handle bar front wheel alignment

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mlee10018

handle bar front wheel alignment

Post by mlee10018 »

My handle bar / front wheel alignment is off enough so that I have a hard time adjusting my right mirror to see behind me well(it is lower and closer to me). Of course my left side is great because is is always further away from me and higher...
Is this alignment something easy to adjust or should I speak with my dealer?
thanks
Lee
Dave R
Dealer

Post by Dave R »

dealer.. did it get crashed ?
Ducati Seattle/Genuine Scooters Seattle is now on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Genuine-S ... 555?ref=ts
Please become a fan
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

no, it just came a little off, I only noticed it because I was having trouble adjusting the right mirror.
Lee
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

With an adjustable or 14mm wrench, you can loosen the base nut on the mirror and adjust it differently. I don't know if that would help. One thing to remember when doing this is that the right side mirror is reverse thread. So the normal righty-tighty / lefty-loosey is actually righty-loosey / lefty-tighty. This is on the right mirror only, the left one is regular thread. As for the handlebars, I would take it back to the dealer so they can find out why they came loose and make sure there isn't going to be a recurrence which could potentially be a safety hazard.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

If you remove the front cover (where the secondary turn signals are) and turn the wheel all the way to the left you will be able to access a bolt that tightens the handlebars to the rest of the wheel assembly.

It is located just below and behind the headlight area. If you loosen this bolt (not sure of the socket sizing), the handlebars will have about an inch of free play to the right or left where the wheel will not move at all. You will have to have the handlebars all the way to the left to reach the bolt, so someone else should stand at a distance and verify when the tire/headlight look perfectly aligned together, then have them hold the tire firm between their feet and also hold the handlebar firm while you re-tighten the bolt.

Your back in alignment!
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

I took it to my dealers and all he did to correct this was (like a bmx) put both legs on either sides of the front tire and twisted the handle bar in the desired direction. Much easier than I had imagined! And it did help with seeing out of both mirrors, of couse the mirror could still be taller.
Lee