Just got a brand new 06 Blur but just 1 question so far

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cobrakev

Just got a brand new 06 Blur but just 1 question so far

Post by cobrakev »

I have read most of the messages on this forum for about 2 weeks now. I am still wondering about the performanve of my Blur. The first thing I did when I got it home was to mount a GPS. Unfortunatly I live in a very mountianous aera, (Draper UT inthe Salt Lake Valley) and in 1 day I have put 108 BDU on the milage. I am running at about 7000 rmp and getting 55 indicated on the Blur Speedo and about 45-47 on the GPS. Will this increase after break in? I am 6 feet and about 240.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You may see some modest improvement after break in. In particular, MPG will improve slightly over time. As far as top speeds go, was this on flat areas or on hills?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hi, Cobrakev,

Wecome to the Blur forums! I hear you about racking up the BDUs the first day you ride. I did the same thing in a desperate effort to break in a Blur all in one day, in traffic, in Portland, Oregon.

Two things.

First, lots of folks report that the Blur really does loosen up and go faster somewhere between 500-800 BDU. I don't recall if we've ever gotten a definitive number on exactly how much faster. You could use your new Blur and your GPS to provide us with that information. Maybe lay out a course and register a top speed now and then go back and do the same thing at 700 or 800 BDU, then we would have a number for your altitude.

Second, what is the altitude where you are riding? Higher altitudes take something off the performance of your motor. I am your general size and I've ridden the Blur in a lot of different conditions. In my experience, higher altitudes definitely take something off the Blur's performance. When we rode over the Continental Divide at (What was it? 9300 feet?), the Blur was chugging along hauling me straight up the mountain... at about 10 miles per hour. I weigh about 40 lbs less than you, but I was carrying enough gear to make up the difference, so it's a very fair comparison.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Agreed, just about everyone perceives a bit of an improvement after break-in, for me it seemed to pick up a little faster, not much diff in top speed. But that's all pretty unscientific. I weigh a bit more than you, and I can maintain 60 on the GPS on a flat highway with no wind, but i've noticed a big hill or a strong wind or a bit of extra cargo can easily knock 10 mph or more off my top speed, so little things make a big difference.

I bet altitude has a lot to do with it, too. Talk to your dealer, maybe adjusting the jetting in the carburetor would help.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
lilal801

Post by lilal801 »

I live In utah also in the south end and you will notice a deff in a more miles and if you rejet and pipe it you will get a huge improvement any any extras will help with my GPS I top out at 93 now but I have a lot done to mine
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

lilal801 wrote:I top out at 93 now but I have a lot done to mine
93 km/h? downhill? or by "a lot" do you mean you put a YZ450 motor in it?

A Blur wouldn't go 93mph if you pushed it off a cliff. : )

Please prove me wrong, in great detail, with photos, tolerances, and porting templates. : )
lilal801

Post by lilal801 »

yes 93 km . But hope to get more now that I just got nitrous for it . Up this high with a carb, re jet, pipe, intake, clutch, varitor, and belt (+ I olny weigh 125lb) 70-75 mph is pritty good scince most of the valley is hills and turns everywhere you go. down hill I get a little more but I think I need more heavy weights to get more top end and these # are off a GPS any thing I forget? sorry if any one thought they would go over 80 mph with out doing a bunch of work and spending some money.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

illnoise wrote:A Blur wouldn't go 93mph if you pushed it off a cliff.
True, that. I pretty much proved it riding down the other side of the Continental Divide, I ran it WFO down the steepest, longest hill I could find. At a certain point, the Blur let me know it wasn't happy by making a vibration that I hadn't felt before and didn't feel again afterward. I guess it was telling me that was as fast as it was willing to go. And then some. :wink:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

lilal801 wrote:yes 93 km.
93km/h=57.8mph, which is pretty much what it should be doing stock, isn't it? You're at a high altitude, but you're way lighter than me, so I'd expect you could do that without tuning.

70-75mph (which you say later in the post) is pretty sweet and seems possible with some tuning. That'd be fantastic, I wouldn't really have any desire to push it beyond that, NO2 is a bit much for me, ha.

Didn't mean to jump all over you, but that "93" shocked me a bit. : )

How did the tuning affect your mileage?