tire pressure?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmo2771

tire pressure?

Post by kmo2771 »

What is the ideal tire pressure for 175 lbs rider?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's some debate and discussion, but I'd say 25psi front/28psi rear. You don't want to inflate them over 30, measured when tires are cold.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I keep mine around 27. 30 (recommended) makes the road really harsh. Anything below 25 it starts to feel sluggish.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Ericcalm said: There's some debate and discussion, but I'd say 25psi front/28psi rear. You don't want to inflate them over 30, measured when tires are cold.

Ericcalm, thanks for the info. What would you say for a 240 lb rider? Does your formula go up or down?

Thanks, Ed
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

The theory behind keeping the front tire @ a lower pressure than the back one, is that if you hit an object in the road, the front tire absorbs the shock better, and won't react as severe as it would at a higher pressure.

Did that make sense? :?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ed Hit wrote:Ericcalm said: There's some debate and discussion, but I'd say 25psi front/28psi rear. You don't want to inflate them over 30, measured when tires are cold.

Ericcalm, thanks for the info. What would you say for a 240 lb rider? Does your formula go up or down?

Thanks, Ed
I'm not sure how much it would really change. Try starting at 25/28 and see how they ride. Some of it is comfort and feel, but at a certain point you're risking a blowout, slide or other problem by overinflating. I can't say precisely where that point is... and I'd like to avoid finding out firsthand. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

I have only put 60 miles on my Buddy and had it just over a week. Yesterday - I noticed the ride in general felt different, a little slow and slightly 'wobbly'. After I got home and let the tires 'cool' for a few hours I checked to tire pressure and both the front and back seem really low... front was about 22 and back about 20 - which is odd.

Is it normal to need to fill the tires weekly? I have a pump with a gauge built in, so it isn't a big deal, just curious if this is expected or if maybe I have a problem.
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

heavier rider more psi.

im 250 with my gear on. i run 30 lbs.

low psi can lower mpg
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

rickyd410 wrote:The theory behind keeping the front tire @ a lower pressure than the back one, is that if you hit an object in the road, the front tire absorbs the shock better, and won't react as severe as it would at a higher pressure.

Did that make sense? :?
The rear tire requires higher pressure because there's more weight over the rear wheel.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

10gallonhat wrote:I have only put 60 miles on my Buddy and had it just over a week. Yesterday - I noticed the ride in general felt different, a little slow and slightly 'wobbly'. After I got home and let the tires 'cool' for a few hours I checked to tire pressure and both the front and back seem really low... front was about 22 and back about 20 - which is odd.

Is it normal to need to fill the tires weekly? I have a pump with a gauge built in, so it isn't a big deal, just curious if this is expected or if maybe I have a problem.
If you have temperature changes, both up or down, the tire pressures can change on you. I almost always check my scooters' tires before using them, and the Buddy's usually remain good for several weeks at 24F, 28R PSI.
I weigh 220 (dressed) and I find these tire pressures just right for me, not too harsh, not too soft. Just right...! :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

26 front / 28 rear .... had mine since early August and only put air in right after I got it ...

(Ive checked it .... just dont need to add air)
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash