Scooter riding in traffic

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

macgawd

Scooter riding in traffic

Post by macgawd »

Since I'm new to the whole scooter thing (don't have one yet, but plans are in the works), I was curious about how regular traffic responds to your presence on the roads?

These scooters are, by comparison, pretty small, even by motorcycle standards, and where I live speed limits are more like suggestions. I've never ridden anything this small and slow in normal traffic before, and I'm a little nervous about being seen. The main route I will be riding has a lot of 4-lane, 45-50 mph roadways. How does the traffic situation measure up in the various places where everyone lives?

Michael
castleton

Post by castleton »

The longest trip I've taken was driving home from the scooter store; this was a bit over 60 miles, on 2-lane back roads, mostly. However, there were 2 stretches of state highways that were 45 mph (posted). I rode the speed limit (ok, got it up to 50 a couple of times :wink: and found that the other drivers respected my space well. Once I pulled into a gas station because I saw a guy coming up fast behind me and didn't want to tangle with him, so I let him pass before getting back on the road.

People were very friendly here in CT; I had 2 folks in cars wave me into traffic when I was turning left out of a parking lot and the line for the light was backed up. Everyone was giving the Buddy the once-over, too!

Plus, being orange has its visibility perks.
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
OkieBuddy

Good Response so far

Post by OkieBuddy »

I live in OKC and have had nothing but good reponses from traffic in heavy traffic to country traffic. The Buddy looks get everyone's attention. My wife and I ride a lot together, so that probably helps too.

I ride alone everyday 14 miles to work, in morning heavy traffic in town, to a nice lake drive, where I work at the water treatment plant.

Just drive like no one sees you, will always pull out in front of you and never assume anything. So far so good, time is the test. The statics I received from the Basic Rider's Course, said the first 6 months is when the most accidents occur. When I reach my 7th month, I will feel like I am succeeding, but not take down my guard, ever!
Jim
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

I live in south florida with mostly three lane roads and seemingly suggested speed limits. To be honest I have had no problems. People seem to love my little pink scooter and seem nicer and more aware then when I am in my Mitsubishi Lancer. I had a girl in a Beamer roll down her window on Sunday asking me about my scooter and I realize she is relaying all the information to her friend on her cell phone about this girl who is on this rockin pink scooter. I thought it was cool. I take it to work most days on a 3 lane 45mph road with no problems. I stay aware and watch out for the 90 yr olds who are still driving.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I pretend like everyone is drunk, high, on the phone, reading the paper, or sleeping and generally gunning for me. Despite this it is still so much fun. I think it is more tiring driving a scooter than a car, b/c you are so hyper vigilant. I find city driving easier than suburban driving which is a whole other monster (jacked up SUV's and Mini Van running you off the road)
Beamie

Re: Scooter riding in traffic

Post by Beamie »

macgawd wrote: I'm a little nervous about being seen. The main route I will be riding has a lot of 4-lane, 45-50 mph roadways.
Michael
That takes a bit of gumption.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Interestingly, I had this discussion with my dealer. He drives a motorcycle daily and of course the occaissional scooter. In his opinion, he believes scooters are generally safer than motorcycles from a visibilty stand point. Most auto drivers see motorcycles as another vehicle on the road, but when they see scooters, since they are more rare, their attention is heightened. Also, most scooter drivers sit much more upright which aids to improving their visibilty. Food for thought.
Laura
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

golfingirl wrote: In his opinion, he believes scooters are generally safer than motorcycles.
Being a rider of both, the motorcycle is definately more reassuring.
On a motorcycle you grip the tank with your knees, just like a passenger grips your hips from behind. It renders control in the even of an altercation.
On a scooter, in those situations you are going to be pitched off; there is no chance of stabililing yourself by gripping the tank.
songprayer

Post by songprayer »

I started my 2-wheelin with a TNG LS49 49cc scooter - TOP speed 40 mph - I ride 17 miles, one way, to work and I drive like I am invisible - if I pretend they can't see me then I prepare for their inattention - watch all the side roads, businesses and stay to the right as long as you can - ride to the middle of the lane or "driver's position" (in a car) for best visibility to the side road guys - don't be scared - be cautious - after 10 months on the 49cc I upgraded to the Buddy 125 (pink) barbie bike - A bit different but with anything new it just takes getting used to - Once you ride for a week or 2 (or a month) you'll love it - just don't lose the sense of caution because people can't see you :shock:
mikebuddy

safe in traffic

Post by mikebuddy »

I drive in the Los Angeles area, most people are ok, but some don’t like it when you split lanes and pull out in front of them when a light turns green.
One thing you can do to improve your visibility (especially at night) is to hook up your "dead light" turn signals, so you have 2 turn signals flashing on each side of your scooter, it creates a better visible signal when you use your turn signals
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I find it dangerous @ rush hour or when everyone MUST get home to watch reruns, but other than that it's generally really fun. You just have to follow my pal's advice:

"drive like you are glass; precious and invisible".

Most people are cool. Unless you're a guy. then you should clearly be killed by other guys for having the audacity to drive something fun and 'cute'. I get the worst attitude from 25-30 year old guys.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i love riding in traffic. most fun thing

you're invisible. go and learn from there, but always remember it!

other things are passive. hi vis gear, loud horn, bright lights, lane position, knowing blind spots. its a combo of passive preparation and being a capable rider, and most of all practicing the safety and riding skills you should know and have down (basically) before entering any sort of serious traffic situation

YOU ARE INVISIBLE! NOT EVEN YOUR DAY-GLO HELMET MOHAWK CAN BE SEEN!

just thought i would throw that in to remind you :P

good off bike practice, here

http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/
Riding is riding
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I ride my Buddy 125 to work often. This includes riding along city streets and on Highway 75 North for several miles (speed limit 65; usual speeds 70+). No issues so far and I've been doing it for the past 8 months or so.

In general, I've been happily impressed with the attentiveness of most drivers. However, the moment I think everyone is intelligent and attentive, I find some idiot who is texting while driving and weaving into the surrounding lanes. Stay salty and attentive!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
fishoutofwater

Post by fishoutofwater »

JHScoot wrote: good off bike practice, here

http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/
Cool interactive road test - thanks for sharing the link!
MYSCTR

Re: Scooter riding in traffic

Post by MYSCTR »

macgawd wrote:...I was curious about how regular traffic responds to your presence on the roads?
A) Realize as stated above they don’t see your presence. They DON'T SEE you. You have to see for EVERYONE else on the road.
macgawd wrote:...I'm a little nervous about being seen.
B) Be should be excited (and have fun) about being seen - that means you are still alive! Don't be nervous. It takes confidence (some might insert other words here).
macgawd wrote:...The main route I will be riding has a lot of 4-lane, 45-50 mph roadways.
C) The speed is NOT an issue for a Buddy 125/150/171 - the FOUR LANES would bother me as I know how stupid cagers are on three lanes well at least in the DFW area. Point: Your biggest enemy will be lateral movement by a car - or an angular movement. This is when a driver decides to make a quick lane change without even looking. It isn't they just did not see you - they did not even look!

All the replies so far are great and have a lot of good tips. After 15,000 scooter miles (a lot in heavy commuting traffic) the number one tip we would add is you MUST become very comfortable with your horn. Your thumb must move as easily (without looking) and as quickly as a blink of your eye. If you have to take evasive action, you will not have time to look or think – you should have already hit the horn as you are taking evasive action whether making a quick lane change yourself, hitting your brakes, even speeding up or deciding to lay it down. You get less than a half a second to decide. The horn alone has stopped so many drivers and kept me going without incident.

It goes without saying – take the MSF course, gain confidence and ride, ride, ride! Oh ya - have fun - it is a blast.
mrandmrslindholm

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

I find that the horn helps a lot. If I see anyone who even appears in the slightest like they might not see me, I press the horn and it tends to make them realize that I am there pretty quick. I have not had any problems riding in city traffic so far including 2 lane roads with 50 mph speed limits. I love my horn! ;-)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Thanks to a new job, (just started last Monday) my daily commute just went from 5 miles of randomly twisting country roads to 25 miles of a combination of country highway, urban two lane and multi-lanes and downtown city streets. I have contemplated using the four lane but I am actually in fear of that on the scoot, I've had issues with the dumb-asses while driving my Jeep!! (Plus my son has actually 'forbidden' me to even try it!)
I have yet to take the scoot but I have 'scouted' all possible routes and plan on a 'dry-run' of them as soon as I can. Then I'll be riding. (Son has ridden all the possible routes but his bike has 500 more cc's than mine.... :oops: )
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
easy

Post by easy »

I ride in chattanooga a good bit. I find its easy to get anywhere you need to go on surface streets. If you like going to watch the Lookouts ball games they let 2 wheelers park at the escalator. Only roads i stay off of is 153 from the dam to I75 and in Tn its 250 cc or greater to be on the interstate. If your dealing with Senic City Scooters in red bank there good people
what did you trade the day for?
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Another thing to consider is an alternate route. I drive the exact same way to work every day when I'm in my car. It's easy to get sort of blinded to other routes. But because most of it is on interstate highway, I had to plan a new route for the scoot.

When I first got the scoot and I was just getting my wheels under me, I didn't really venture off streets where the speed limit was more 30. Gradually, I've gotten more comfortable riding busier, faster roads. But depending on traffic conditions, time of day, weather conditions, I'll take a different route.

So I'd recommend spending a little time on Google Maps. Try routes using the "Avoid Highway" or bicycle routes. Surface streets that you never would have considered when you're in your car are a lot more appealing when you're scooting.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: safe in traffic

Post by ericalm »

Hey, you guys realize this is a 6-year-old post, right? :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skully93

Post by skully93 »

BAH!

Need to read the threads.

Maybe something over a year should have an icon :P
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i think old threads are still helpful. i posted in this one like it is new and didn't know the difference. someone got a useful link and well....here we all are. a day old or a year its still relevant :)
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:i think old threads are still helpful. i posted in this one like it is new and didn't know the difference. someone got a useful link and well....here we all are. a day old or a year its still relevant :)
Sure. Just letting people know that when responding to the OP or comments made years ago, those people are unlikely to see them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…