Riding from San Diego to Los Angeles, any advice?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Plisar

Riding from San Diego to Los Angeles, any advice?

Post by Plisar »

Hi all,
I'm thinking of taking a trip to the LA from down here in San Diego, and can't figure out a viable route that doesn't go through Camp Pendleton? Any riders down here have any advice on how to do this? Has anyone had any luck going through Pendleton? Looking forward to your help!
boredgamelad

Post by boredgamelad »

I have heard, but not confirmed, that scooters under 150cc can be driven on the I-5 between San Clemente and Oceanside since there is no reasonable alternative route. I'm not even sure who you'd call to find this out--California Highway Patrol, I suppose?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Not true. No scooter under 150cc is allowed on any CA highway. There have been reports that bikes are now being allowed through camp Pendleton but this seems to be a bit hit and miss. You'd need to check with them. Failing that, the only other highway free route is to take a fairly lengthy detour inland.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Yeah, i was afraid of that. No way would I ever drive the scoot on that stretch of freeway. Well if nit Camp Pendleton, any ideas on the inland detour?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would check for this question on the san diego scooter squadron meetup board. There is some discussion there, in fact I think a trip is planned. Someone even does the trip on a 50.

I have done that stretch of 5 on the Vespa and cannot imagine doing it on anything less than a 250 (ie a 150). There are not many exits and people get going pretty fast.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Yeah the freeway is a dangerous place because of the high speed on-off ramp interchange lanes where most bikers die. I will only ride a motorcycle on the freeway that can easily make it over to the fastest left lane which is the safest. I spent as little time as possible on my motorcycle (B-1250) transitioning from and to the farthest left lane or carpool lane becasue transition lanes on a freeway are blind spot death traps where cars ram bikers accidentally.

I would fill out the paperwork to drive through Camp Pendleton and enjoy the peaceful view of the open spaces on base and from there take a local surface rout.

Personally I would never consider using a scooter for a long ride unless I was with a big (6+) scooter group which offers good presence and high viability plus emergency safety like breakdown and collision trauma.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Tip: Come up when we're having a ride. :)
http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I did it last August by going AROUND camp pendelton. That is through fallbrook and down the 74 to PCH in San Juan Capistrano.

It's a doosey. takes all dang day but it's a lovely ride. I wouldn't do it alone. Pull over and let cars pass frequently down the Oretga.

We stayed all weekend, did a rally and rode all over the place with Eric and Skootz. We ended up hauling back due to a valve stem fail on my friend's scooter but honestly, we couldn't imagine the 8hr ride it was gonna take to get home after all that.
westniner

Post by westniner »

I would not be confident in riding on the 5.

The inland route looks doable but I think as a return journey it would be a it too long for me do do as a day trip.

Thanks for the info.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

westniner wrote:The inland route looks doable but I think as a return journey it would be a it too long for me to do as a day trip.
And so - don't do it as a day trip. The secret of good scooter adventures is to not push it. If an overnight is required, then do it. Now where would be a good spot for a fun overnight?
Tee Jay

Riding from San Diego to Los Angeles,Any advice

Post by Tee Jay »

In 2010 I rode from Tijuana to Oregon on a Buddy 150. To get through Camp Pendelton you had to do the following:
Show motorcycle license
Show Registration
Show Proof of Insurance
Show proof of MSF course
Wear Long pants
Wear Ankle high boots or shoes
Wear thick long sleeve shirt
The year befor you had to wear a high visibility Mil-Spec vest
DOT helmet

When the guard passes you through, there are no signs on which way to go and It seemed like it was 20 miles. You end up at hwy 5 Cristianitos rd. (I think)
westniner

Post by westniner »

Excellent!

I'll try it through Pendleton.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

westniner wrote:Excellent!

I'll try it through Pendleton.
It's totally dependent on the guard of the day. Many more have been denied than let through. So have a plan B.

It's still no day trip. once through Pendleton it would take nearly 4 hours to snake up the PCH to Santa Monica, for instance. So you'll have about 6-8hrs in the saddle each way.
westniner

Post by westniner »

Reading posts on other forums they also seem to have strict hours during which they are willing to let riders through (9am-3pm on weekdays, 7-5 on weekends).

Back to the drawing board.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

westniner wrote:Reading posts on other forums they also seem to have strict hours during which they are willing to let riders through (9am-3pm on weekdays, 7-5 on weekends).

Back to the drawing board.
I've got about 6 hours of riding in me in a day. After than I'm not only not comfy but I see my reflexes and concentration go. So I wouldn't look at LA as a day trip. From SD you can get to Julian in that time - you can push to Borrego Springs. You can't go too far south without crossing the border and I've only done that once but with a rally - so lots of scooters.

You could go to San Juan Capistrano (around pendleton) in a day - a really long day. That would be a lovely ride.

ONCE - ill -planned we did Salton Sea and back in a day. That was closer to 10 hours and way too long! Palms Springs we stayed over night.

But there's lots to explore around here without a destination.

Happy Riding.

PS. if you haven't seen. Motorsports is doing the Toy Run this sunday. Just about every active rider in town comes out for that. Great place to meet ride buddies.
westniner

Post by westniner »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Unfortunately, I cannot do the Toy Run from MS as I am working that morning.

Hope you all have a great ride!