Stella License Plate Mounts

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mikeyb

Stella License Plate Mounts

Post by mikeyb »

I Just purchased my Creme Stella 4T and was wondering about the two different mounting holes for the rear license plate. I have included a picture that shows the back of the scoot with the plate mounted in the lower holes but there are two holes above that are spread further apart. I was wondering what these were for? Are there plugs or something that are used to cap these off?

Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
license.jpg
license.jpg (172.39 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Mulliganal

Re: Stella License Plate Mounts

Post by Mulliganal »

mikeyb wrote:I Just purchased my Creme Stella 4T and was wondering about the two different mounting holes for the rear license plate. I have included a picture that shows the back of the scoot with the plate mounted in the lower holes but there are two holes above that are spread further apart. I was wondering what these were for? Are there plugs or something that are used to cap these off?

Thanks,
Mike
Those are the holes for a rear rack I believe. I have the same Stella; ain't it sweeeeet!
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I would agree; holes for a rear rack. If you want to plug them you can go by a bike shop and get the platic lock in caps ( they make them black or chrome) for a few bucks.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugojcardo ... otostream/

Many European and Asian motorcycle plates are square, so the plate mounting holes on old Vespas, P-series and LML Stars are usually designed like the photo linked above. Looks like the US pressing (or at least drilling) is slightly different and there are no bottom holes, but those top ones look like they're where the plate holes would be on the Euro/Asian version.

Which doesn't really explain much… maybe they are for a rack (that would seem easy to prove if anyone has a rear rack) or maybe they use them on the assembly line to hold the frame?
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

My folding rear rack uses the middle set of holes.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

viney266 wrote:I would agree; holes for a rear rack. If you want to plug them you can go by a bike shop and get the platic lock in caps ( they make them black or chrome) for a few bucks.

My rear rack does NOT use those holes..
Infact, the rear rack bracket shares the same holes as the top of my plate,
I stuck those little red reflectors in those top holes..
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Perfect!... A little added visiblity isn't a bad thing either :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Spud

Bumping an old thread

Post by Spud »

Hey, hope its ok to post in a thread this old--I figured I may as well, rather than creating a new one, since my question is related.

My Stella has the six holes in back. The top and bottom rows have bolts screwed in them. The middle row hasn't got any. I plan on removing the bolts from the top row and putting them in the middle row, so my license plate will be securely held by the four bolts. The top two holes can remain open for now; maybe I'll use jimmbomb's idea and add reflectors sometime in the future.

Anyway, what size are the heads of these bolts? They seem like ten millimeter. I can't find my 10 mm ratchet head, but they seem to big for 9mm and too small for 11mm.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

you can try American size wrences if you got them... or go to the hardware store and buy allen head bolts. and carry the allen wrench with you in your tool kit.
just a thought.
If you find a wrench that is "close enough", then get u some nylon insert nuts and you wont have to tork them down super tight and strip the wrench head with your wrong wrench.
Just snug them up.. the nylon insert locking nuts wont come loose.
good luck.
ps.. a socket would probally be better with the wrong size... just go..s l o w..
J H
Spud

Post by Spud »

Thanks for the tip--although, I decided to just buy a 10mm (it was like $4 so no big loss--and I'll end up needing it someday again anyway).

Finally should be able to take the bike out for its maiden run tomorrow (3 weeks after purchase). It's been sitting with gas for 3 weeks (mostly due to the dealer's paperwork error which caused it to sit in his shop for a long time)...not sure if it'll need any seafoam? Probably not...3 weeks isn't all that bad, is it?
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Here is a twist: NY State bolt hole spacing is 1/2" different than every other US State. So here in NY, you can only use two of these holes, not all 4. I picked the top two...
Spud

Post by Spud »

slotrod65 wrote:Here is a twist: NY State bolt hole spacing is 1/2" different than every other US State. So here in NY, you can only use two of these holes, not all 4. I picked the top two...
I never would've guessed. Good to know, certainly.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Hey, buying a 10 mm was a good investment. That wrench will fit quite a few fasteners on your Stella...
BUT when it comes time to remove the spare or a wheel... You'll need a 13mm
good luck.... I recommend a socket set of metrics for your future.
J H
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

slotrod65 wrote:Here is a twist: NY State bolt hole spacing is 1/2" different than every other US State. So here in NY, you can only use two of these holes, not all 4. I picked the top two...
in MO, the plates are thin assed aluminum...only 2 bolts will cause eventual cracking from the vibrating..
Next thing you know a corner is busted off, or the whole top (or bottom) section..
Personally.. if mine didnt line up...
Id take a large drill bit and wobble out the 4 holes in the plate till you can get the bolts in..
Dont forget, flat washers to help hold it tight against newely wobbled out holes.
good luck
J H
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Spud wrote: It's been sitting with gas for 3 weeks (mostly due to the dealer's paperwork error which caused it to sit in his shop for a long time)...not sure if it'll need any seafoam? Probably not...3 weeks isn't all that bad, is it?
Nah you should be fine, Sides you'll go though that gas fast enough I'm sure :)