WINTER RIDING

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pocphil
Dealer

WINTER RIDING

Post by pocphil »

My wife and I both ride well into the winter. Our rule is "No Snow - We Go".

Top to bottom here's the set up:

Helmet - Full Face - Get yourself a FogCity anti fog device, or keep your visor open 1/4". There are more "anti-fog coatings" than you can shake a stick at.

Neck - We carry a very nice neckwarmer at the shop called a Shampa at $10 it's a must have - If you're cheap and resourceful just chop the thigh out of an old pair of sweatpants. You can use that as a neckwarmer and as an impromptu hat when you take your helmet off.

Jacket - The cheap way to go is to wear a Hoodie under your normal jacket - this is good for down to about 40° if you're going to be out for less than an hour or so. If you're going to be out longer I recommend

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... d=45&cat=3

This is a great womens jacket that we carry at the shop. Not only is it completely waterproof, but it has a really warm removable liner and armor in all the right places. There are very few jackets that protect this well that you can get for only $129. For men I recommend the Tourmaster Transition jacket, we stock it for $149 and I've never owned a better 3 season (everything but summer) jacket. Waterproof as hell and a liner that can't be beat.

Gloves - This is an important one, I don't care how warm your torso is, it's tough to keep your hands warm, especially if it's wet. My secret weapon is

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/naviga ... tem=347999

These pocket hand warmers should be opened up and allowed to ventilate for about 5 minutes before you put them in the tops of your gloves (not on the palm side). These will keep your hands TOASTY. Also good for your boots. We also stock

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product ... at=0&page=

These are called Tourmaster Cold Front Gloves $59 for extreme cold weather riders we also stock the Winter Elite Gloves $99 which are also excellent for endurance sub-zero activities like snowboarding etc.

Pants - If you are planning on riding to work daily and just want a pair of over-pants you can't go wrong with any of the lightweight snowboarding / ski pants.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=34636

For a does-it-all pant I recommend the Fleece or Flannel Lined jeans from the Sportsmans Guide:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=366830

You may want to opt for the mens flannel lined pants / fleece lined pants as they have double knees and a cell-phone pocket that is very handy.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=302603

The double knees will keep the cold wind out and actually do protect you quite nicely in a spill.

Boots - Same rules as summer, over the ankle if possible, good construction, thicker socks, use a pocket hand warmer pack if you've got really cold tootsies.

Windshields - This is the time of year when it's nice to have a big 'ol windshield. I am still STRONGLY cautioning people about getting more windshield than you can handle. The Buddy has a VERY light front end and too big of a windshield can be like trying to ride your bicycle with a sheet of plywood on the handlbars.

Salt and corrosion - It's a very good idea to give your bike a good spray-down every once and a while to blast the road salt off the undercarriage. If you have a do-it-yourself car wash near your home it may be worth occasionally going in and giving it a good blast underneath. Make sure you let the bike cool down for about 5 minutes before spraying cold water on it. Finish with the wax setting to provide a protective barrier against salt etc.

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES WAY MORE OFTEN - You may want to run a slightly lower pressure in the winter for a 180 lb. rider you can safely drop to 26 psi in the back and 18-20 psi in the front. This lower pressure will allow a little more flexibility in your tire which will in turn keep it a bit warmer. But, running the lower pressures, you won't have as far to go before a dangerous situation can present itself so you must check your pressures more frequently.

Ride a little slower and more cautiously. Dark spots can be icy. If you come accross a snow patch you are better off to just maintain speed and coast straight through it. No sudden actions on snow, and even crawling accross sheet ice with your feet down can be a challenge. Practice in a parking lot before going out on the street. Even on the nicest days after the plow trucks have done their job, you will still run into snow in certain parking lots etc. Be careful.

Phil Waters
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Ave. Lakewood, Ohio
216-227-1964
www.clevelandscooters.com
Attachments
snowday.jpg
snowday.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Excellent tips. I'll add one that helps prevent corrosion: Pam cooking spray. Several of us (who ride in the winter) coat our engines (it's high temp) and metal bits with the stuff.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
magpiash

Post by magpiash »

www.schampa.com

lots of interesting stuff for winter here
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

What the heck are you guys talking about? It's not even cool enough here to go from the mesh to the Corrazo shop jacket !

NotDavid
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

BuddyRaton wrote:What the heck are you guys talking about? It's not even cool enough here to go from the mesh to the Corrazo shop jacket !

NotDavid
ok I would be jealous, 'cept I lived in FL for 13 years and know you must be baking as many months as we freeze :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanks for the great post, Phil.

Some members have asked about prepping their scoots for winter storage (my condolences!). Anyone have any tips?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Winter storage? Prep for winter riding! Buddys run fine in cold weather, at least mine did down as cold as it got here last winter (around 14F I think).

Phil has provided an excellent list of gear to do it.

This year I am going to add the snow pants (cheap and easily worth it), and maybe a short windshield (not as cheap, worth it I don't know).
Kevin
AYPWIP?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lobsterman wrote:Winter storage? Prep for winter riding! Buddys run fine in cold weather, at least mine did down as cold as it got here last winter (around 14F I think).

Phil has provided an excellent list of gear to do it.

This year I am going to add the snow pants (cheap and easily worth it), and maybe a short windshield (not as cheap, worth it I don't know).
Well, I'm not concerned about making it through the harsh and foreboding SoCal winter. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

Yea, but some of us don't have that option. I got caught in near white-out conditions on Monday in the first snowstorm of the year in Wyoming.

But then, I have seen snow in July near that same spot. Got to love living in the mountains.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

ericalm wrote:Well, I'm not concerned about making it through the harsh and foreboding SoCal winter. :)
Sarcastic warm climate comments not allowed! :x :wink:
Keys

Post by Keys »

[/quote]
Sarcastic warm climate comments not allowed! :x :wink:[/quote]

Dang! And I haven't even started, yet...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
rsenal9

Winter Riding

Post by rsenal9 »

Thank you Phil for the tips on winter riding. Although I am not sure I will be riding that much in the winter here in StL, I did venture out on Dolcegita when it was in the 50's to try out the new short windshield I installed. I cant believe the difference it made to cut down the wind. My gloves weren't quite warm enough for 40 degree climes, but I appreciate the many points you made, especially for newbies like me. I wore an armoured Corazzo jacket and that was warm enough, but still debating the appropriate pants. My next consideration is rain gear just in case. I really appreciate this forum. Thanks.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Keys wrote:
Sarcastic warm climate comments not allowed! :x :wink:[/quote]

Dang! And I haven't even started, yet...

--Keys 8)[/quote]

Oh we get special dispensation for putting up with things like a 1,700 mile trip in temps of 102. Here we call it our winter gloat! Whats all that white stuff on that scoot Phil? Scootdruff?

NotDavid
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Thanks for posting on the winter clothing--I appreciate it.

Are the flannel jeans warm enough in 50 degree weather?
I'm wondering if the wind will go right through the jean fabric.

Thanks.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ryder1 wrote:Are the flannel jeans warm enough in 50 degree weather?
I'm wondering if the wind will go right through the jean fabric.
All kidding aside, I have ridden in 50 and lower temps. Really, how much wind do you get on your legs while riding in any weather? You're right, though, that even multiple layers of cotton fabric won't keep out wind. (Add wool and any type of knit/woven to that.) You could go with nylon overpants, but unless it's also wet outside I'd think the legshield would do enough to keep wind off your legs while in motion.

I've got some wool German military fatigues that have a heavy nylon (or some synthetic) layer between the exterior and the flannel lining. They really do the trick in cold and wind though they smell awful if they get wet, weigh about 10 pounds and are horribly uncomfortable indoors and out of the cold. ;)
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

I have a pair of jogging pants with light weight (like thinsulate) lining that I wear over my regular jeans to keep the wind off. But there isn't enough warmth. I'm thinking with the flannel jeans underneath that will solve the problem.

There is quite a bit of wind while riding but possibly it feels colder when riding in 50 degree temps rather than 70+degrees weather.
petunia

Post by petunia »

As Eric said, keeping the wind off is key to keeping warm. I have a lined Carhart jacket which I thought would be plenty warm in the cooler temps but the wind goes right through it. When I put a rain/nylon shell type jacket over my Carhart, it made a world of difference. Likewise, when I'm riding to work with my dress pants and Corazzo lap apron which is windproof, I keep quite warm.