how about some gas mileage reports?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

how about some gas mileage reports?

Post by birdmove »

I'm waiting to hear some miles per gallon stats on the Buddy. I have to replace my scooter, since I just yesterday gave my 2006 Honda 49cc Ruckus to my daughter for trasportation at college. That little Ruck was averaging 103-105 mpg.I'm holding off deciding until I hear more about the Buddy.
Last edited by birdmove on Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
jess

Post by jess »

I haven't been through a whole tank of gas yet, but I'm guessing that it won't be as high as the Metro or the Ruckus. I also did the hard-knocks break in, so the fuel economy on this first tank will probably be lower than normal.
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

Picked up my Buddy 125 Friday afternoon, and the tank was full, but not sure how full; the needle was just up to the edge of the block on the full side of the gauge, but not over. I put 121 miles on it over the weekend, and the gauge needle was on the Empty peg. Filled it all the way, put in 1.309 gallons, and the needle is now all the way over to the Full side, a bit to the right of where it was the first time. Fun weekend!!
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

That seems to work out to be about 93mpg. That would certainly be really excellant for a 125cc scooter with a cvt trans I believe. To speak in terms of motorcycles (my two wheel ride for the last 42 years), had a 1984 HD Sporster 100cc that I got 65 mpg; a 1990 Kawasaki EX500/Ninja that got 66mpg;a 2005 Kawasaki KLR650 that is getting 56mpg; a 2006 Honda 49cc Ruckus that is getting 104.3mpg. I had a 1990 Geo Metro 5 speed hatchback with the little three cylinder engine that averaged 56mpg over the 160,000 miles that I owned it.
I am replacing the scooter that I gave to my daughter, and since I still ride motorcycles too, I want one that gets excellant mpg. The Ruck, as I said , gets 104. But if the 125cc Buddy can get, say, 90mpg, then I might consider one.Now if it only gets, say, 60mpg, then that wouldn't move me to buy one. A 250cc motorcycle (as in a Kawasaki KLR250 that I had), can easily get 65mpg, and got over 80mpg during the break in period when I was taking it really easy (not going over 30mph). After break in, that bike could cruise at 65 and still had quite a bit of throttle left.
If I'm going to ride a scooter, it needs to get great fuel economy, since the average scooter is much slower than the average motorcycle.Not to put down scooters at all, but I just so happen to come from a motorcycle background. Most scooters are smaller in engine displacement. There aren't many under 250cc street legal motorcycles, but most scooters seem to be under 250cc, and many are 50cc.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
jess

Post by jess »

birdmove wrote:If I'm going to ride a scooter, it needs to get great fuel economy, since the average scooter is much slower than the average motorcycle. Not to put down scooters at all, but I just so happen to come from a motorcycle background.
I hear this from motorcyclists (and ex-motorcyclists) a lot. The ones that try scooters, and I mean really give them a fair go, almost universally say that the scooter is more fun, that they grin the whole time they're riding, that the speed that motorcycles can attain is very much secondary to the fun that can be had with a scooter. At least, one that can perform relatively decently -- there's a limit, obviously, and the 50cc Honda offerings, IMO, don't have the same fun-factor as something a bit faster.

I myself have a Moto Guzzi Nevada 750. Quite a decent and fun motorcycle, by most accounts. Riding a scooter is an entirely different experience, and one that I spend pretty much grinning the whole time.

But that's just me. And all the ex-motorcyclists. ;)
ruthjenkins

Great gas mileage

Post by ruthjenkins »

I just bought my Buddy 125 last Saturday. I had a People 50 and my partner has a Stella and we were just going into Scooterworld to buy a quart of oil! I saw the pink Buddy, test drove it and bought it!!! I've been riding it all week there are 135 miles on it so far (I have a full time job otherwise there would be more!). I filled up my gas tank on Friday and put in exactly 1 gallon and there were 106 miles on it at the time. (When I purchased it there were 6 miles on it). All of my driving is city driving so I'm very pleased. :D :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jess wrote:...Riding a scooter is an entirely different experience, and one that I spend pretty much grinning the whole time.

But that's just me. And all the ex-motorcyclists.
What Jess said.

Sign Me,
Ex-Motorcyclist in Richmond :wink:
tomstaggs

Post by tomstaggs »

I also did the hard-knocks break in, so the fuel economy on this first tank will probably be lower than normal.
Jess what does that entail compared to a regular break in. I probably can guess but inform me anyway

Thanks

ts
jess

Post by jess »

tomstaggs wrote:Jess what does that entail compared to a regular break in. I probably can guess but inform me anyway
There's an opposing (and somewhat controversial) break-in philosophy that states that you have about 20 miles to properly seat the piston rings to the cylinder wall. This page goes into more details on the subject. It will be a bit of an experiment (although not a very scientific one) to see how this method performs on the Buddy. Lacking any kind of a control, though, it'll still be tough to say whether this is any better or worse than the traditional soft break-in approach.
Domino

Hard knocks break-in

Post by Domino »

Can anyone who is doing the hard break in let us know how it's going? I checked out that website, and idea seems plausible. After talking with some people, I have heard from a few others about hard break-in. These other people think that is the way to go also. I am still not so sure. It would be really nice to be able to do that. I will have to either take a truck down to pick up my Buddy when I get it, or ride it back. Riding it would be preferable if only for the gas mileage.
jess

Post by jess »

Without a proper control group, it's going to be difficult for me to say that the hard break-in that I did is better or worse or just the same. At best, I could probably say that nothing bad happened, but that's about the only conclusion one could draw from a sample size of one.
Chasen

<----Doing the Hard Break In

Post by Chasen »

Okay, I bought my Buddy on Tuesday night with 9.3 miles. They filled it up and I've put 100 miles on it in 2 days. I filled up 1.37 gallons after travelling 120 miles. That's not the best gas mileage (80+) but I was rough on it.

Opening it up immediately at a green light, going to 60 and then backing off, throughout the first tank.

The way I see it, is if they're going to offer a two-year manufacturer's warranty then I'm going to take it to the limit.

So I'm a fan. This was a great purchase and it will save me so much on fuel, insurance and parking.
Turning Heads, Saving Money and Having Fun!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

right around 80 miles per gallon, first tank, city driving. I imagine it will only get better. I put the good stuff in (93) so I will see how it goes. I am not sure what the scooter shop put in.
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Afer a couple of false starts on the gas pump (the gas opening is much smaller than on my Met), I put in 1.13 gallons, and drove 111 miles. So assuming I lost some gas in the backsplash, I think I got almost exactly 100 mpg. I can definitely wear this shirt now... http://www.cafepress.com/girlbike/1622688
Attachments
100 mpg shirt.jpg
100 mpg shirt.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Ok so this topic prompted me to go out and go for a ride so I could finish off my tank and reply. I took a very nice ride down A1A (the coastal road) and then back up route 1 (incase I needed to stop at a gas station). It was about 30 miles round trip. I finally was on empty at 187 miles. I filled up previously at 82 miles so thats about 105 for a tank. Now the only thing I cant tell you is how much I put in when I filled up last time because I lost the receipt. I kept it this time and I will let you know after this tank exactly how far I got.
OkieBuddy

100 mpg

Post by OkieBuddy »

I wanted to wait until the break in period to check mileage and post it. I had my oil and filter changed around 500 miles from my dealer. I changed my gear oil and used synthetic 85w140 Royal Purple.

Filled my tank at 609 miles Sunday, rode to the country, the mall, Starbucks, and Lowes, back to the country and home, at 710 mile, filled up again and added 1.008 gallons. That's 100.19 mpg, to be exact.

I did not exactly do the easy break-in, went over 50 mph a few times before the 300 mile breakin, did a few full throttles, and went 65 mph trying to outrun a rain storm last week.

I have over 745 miles on it now and it really seems to take off nicely and ramp up quite easily to 50-55. I plan on changing my oil as soon as my oil filter arrives this week and put Royal Purple synthetic 15w40 in the crankcase. My dealer put 10w40 wt oil, and changed the oil filter upon my request. They did not have 15w40 and said it was not necessary. I want my little scooter engine and drive train to perform at it's best and recommend synthetic.

If mileage increases, due to synthetic, I will post it. Love to Scoot!
Jim
OkieBuddy

New Mileage Report with over 1,000 miles on my Buddy

Post by OkieBuddy »

I just checked my mileage again today and got 103 mpg. I had 1058.9 before fillling my tank, added 0.927 gallons with 1154.5 miles.

This thing just keeps getting better. It cost $2.67 to fill up, I love that about my Buddy!!! :D
Jim
songprayer

Post by songprayer »

just got my "barbie bike" 10 days ago - it had 6 miles on it - it now has 187 miles on - i drive 17 miles, each way, to work every day. i filled the tank at 12.8 miles (wanted to guage the mileage) and filled up at 129 miles with 1.14 gallons - approximation 100 mpg - :lol:
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

On the first full tank I drove 124 miles with lots of gunning it at lights and erratic, rapid accelerating. Just got gas and REALLY topped off the tank. I know I topped it off more than I did the first time, meaning I more than replaced the gas that was burned which lowered my mpg a tiny bit less than actual.
I wasn’t quite on empty so got in 1.26 gallons……. Result: 98.4 mpg.

Passed the license test yesterday aftnoon!!! Now I can give my Babe a ride!!

Got my Buddy “Ebsen� last Saturday and have 160+ miles….you just can’t stop! It’s 10 miles to work but I haven’t managed to drive home w/out getting lost yet.

Great to read everyone’s enthusiasm and ideas on this site! Thanks for the info.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Getting lost is half the fun :clown:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
sparty

Post by sparty »

How am I supposed to fill up the gas tank? I filled mine up over yesterday and only got 3/4 full. Probably because I shoved the novel all the way it. This is going to screw up my mileage calculation... :oops: How far am I supposed to shove it in?
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

sparty wrote:How am I supposed to fill up the gas tank? I filled mine up over yesterday and only got 3/4 full. Probably because I shoved the novel all the way it. This is going to screw up my mileage calculation... :oops: How far am I supposed to shove it in?
If you stay consistent each time, you'll get very accurate gas numbers, especially if you're using the same station and the same pump. If you put it all the way in, fill it till the first click, and stop, you'll get to the 'full' point -- as far as that pump is concerned -- and that should stay the same.

That said, I was nice to my Buddy for the first 20 miles and have since been flogging the crap out of the poor guy (IMO, anyway).

My first tank: 104.8 miles and 1.111 gallons. 94.33 on the first tank.

How kick ass is that?! 8) :D
Huh? What just happened?
Bert

gas milage

Post by Bert »

I read that Buddy will do 70; and I read that Buddy gets 100 mpg; I doubt that you get them both at the same time.
Havn't scootered since '42
Scootin Scott

Post by Scootin Scott »

I now have 250 miles on my Buddy 50. At my last tank fill, I calculated 104 mpg.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

At about 450 miles, I've been averaging about 98 mpg. But I'm not judicious at all with my application of the throttle. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Most 125cc 4-strokes will get in the 80-90mpg range. If you are easy on the throttle, I'm sure 100mpg is possible, which sounds correct based on the stories here. I know most speedometers are a little optimistic (typically around 7%). There's a chance that the odometers are a little optimistic as well, which would mean if you were getting an indicated 100mpg, it might actually only be about 93mpg. However, some people feel that even if the speedometer is off, that the odometer is still accurate. Either way you look at it, the gas mileage rawks!
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I finally got nearly 100 mpg..but it the odemeter is off....My husband says the best he has got is a little over 80 MPG. we do a lot of stop and go city traffic which may make it worse. either way, it is a lot better then the car!
rajron

93.4mpg (corrected)

Post by rajron »

Well I have been telling everyone I get over 100mpg now I’m having to revise that statement to “I get around 100 mpg.�
I did a quick check on my odometer comparing it with a GPS and got a correction factor of 0.92. I have stock tires and pressures are correct when cold.
I have been collecting gas receipts and totaled them for the last 1000 miles or so.
Anyway I have been getting about 93.5 mpg (corrected) over those 1000 miles. Actually it turns out I haven’t really gone 1000 miles yet even though the odometer says I went 1029.7.

93.5 mpg for me
germ

Buddy 50

Post by germ »

Buddy 50cc: I got 90 miles on my first tank of gas. I rode for 2 hours straight with lots of hills and stop signs. For the few dollars it cost to fill it up I am not at all concerned about an extra possible 10-20 mpg. I am more than satisfied.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Yea I need to add I'm still lovin it and I am very pleased with the gas milage
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

On my 50, my first tank was 86 mpg. But I have been realy beating on it. Lots of stop and go in city traffic.

Anyway , I don't really care. Whatever it is, it's better than the 11mpg I get with the work truck.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I think I have been getting about 90-95 mpg and I'm not too easy on the throttle off the line.

Can anyone tell me the best way to calculate the gas consumption (aka mpg) without the use of a tripometer? Everyone seems to have very accurate numbers and I would like to do the same. Thanks.
Laura
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

The dealer gave me 1/4 of a tank, and I got about 20 miles on that.

But the best part: $3.20 to fill up. I'm worried that I might have to start paying cash if gas prices go down, since I don't carry cash. (Cash is so 20th century...)

You heard that right: I'm worried about gas prices going DOWN.
Not really from Iceland.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

golfingirl wrote:I think I have been getting about 90-95 mpg and I'm not too easy on the throttle off the line.

Can anyone tell me the best way to calculate the gas consumption (aka mpg) without the use of a tripometer? Everyone seems to have very accurate numbers and I would like to do the same. Thanks.
You can do the same using the regular odometer. Note the mileage at your next fill up (1), then again at your subsequent fill (2). Subtract (1) from (2), and divide by the gallons from fill (2)- instant MPG. 8)
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Thanks VitaminC. That's what I have been doing. Just making sure tha's the best way. Cheers!
Laura