Brrr!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mrandmrslindholm

Brrr!

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

This was the first time I have taken my Buddy out when it was a bit colder. I went out earlier this evening when it was 56 degrees. Now I know I need to get some gloves soon! With the wind generated by riding, it is even a bit cold in CA.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

[in scolding voice] you should be wearing gloves anyway no matter what the temp- Hands are super delicate and need to be protected! Even one of my sweetest but most stylin' vain (shorts, sandals on scoot) friends said he always wears gloves since he met a women whose hands looks and function was permanently damaged when she sliced it open skidding on pavement low speed.

As it gets cooler our hands stiffen more quickly and it cold slow reaction time as well.
Mulliganal

Re: Brrr!

Post by Mulliganal »

mrandmrslindholm wrote:This was the first time I have taken my Buddy out when it was a bit colder. I went out earlier this evening when it was 56 degrees. Now I know I need to get some gloves soon! With the wind generated by riding, it is even a bit cold in CA.
:rofl: :rofl:
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
mrandmrslindholm

@peabody99-Yes, I know. We have been actively looking for a pair for me for a while now. This will cause my husband and I to intensify the search. Until I find a pair, I will be wearing his!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Mulliganal wrote:
mrandmrslindholm wrote:This was the first time I have taken my Buddy out when it was a bit colder. I went out earlier this evening when it was 56 degrees. Now I know I need to get some gloves soon! With the wind generated by riding, it is even a bit cold in CA.
Plus One! R
mrandmrslindholm

OK East Coasters-cold is relative when you live in CA!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

still shifting wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:
Plus One! R
the weather picked up some as the rally came to a close and we had some nice mid-50 F. It was nice and toasty outside :D
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yeah Cold is Relative and My Relatives are the Archtypes of cold! R
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

If you are fairly sure of your size, start checking mxmegastore, motorcyclesuperstore, and ebay. I just got a great pair of Scorpion gloves for 35, rather than the 50-something they retail for, and my mesh ones for summer for about the same. Mine are Scorpion Kat- they are pretty warm with a liner, untill I ride in a lot of wind- I'm adding a silk liner underneath. They seem to have a more perforated sister style called Cleo, that may be more suitable for CA winters?

I followed the sizing chart on the Scorpion website and the gloves are the slightest bit snug; if you have slim hands and fingers this won't be a problem for you, I have a wide wrist and don't fit most ladies gloves at all (impressed I fit these).

They are extremely sturdy feeling, with reinforced knuckles. I'm pretty impressed by them. My one and only gripe is that the wrist cuff is slim instead of wide and obviously made to go under a jacket cuff, not over, which I have found out that I don't prefer- but that's just a me thing, I think.

That's just what I went with... but my point is that if you research the sizing of the particular brands a little ( cust reviews on motorcyclesuperstore are pretty helpful, I find) and bargain shop online you can get a really nice pair for 30 or 40 instead of spending a whole bunch of dollars and being limited to the selection of your local dealer.

And don't listen to Lokky, he says it was toasty because it was clear blue, no wind and hit about 60 ;)
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

REI can be a good resource too; a lot of their "basic" snowboarding/outdoors gloves would suit most scooterists...

//45 this morning in Atlanta; 71 this afternoon. Carrying two sets of gloves is annoying!
Last edited by Uncle Groucho on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

viney266

Post by viney266 »

The nice thing is; with proper gear you can be warm , comfy and keep riding!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

still shifting wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:
Plus One! R
It's funny that this makes people laugh. We'll be laughing when it's 70° in SoCal and others are snowed in and can't ride. Like last week! :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:
still shifting wrote:
Mulliganal wrote: :rofl: :rofl:
Plus One! R
It's funny that this makes people laugh. We'll be laughing when it's 70° in SoCal and others are snowed in and can't ride. Like last week! :P
:evil:
ModBud #442
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

ericalm wrote:
still shifting wrote:
Plus One! R
Now, that was cold.
goddessofmath

Post by goddessofmath »

I've been riding in the 40s & 50s out here near Dallas, and my cheeks keep getting chapped! I wear a half helmet (looking for a full face), and my eyes water when it's cold. Instead of messing with it all, I just let the tears flow. Wet cheeks + wind = chapped cheeks! Brrrr!

I've been wearing lots of layers and leather glittens (glove/mitten cross), and I've been ok. That first cold morning that I only wore my leather jacket - WOW! - it took an hour to thaw! :roll:
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

still shifting wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:
Plus One! R
+2 I thought it was warm when I left my house this morning and it was 50 degrees outside :lol: I can see how it would "feel" cold to yall west coasters though :P
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

+1 on the gloves, I always wear them.
I have five different pair, two summer, one fall, and two winter. I also will slide on some leather over mittens (they kind of look like welders gloves). Just enough to keep wind directly off my hands.
My hands still get cold when riding in 30+ degree weather, but they make it more bearable.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

We went to Mickey's in the Argentine this weekend and tried on about 50 pairs of gloves. God, I love that store.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Mulliganal wrote:
Mulliganal in Altlanta- compared to my last home in Cleveland, Atlanta is a day at the beach! :lol: So, yes cold is relative. If I ever and I mean EVER complain about the weather in San Diego, I demand I be banned!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

peabody99 wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:
Mulliganal in Altlanta- compared to my last home in Cleveland, Atlanta is a day at the beach! :lol: So, yes cold is relative. If I ever and I mean EVER complain about the weather in San Diego, I demand I be banned!
I now live in Atlanta but I'm a born and raised New Yorker, New York City at that, so I also know a bit about cold weather too and wouldn't want to live in a cold state again for anything in the world (sorry northerners). I just think it's funny to see 56 as cold since even in Atlanta I can be found on the golf course at 56 and enjoying it, but than again I was raised in NY.

I wouldn't mind being close to the ocean again though, that was the nice part about living in NY.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
pampa9

Brrr!

Post by pampa9 »

I rode to work 3 days last week. One morning it was 34 degF. I wore long johns, lined leather jacket, scarf around my neck and insulated Winter gloves (bulky). The only problem I had was with my face shield fogging up. How does one stop the fogging??
Back on 2 wheels
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

pampa9 wrote:I rode to work 3 days last week. One morning it was 34 degF. I wore long johns, lined leather jacket, scarf around my neck and insulated Winter gloves (bulky). The only problem I had was with my face shield fogging up. How does one stop the fogging??
Funny (at least now it’s funny), but I remember back in the day while I lived in New York and drove a motorcycle, I was doing about 65-70 down the expressway and took a deep breath and when I exhaled my facemask fogged up. I quickly threw up the facemask so I could see where the hell I was going.

These days I think they have inserts that you put inside your shield that prevent fogging, at least I know HJC has something like that.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Mulliganal wrote:
I wouldn't mind being close to the ocean again though, that was the nice part about living in NY.
Ahhhh...... As a Long Island boy living in south central Pa I dearly miss riding my bicycle to the beach...
Whenever I go 'home' to visit, no matter what the weather I will always go for a walk on the beach. I have even had local cops stop me to ask what the heck I'm doing there!!

Today it got up to 60* damn straight I was riding!!

One can dress for the cold weather, when it's hot out, there's only so much one can take off.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Mulliganal wrote:
peabody99 wrote:
I now live in Atlanta but I'm a born and raised New Yorker, New York City at that, so I also know a bit about cold weather too and wouldn't want to live in a cold state again for anything in the world (sorry northerners). I just think it's funny to see 56 as cold since even in Atlanta I can be found on the golf course at 56 and enjoying it, but than again I was raised in NY.

...not nice enough. I'd rather be landlocked and live in a nice dry heat for most of the year! ..and I am STILL in NY!

Oh, and about fogging, I put my face shield up at stops, or up halfway/use my "inside" sunglass type visor in slow moving traffic to prevent fogging. I have yet to get any of that fancy anti-fogging spray on nonsense :P and I don't have a problem. Occasionally when I exhale through my mouth instead of my nose I get a little bit of fog, but it goes away in an instant (I blink, and the fog is gone).
Keep in mind here, I have a MODULAR FF, so I have a bit more wind coming in/up through my helmet than a traditional FF... that helps to keep the fog away, but makes my eyes water a bit more than my old regular FF, not THAT big of a deal though (I'm used to watery eyes from allergies anyway, just makes me blink more).
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

pampa9 wrote:I rode to work 3 days last week. One morning it was 34 degF. I wore long johns, lined leather jacket, scarf around my neck and insulated Winter gloves (bulky). The only problem I had was with my face shield fogging up. How does one stop the fogging??
Dish soap, on the inside of the visor. Thin layer, wipe off the excess, let it dry. You can use a wet towel and/or cleaner on it later, works for a couple of rides and cheaper than Cat Crap.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Here's the most recent thread about fogging: viewtopic.php?t=20216 Lots of different ways to deal with it.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

Its going to be 18 tomorrow morning for my trip to work! It was 28 this morning!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

To prevent fogging in glacier goggles back when I was a mountaineer, we would spit on the inside of the lens, rub it around with a finger and then dry it with a cloth. It worked great. I haven't tried it on a helmet yet but use an anti-fog spray that works quite well.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

mrandmrslindholm wrote:@peabody99-Yes, I know. We have been actively looking for a pair for me for a while now. This will cause my husband and I to intensify the search. Until I find a pair, I will be wearing his!
You can also look at bicycle stores if you haven't already.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

teabow1 wrote:
mrandmrslindholm wrote:@peabody99-Yes, I know. We have been actively looking for a pair for me for a while now. This will cause my husband and I to intensify the search. Until I find a pair, I will be wearing his!
You can also look at bicycle stores if you haven't already.
Correct me if I am wrong about any of this, because I don't bike and I very well could be, but this would be my worry about bicycling gloves: you can only go but so fast while on a bicycle. If you hit the pavement at speeds exceeding that of a bicycle wearing bicycle gloves, will the gloves hold up? Do they have armoring? Windproof at speeds exceeding that of a bike? How about waterproofing?

I initially was looking at snowmobiling gloves- they seemed to give superior cold and wind protection- but they only prepare you for impacts with snow and very few of them have more than a leather palm, if that much. But after taking the spill I did, breaking my finger, and learning how imposing road rash really is, I decided to go with gloves definitely made for motorcycles and scooters- armored knuckles and leathered palms and everything.

I'm not trying to bring up the Great Gear Debate, but just know exactly how the gloves you have/are buying are going to protect you (or aren't) before you are put in a situation! Educated buyers are the best buyers.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Good motorcycle gloves will offer you better protection than those made for other activities. Lightweight motorcycle gloves won't.

There are some gloves for cycling, boarding, work gloves, etc. that are probably as good as my lightest pair of riding gloves and probably as good as some medium weight ones. But I don't wear those for serious riding. In fact, I rarely wear them at all. most of the lightweight motorcycle gloves I've owned from the same companies that make heavier ones have fallen apart over time.

So, think about the features that are important to you.

In general, I want: Sturdy, abrasion-resistant material, preferably leather or textile with kevlar. Double stitching all around. Padding and extra protection on the palms. Armor or extra protection for knuckles. Extra protection for fingers. Reinforcement between thumb and forefinger. And, though this is rare, reflective details.

Very few gloves offer all of these things. The two pairs I have that do are both big and heavy, for cool weather. I will wear them in summer on long hauls or for fast riding. Otherwise, I compromise with mid-weight gloves.

I've yet to be satisfied with a lighter/mid-weight glove. But honestly, I've bought a bunch of cheap crap and probably need to just spend $100+ for something better.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

heatherkay wrote:We went to Mickey's in the Argentine this weekend and tried on about 50 pairs of gloves. God, I love that store.
That's where I bought the over gloves (for about $5).
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

ericalm wrote:In general, I want: Sturdy, abrasion-resistant material, preferably leather or textile with kevlar. Double stitching all around. Padding and extra protection on the palms. Armor or extra protection for knuckles. Extra protection for fingers. Reinforcement between thumb and forefinger. And, though this is rare, reflective details.
I hate to say this but... Harley Davidson. My warmer gloves are sturdy, made out of the same stuff as my jacket, have padded leather palms with leather that extends up the length of the fingers, double stitching around all of the leather bits, (thin) armor for knuckles, an extra chunk of leather between the thumb and forefinger and LOTS of reflective stuff. They were about $50 (including tax).
Of course, mine are womens' so I have no idea what they have for dudes, but I'm sure if they make it for the ladies, they probably make it for men too!

...now I have to find some nice mesh ones for the warmer months.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AWinn6889 wrote:
ericalm wrote:In general, I want: Sturdy, abrasion-resistant material, preferably leather or textile with kevlar. Double stitching all around. Padding and extra protection on the palms. Armor or extra protection for knuckles. Extra protection for fingers. Reinforcement between thumb and forefinger. And, though this is rare, reflective details.
I hate to say this but... Harley Davidson. My warmer gloves are sturdy, made out of the same stuff as my jacket, have padded leather palms with leather that extends up the length of the fingers, double stitching around all of the leather bits, (thin) armor for knuckles, an extra chunk of leather between the thumb and forefinger and LOTS of reflective stuff. They were about $50 (including tax).
Of course, mine are womens' so I have no idea what they have for dudes, but I'm sure if they make it for the ladies, they probably make it for men too!
But… but… I just can't—and I know it's unreasonable and all based on personal bias or whatever—I just can't buy something with a Harley logo on it!

The two pairs of gloves that meet all my requirements are a pair of Belstaffs and a pair of Hein Gerickes. Both discontinued models. The Belstaffs are my fave gloves ever, but I need the Velcro replaced.

For summer, I'll probably wind up two pairs: a short glove, something like the Corazzo Enzo or maybe some street bike gloves, and a textile/leather gauntlet. Or I'll just keep buying cheap gloves and hating on them.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

ericalm wrote: But… but… I just can't—and I know it's unreasonable and all based on personal bias or whatever—I just can't buy something with a Harley logo on it!
...it's only a little itty bitty logo... and it's hidden under my jacket sleeves :wink:
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Uncle Groucho wrote:... Carrying two sets of gloves is annoying!
+1
but from different temps... :wink:
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

ericalm wrote: It's funny that this makes people laugh. We'll be laughing when it's 70° in SoCal and others are snowed in and can't ride. Like last week! :P
Laugh if you will, but it's always earthquake season in California :P
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rippinyarn wrote:
ericalm wrote: It's funny that this makes people laugh. We'll be laughing when it's 70° in SoCal and others are snowed in and can't ride. Like last week! :P
Laugh if you will, but it's always earthquake season in California :P
Interestingly, far more people die from hurricanes, tornadoes, cold and heat in other states than die from earthquakes, fires and mudslides in CA. In terms of natural disasters, CA is actually one of the safest places to live.

Until the Big One, of course.
Abbott

Post by Abbott »

Do you guys reckon it's safe to wear mittens over my gloves? As a knitter I have a ton of wooly gear and some of my faves are my elbow-length fatty wool mittens, which would really close out the cold air gap I'm getting if worn over my leather gloves but under my jacket sleeves. The only thing I can see it impeding is giving the beloved two-finger wave to other two-wheel peeps but I have still been nervous about it.
foxerboy

Post by foxerboy »

Just make sure you can still get a firm grip on the brake levers while wearing the mittens. My wife's a knitter, and I personally think there would be too much slippage if I used one of her creations while on the scoot.
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

Only one way to find out! If it's too slippery, you can get grippy tape from a hardware store.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:Until the Big One, of course.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I18DMyTFJo0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kevin Arnold's dad and Ben Seaver's mom make a great pair in this cheesy made for TV movie.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

LunaP wrote:Correct me if I am wrong about any of this, because I don't bike and I very well could be, but this would be my worry about bicycling gloves: you can only go but so fast while on a bicycle. If you hit the pavement at speeds exceeding that of a bicycle wearing bicycle gloves, will the gloves hold up? Do they have armoring? Windproof at speeds exceeding that of a bike? How about waterproofing?
You're right to a certain extent, I'd think. Don't forget though that professional road cyclists ride at about 35mph on flats for extended periods so we shouldn't assume that bikes are necessarily slow. On down hill sections professional road cyclists go in excess of 60mph. It's usually the engine that powers the bicycle (the human body!) that determines the speed. ;-) Well, it always does. :)

My point is that probably for a 50cc scooter, bicycle clothing for many (if not all) parts would work well. For bicyclists, there are waterproof gear but one thing that scooterists and motorcyclists don't have to contend with that bicyclists do is the human body's generation of excess heat when pedalling. This means that sometimes when we waterproof ourselves excessively, we end up with a sweaty body/clothing not from the rain but from the sweat accumulation!

Anyhow, it wouldn't be a bad idea for the OP to check out bicycle stores and outdoor activities stores like REI for gloves and other winter clothing. In another thread, someone was trying to find out where to get balaclava. Bicycle store is a good start. I think my other point is that scooterists probably shouldn't limit their search to just motorcycle and scooter stores for their accessories but expand to include bicycle stores too.

I know that in the U.S., it's unfortunate that we have the idea that bicycles are just leisure TOYS, and usually nothing more than for children and casual exercise. But bicycles can be serious equipment! Unfortunately too, the permeation of "bicycles are not serious transportation" does affect bicycle stores. For instance, I have never encountered a bicycle store where I can book an appointment to send my bicycle in for a maintenance tune-up in order to get it back the same day. You send in the bike whenever and the best the store can do is give you an estimate of "a couple of days" to "some time next week" and so you're left stranded without your two-wheel.
TVB

Post by TVB »

teabow1 wrote:I know that in the U.S., it's unfortunate that we have the idea that bicycles are just leisure TOYS, and usually nothing more than for children and casual exercise. But bicycles can be serious equipment! Unfortunately too, the permeation of "bicycles are not serious transportation" does affect bicycle stores. For instance, I have never encountered a bicycle store where I can book an appointment to send my bicycle in for a maintenance tune-up in order to get it back the same day. You send in the bike whenever and the best the store can do is give you an estimate of "a couple of days" to "some time next week" and so you're left stranded without your two-wheel.
Sadly, the same is often true of scooter and motorcycle shops.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

[quote="teabow1It's usually the engine that powers the bicycle (the human body!) that determines the speed. ;-) Well, it always does. [/quote]

The engine + plus gravity + tail wind. I've certainly seen some pretty gnarly wrecks in bicycle races. If bicycle equipment has less abrasion resistance than motorcycle equipment, it's only because they are trying to reduce weight, not because they couldn't use the protection.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

heatherkay wrote:The engine + plus gravity + tail wind. I've certainly seen some pretty gnarly wrecks in bicycle races. If bicycle equipment has less abrasion resistance than motorcycle equipment, it's only because they are trying to reduce weight, not because they couldn't use the protection.
Yeah :) I've seen in bicycle communities where everyday Joes and Janes go goo-goo-gah-gah over equipment that weighs oh 1 or 2 grammes less. All the time I'm thinking, the most weight most of us could lose probably is from dieting, not futzing about the equipment weight ;-)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

A bicycle crash at 35mph (or whatever) isn't the same as as a scooter or motorcycle crash at that speed. I've actually discussed this with physicists and engineers after so many discussions on scooter forums. Crash dynamics are very complicated, but the gist is that the huge mass of a scooter or MC versus a bike can result in a lot more physical damage to the rider than that of a bicycle, either on impact or in a slide.

If you're thrown clear of the vehicle, the force of impact and potential damaged comes down to how you stop. You're much more likely to go down and slide. It's going to take more friction or force of impact to stop you and the scooter than you and a bicycle.

I don't have a glove image to illustrate, but I do have boots!
These are my very heavy leather boots after a slow speed scooter tumble. That kind of abrasion would have probably ground through even my lighter weight motorcycle gloves. I slid in sand, rear wheel went up a small embankment, and I got tipped off the side, with the scooter on top of my feet. And that's how it ground to a stop.

That exact situation is less likely to happen to your hands, but the point is that regardless of speed, a scooter or motorcycle is not a bicycle and that crashes have a lot more potential for injury.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

And, although bicyclists can go 30+ mph, how many do that for a sustained amount of time? I'll bet 99% of bicyclists never even approach 20 mph let alone 30+. When you're on a scooter, chances are you're doing 30+ the majority of the time. Take it from someone who has been riding for 40 years and has taken a tumble or two (no more than that, honest!), asphalt can do nasty things to everything, not just skin, muscle and bone. Personally, I'd want the most padding I can stand on the palm of my glove. Also, keep in mind that most good motorcycle gloves are designed to not fly off easily in a crash. You would be surprised at how many things go flying in a crash. Think Charlie Brown...:)

Anyway, guess we should get back on topic, eh?

Sunny today, around the mid 60's. :P
Too bad my scooter is still broken... :(
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

I don't disagree that at some level that bicycle gear doesn't offer the same kind of protection. But, it's not to ignore bicycle stores entirely, especially when you're talking about things like extra layer of gloves for warmth and balaclava (not this post but on another forum).

I've done my share of asphalt plants too, including three front rim bends etc.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

teabow1 wrote:I don't disagree that at some level that bicycle gear doesn't offer the same kind of protection. But, it's not to ignore bicycle stores entirely, especially when you're talking about things like extra layer of gloves for warmth and balaclava (not this post but on another forum).

I've done my share of asphalt plants too, including three front rim bends etc.
I definitely agree with you about searching places you may not normally think to look for scooter gear- especially if it means saving money (one can easily get charged a premium for things because the gear is specific). But there's always something to consider before buying- like with the balaclavas, one of the things mentioned was that scooter/motorcycle/snowmobile specific balaclavas were made to help prevent fogging and also had seams that wouldn't bother you under your helmet as much, which a running or bicycling balaclava or mask (or a plain old scarf, goodness knows I wish that worked) may not.

But you better believe my long johns are from Target, end of season clearance even!! If they don't cut it, I'll be headed to Dick's for some underarmor.