LML (Stella) at EICMA

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ericalm wrote:Needs a few more mods, but it can be done…
I see him plunging into the sand, but how far did he actually get? :lol:

I've managed to get my Stella bogged down in my steep gravel driveway in a spot where the gravel was kinda deep.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

The problem with scooters is the small wheels. But that kind of sand would be bad for anything that didn't have big, wide floaty tires.

My first bike:http://www.twistdmetal.com/projects/mini_trail.htm

Not actually mine, but just exactly like it. A small 50cc motorcycle, geared like a tractor. Was good for maybe 30 mph back when I weighed about 150 pounds. The tires aren't huge but are indeed wide. It took me through stuff that you wouldn't believe.

Still, I wouldn't have any objection to taking a scooter down any dirt or gravel road, cow trail, fire lane road, or whatever. As long as the surface is solid enough that the wheels don't sink, it'll go.

After all, the very first scooter design was made to air drop with paratroopers.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Southerner wrote:<snip> After all, the very first scooter design was made to air drop with paratroopers.
You mean these?:

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I like a lot of these Star/Stella designs. I adore the two-tone one, even the orange.

Although I can understand why a lot of people are hesitant or feel the shifties are threatened by Stellas getting a CVT model... I feel like it would have a decent/thriving US market. Genuine would then, as I believe our wonderful leader Eric pointed out already, have a stiffer competition with Vespa- vintage-trendy style, twisty for those who prefer not to shift, but more affordable than Vespas.

And good lord, if they sold that pink one with the white stars, I'd go crazy. I'm sorry. I think it's just about the cutest damn thing I've ever seen, and I think I remember swearing I'd never buy a Stella after one of Lokky's Stella's temper tantrums.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Southerner wrote:After all, the very first scooter design was made to air drop with paratroopers.
I actually met a WWII vet when I was leaving work yesterday that told me about these (the ones above). He used one. He also rode a military edition Vespa.. and when he came home, couldn't afford a Vespa, so he bought a Cushman!
Amazing the people you meet in the scooter community!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:
All the way across Egypt! There were 2 Italians running the cross-Egypt rally on PX200s. They list all their mods on their site; pretty cool!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I would love a welbike for the collection. One of my dream finds, that and a Kettenhrad and I'm happy :lol:
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

viney266 wrote:I would love a welbike for the collection. One of my dream finds, that and a Kettenhrad and I'm happy :lol:
Lots 'o pics and info here: http://www.welbike.net/Welbike%20Parascooter.html

Replica using a Honda engine: http://home.earthlink.net/~flyboyken/id16.html
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:
All the way across Egypt! There were 2 Italians running the cross-Egypt rally on PX200s. They list all their mods on their site; pretty cool!
What more proof do you need? Dualsport scooters officially exist!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

viney266 wrote:I would love a welbike for the collection. One of my dream finds, that and a Kettenhrad and I'm happy :lol:
I don't know if you're serious about that last but I have indeed seen them for sale in Shotgun News.
Norm

Post by Norm »

The CVT automatic is based on the PK "small frame" design, which was previously marketed by LML as the "Sensation" in Asian markets.

According to Italian press reports from the show, the new model will be available on the European market in 4-stroke 50cc (4-valve) and 125cc (2-valve) versions.

There are no plans for an automatic PX-based Star (AKA Stella), just the existing 125/150cc 2T and 125/150/200cc 4T (although all the 4T models are moving towards EFI).
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:Image
neotrotsky wrote:... I can't see a clutch lever from this angle...
I don't know if you need to. no foot brake means probably 2 hand levers for 2 brakes.
I could be wrong.
speculation is fun!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Norm

Post by Norm »

Nothing to speculate about, it's a TNG ;)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Norm wrote:.................There are no plans for an automatic PX-based Star (AKA Stella), just the existing 125/150cc 2T and 125/150/200cc 4T (although all the 4T models are moving towards EFI).
Well, poo! I wonder if there would be a performance deficit to speak of between a 125 CVT PK and your current 4T Stella?
Witch

Post by Witch »

Lovelandstella wrote:no foot brake means probably 2 hand levers for 2 brakes.
I could be wrong.
speculation is fun!
Kind of a shame there can't be a happy medium. I had an old beater Yamaha Riva 180 for a little while. It was fully automatic, but with no lever at all on the left handlebar. Had a rear foot brake on the right side of the floorboard. I got used to it after about a half a mile. Totally loved that setup.

Of course, having a broken left arm at the time may have had something to do with how much I appreciated it. ;)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

The question is will any of these bikes ever come to the US?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:
Norm wrote:.................There are no plans for an automatic PX-based Star (AKA Stella), just the existing 125/150cc 2T and 125/150/200cc 4T (although all the 4T models are moving towards EFI).
Well, poo! I wonder if there would be a performance deficit to speak of between a 125 CVT PK and your current 4T Stella?
Most bikes offered as 125s overseas come to the US as 150s.

An injected, 150cc with CVT should perform as well or better than the 150 4T Stella shifter.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Southerner wrote:
I don't know if you're serious about that last but I have indeed seen them for sale in Shotgun News.
sorry for off topic, but

^^^ At this time cash is short due to another car purchase, but yes I am serious about a Kettenkrad...Tried to buy one out of shotgun news in fact about 5 or 6 years ago. I was too late. Have you seen one recently? I don't look in there like I used to.PM me a link if you have one. Thanks. I guess I will start looking again.

....Back to LML...
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ericalm wrote:
An injected, 150cc with CVT should perform as well or better than the 150 4T Stella shifter.
... unless you include fuel economy as a performance measure. :wink:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:
ericalm wrote:
... unless you include fuel economy as a performance measure. :wink:
True, but there should be some modest gains in MPGs from injection. Don't know if it'll match the Stella shifter, but it should still be pretty good!
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Lovelandstella wrote:
ericalm wrote:Image
neotrotsky wrote:... I can't see a clutch lever from this angle...
I don't know if you need to. no foot brake means probably 2 hand levers for 2 brakes.
I could be wrong.
speculation is fun!
It's an auto.
The cowels are completely different from the shifter Stellas - they are fixed with what looks to be a removable panel.
Plus the spare wheel is on the right side.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
Southerner wrote:
Most bikes offered as 125s overseas come to the US as 150s.

That's good to know. Surely, Genuine will try to get these. It's just too good of an idea to ignore!
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

AWinn6889 wrote:
Southerner wrote:After all, the very first scooter design was made to air drop with paratroopers.
I actually met a WWII vet when I was leaving work yesterday that told me about these (the ones above). He used one. He also rode a military edition Vespa.. and when he came home, couldn't afford a Vespa, so he bought a Cushman!
Amazing the people you meet in the scooter community!
Thats really cool!
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ericalm wrote:Okeh, so it's not quite the classic P/PX style. The PK is probably the most '80s of the Vespas (tied with T5?) and not exactly the most highly regarded in terms of looks. But the people mostly likely to buy this won't care.
That's an understatement. And I happen to be one of "the people" most likely to buy this, next to a manual Stella... but I care. It's just... *shudder*... ick. I'd rather take a manual Stella, add an auto-clutch and an electric shifter, eliminate the hand-clutch/twist-shift, move the rear brake to the left grip, and have a nice, smooth floor. When I want to change gears, modulate the throttle, then either flick the left-hand thumb-switch up to upshift or down to downshift... BOOM! a neat customized scoot. Only thing that would hurt is my wallet.

Oh, what some people do for style......... :roll:
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:
viney266 wrote:I can see that a few folks would want a CVT stella. But Genuine has a very good CVT line-up, with the stella being the sole "shifty"...If I were running that business I would see no reason to bring in the cvt stella... sorry guys
:P
Is "it's a good scooter and we'll sell a shitload of them to people who'd buy Vespas otherwise" not a reason?
I think I found the wifes next scooter. She has been asking me about a Stella or something along the likes of an LX150. A shifty is not the most feasible for us being where we live, so we've kind of stalled the issue. She has become more envious of the Stella after this past weekend in Richmond and was asking more and more. No kidding, she even said she wishes the Stella was CVT automatic. Then she posts me a link about this on facebook a few days ago before I read this post on MB!

The Buddy has grown well on me, but I think she's not a big fan of the style. We'll have to wait and see when they come to the US.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I do have to say that the flat-sided covers don't look as good to me as the more rounded ones on the Stella, not that it's a dealbreaker by any means. The Barbie colors definitely are.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

Of course, I'd scrap the whitewalls and the white seat in favor of black, but yeah. GIVE THIS TO ME NOW!!! Looks like I'm gonna have to start yet another savings fund. :D
ModBud #442
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

polianarchy wrote:GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

Of course, I'd scrap the whitewalls and the white seat in favor of black, but yeah. GIVE THIS TO ME NOW!!! Looks like I'm gonna have to start yet another savings fund. :D
I was thinking the same thing!
...I wonder if they'll make it in a nice fuchsia too... hmmm...
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

But of course, this is the proper place for it.

And there's that sidecar, like we were talking about in the Ural thread.

I do like the headlight.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
I think I found the wifes next scooter. She has been asking me about a Stella or something along the likes of an LX150. A shifty is not the most feasible for us being where we live, so we've kind of stalled the issue. She has become more envious of the Stella after this past weekend in Richmond and was asking more and more. No kidding, she even said she wishes the Stella was CVT automatic. Then she posts me a link about this on facebook a few days ago before I read this post on MB!
^^^ And see?, that is why I don't work in marketing! :roll: LOL
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

Are you kidding me? That Orange Matte in a 200cc 4T they were talking about in the past few months -- I want that in my mouth (wait..what?)