Winter riding

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ChitownDave

Winter riding

Post by ChitownDave »

Hi All,

I have been riding my scooter to work everyday since June.

Riding in the cold has been a learning experience.
My coldest ride to date was yesterday, 11°at 6:39am without
Wind chill factored in.

The most annoying part of ride was my eyeglasses fogging.
Everything else has been good, and the adrenalin rush is a great
Way to start my day.

Anyone else still riding? How do you deal with fog on the eyeglasses?
My helmet visor is fine, but just glasses.

Thanks
DAVID
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." Christ Jesus (Luke 6:31 ESV)
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

Dave,

The number one thing that has helped me riding into the cold weather was the installation of a windshield. Just not sure how one would look on the Blur, but it diffinately helps as I noticed an immediate difference (should allow me to ride through the winter as long as the roads are clear of snow & ice).

BTW, 11 degrees might just be enough to convince me to take the car...
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

I ride year round but it has been mid 60's for the past week.

Not sure how capable your charging system is but maybe getting a heated vest can help. I used one for years while riding my DR650 and I would ride in temps down to the 30's.

You must be a very warm blooded individual or have a short commute.

I also second the windshield.
ChitownDave

Post by ChitownDave »

Chessy1 & brianwheelies,

Thanks for the tips.
The windshield just arrived at Genuines warehouse,
Which I pass on the way home everyday.

I work 7 miles from home and I'm latino (hot blooded, lol)
I'm layered well and plan on buying a heated jacket and
Maybe gloves.

Any suggestions for foggy glasses?

Thanks
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." Christ Jesus (Luke 6:31 ESV)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

My favorite thing is called "slipstreamer windshield polish" get it at a motorcycle shop. They might have to order it in. Best "spray-on" anti-fog i have ever found. lasts about 2 weeks
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ChitownDave

Post by ChitownDave »

Thanks Vinney,

I will look into the product.

Btw, what type of pants do you winter riders wear?
David
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

Btw, what type of pants do you winter riders wear?
I use the same snow pants I use when I go skiing. Those along with a good pair of boots keeps me nice and warm, granted my ride is not too long. :D
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

and here I am worried about how to stay warm in my four mile commute in temperatures less than 40° :lol:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

If its REALLY cold, I wear silk long johns, work pants (carharts), and then overpants that can easily be zipped off. I have 2 pair. A hein Geriche leather overpants, very nice heavy leather, can be put on or taken off over regular pants very quickly. And also a pair of insulated cordura ones from tourmaster.

The overpants really are the key. You can get some good ones for under 100 bucks in the cordura type. The leather ones are more like $300
Sirkle Blu

Glasses fogging

Post by Sirkle Blu »

I, too, wear glasses. Fogging is a problem. I've had good luck using the Fog Evader:
https://www.denniskirk.com/sportstech/f ... 500352.prd

I've been using the Evader with a GMAX S44 Snowmobile helmet. It has dual lens on the visor and a breath guard.

My friend Chris up in Minnesota wears a Skidoo helmet. It's pricey but it works. He rides all winter long. He has a Ural. If you're curious about how that is for him he has a blog. There's some good info about gear. It's at:
http://www.everydayriding.org/

Riding in the cold is all about the gear. There is something really satisfying arriving home after a ride on a really cold day and being warm.

For me, besides the glasses fogging, the big problem was keeping my hands warm. Heated grips took care of that.

Good luck.
[/url]
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I usually ride whenever the roads are clean. below 20 is an experience!

I've given up on the glasses and just fold them into the glovebox. I wear thermal underwear, glove liners, cheap leather gloves (that will change by NEXT winter!), a baclava under the helmet, boots, and a hoodie under my jacket.

I have a short commute but I think next year some heated gloves might show up....
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Chicago-wise, look out for manhole covers, old trolley tracks exposed by frost heaves, piles of leaves, metal plates, bridges, stuff like that gets scary in the winter, even on a salted/clear/dry road, those tend to freeze over and have a sheet of ice on 'em. Even the painted lines on the road get slippery.

And the frost heaves go nuts all winter, they're like mini ramps that'll throw you into the curb or flip you right over. be careful, especially on right turns from the parking lane. One year on a Lake Shore Drive offramp, I hit one right in the middle of the lane at 40mph that honestly launched me two or three feet in the air. All that gymkhana jumping at rallies saved me on that one, ha.

And also take cab fare/train pass and have a backup plan to secure your bike overnight at work. If you commute to work in the clear but it craps down snow all day, it's way too tempting to say "eh, I don't wanna leave the bike here, I'll just ride home anyway." Riding in the snow/ice in Chicago traffic is suicide as far as I'm concerned. Leave the bike and wait for a good day to take it home.

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

No winter riding going on around here. No winter.
ChitownDave

Only 2nd time I don't ride

Post by ChitownDave »

Hey All,

Only 2nd time I don't ride to work. I hopped on the bus. it's not the cold but the snow that stops me. We're supposed to have 3-6 inches starting after I arrive at work.

I drove through a snowy side street 2 days ago, phew, A bit scary. Anyone using snow tires? I would like to try to ride through the snow.

David
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I live in the South so snow is almost never a problem. We can have ice sometimes if we have a freezing rain. Thankfully, we don't need or use road salt.

I don't know if I'd ride in 11 degrees or not. I've ridden in the 20s, though, and I can tell you that jeans stop being enough in the 30s. You can make things a little easier for yourself if you get some small bungies and loop them around your cuffs over your boots. You'd be surprised how much wind that cuts out.

I've only just recently gotten a real winter MC coat and I'm loving it. Now I'm looking for some winter MC overpants as well. I might just give some I've found in a cut-price catalog a try as I'm really trying to watch my pennies.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

illnoise wrote: Riding in the snow/ice in Chicago traffic is suicide as far as I'm concerned. Leave the bike and wait for a good day to take it home.

Bb
^^^ Yeah, I'll second that. I ride dirt bikes in the snow ( full knobbies) and that is one thing. But, street tires in the snow is just nuts. I have done it once or twice when I was younger, but yeah. Sometimes you just gotta know when to give in :)
ChitownDave

Post by ChitownDave »

This Chicago weather is crazy AND awesome! we had 7 inches of snow on Friday, a thunderstorm on Sunday with temps in the mid 40' s. Today it's 48° when I rode to work.

I use my frog toggs pants as a wind breaker with my dockers underneath, down to 10° it works fine.

David
TygerCub

I ride year round

Post by TygerCub »

I just bought my Blur a year ago and it's become my daily driver. I normally ride a motorcycle year round, but wanted something sporty and fun, so the Blur won.

A couple of things I've learned over the years...

Keep the wind off of you.
A windscreen is great for your upper body, but does nothing for your legs. No need for super bulky ski clothes, though. Just pull on a pair of lightweight water&wind proof rain pants. They really help conserve body heat. Same thing for your hands. Something as simple as a plastic bag over your gloves will help keep your hands warm too. Looks tacky as hell and the rattle is annoying, but it works until you can devise a pair of wind breaks for your grips.

Plain dish soap will help keep your face shield or glasses from fogging.
Rub a VERY LIGHT, even coating of dish detergent on the inside of your face shield, then buff with a paper towel. It works for about a week before needing to be replaced.

The rest is normal winter stuff. Namely layer your clothes & stay dry.

Have Fun!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Around the middle of July, go looking for a sale on a one-piece suit like the Firstgear Thermo Suit. It's super comfortable in the cold from about 15 degrees to about 50, and excellent in the rain to about 50 degrees. I think that I paid about $130 for mine two years ago and i wouldn't trade it for anything except a $700 Aerostich (which I dearly want, but no $). With the suit, heated grips/gloves/muffs, a Cyclone Buff and decent socks and heavy boots, I ride all the time in the Detroit winter (which ain't much this year!)
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

One of our local scooter sales employees rides year round whenever possible, but the snow defeats even his Blur at times.

Snow tires, etc, don't really do much for scoots. I believe it's mostly weight. There's no good thing to do but roll off the throttle as you pass through it. A big snow, well, you just shouldn't ride until it's clear.

I hate that answer, I really do, but it's the only safe one. Even if you could handle snow, the assclown behind you in a huge vehicle sure can't cope with stopping, being on the phone, watching a DVD and eating a cheeseburger.

It really only keeps me from riding a few days at a time here in CO, but some of the side streets don't clear up very well.
kitty

Re: I ride year round

Post by kitty »

TygerCub wrote:
Plain dish soap will help keep your face shield or glasses from fogging.
Rub a VERY LIGHT, even coating of dish detergent on the inside of your face shield, then buff with a paper towel. It works for about a week before needing to be replaced.
Also good on the bathroom mirror! :wink:
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.