My first scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dennis Abrams

My first scooter

Post by Dennis Abrams »

OK. I'm seriously considering getting a Buddy 50cc. Does anyone have anything NEGATIVE to say about them? Or any advice at all? This is going to be my very first scooter! Thanks.
bullitt.buddy

Post by bullitt.buddy »

Hey Dennis, I just picked up my first scooter on Tuesday over at Scooter Smiths in the Heights. I freakin' love it. I got the 125, seems like a better choice with the extra pick-up. Traffic here is ridiculous, if you don't get on it when you need to , somebody could run right in to you. I noticed the prices for the 50's went up since the first time I started shopping. 125 is still the same price. Regardless whether you get a 50 or a 125 , the Buddy is perfect for first timers. Go ahead and test ride over at ScooterSmiths if you live around th inner loop. I think there is another place in League city selling them as well. Nothing negative to say so far, just wishin' my friends would hurry up and get some scoots soon.

Late
J.T.
100 MPG, Sucka! That's why!
Bert

my first scoter

Post by Bert »

I'd like to tell you about my first scooter. I was twelve, and the scooter was homemade by a bright little teenager in our town. I (my father) paid him $15 dollars for it. It was built around a washing machine motor which had no throtle, but rather a governor that made the machine run a constant speed of about 20 or 25 mph. No license was equiired, and the state of Illinois was still three years away from requiring drivers to be licensed.

There was no clutch, just a direct drive chain to the rear wheel. There was a kick starter that sometimes I used to make adjustments. I pushed it to start, then jump on before it got away from me. I would set it up on an apple box so the rear wheel could run free. The only control was a door bell button on the handle bar (half inch water pipe) that grounded the engine. There were also no brakes. You stopped (hopefully) by the drag of the engine. The seat was from an old dining room chair. It was primative, but it got me around town and to the shores of Lake Michigan that whole summer.

In the middle of the winter, I sold it to anoher kid for $15, and I have wanted to get back on one ever since. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I guess she thinks at 78 I should be content to rock in front of the television. Been there, done that. That is no living; it's waiting.

Bert
Havn't scootered since '42
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

I have a 50 and love it. For my use, the 50 is all I needed. I ride in downtown Philadelphia, and after derestricting the exhause pipe, I am able to go over 40 mph, which is fine for me. The acceleration of the 2 stoke more than makes up for the lack of top end, IMHO. Would I go on the intersate, HELL NO!, but since I bought the buddy, so I could commute to work, and leave the truck parked, it works great for me.

Aside from that I have always been partial to 2 strokes. I like the simplicity, the lack of having to change the oil, and the torque.

The only complaints I have are:

On some very bumpy streets, the forks have bottomed out a few times. I wish the spring rates could be adjusted. Since they can't a bit larger tire might help. Then again, I could also loose some weight ( yea that will happen )

It is killing me that the accessories aren't available yet. I know Genuine is working on it, but I reaaly want my front and rear racks.
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

I love my Buddy Sunset 50cc. The only thing I don't like is that I can't maintain the speed limit because of all the hills we have around here. Some are so huge that I can only get to 15-20 mph. It's a bit of a bummer. My husband just got the 125cc and I am insanely jealous.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Bert! That sounds like the coolest scooter in the world... not to mention it's truly a one-of-a-kind!! I think it'd be cool to have a dining room chair for my Buddy seat :D

I'm thinking that bright young man grew up to be either an inventor or an engineer?