Scooter mugs at Starbucks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

neotrotsky wrote:As for the mug: Not bad. Too bad I rarely drink coffee enough to drive me to get it. It does look rather tasteful
Hot chocolate! OR ice cream sundaes! OR soup! It's 16oz. you can use it for lots of things!
The possibilities are endless!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Syd

Post by Syd »

A small strip mall in my neighborhood had an independent coffee shop for a few years. Then the mall management decided to let a Starbucks into the same strip mall. Pissed me off the management co would do that to the independent. Then about a year later the grocery store in the strip mall renovated the interior and put in a Starbucks! So in under 100 yards there were two Starbucks and an independent. It was hilarious.

The in-store Starbucks didn't last long, the grocery store has closed too, and so far the independent has hung in there, and looks like it is keeping busy. Power to the people!

I'll happily drink instant, so you know how refined my palette is. But I may stop in to see if there is a mug there.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Syd wrote:A small strip mall in my neighborhood had an independent coffee shop for a few years. Then the mall management decided to let a Starbucks into the same strip mall. Pissed me off the management co would do that to the independent. Then about a year later the grocery store in the strip mall renovated the interior and put in a Starbucks! So in under 100 yards there were two Starbucks and an independent. It was hilarious.

The in-store Starbucks didn't last long, the grocery store has closed too, and so far the independent has hung in there, and looks like it is keeping busy. Power to the people!

I'll happily drink instant, so you know how refined my palette is. But I may stop in to see if there is a mug there.
There is actually a Starbucks that moved in a few years ago closer the entrance to a strip mall (behind the actual MALL) but in front of the strip mall with the grocery store that USED TO house Mocha Lisa's.
They (ML's) still prospered, and when the actual mall was chopped into weird bits and pieces of separate buildings/strip malls, Mocha Lisa's moved THERE to be in front of Starbucks, and into a larger, better building! There's A LOT of foot traffic here, as opposed to where Starbucks still resides! Go Mocha Lisa's!

Also, they have amazing coffee, tea, paninis, salads, smoothies, muffins/scones, and even more! I love that place, so glad I can order some nice healthy lunch while working at a mall!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

k1dude wrote:
babblefish wrote: Image

No, not really, but they're not as big of a plague as Starbucks, although the bulk of their stores are in California. They have locations in CA, CO, IL, MA, OR & WA.
Umm. If you haven't heard yet, Starbucks bought Peets. If they treat them the same as when they bought Seattles Best, there will be no Peets in a few years.

And for those of you wondering, Peet's coffee blows away Starbucks.
Man, now that sucks. Now StarBurns will burn the hell out of the Peets beens like they do their own. Yet another good coffee bites the dust.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

rsrider wrote:I've been to a few NOT STARBUCKS coffee shops, and their house brew is just as bitter as *$'s. I complain on *$'s web page all the time about their suck house brew, to no avail. I still go to *$'s, but most of the time I make my own coffee at home, using Trader Joes various coffees. I buy different varieties of arabica dark, and I'm happy. *$'s is good for Bike Night and grabbing a quick cuppa when out and about. The one thing I do hate about going to *$'s is the frickin campers........kick them out after 2 hours, I need a place to sit!!!
I have only one comment: "decafe" :)
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:
babblefish wrote: Image

No, not really, but they're not as big of a plague as Starbucks, although the bulk of their stores are in California. They have locations in CA, CO, IL, MA, OR & WA.
Umm. If you haven't heard yet, Starbucks bought Peets. If they treat them the same as when they bought Seattles Best, there will be no Peets in a few years.

And for those of you wondering, Peet's coffee blows away Starbucks.
OK, good news. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a manager for one of the local Peets and as far as he knows, this is not true. He said there were rumors about this several months ago, but that's all they were, rumors.
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

picked mine up today.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:OK, good news. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a manager for one of the local Peets and as far as he knows, this is not true. He said there were rumors about this several months ago, but that's all they were, rumors.
Interesting. A couple months ago our local TV news reported it was a done deal. But based on your post, I looked it up and our local news was incorrect. However, your friend was incorrect that it was just a rumor. The two coffee giants actually were in talks about a sale after years of rumors of a proposed sale. But it appears to have been shelved for the time being. It could potentially happen though since both parties refuse to comment. That often means the option is still on the table, they just need to iron out details and/or study it a little more.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What the hell is going on when it takes more than 24 hours for people to start slagging Starbucks in a forum thread?

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. In these times, it shouldn't take more than an hour for someone to start ranting about crappy, mass-produced coffee from corporate bullies and the natural superiority of small, independently-owned brewhouses which probably do not sell cool Lambretta coffee mugs.

Next thing you know, it'll be scooter ties from the Gap, scooter socks from Wal*Mart, scooter underwear at Target, scooter stationery from Amazon.com and remote controlled scooters from Best Buy. THIS IS HOW THEY GET US. They know we'll fork out our hard earned dosh for any piece of probably made in China scooter-related merchandise. Where will it end?

So in spite of anything I may have written, implied or facilitated earlier in this thread, I am calling for a boycott of all mass-produced crap with scooters on it. In these times of austerity, do we really need more stuff just because someone slapped a scooter on it? HELL NO. And if we do, we should only buy from local scooter crap artisans. Support your local creator and purveyor of scooter themed tchotchkes that you don't need anyways. If you already own a mug, do you really need two? Just wash the one you have! This is what's wrong with America.

While you're at it, stop buying gas. Those guys make Starbucks look like saints! I know you think gas is a necessity, but scooters actually run pretty well on biofuel made from rotten, locally-grown apples, corn and pig feces. Google it.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Hmm...not sure, but me thinks I detect a note of sarcasm here...

Or is it that someone hasn't had his morning coffee yet? :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

More satirical than sarcastic. :)

I'm all for the small coffee places, etc., but the second someone said "Starbucks," we started down a path of inevitability. It always happens.

There are many things that, once stated on a forum, will precipitate a series of predictable responses: someone mentions drinking or liking a cheap "macro" brew beer; someone mentions In-N-Out or another famed burger palace; helmet threads, gear threads, etc.

I'm not knocking anyone, just poking fun at our unerring collective behavior.

And a roundabout way to reuse the Batman unicorn thing.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Yeah, you're probably right. We're just a collective bunch of Lemmings...:)

Personally, I just like to support the underdogs, downtrodden and generally unbathed.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:Personally, I just like to support the underdogs, downtrodden and generally unbathed.
I'll drink a glass of "cheap "macro" brew beer" to that! :wink:
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ericalm wrote:More satirical than sarcastic. :)

I'm all for the small coffee places, etc., but the second someone said "Starbucks," we started down a path of inevitability. It always happens.

There are many things that, once stated on a forum, will precipitate a series of predictable responses: someone mentions drinking or liking a cheap "macro" brew beer; someone mentions In-N-Out or another famed burger palace; helmet threads, gear threads, etc.

Habit Burger is way better... 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
babblefish wrote:Personally, I just like to support the underdogs, downtrodden and generally unbathed.
That swill?! If it wasn't hand crafted by either fixie-riding guys with handlebar moustaches or a group of monks in an Appalachian village, I'm not drinking it!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
That swill?! If it wasn't hand crafted by either fixie-riding guys with handlebar moustaches or a group of monks in an Appalachian village, I'm not drinking it!
I'd drink it...as long as it's in a container with a scooter on it.:)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Roose Hurro wrote:

Habit Burger is way better... 8)
Five Guys FTW! (Now that Heart Attack Grill had one. anyway)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Resistance is futile. Actually it's probably pretty easy. I think. Whatevs, got me a new mug!

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

the fact of the matter is no one gave a crap about coffee until Starbucks started popping up. want coffee? it was either McDonald's, Winchell's, local donut shops, or a so called "coffee shop"

were their the trendy "coffee houses" many like to espouse these days? sure, a few. but nothing to bring coffee to the masses like Starbucks, or to get that whole "coffee ball" rolling

and if i do recall wasn't SB's just a little indie coffee house in Seattle at one time? why, i think it was. bet a lot of those same people putting it down now would have had best wishes for it, then

"dudes. why go to McDonalds? Starbucks is WAY better. down with Corporate Amerika!"

oh but now THEY are the enemy? pfft

Peet's, also. my local shop opened nearly 15 years ago. business was slow. a Starbucks opened across the street, business picked up. both are still open today and serving, yeah you guessed it, COFFEE. but now Peet's seems in the crosshairs, too

what a scourge on society. to actually have choices :(
Riding is riding
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I go to all of the above mentioned places on occassion, but I always felt I kind of understood some of the objections.

More choices is relative. It's not so much "boo mainstream" as a boo to the side effect of mainstreamification - loss of diversity to some extent.

I always view it as an ecological analogy. Humans moved some types of animals all over the world. Sometimes they fit in, or are forced to...(mmm..domestication and agriculture). Othertimes they wreck havoc on the natural ecosystem and are a serious problem. Sometimes they just re-balance things.

That's why I say more choices are relative. You mix up all the creatures from each continent into one, and who knows what will happen. More animals maybe, but some of them will certainly fall ot and the landscape will be different. There is a bit of charm at the differences sometimes, rather than trying to consolidate.

Having a Starbucks/Peets/McDonalds/whatever on every corner is, to me, contextual. People usually are more up in ATMs about it if their own environment/ecosystem got tweaked, or they worry it will.

Same thing with animals, eh? It's not necessarily down with corporate Starbucks vs original indie Starbucks (to some people) so much as the contextual effect. People originally thought introducing rabbits to Australia was brilliant, now everyone a 100 years later realized it was stupid.

Anyway, I don't really boycott any particular stores, though sometimes I consider the ramifications of my purchases (especially when comparing larger corporations to smaller ones, as other than for food I never really go to any actual "mom and pop stores."

interesting stuff.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Resistance is futile. Actually it's probably pretty easy. I think. Whatevs, got me a new mug!
Yeah, my local Starbucks doesn't carry much merch any more, so I had to order online. Some things you just gotta do.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Wow...that's a lot of interest in a mug with a scooter on it.
:rubs hands together: Hey, Eric...mind if I play with the MB logo or the MB patch design?

signed,
a potter. ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Cheshire wrote:Wow...that's a lot of interest in a mug with a scooter on it.
:rubs hands together: Hey, Eric...mind if I play with the MB logo or the MB patch design?

signed,
a potter. ;)
I wouldn't call what we have on top of the forum the MB logo. It was there when I got here. :)

Play all you like as long as it's for non-commercial use!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mulliganal wrote:Man, now that sucks. Now StarBurns will burn the hell out of the Peets beens like they do their own. Yet another good coffee bites the dust.
Well, you could always move to Portland. Great scooter town and the home of Stumptown Coffee. Once you've tried some of their roasts, you would never go back to Charbucks anyway. (the actual truth is that dark roasted coffees, while bitter, stay stable on the shelf for a longer period of time - the lighter roasts with fruit and citrus and spice and chocolate flavors lose those after a few weeks - Charbucks is making a business decision, instead of a good coffee decision :wink: )
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have a bag of Stumptown on my counter. I may drink it. :)

Starburns?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

JHScoot wrote:where can i find one of these....what you call them...these so-called "Starbucks" :?:
So called is correct

The REAL one is in Ramallah :mrgreen:

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Got mine today. My family went Xmas shopping at Potomac Mills. I was the only one that bought anything and it was the mug. (I hear it's a Lammy... the register said 'Vespa Mug' XD) Does that mean our shopping trip was a total failure? I can't decide.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

LunaP wrote:Got mine today. My family went Xmas shopping at Potomac Mills. I was the only one that bought anything and it was the mug. (I hear it's a Lammy... the register said 'Vespa Mug' XD) Does that mean our shopping trip was a total failure? I can't decide.
Nope...someone at Starbucks is a total failure... :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:Resistance is futile. Actually it's probably pretty easy. I think. Whatevs, got me a new mug!
Yeah, my local Starbucks doesn't carry much merch any more, so I had to order online. Some things you just gotta do.
So...you couldn't walk 100 yards away to another Starbucks? Or is that just around here...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

babblefish wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
So...you couldn't walk 100 yards away to another Starbucks? Or is that just around here...

Nope....there is another Stars and Bucks about 1km away from the one located at Al Manara Square
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

ericalm wrote:What the hell is going on when it takes more than 24 hours for people to start slagging Starbucks in a forum thread?

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. In these times, it shouldn't take more than an hour for someone to start ranting about crappy, mass-produced coffee from corporate bullies and the natural superiority of small, independently-owned brewhouses which probably do not sell cool Lambretta coffee mugs.
As an Italian, coffee lover and licensed barista, I can tell you that most small, independently-owned brewhouses aren't necessarily all that good, especially when they try to push inferior blends on their customers by suggesting that organic coffee is better for the farmers and somehow magically taste better (it does not). That being said starbucks does not train their baristas at all, I had to explain to a friend that works there just why starbucks coffee tastes burnt no matter what (protip: the blend they use is too dark for espresso machines which are designed to extract the maximum amount of oils out of your grounds). Truth be told, the best coffee in existance is not some organic local roast, it's available all over the world (at a premium), and its what the vast majority of coffee shops in Italy will sell.
I will drink nothing but Illy and if I ever decide that grad school isn't for me and I want to get back to brewing coffee for a living I will be making sure whatever establishment I end up working for serves nothing but Illy.

as a final note, 4$+ for an espresso?! What in the world! An espresso is 60 cents in Italy, 1 euro for a capuccino. Also why in America a capuccino is made with enough milk to give diarrhea to a colony of cats for several week?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lokky wrote:
ericalm wrote:What the hell is going on when it takes more than 24 hours for people to start slagging Starbucks in a forum thread?

As an Italian, coffee lover and licensed barista, I can tell you that most small, independently-owned brewhouses aren't necessarily all that good, especially when they try to push inferior blends on their customers by suggesting that organic coffee is better for the farmers and somehow magically taste better (it does not). That being said starbucks does not train their baristas at all, I had to explain to a friend that works there just why starbucks coffee tastes burnt no matter what (protip: the blend they use is too dark for espresso machines which are designed to extract the maximum amount of oils out of your grounds). Truth be told, the best coffee in existance is not some organic local roast, it's available all over the world (at a premium), and its what the vast majority of coffee shops in Italy will sell.
I will drink nothing but Illy and if I ever decide that grad school isn't for me and I want to get back to brewing coffee for a living I will be making sure whatever establishment I end up working for serves nothing but Illy.

as a final note, 4$+ for an espresso?! What in the world! An espresso is 60 cents in Italy, 1 euro for a capuccino. Also why in America a capuccino is made with enough milk to give diarrhea to a colony of cats for several week?
:headache:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Lokky wrote: Also why in America a capuccino is made with enough milk to give diarrhea to a colony of cats for several week?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My 'Favorite' coffee drink from my local NON-chain coffee shop is about a 5:1 mix espresso to steamed milk. (five shots espresso, one of the milk) Add a couple (5-6) 'pumps' of dark chocolate and it's My 'signature' drink, The "Cranky Old Man" :roll:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

Got my scooter mug yesterday!
My girlfriend went out and got me the last one in out local starbucks. She couldn't wait for Christmas, so I got it early.
I likey. Big mug, good color
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
There's not a Starbucks every 100 yards in North Chesterfield, Virginia. I drove more than 5 miles miles out of my way to a second Starbucks where they also had no merch. The helpful folks there suggested I try Goodwill because, "that's where all the out of date merchandise gets dumped." I went home, fired up the interwebs, and ordered the frikking thing. To their great credit, Starbucks shipping on mugs is very reasonable. EDIT: The mugs just now arrived only three days after I ordered them. Pretty good for a $3.00 shipping and handling charge! (Oh dog, now I've done it. I went and said something complementary about Starbucks online.)
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

My wife just drinks Illy at home, which she gets at world market. They sometimes have great after Xmas sales on Illy, the Xmas packs they don't sell. Stock up!
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

rsrider wrote:My wife just drinks Illy at home, which she gets at world market. They sometimes have great after Xmas sales on Illy, the Xmas packs they don't sell. Stock up!
Thanks for the tip. I've never tried illy in the US. I'll have to give it a try with one of the sample packs when they go on sale at Cost Plus.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Also, those illy cans have all kinds of uses.

And the artist cups are nice.
http://www.illyusa.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rtist-cups
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Also, those illy cans have all kinds of uses.

Their Almodóvar cups come in sets of two so if one has a nervous breakdown, you can use the other one, right? :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:

Their Almodóvar cups come in sets of two so if one has a nervous breakdown, you can use the other one, right? :wink:
I first saw one when I ordered a capp at a restaurant. It was a bit weird. Wasn't sure what to expect.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Me personally?...I'm a fan of Foamy the squirrel; what can I say :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Squirrelly wrath. Just sayin'.
(But it's alright, 'cause I have my Kevorkian Scarf!)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

They really do! I keep my Starbucks coffee in mine! :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmazza wrote:
They really do! I keep my Starbucks coffee in mine! :P
:rofl:

I have a couple on my desks. And I keep nuts in one, like a caffeine-addicted squirrel.

They are good for coffee because they vacuum seal. Not like the plastic top on your can of Yuban or Folgers or whatever.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Starbucks is like a drug. Last night (this morning?) I was at a Starbucks until 2:30AM (yes, AM) and the place was packed. Right now, I'm sitting at a different Starbucks enjoying a Starbucks hot chocolate and butter croissant, sitting at a Starbucks table listening to Starbucks music and using Starbucks internet. I think somewhere inbetween the two Starbucks I worked, at a job. I gotta get a life...oh, and there's no scooter mugs in sight. :|

I can quit any time I want...really...I can...maybe tomorrow...
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I got my scooter mug just a couple of days ago. The Starbucks in our local Safeway had (and still has) a bunch of them. This morning, I am sitting in the living room, drinking my exotic Folgers Gourmet Supreme, with Sweet'nLow and milk, brewed in our imported Mr.Coffee machine. I like the mug; in addition to the scooter silhouette, it has an interior in my favorite color, Army Bile Green. Life is good.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I'm still seeing a lot of stock with this mug.....after Xmas sale???? Be there on the 26th (if you survive Xmas) and maybe pick a couple up for cheap and have a complete set.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

syd wrote:Five Guys FTW!
+1! Best burger joint around, hands down. And originally from Arlington VA.

My favorite cup of coffee...

mrandmrslindholm

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

My husband bought me the mug this weekend after we took a scooter ride to one of our local Starbucks. Yeah! :-) I have looked at this thread a few times after starting it and have to say that I do not really disagree with those who dislike Starbucks because they cause all the mom and pop places to close down. However, I will forever be a Starbucks fan. For several years, I worked for a ministry that served the homeless. We were fortunate enough to get daily donations from about 6 local Starbucks. They would give us their day old pastries and coffee. With these donations, we brewed coffee and provided pastries to our homeless clients. I always thought it was neat that they could come in and have a Starbucks coffee and pastry for free. They all enjoyed it and we all enjoyed the coffee. So, even though they probably do run out most mom and pop coffee houses, they will always get my business.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks for sharing your experience with Starbucks. It's good to hear them helping the local community. I try to support small coffee shops when I can, but none of them are open 24 hours like one of my local Starbucks. Not sure why, but that place is always packed even at 2-3 in the morning when I've gone there. Don't these people have a life?:)