Changing the Mirrors

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

FormerStella

Changing the Mirrors

Post by FormerStella »

Does anyone know a good mirror that can replace stock? I really can't stand the stock mirrors, and neither can my in-laws (they have the 50).
"But not a real green dress, that's cruel!"
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Yeah. I hate my mirrors too. I want chrome ones that have longer arms but still a round mirror. Something that is definitely convex... not just wavey! Any good websites out there to order from? Are all the mirrors a generic fit?

PS FormerStella... I love your BNL quote. :wink:
Laura
toga28

Post by toga28 »

JC Whitney has some decent looking mirrors. From what I know, most mirrors on scooters & cycles have the same standard screw-in connection.
-Andy Moore
Orange Buddy 125
Covets thy neighbor's Stella
FormerStella

Post by FormerStella »

Props to you, golfingirl for recognizing the BNL quote. I was wondering if anyone would catch it or say anything if they did.
"But not a real green dress, that's cruel!"
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

The mirrors on the Buddy are 8mm with a standard thread on the left and reverse thread on the right. (From the drivers POV.) Which I understand to be a little unstandard. I think Yamaha is the only major manufacturer to do the reverse thread on the right trick.
I've been looking for quite a while for something longer with no success. I've stolen the bar end mirror off of my bicycle and mounted on the left side and have been very happy so far.
Attachments
Mountain Mirrorcycle
Mountain Mirrorcycle
MOUNTAIN_MIRRORCYCLE.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Try the KYMCO mirrors.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Important: The right hand mirror is reverse thread. Don't buy any mirrors unless the right one is reverse thread.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Eton Beamer mirrors also work.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks all for the advice. I shall check out those sites. Let ya know what I find.
Props to you, golfingirl for recognizing the BNL quote. I was wondering if anyone would catch it or say anything if they did.
That's 'cause I'm Canadian, eh? :shhh:
Laura
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Another question for y'all. Has anyone added mirrors to their scooter that either have lights (LED) for improved visibilty or turn signals? Is this even possible? :?
Laura
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

It should be possible, if they exist.

If not, you could make them... Just some simple wiring knowledge would be required. :)
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Check out this thread. A member used Kymco mirrors on his custom Buddy.

Personally, I like the look of chrome mirrors over plastic ones but it's all about being able to see behind you, I guess. :wink:

As far as mirrors with signals on them, I have never seen these but if you did get plastic mirrors with some kind of hollow stem or cover going to the headset it would be fairly easy to mount some LEDs wired to the turn signals. This is commonly done in the back for lights mounted on top cases.
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

We have some of these in stock from the Tn'G Milano. I have a feeling the threads might be a hair smaller and might not have the reverse thread on the right, but I can check today. They aren't expensive and probably would be a piece of cake to hook up considering the turn signal wires are already right there.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
castleton

Post by castleton »

Here are some mirrors with built-in turn signals on E-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

(cut & paste the whole darn string)

Not sure if "universal" includes the right reverse threading, so I won't spring for these, but I found them last night when searching for new rearview mirrors.

I kinda like the chrome, but since I'm getting a black rear rack (yeah right, in my dreams!) and my mats are black, I'll probably check out the Kymco ones. I want a little wider range of viewing. :?
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

castleton wrote: Not sure if "universal" includes the right reverse threading, so I won't spring for these, but I found them last night when searching for new rearview mirrors.
"Universal" may mean 10mm; that seems to be the most common size. JC Whitney has some 10mm mirrors with LED signals here. So there may be one with an 8mm screw out there, somewhere...