold my breath would freeze to my facial hair. Now I can't imagine riding in sub 30 degree temps, oh god the horror!
I used to ride my bike to work all winter as well. I remember having to remove ice from my eyelashes during some double digit below zero weather. Now I only ice bike for fun on the weekends. Whatever will I do if the zombie Apocalypse comes during January? :lol:
jasondavis48108

beastmaster wrote:im enjoying my south texas weather, it was a crisp 85 out side today :lol:
You suck :P

In all seriousness, the one thing I do like about Michigan winters is that in trade for all the snow and cold we get we don't have to deal with hurricanes, tornadoes (most of the time), earthwakes, we have almost no poisonous bugs or reptiles, and no killer bees. Basically if you can survive the winters here then your pretty safe :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

©MichiganAwesome.com

Except, you know, the tough ones. :)
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

TVB wrote:I would argue that 26F and foggy is a pretty sound argument for not riding.
I'll never complain again about the temps down here in Georgia! :shock:
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

You're not a cold weather wuss, you're a fair weather rider. :)
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I have to say I am amazed and impressed by those of you who ride when temperatures are in the 30's or worse! Incredible. Crazy, but incredible :) I will definitely stand up and say if there is any cold weather wuss here it's me! Leader of the wuss pack for sure. Nothing below 50º for me please :)

The worst it gets here in urban LA is the 40's during winter. Plenty rough enough for scooting IMO. The ocean air can easily make it feel cooler. It can get worse in the canyons too. Either way I am definitely dressed for the tundra!

Areas surrounding LA can get much, much colder as the altitude increases. Just so you don't think we're all total weenies here in SoCal and life is all beaches and sunshine, this a photo of Eric and I up above 7000' in the Angeles Mountains on our way back from Wrightwood/Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear. Adventure scooting!

topic15240.html
Attachments
Eric and Skootz up above 7000'. Adventure scooting!
Eric and Skootz up above 7000'. Adventure scooting!
ericjustinsnowsm_124.jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 2176 times

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

And my response as someone who rides in all weather, and actually really likes riding in the cold because the cars are so much more respectful, I don't think I could do the heat that a lot of you do, particularly the Texas to southern East Coast riders. 100F and 95% humidity...how do you do it?

The reason I keep going to Canada in June for my riding vacation (despite the unending rain and cold) is because I can't imagine how I would react to riding in Tennessee or Kentucky in June. Hot and humid weather turns me into an unthinking, angry person...bad for riding.

The other day when I left at midday for work (after a nice sleep-in), it was in the upper 40s and I actually grabbed my heated gloves. As a punishment on the ride home, I didn't wear my jacket under my riding jacket to toughen me up for real winter.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:Image
©MichiganAwesome.com

Except, you know, the tough ones. :)
so awesome :D
jasondavis48108

rsrider wrote:You're not a cold weather wuss, you're a fair weather rider. :)
way to keep it positive rs :)
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only wuss! I love riding in the Texas heat - not sure why, really. The cold - not so much. I posted on the forum for my local scooter club, asking what kind of cold weather gear they all wear, and the few who responded basically said it doesn't get cold enough to be too worried. Since it actually does freeze, I beg to differ! I'll be the one wearing a face masque (dont have a FF helmet) fleece-lined overpants, and winter gauntlet gloves!
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
beastmaster wrote:im enjoying my south texas weather, it was a crisp 85 out side today :lol:
You suck :P

In all seriousness, the one thing I do like about Michigan winters is that in trade for all the snow and cold we get we don't have to deal with hurricanes, tornadoes (most of the time), earthwakes, we have almost no poisonous bugs or reptiles, and no killer bees. Basically if you can survive the winters here then your pretty safe :lol:
had to lol
Attachments
snake.jpg
snake.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
killer_bees.jpg
killer_bees.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

You kidding me? 50 degrees starts getting cold :cry:

Then again, I ride in 115 degree heat and laugh at the whiners. LAUGH you hear me!! (well, after drinking plenty of water at each stop in my day). I'm just configured differently. Most people think I'm insane for riding a bike in temps that high.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

neotrotsky wrote:You kidding me? 50 degrees starts getting cold :cry:

Then again, I ride in 115 degree heat and laugh at the whiners. LAUGH you hear me!! (well, after drinking plenty of water at each stop in my day). I'm just configured differently. Most people think I'm insane for riding a bike in temps that high.
...I can't wait to be riding in that wonderful 115 degree dry heat! It beats driving in the 25 degree dry freeze! I'm no winter wuss, but I'll take heat over cold any day!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Morning is the worst. You get out of your nice warm bed and walk outside and it is just COLD, and you just want to be warm again. But, 26 is pretty low. In Ohio I don't like to go out if it is below freezing because precipitation is so unpredictable here and if snow or ice is a possibility while I am out, well then I am stranded.
jasondavis48108

bluebuddygirl wrote:Morning is the worst. You get out of your nice warm bed and walk outside and it is just COLD, and you just want to be warm again. But, 26 is pretty low. In Ohio I don't like to go out if it is below freezing because precipitation is so unpredictable here and if snow or ice is a possibility while I am out, well then I am stranded.
totally agree. I have never ridden when there was a chance of snow. Getting stuck in that would totally suck.
goddessofmath

Post by goddessofmath »

I forgot my science lessons a week or two ago and rode in heavy heavy fog. Not only did I feel totally invisible, I also arrived at work dripping wet! Fog is made of clouds made of moisture! How did I forget that? I can't imagine riding in it and it being that cold!