Regis bites it

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Quo Vadimus

Regis bites it

Post by Quo Vadimus »

In a wonderful display of how scooters are just toys, Letterman gave Regis a scooter as a going-away gift. After assuring the audience Regis has never ridden any powered two-wheeled vehicle before, put him on it with no gear save an unstrapped helmet, and told him to scoot away down the block for the cameras.

Regis makes it maybe 15 yards before dumping...

(Scooter action starts around 2:17)

(End of the show saw take 2, where Regis rides pillion with Dave, Regis having replaced his stylish red helmet with a bicycle helmet :roll:

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

lol you would think someone with some common riding knowledge would discourage an 80 year old with no riding experience against this. and maybe they did, but who knows? Dave should know better

"here is a retirement gift, regis. just to get a jump on that inevitable broken hip!"

this actually could have ended pretty bad for 'ol regis. looks like he was just a hair away from a busted knee by the way he came off that thing
Riding is riding
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

That was pathetic. WTF. Who cant ride for 10 yards? Puhleeze. Perhaps his concentration was on the camera and TV show and not on what he was doing? Well, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dave says, as they are riding away, "Take your hand off my ass, Regis"

Never watched Regis and Kelly Lee, but you can tell that Dave honestly likes Regis.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
viney266

Post by viney266 »

It was all the scooters fault... Geez, you all know it :roll:
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:That was pathetic. WTF. Who cant ride for 10 yards?
skootz, i know you know better then that lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBXgZ9HWF5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

happens all the time :lol:
Riding is riding
Jenetic

Post by Jenetic »

Hey Reg,

Since you clearly won't be riding that thing, can I have it? Dave won't mind.

Thanks!

:P
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

*scours NYC Craigslist*
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

jeez, my mom made it further than that on her first ride ever . . . and didn't dump it! come on, Regis!
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Yeah, that was a bad idea all the way around. I saw Regis's life pass before my eyes!

Gotta love Regis. I'll miss the ol' codger.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I like how his right mirror isn't even bolted in properly...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

80 year old talk show hosts, dat's who.

Proves that not everyone can just get on a twist and go and twist and go (more than a couple yards)!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:WTF. Who cant ride for 10 yards?
80 year old talk show hosts, dat's who.
Totally wishing I had the skillz and software to do a "Who Dat Can't Ride a Scooter?" gif loop.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Domers!

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Regis, always 'hamming' it up for a laugh......
Looks to me like he dumped it intentionally!
"I'm alright!!" as he pulls off his unsecured helmet!
Actions like this prove that people don't take scooters seriously, especially with the 'following' Regis has.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

illnoise wrote:
Domers!

Bb
Watch it Bobcat Boy! :lol:
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

There is something interesting I saw on a European scooter touring website (not Edelweiss, there is another one). They claimed that anyone who has not learned how to ride before age 50 will not be able to learn. The touring agency actually asked that folks over 50 who never rode previously do not sign up for their scooter tour.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Jenetic

Post by Jenetic »

Stormswift wrote:There is something interesting I saw on a European scooter touring website (not Edelweiss, there is another one). They claimed that anyone who has not learned how to ride before age 50 will not be able to learn. The touring agency actually asked that folks over 50 who never rode previously do not sign up for their scooter tour.
Whoa! I'm well under 50 but what a crock!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stormswift wrote:There is something interesting I saw on a European scooter touring website (not Edelweiss, there is another one). They claimed that anyone who has not learned how to ride before age 50 will not be able to learn. The touring agency actually asked that folks over 50 who never rode previously do not sign up for their scooter tour.
I remember reading that on that site, too. It was one of the touring Italy sites. I don't think that's exactly what they said, but it was pretty much the gist. They don't require MC licenses or riding experience for people on their tours so strongly dissuade anyone with no experience over age 50 from doing it. Something tells me that if they're turning away business, it's based on experience. Doesn't mean it's true, but there may have been a couple "incidents."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:
I remember reading that on that site, too. It was one of the touring Italy sites. I don't think that's exactly what they said, but it was pretty much the gist. They don't require MC licenses or riding experience for people on their tours so strongly dissuade anyone with no experience over age 50 from doing it. Something tells me that if they're turning away business, it's based on experience. Doesn't mean it's true, but there may have been a couple "incidents."

Based on... every person I know over 50 that doesn't already know how to ride 2 wheels... I'd have to partially or mostly agree with this policy of theirs. The only person I can think of who may stand aside from this is my coworker on the Ruckus; however, in most aspects of his life, Paul is the exception, not the rule. (I also can't verify that he didn't ride on two wheels at any point before 50).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Correction: International drivers licences are required for Italy tours. Looking for the one with this poilcy…

I was planning an Italy trip until this damn economy put me in a hole!
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

JHScoot wrote:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zBXgZ9HWF5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why is she putting on the helmet without buckling it? That's almost as useless as not wearing one!
teabow1

Re: Regis bites it

Post by teabow1 »

Quo Vadimus wrote:In a wonderful display of how scooters are just toys, Letterman gave Regis a scooter as a going-away gift. After assuring the audience Regis has never ridden any powered two-wheeled vehicle before, put him on it with no gear save an unstrapped helmet, and told him to scoot away down the block for the cameras.

In both this video and the one with the reporter crashing, it seems like the fundamental mistake both make is giving too much throttle at once. Both don't realise, it seems, that just a little bit will start the scooter going well on its way. Perhaps that's also the same mistake that most beginning car drivers makes with the gas pedal, especially on a stick shift: pressing the gas pedal down too much.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

ericalm wrote:Correction: International drivers licences are required for Italy tours. Looking for the one with this poilcy…

I was planning an Italy trip until this damn economy put me in a hole!
An International driver licence isn't hard to get at all if you already have a U.S. driver licence. I got one before I went off to do research in another country for two years. It's only a matter of actually paying a fee. That's it. No tests, nothing. Basically what it is, is a document that certifies that so-and-so country's licence can be used in such-and-such country. It wasn't expensive to get it either, as I remember.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I feel like it was less than $20 at AAA before we went to Spain last summer
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

teabow1 wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:In a wonderful display of how scooters are just toys, Letterman gave Regis a scooter as a going-away gift. After assuring the audience Regis has never ridden any powered two-wheeled vehicle before, put him on it with no gear save an unstrapped helmet, and told him to scoot away down the block for the cameras.

In both this video and the one with the reporter crashing, it seems like the fundamental mistake both make is giving too much throttle at once. Both don't realise, it seems, that just a little bit will start the scooter going well on its way. Perhaps that's also the same mistake that most beginning car drivers makes with the gas pedal, especially on a stick shift: pressing the gas pedal down too much.
The initial throttle over-application is usually exacerbated by a "death grip" in which the rider keeps it pegged at WOT. I think it's the instinctive feeling that pulling or twisting back on something will make it stop, as in "Whoa, hossy!". Did it myself once or twice in the MSF class, but not to the degree where I got dumped.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Our local MSF class if I recall correctly specifically suggested people learn how to ride a bicycle before they take MSF class. I have not been on a bicycle for over 30 year by that time so I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest bike they had and practiced riding for a couple of weeks before I took MSF. At least I had no problem with the balance. Most people rode bicycles when they were younger . Neighborhoods used to be safer, kids played outside and rode their bikes. Pretty much everyone in my class was either a rider before they took the class or practiced bicycle riding prior.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Yes, my local MSF class prerequisite is that students know how to ride a bicycle. I think the idea is that they're not there to teach you how to balance on two-wheels. They're there to teach you what is different between riding a light non-motorised two-wheel and a heavy motorised two-wheel.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

teabow1 wrote:
JHScoot wrote:

Why is she putting on the helmet without buckling it? That's almost as useless as not wearing one!
Regis did not buckle his.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ i notice it seems to be a "foot down" problem with the newest of riders. both her and Regis never get the feet up, hit the ground with one or the other, and start to teeter. not long before they go over

and of course the problem isn't riding, exactly. it is STOPPING!

will get 'em every time :atgatt:
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Fred Flintsone stop is an instinct many people have to learn to break. Many will stick a foot out at the first sign of wobbliness, making things much worse.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ maybe if the wheels were made of stone? :shock:

or maybe its just those evil RED Vespa scooters :devil:
Riding is riding
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:The Fred Flintsone stop is an instinct many people have to learn to break. Many will stick a foot out at the first sign of wobbliness, making things much worse.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GgKoXzbw13E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank God for well placed guardrails, otherwise he'd be in the next zipcode in a thicket of rattlesnakes.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
ericalm wrote:The Fred Flintsone stop is an instinct many people have to learn to break. Many will stick a foot out at the first sign of wobbliness, making things much worse.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GgKoXzbw13E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thank God for well placed guardrails, otherwise he'd be in the next zipcode in a thicket of rattlesnakes.
Ugh, seeing that bare knee about to hit pavement in the still frame gives me the willies.

That's the Snake BSFF, which we rode together! And you're absolutely right—take away the guard rail and the rider would be enjoying a 1000' free fall down the canyon wall (aka one gnarly death).

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

People go over that guardrail quite often. There are videos of motorcyclists flying over that damn thing. This one's a bit more tame.

<iframe width="450" height="259" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Up2UvuRLdTE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Whoa. I'm amazed the underbrush stopped him. Good thing. Also amazed his hip didn't fracture hitting the guardrail. Ouch!

KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Whoa. I'm amazed the underbrush stopped him. Good thing. Also amazed his hip didn't fracture hitting the guardrail. Ouch!
Having worked as a Surveyor for years, you'd be amazed how thick some under brush can be, even with the sharpest machete it can sometimes take seemingly forever to cut the smallest distance. I've seen cars stopped by brush!
But the 'hit' he took to the hip against the guide rail...... OUCH, that's gonna leave a mark!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What's kind of ironic about people going over the Snake is that so many of them are there specifically to ride this curve and get videotaped and photographed there. THEN THEY TOTALLY EAT IT.
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

That's a very good video to show why not to stick your foot out. I can't believe he was wearing essentially those rubber crocs at speed!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teabow1 wrote:That's a very good video to show why not to stick your foot out. I can't believe he was wearing essentially those rubber crocs at speed!
"At speed" probably wasn't that fast judging by his lack of lean and arc. Sigh. Some people don't get it.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
teabow1 wrote:That's a very good video to show why not to stick your foot out. I can't believe he was wearing essentially those rubber crocs at speed!
"At speed" probably wasn't that fast judging by his lack of lean and arc. Sigh. Some people don't get it.
After seeing the rear end slide out the way it did, it makes me wonder how bald the rear tire was. Doesn't seem like bad braking alone would have caused it.

teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

ericalm wrote:
Ok. But still...Crocs???? It's like no protection at all.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teabow1 wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Ok. But still...Crocs???? It's like no protection at all.
My point, sort of. As we've seen in other threads, you don't have to be going that fast to screw up your feet in a crash.

Crocs may actually be better than Chucks or Vans if they stay on your feet. Best not to test this.
That Scooter Guy

Post by That Scooter Guy »

Well, if we're going to post newbie goofs, the thread wouldn't be complete without this classic SV650 test ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD59liIvD-g
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

That Scooter Guy wrote:Well, if we're going to post newbie goofs, the thread wouldn't be complete without this classic SV650 test ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD59liIvD-g
Slow motion into a tree. I like it.

I was sixteen the first time I rode a two-wheeler. It was a beat-up old medium-sized motorcycle. I clumsily went through the neighborhood running over peoples' lawns. In my friend's apartment complex, I took the thing around a tiny cul-de-sac a little too fast, panicked, twisted the throttle while I gripped the brake, and ended up in a bush. Thank god no one had a video camera.
scootergirl_atx

Post by scootergirl_atx »

charlie55 wrote:
teabow1 wrote:

The initial throttle over-application is usually exacerbated by a "death grip" in which the rider keeps it pegged at WOT. I think it's the instinctive feeling that pulling or twisting back on something will make it stop, as in "Whoa, hossy!". Did it myself once or twice in the MSF class, but not to the degree where I got dumped.

I made this extreme rookie mistake last night and was horrified. I was parked in front of an ATM getting ready to leave, twisted the throttle and next thing I knew I was up on the sidewalk with a death grip and headed into a bush and was stopped by the side of the bldg. I snapped out of my shock and let go of the grip and went down. I got up, picked up the scooter, grabbed the silver headlight ring that flew off and was upright again. That death grip reaction though...that is going to haunt me. I really truly hope that I never make that mistake again and pin down what made me do that in the first place. I've had the Buddy since early November but I've been riding on an off since 2005. My New Year's resolution is to get registered for MSF class/endorsement. On my way home after this mishap, I thought about the "pulling a Reege" thread and was looking for another example of that death grip reaction.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

scootergirl_atx wrote:
charlie55 wrote:
teabow1 wrote: In both this video and the one with the reporter crashing, it seems like the fundamental mistake both make is giving too much throttle at once. Both don't realise, it seems, that just a little bit will start the scooter going well on its way. Perhaps that's also the same mistake that most beginning car drivers makes with the gas pedal, especially on a stick shift: pressing the gas pedal down too much.

I made this extreme rookie mistake last night and was horrified. I was parked in front of an ATM getting ready to leave, twisted the throttle and next thing I knew I was up on the sidewalk with a death grip and headed into a bush and was stopped by the side of the bldg. I snapped out of my shock and let go of the grip and went down. I got up, picked up the scooter, grabbed the silver headlight ring that flew off and was upright again. That death grip reaction though...that is going to haunt me. I really truly hope that I never make that mistake again and pin down what made me do that in the first place. I've had the Buddy since early November but I've been riding on an off since 2005. My New Year's resolution is to get registered for MSF class/endorsement. On my way home after this mishap, I thought about the "pulling a Reege" thread and was looking for another example of that death grip reaction.
This is my theory behind it. I have *almost* done that once or twice. If you were like me, you spent a lot of time as a kid riding a bike. If you needed to emergency stop, that's what you did- GRABANDHOLD. Or, at the very least, maybe human nature is to tense or freeze up in panic? That's what your hands and arms did. And if you do that on a twisty, you get throttle.

So I think it's a matter of making a point to train your brain not to react to emergencies by panicking, which is A LOT harder to do than it sounds. Great example of this- in a recent post in the 'Who's Crashed' thread, a gentleman named Brian was hit by a car, dragged by the undercarriage, and they stopped with the car over top of him. He said the woman got out, jumped up and down while exclaiming "I don't know what to do!!". His response was to flip up his visor and say "Ma'am, back your car off of me." DUH. Seems logical enough, but I'm sure she wasn't thinking clearly because she was panicking. Although there are different degrees of panicking... by and large, panicking robs you of common sense. Despite the fact that he had just been run over, he was not panicking.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

scootergirl_atx wrote: I made this extreme rookie mistake last night and was horrified. I was parked in front of an ATM getting ready to leave, twisted the throttle and next thing I knew I was up on the sidewalk with a death grip and headed into a bush and was stopped by the side of the bldg. I snapped out of my shock and let go of the grip and went down. I got up, picked up the scooter, grabbed the silver headlight ring that flew off and was upright again. That death grip reaction though...that is going to haunt me. I really truly hope that I never make that mistake again and pin down what made me do that in the first place. I've had the Buddy since early November but I've been riding on an off since 2005. My New Year's resolution is to get registered for MSF class/endorsement. On my way home after this mishap, I thought about the "pulling a Reege" thread and was looking for another example of that death grip reaction.
You hit the operative word there in your post: rookie. It's going to happen. Happened to me. Happened to lots of others. No shame in it; you survived.

A death grip is part of your psyche adapting to moving quickly outside of a vehicle. You probably did a death grip as a kid the first time on a rollercoaster. After a while, your arms are up in the air. Practice and time will be what it takes for you to adjust.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing with the MSF course; they should cover that during the day and if not, ask the instructor to cover it. Odds are others will have the same concern.

Good luck and glad you're okay.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are a lot of instinctive reactions that take a while to overcome but once you do, it's second nature.

First is putting a foot down and out to make a Fred Flintstone stop or when you're a little freaked in a sharper than expected turn. I have seen people drop at almost 0 mph when coming out of a parking lot because they got a bit wobbly and instead of leaning away, they put their foot out and lean down to steady themselves. Similarly, the Flintstone stop—see it all the time! Putting feet down in turns results in crashes and ankle injuries. Eventually you train your body to upright the scooter, adjust your leans and keep your feet in and on the floorboards where they belong and you learn when and how it's safe to extend a foot.

Second is death grip. Not just in your scenario, but also in wind, going over objects, hitting potholes. The grip just means you have to fight your own muscles to maneuver the scooter.

Third, target fixation: looking down and straight ahead instead of out and in front and looking through turns. The scooter goes where you're looking and it you're looking straight at the curb you're headed towards, you're going to hit it. A lot of new riders look at the ground in front of their front tire. Not good!
This might be the hardest instinct to break, and it gets even experienced riders. It contributed to my going down last summer (hey, I'm going too fast for this turn, uh oh, sand, hey look at that embankment, ouch). After that, it was really tough to stop myself from doing it and I had to retrain myself. I guess we instinctively want to see what we may hit but on a scooter that's not the way to avoid it.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:People go over that guardrail quite often. There are videos of motorcyclists flying over that damn thing. This one's a bit more tame.

<iframe width="450" height="259" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Up2UvuRLdTE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
watching that again, it's not so much the wreck that shocks me, but thinking of what his face would look like if he didn't have a fullface helmet on and then kissed the wooden post at the same speed.... shocking.