Cross country trip planning

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tempalte

Cross country trip planning

Post by tempalte »

Hi,

I am thinking about taking my Blur 150 cross country this summer, from Kansas City to the west coast. Once I get to the coast, I may just fly back home.

I am just starting to plan the trip. Any ideas on how long it would take to go from KC to the west coast? I am thinking I would ride about 6+ hours each day. Last year I rode to South Dakota and back, averaging about 300 miles per day. But since I zig zagged, taking less traveled roads, 300 miles on a scooter is not as far as 300 miles in a car.

Also any suggestions on what would be the best scooter friendly route? My initial thought is to take a northern route: Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon.

thanks
chad
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I can add that 250-300 a day is a nice pace. I have done over 500, but it wear on you and you don't want to do it everyday.

Camping or hotel?

Do you want to tick to 2 lane backroads?

The biggest thing for long trips is preparing for iffy weather or any issues. So just make sure the bike and you are both ready. Me?, I always carry a couple extra 100 dollar bills. They also tend to get you out of headaches. LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

As someone who's done it several times on a motorcycle, there are some things to consider when it comes to a scooter.

-Fatigue. Small bikes ROCK! But, they do have a downside. The smaller tires and shorter wheelbase means that they will not be as smooth or comfy. This is just the nature of the beast. You will get wore out faster riding it than any other bike, and this could impact how much ground you cover in a day

-Speed. While a bike may have a top speed of 65mph (for example), road conditions, weather, altitude and other bits may actually lower your overall average speed. I would say calculate at least 10 minutes for every hour break (on average) plus an average speed of 45mph for a 125/150 scooter. That will start to give you a more accurate idea of just what it may take.

-Look for others who have done long distance travel on scooters. There are several out there (even a guy on here who took a Rattler 110cc from the East Coast to Alaska!). Their experience can be a TON of help!

-Start with short day trips of 100 to 200 miles or so. Just enough to get there and get back. Then, as you get more comfy with the idea, start adding on the luggage and kit that you determine you will need. By doing this, you can find out if your stamina, gear arrangement and bike are fit for the trip. And with shorter jaunts you can make adjustments as needed instead of having to rethink everything while on the road of the "big day"

-Get in shape!! Even if it's a "slow" bike, riding cross country is a physically demanding event even if it looks like you're just sitting there. Cramps and fatigue are a very real thing, and by working out and getting that cardio rate up will help alleviate many issues. Also, if you do happen to take a spill out there on the trip, being in fit health will lessen the risk of serious injury.

Is it possible? HELL YES!!! Everyone should do at least one cross country trip on *some* sort of machine. But it is something that needs to be done with a little forethought and research. There are plenty of ways to go about it, but you're doing the right thing by researching it first instead of assuming it will be easy because it is on a scooter. From personal experience, the smaller the bike the harder the journey. I remember that a trip on my GTS250ie for 500 miles was far more wearing than a 1500 mile trip on my Triumph
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
tempalte

Post by tempalte »

Camping. Small roads, mostly 2 lane.

Like I said, last year I rode round trip from Kansas City to South Dakota, over 1,500 miles. I camped at city parks, county parks, state parks and national forest land. I was surprised how many camp areas there were.

That took me 6 days of riding. I am thinking 8 days to the coast? I also am looking for suggestions on what a good destination is.
viney266 wrote: Camping or hotel?

Do you want to tick to 2 lane backroads?
LOL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cross country trip planning

Post by jrsjr »

tempalte wrote:Also any suggestions on what would be the best scooter friendly route? My initial thought is to take a northern route: Nebraska, Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon.
What you are describing there is the 2006 Cannonball route in reverse. It basically followed Routes 20 & Route 26 along the route described on the Road Trip USA site (also a print book) as "The Oregon Trail." Portland is a terrific choice as a fly-home destination.

EDIT: Because because premature senility caused me to get the year wrong. :roll:
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

On road trips I aim for 100 or so miles per day. At least in Michigan that usually gets me from one state park to another. That's on a 50cc with a max speed of 40mph, so adjust accordingly, but it allows me the time needed to enjoy the places I'm riding through, not just get through them. I discovered that my actual average speed is only about 20mph, between stops for meals, refueling, sightseeing, rosesmelling, etc. I've done 200 miles in a day a couple times, and it wasn't horrific or anything, but they were long and tiresome days, which kinda missed the point of why I was taking the trip. So my recommendation is to take as long as you can.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

just for reference sakes, the cannonball this year is 8 days from Savannah to San Diego, with 5 days trip from Lufkin, TX to San D. Lufkin is almost directly south of KC. We're pushing close to 350 miles each day, which is very doable. This will be my first cross country trip, and first trip longer then 2 days. I did a 700 miles loop of the Chesapeake Bay last fall, but I did take a lot of time on frequent rest stops, so I could've easily done 450 mile days. I wasn't up to that yet. 300-350 is very feasible. Proper planning will help you out a thousand times over.

* I'm a virgin long distance rider myself, so these are tips I've picked up among my research, and several I've already utilized.... there are a lot of experienced long distancers on here who will have advice as well *

- Like neotrosky said, start off with some training runs. I'm planning to do a 350 mile trip out to the Eastern Shore to test out my gadgets and apps, and to minimize breaks and make the best time. Once you get into a rhythm that works, stick with it. While you don't need to be racing for time, you should be disciplined with your breaks. A 30 minute meal break every hour and half will really eat away your day.

- On the flipside, you need to make efficient rest stops. Obviously peeing, refueling, re-caffeinating, and grabbing a snack are the best things to be doing, try to avoid talking on or fiddling with your phone the entire time, that is not very conducive with relaxing.

- Plan meal breaks ahead of time. Using sites like Yelp, Yahoo local, and other online resources to find good deli's, cafe's and diners will help you avoid having to resort to fast food, or gas stations because you are out of options. Also pack some clif bars, dry fruit, nuts, and other "trail food".

- Stay hydrated!! This is very easy to overlook, but you said summer, and by the time you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. Get a good camelpak to wear under your reflective vest and sip on every couple of minutes. Little sips, try to avoid "chugging". Electrolyte drinks are also suggested.

- Plan your fuel stops. On my Buddy 125, my range is about 100 miles, so I'll be bringing an extra plastic fuel can with me, you should do the same.

- Keep your family and friends informed. Install a tracking app on your smartphone, email your trip itinerary to family and friends, then check in every 100-200 miles with a quick text or through FB. If something bad were to happen, at least they have a general idea where you're supposed to be.

- Dress and pack appropriately. Cotton can bog you down and give you swamp ass that will last the entire day. Get some good dry-fit underwear and clothes that can wicker away perspiration. Pack as lightly as possible, if you need more clothes when you get to the WC, consider shipping a suitcase ahead of time.

- Plan your route appropriately. Try to avoid large towns and cities, those come with obvious ways that will slow your trip down substantially. Small towns are good for rest stops and fuel, but it might take you a considerable amount of time to ride through Denver and all its suburbs. If you're looking to go that way and have the time, then rock on! Google Earth is a great resource for finding alternate routes and whether or not certain roads are paved. Many in the mountain states are not.

Good luck, keep us posted when you go.... we all enjoy reading ride reports and seeing pictures! Which way I would go?? probably northwest, passing by Chimney Rock, the Grand Tetons, Columbia Gorge, then ending in Astoria Oregon.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

The OP is asking for route advice, not really long distance riding tips. He's already done 1500 miles in 6 days; I would say he knows what he's doing.

I have no advice on a route from KC to the west coast. As far as a final destination, how about northern CA and up? Or aim for Vancouver and ride back across Canada? All depends on how much time you have.

You mention Idaho and Oregon. I'd love to do that. Get yourself a bunch of gazetteers and start planning.

Good luck, take pics, and write it up to share!
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I'd suggest getting up to US-30 and riding the Lincoln Highway. It runs parallel to I-80 along the Platte River through Nebraska, and I assume it continues to do so for most of the western half of its route. It is a major motorcycle and bicycle touring route, and towns are reasonably spaced. On the Blur, you should be fast enough to keep up with any traffic you'd find on the highway.

http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/

CAVEAT -- I have never ridden it on a bike, but the bikers I have seen always look like they are enjoying themselves.