Windshield Experiences

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lobsterman

Windshield Experiences

Post by lobsterman »

I'm looking for your experiences with windshields on the Buddy.

Specifically, which windshield do have and what you think of it? Do you use it all the time or just in cold weather? How does it affect speed, handling, and susceptability to the cold?

I'm really not interested in this context about experience with other scooters or motorcycles. I am trying to decide whether to invest in a windshield for my 06 Buddy for use this coming cold weather season.

Thanks!
Kevin
AYPWIP?
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Good topic. I'm looking forward to hearing about this.
EBee

Post by EBee »

I have the short one. I can honestly say that it is *awesome* in cutting the wind and rain (and bugs!). As I am vertically challenged, it comes to my shoulders so I can hunker down behind it if necessary as well.

I don't find it a problem in strong wind either; rather, it does the opposite and keeps me from feeling like I'm going to blow off the bike. On the plus side, the install extends the mirrors out to give me a much better view of what's behind me.

I have also heard that it improves mileage...I'm getting 100+ per gal. if the odometer is correct. And I go faster too.

Last edited by EBee on Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I had the tall screen on the 06 (RIP). Obviously it will not fit on my 07 so I may take the 06 black buddy from the spouse and try and put it on.
I digress. The best part about the tall screen was that the sides covered the handlebars, so my hands did not get cold. It makes a huge difference in temps below 50. We have traded buddys back and forth with and w/o screen - it is a remarkable difference.

what I dont like: getting blown around, it think it is a little worse with a screen. you have to commit to grounding the buddy when it is is very windy. One of our members here who is very light had an accident on a windy day on a screen buddy.

In anything above 55 degrees I hate it. I like the wind and open feeling. the large screen is like being in a bubble. I do not think speed was affected. If you plan on riding in very cold temps, I think it is a good investment -although my husband preferred no screen, no matter how cold. Too bad you can't find someone with a screen and take a ride and see for yourself becuase it is def. personal taste.
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

this is my buddy... and that's the windshield i have.

i like it, for bugs alone. and also for the aesthetic...

when i'm riding i hunk down behind it. and i feel like i'm flying.
EBee

Post by EBee »

Ok, so how'd you include the pic in your post? I tried using IMG commands and it doesn't work. :(
dannyW

Post by dannyW »

click "IMG" then insert the copied url, then hit IMG again...

bam you have a picture....

also, a little more on my buddy with a windshield.

A) i live in Los Angeles where there isn't really weather.
B) I'm getting on average 111 mpg through 700 miles
C) I'm a 6'5 170 lb man who still keeps the buddy going 60 - 65 miles per hour through traffic.

BUT I'm not sure what effect the windshield has on my aerodynamics.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

I just installed the WSBUD3 (like the one in DannyW's photo) last night on my'07 Buddy 125. Rode to work with it for the first time today. Definitely seemed to notice smoother acceleration. The noise is different. Not less, just different whooshing. Not so much wind on my chest, but the about same on my lower arms. The WSBUD3 doesn't really extend all that far out to the left or the right, but I really like it.

I came to realize last week (I called Scooterworks) that it has also been discontinued. So in a panic, I called around the country to see who had one in stock close to me. Sportique was out, but Scooter Lounge in Utah came through!

I don't really understand why it would be discontinued. It just came out! The other one is still a current item though (WSPRIMA1).

If you like the style and shape of it, better snatch one fast.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Capt. Spaulding

Post by Capt. Spaulding »

I just put the small windshield - BUD3 I guess - on this past Saturday and I like it. I'm a big guy so I catch a bit of wind anyway but this seems to smooth it out. It's been cool on the daily commute this week and I think it helps there too. It seems to deflect air about up to the bottom of my neck. Hasn't been real windy - about 10-15mph max, so I can't say what that'll feel like.
Capt. Spaulding

Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy.
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I have the same screen as EBee on my '06. I leave it on all year.

It blocks bugs big time.

I seem to add 3-5 MPH to my top end.

I like the way it looks.

I can tuck behind it to shield myself from the wind if necessary, but not for prolonged periods as it is uncomfortable.

I don't really see any difference in fuel economy.

I don't really notice a huge difference in stability, however it's been so long since I've ridden without it that it's hard to remember. Regardless, I feel Buddy Lightning is very stable, even at freeway speeds with a little bit of wind kicking about.

It directs the air away from my chest and straight to my helmet, so it is a much stronger wind sound. The sound is my only gripe about the screen (and it's no a big enough problem to remove it), otherwise I love it.
mybuddy

Post by mybuddy »

I have the tall windshield and love it when it is cold. I will probably be putting it back on Buddy here in a couple of weeks when my morning rides start getting cooler.

I fit behind the tall windshield perfectly (I am about 5-8 or so) The wind goes right over my helmet. The tall windshield also offers a little more hand protection, but I have noticed that the wind just curls around the ends and hits part of my hand anyways. I notice a big difference in warmth when it is cooler and the winds are not hitting me.

I have noticed that when I get behind big trucks that the wind turbulance caused by them is a lot more noticeable when the windshield is on.

When I get it installed I will get intouch with you Kevin so that you can see it and take it for a spin to see what you think.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I just installed the small Cuppini windshield on my '06 a week ago. I have noticed no ill effects in the wind (and the past two weeks have been WINDY!!) and I have noticed I can attain the same speeds sitting up that I could only attain tucked way down with my chin almost on the speedometer when I had no windshield. Mileage also seems to be up a bit.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have the tall windshield on the 06. It's been trimmed down a little, so I can see over it in the rain (I am 5'1"). I love it. I never take it off. Because it's tall enough to channel the wind over my head, it makes a huge difference in the cold and rain and when riding at faster speeds. Especially if riding for a distance, it's nice to not have the wind pushing on you all the time. I find it makes me feel more stable for checking my blind spot, too. Before, I felt like my helmet would catch the wind anytime I turned to look over my shoulder.

I don't ride if they are predicting wind gusts of 40mph or higher. It has been knocked over by storms with 70mph winds a couple of times.
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

I have the same screen as dannyW. At first, honestly, I hated it. I felt unstable and whenever the wind blew, Watch Out! I am far from tiny (well, I'm extra medium), and it took me awhile to get used to it. I even had Corsair take it off the first day because I disliked it so. But I gave it another chance and have it on full time. I'm protected from bugs, shielded from wind, and I go faster than Corsair. Ha! Now if only I could get a wiper blade on it.....
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Windshield Lesson I've Learned:
1. Great for cooler weather. The tall windshield keeps the damp cool wind off me.

2. Great for keeping from upping my protein intake by eating too many bugs. Especially during the evenings.

3. Not so great in real hot weather. Hot weather is the time you want the wind on you.

4. When going above 50mph, the wind doesn't push you so hard.

What I have decided, I'm going to be seasonal with it, fall/winter-on spring/summer-off. Quite frankly, the windshield detracts from the beauty of the Buddy.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I just put on a Cuppini Buddy short windscreen on my 07. It seems to be about 4" to short. The wind is off my chest, but hits me directly in the face. It seems to be noisier and I need to ware my face shield for face protection. It made a big difference removing the wind hitting me in the chest area and I was able to hit 70 indicated MPH even going up a little hill and about 72 MPH going down. The scooter handled very good at that speed much better then without the screen. Does anyone know of a way to add about 4" to a windscreen. 4more inches would put the windscreen just below my eye level. So far I don't know what my MPG's will be like and will let you know after my next fill up which will probally be next week as I seem to drive a little over 100 miles a week on my scoot. The lack of instructions and parts listing written in some other language is a bit poor for the money these cost. Bought at Scooterworks.com. twharton's pictures help a lot. Thanks TW your pictures are great as well as your scoot.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Dibber wrote: Does anyone know of a way to add about 4" to a windscreen.
It's easy: buy the tall one! :mrgreen:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Well, I'm disappointed. I went up to SFSC today to get a windscreen, and they didn't have any. Yes, I called first, but they are not super organized, and thought they did have one. He did say that there will be some coming in "in a week," but who knows. On the plus side, I got to see the upstairs store room of SFSC, which has all sorts of cool old scooters in various states of disrepair, including some old Labretta's that look like they were racers in their previous lives.

I also visited SF BMW and reconfirmed that, even though it's not a scooter, I really want an F800ST.
BoneGirl

Tall vs short windshield

Post by BoneGirl »

Hi, Kevin,

Ben and I purchased both sizes of the Buddy windshields. I wouldn't have made it all winter without the tall shield. Off the subject, the first thing I liked about the tall windshield was once I put the mounting hardware on, it moved the mirrors out to the side making life much better.

The tall windshield was the make or break accessory for winter riding. It keeps the cold not only away from your face and chest but hands as well. I read a lot of discussion about speed, resistance, etc and to be honest, none of that is really a factor when it gets cold. You'll just be happy to keep the wind from biting when it gets really cold. I never noticed a difference at all. But once it started warming up, that thing had to come off because it gets super hot behind there.

The short windshield sucks to the max. :evil: Worst spent money ever. You are welcome to try mine and see what you think. :? I'm 5' 51/2" and the wind may be off your chest but it hits me right in the neck and chin. It is downright disturbing to be riding with the wind directed at your neck. You can't adjust anything, either. You ever been in an older car with all the windows open? There's a "thrumming" sound: that's all you hear with the short windshield. Horrible, I say. But I have ranted about this in other threads and will leave it at that. Get a tall one if you're interested in winter riding. It really will make a huge difference (even if you hear comments like "Wow! Nice riot gear on the front of your scooter!").
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Angie,

Wow - if I could try your short one, that would be great. If it works for me we can work out a deal and get you back some of that wasted money.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
SCOOTER SOLDIER

Post by SCOOTER SOLDIER »

I have the wsbud3 cuppini short windscreen from scooter works, I am 6'1" tall and I have zero complaints about this mod.

The wind hits my helmet right on the top but not noticeable to me, I just put my hand up when I was going about 50 mph to see where it was deflecting too..

Top end increased which also equates to improved fuel mileage.less drag equals better fuel mileage.

Handling is far superior at higher speeds, even on really windy days the scoot just cuts through the wind and now that I am not being blasted by the wind it is less fatigue on me when riding, still enough wind around you during hot temps and I am guessing this is going to allow me to ride in much colder temps, good winter riding gloves is the key, if your hands are too cold to brake and turn the throttle that could be a problem, I have ridden short distances like 5 miles or so in 30 degree temps with no windshield on my zx-50 and any further than that was a little uncomfortable......

I anticipate I will be able to ride on those 30 degree days my full commute to work due to adding the windshield....wee will see how my coldpro gloves stand up, I may have to upgrade to a better glove and then I will be set.

In summary the cuppini short windscreen was my best purchase to date.
ItalianBoy

Post by ItalianBoy »

I've been considering buying the short windshield, but it looks like it's getting very mixed reviews. I'm very aprehensive about shelling out $100 only to find out that I don't like it at all.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

At first I wasn't pleased with the short windscreen, the wind hit me in the face. I raised the windscreen and no help, I lowered the windscreen and the wind hits me in the shoulder/upper chest area which is much better then my face. I'm still getting very good coverage over the torso area and that helps in the cold mornings of Minnesota. The scooter is a much warmer machine to ride than the motorcycles I have had in the past. I was going to return it, but at a 20% restocking fee, I decided to keep it. I may try and fabricate longer windscreen bars so I can raise it about 6" higher then the stock bars. I will let you know how it works.
www.twincitiesrider.com
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

BoneGirl, What year is your Buddy? It looks like the tall windscreen is made for the 06 year scoot.
www.twincitiesrider.com
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Dibber wrote:BoneGirl, What year is your Buddy? It looks like the tall windscreen is made for the 06 year scoot.
2006. Hard to see well in the picture but I love the tall windshield once the cold weather hits.
Attachments
12-30-06 Brent, Debbie,Chris, Sharon and Kevinsmall.jpg
12-30-06 Brent, Debbie,Chris, Sharon and Kevinsmall.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

bonegirl, how many miles do you have on Buddy?

I've found some of your posted photos and enjoy seeing all the places you've been. Thanks.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

jetboy wrote:I came to realize last week (I called Scooterworks) that it has also been discontinued.

I don't really understand why it would be discontinued. It just came out! The other one is still a current item though (WSPRIMA1).

-jetboy
Update - The WSBUD3 is listed again on the scooterworks site, so I have no idea why the person I talked to said they were discontinued.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

jetboy wrote: Update - The WSBUD3 is listed again on the scooterworks site, so I have no idea why the person I talked to said they were discontinued.
-jetboy
I had been looking for the Cuppini WSBUD3 short windscreen for a few weeks but could not find it anywhere. So when I saw that it was available at scooterworks last week, I ordered it right away. I ordered it on Tuesday, it arrived on Thursday and I installed it on Saturday. I have only had it for a few days but so far I really like it. I especially like that the mirrors are better positioned for me.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

After reading these responses, I think I'm going to the tall windshield, and cut it down a bit.

I will only have it on in the winter, and the tall windshield is the only one that covers the hands.

From what I've heard, the tall one keeps you the warmest.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Has anyone tried a windshield from Slip Streamer? They make scooter and motorcycle windshield. They have been around since 1973 and I remember buying a couple for my cycles. They were of excellent quality.
www.slipstreamer.com will get you to their web site. I hope to visit their company in the next week or so to see if they fit the Buddy.
www.twincitiesrider.com
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Oh by the way, Thanks for answering Bonegirl. It's to bad that your tall windshield doesn't fit the 2007's due to the oversize headlight.
www.twincitiesrider.com
Keys

Post by Keys »

The tall windshield will cover your hands, but my experience is that the small one, although your hands aren't COVERED, will direct the wind AROUND your hands. I rode in a monsoon a couple weekends ago and the small windshield did a fabulous job of keeping me reasonably dry. It did NOT keep all the rain or wind off of me, but enough to keep me comfortable while everyone else on the rally suffered. It also is MUCH less suseptible to buffeting by heavy winds should they arise while you're out and about.

I suspect if I wanted complete protection from the elements, I'd drive a Buick.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

ryder1 wrote:bonegirl, how many miles do you have on Buddy?

I've found some of your posted photos and enjoy seeing all the places you've been. Thanks.
As of 10 minutes ago, 14,025 in 13 months. Scary, huh? I love this thing.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Windshield Experiences

Post by ScooterDave »

lobsterman wrote:I'm looking for your experiences with windshields on the Buddy.

Specifically, which windshield do have and what you think of it? Do you use it all the time or just in cold weather? How does it affect speed, handling, and susceptability to the cold?

I'm really not interested in this context about experience with other scooters or motorcycles. I am trying to decide whether to invest in a windshield for my 06 Buddy for use this coming cold weather season.

Thanks!
I have the flyscreen on the LX150 and enjoy it. I have had the full fairing on the Rally180 and it made a huge difference. It was easier to smoke while riding and my hands were not as cold. Unfortunately, it did not look cool enough to keep on the Rally.

Dave
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I put on a Cuppini Short windshield bought at Scooter Works, Part Number: WSBUD3 it will fit all Buddy's even the 2007 model. I like the way it cuts the wind off my chest, scooter handles much better at high speeds, but it is a bit short for me and the wind hits me in the face so I still need to wear a face shield on my helmet. Doesn't cut the wind off my hands but is makes colder weather rides more comfortable than without the shield. I'm hopeing to go to Slip Streamer this week and look at their Scout 40 and Scout 50 scooter windshields. Will let you know more about them if I can get over their.
www.twincitiesrider.com
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Never was a big fan of Slipstreamer.

Dave

--------------------------------------
80 p200e - Sold
79 P200e - Sold
71 Rally 180 - Sold
57 Allstate - Sold
57 Labretta - Sold
75 Triumph Trident - Sold
BMW R75/6 - Sold
82 Suzuki GS 550LZ - Sold
75 Honda 500 - Sold
93 EuroVan - Sold
82 Volvo 240GL - Sold
83 Volvo 240GL - Sold
86 BMW 528e - Sold
86 VW Golf - Sold
02 Passat Wagon - Sold
02 Focus Wagon - Sold
05 Jetta - Selling
81 Civic - Sold
06 Buddy - Wife hid
Last edited by ScooterDave on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EBee

Post by EBee »

So, Lobsterman....does all this help you any? I'm curious, what did you decide?

For what it's worth, I rode downtown today with my shorty screen and I don't think I would have been as comfortable without it...90 degrees one day, then 52 the next? What the hell??
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Haven't decided yet.

I do appreciate everybody's comments... seems to me after reading all these that it's a matter of personal preference and I don't see any real way to find out other than trying one.

I'm hoping to arrange for an in-place demo of the short screen Ben and Angie aren't using. If that works out I'll probably buy it from them.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

are the wind screens easy to install and take off so that you do not need them in the summer if you don't want them? I am debating getting one as well, probably the short one since I am pretty small and was wondering if I can instal it quickly on my own.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

BuddyLove wrote:are the wind screens easy to install and take off so that you do not need them in the summer if you don't want them? I am debating getting one as well, probably the short one since I am pretty small and was wondering if I can instal it quickly on my own.
You know, they're not too hard really. Just make sure you've got the right tools and remember that the right-hand mirror threading is reversed. I suppose you could get it down to 15 minutes or so when you get use to doing it. Pschologically, it is more daunting because I've got the mirrors right where I want them. So it has to do more with having to adjust them again if I take the windscreen off.

After having it for a while now, I'd say mine has really made riding noticibly more efficient, so I may not be taking it off when it warms up again. We can get some pretty crazed winds with the weather here in the afternoon here and the windscreen has made cutting thorugh those much easier.

-jetboy