Tie-Down Points

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JPL

Tie-Down Points

Post by JPL »

I'm moving in a few weeks and plan on loading the Stella into the back of the rental truck. Does anyone know of the appropriate tie-down points? I've been reading up a bit and noticed that motorcyclists recommend not putting the kick-stand down and getting a wheel block and then tying it down. Anyone with experience that can add their two cents would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm off to N. VA. Aside from very congested traffic, is the area very scooter friendly? Can someone recommend a good lock?

Thanks
viney266

Post by viney266 »

For a scooter I like to use a canyon dancer bar-harness. Its $30 and will last you a lifetime. Its the proper way to tie down the front of a scooter or sportbike. It slips over the ends of the handlebars and provides tie-down points. I have hauled bikes all over the U.s....my 2 cents

1.) Put the front tire STRAIGHT against an IMMOVABLE object ( the front of the pick-up bed or trailer will do nicely. Use a board against it if you need to gain a few inches for fender clearance. A hoop to keep the wheel from moving left to right is a plus here, but not a necessity.

2.) Put the bike in gear if possible (helps keep it from moving)

3.) DO NOT put it on the kickstand or center stand. TIRES on the ground.

4.) Use one quality ( I like Ancra) tie-down on both the left and right handlebar. Run the tie-downs to 2 anchor points on the floor, as far out at an angle as possible from the bike/scooter attachment points. The can't just be over the end of the handlebars, they can slip off. Hooked on a triple tree top or bar harness is a MUST!

5.) Now , have a buddy push down on the front suspension of the scoot to compress it as your helper pulls the tie-downs tight. You can do this alone, but it takes practice. Now the suspension is trying to stand "back-up" but the tie-downs are holding it in place under pressure from the front springs. No need to bottom the suspension, just tight.

6.) This will do for short distance. For a rough road or longer trip...

7.) Tie the rear in place with one or 2 tie-downs to keep the rear from hopping around. A "rail" such as found on a bike specific trailer helps here , but again isn't a necessity. Hook onto a solid anchor point on the scooter.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

like this
Attachments
load grrr 2.JPG
load grrr 2.JPG (61.2 KiB) Viewed 804 times
like this2.jpg
like this2.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 802 times
Last edited by viney266 on Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

but not this. :lol:
Attachments
dumb 2.jpg
dumb 2.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 803 times
noodoggy

Re: Tie-Down Points

Post by noodoggy »

JPL wrote:I'm moving in a few weeks and plan on loading the Stella into the back of the rental truck. Does anyone know of the appropriate tie-down points? I've been reading up a bit and noticed that motorcyclists recommend not putting the kick-stand down and getting a wheel block and then tying it down. Anyone with experience that can add their two cents would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm off to N. VA. Aside from very congested traffic, is the area very scooter friendly? Can someone recommend a good lock?

Thanks
Harbor Freight Tools is having a sale and they have a motorcycle chock for something like around 20 or 25 bucks...that would be good for stabilizing the stella
JPL

Post by JPL »

Thanks everybody. Great visual aids....
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I just had to include the last image :wink:

Came across it while looking for a good pic of doing it the right way.