"Poor man" saddlebags

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelNsanity

"Poor man" saddlebags

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I got tired of making two trips (@ 28 miles) to the store in 35 degree weather so I got a bright idea of tying two resuable bags together and securing them under the seat. Everthing made it home fine, top speed was only 50mph but I wasn't real confident on the straps holding at higher speeds.

I'm actually designing my own pair of saddle bags so this test run gave me some great feedback. :D

Happy holidays all and keep scoot'n :)
Attachments
walmart-saddlebags.gif
walmart-saddlebags.gif (192.68 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

From my experience, speed isn't what kills setups like this...it's bumps. Awesome that it works for ya! Just make sure to check the stitching every now and then and have at least a few inches clearance between the bag and exhaust so's ya don't burn your bag. :)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hilarious! I once had cherry tomatoes flying out of my milkcrate because I didn't secure the top of the bag with anything more than a couple of bungees.

I also had an eBay package fly out at some point and I considered it lost as I never found it. Because it had full postage, it somehow made it to the winning bidder. I still have no idea how that happened!

If you're making your own, you may want to add a zippered top. I've since switched to shopping bags with zip tops and I haven't lost any tomatoes!
That Scooter Guy

Post by That Scooter Guy »

I'll tell you another trick that a guy in my club does. He uses the saddlebags that are designed for dogs! I don't know that they are any more sturdy or roomy than other options, but he seems to like 'em.

http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Saddle- ... 546&sr=8-2
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I've finished designing my own bags using canvas, two-tone green/tan, I had around the house. I plan on using a zipper top. My wifes friend is a seamstress and hopefully she'll sew them up for me. As far as straps I have a couple of dead backpacks I'm going to utilize. They should be done in a couple of weeks, I'll post pictures when the're done.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Find a way to attach the bottom of the bags to the scoot so they don't flop around, and you should be OK.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

rsrider wrote:Find a way to attach the bottom of the bags to the scoot so they don't flop around, and you should be OK.
+1
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Best idea I've seen around here somewhere - two Tactical Bail Out Bags hooked together with their shoulder straps. Either the regular TBOB or the Jumbo ($30 ea) might do a good job.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

PeteH wrote:Best idea I've seen around here somewhere - two Tactical Bail Out Bags hooked together with their shoulder straps. Either the regular TBOB or the Jumbo ($30 ea) might do a good job.
I did that one time with the two that I bought on the MP3. It looked pretty cool.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

Don't forget the Tractor Supply bags which have been so popular amongst out more thrifty members. A quick serach should bring up a model number.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

That Scooter Guy wrote:I'll tell you another trick that a guy in my club does. He uses the saddlebags that are designed for dogs! I don't know that they are any more sturdy or roomy than other options, but he seems to like 'em.

http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Saddle- ... 546&sr=8-2
:shock: Why did that never cross my mind? I'm going to try that. I have two sets of dog packs that puppy doesn't use anymore (due to hip dysplasia).
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Swiss army surplus "bread bags" work great and are super cheap.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

rsrider wrote:Find a way to attach the bottom of the bags to the scoot so they don't flop around, and you should be OK.
Either that or attach a couple of rare earth magnets to the bag and glue a small piece of sheet metal inside the rear panel. Prime and paint it first and it wount rust.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

DanteG wrote:Don't forget the Tractor Supply bags which have been so popular amongst out more thrifty members. A quick serach should bring up a model number.
Saddle bags for a horsy. $30, I've used them a few times and had no problems. I like how you've taken on this project yourself, show us what you end up with.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've got the tractor supply bags. They're okay for occasional use. For a trip, I'd want something much better.

Watch out for the exhaust and heat from the side. You can melt through most of these nylon bags PDQ and have all kinds of mess on your hands.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

ericalm wrote:I've got the tractor supply bags. They're okay for occasional use. For a trip, I'd want something much better.

Watch out for the exhaust and heat from the side. You can melt through most of these nylon bags PDQ and have all kinds of mess on your hands.
and anything loose that could get sucked into the fan or wheel.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Well, it took awhile to get the bags back from my wifes friend, but wow she did a great job on putting them together. I put straps on them lastnight and mounted them on the scoot and I think they look great. Today is the first test run to the store, I'll post updates.

Cost: $6 for zippers, $15 for material (mine was just leftover from prior project), $0 for straps (I salvaged them from old backpacks and bicycle helmet), $15 for my wifes friend to professionally sew them. Total: $36.00.

Well it seems I can't upload any of the pics, apparently the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

try imageshack.us for quick/free image hosting

They'll give you the link to use in seconds
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I registered and uploaded the pic but could you explain exactly how to do this, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to stuff like this, took me 3 months to figure out how to post my fuelly banner, tee hee :D .

I've been messying around and found the link so here it is if you want to see the pics click here: http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2660/saddlebags.gif
Last edited by 2wheelNsanity on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

siobhan wrote:Hilarious! I once had cherry tomatoes flying out of my milkcrate because I didn't secure the top of the bag with anything more than a couple of bungees.

I also had an eBay package fly out at some point and I considered it lost as I never found it. Because it had full postage, it somehow made it to the winning bidder. I still have no idea how that happened!

If you're making your own, you may want to add a zippered top. I've since switched to shopping bags with zip tops and I haven't lost any tomatoes!
what an interesting story =)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Thanx Ericalm.

Well, test run didn't go as planned. With the weight of the groceries the bags sagged more than I thought and the right side got too close to the exhaust. So I am going to have to put a strap secured on the outside that comes over the top and connects under the seat. Ohter than this set back I managed to put 3 large bags in each side, I got home with a $100 worth of grocerries.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Some people hate front racks, but they're essential for balancing your load.

On Thanksgiving Eve, I had 3 bags of ice in a top case, pet carrier and floorboard crammed and my scoot was very unbalanced and a pain to maneuver! If it had been more than a couple miles, I'd have had to stop and redistribute.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I guess I lucked out...

I was able to get a set of lightly used Tecnic expandable saddle bags for $40; always be on the lookout for used stuff that was gently used
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

I picked up an extra freebie briefcase at the last conference I attended. By sewing the flap a little higher I created a sleeve for some aluminum rod and then closed off the ends by sewing straps. The rod keeps it out of the way of the seat and holds it open should the straps start to slip.

Works great with light loads (10 lbs ea). The bags have a zipper top under the flap and a zipper on the bottom for 2" expansion to 6" max. I have no idea what the max is for handling but I could probably but about 25 lbs in each.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

They look great :D .
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Saddle bags for a horsy. $30, I've used them a few times and had no problems. I like how you've taken on this project yourself, show us what you end up with.

Yes and you can eat oats if you get hungry :)