Engine sound and temperature

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MWPMWP

Engine sound and temperature

Post by MWPMWP »

Okay, so I've got a 2009 Buddy 125 that I purchased new last year. I'm up to about 1300 miles and I'm curious about a few things.

The first is the sound of the engine. I may be imagining it, but it seems like it's getting a deeper sound than it used to have. It's running smoothly and I'm still getting great gas mileage....about 86mpg. Is this just normal with breaking in the engine?

I also have a question about engine temperature and exhaust smell. I've done the oil and gear change maintenance, but I wanted to know just how hot the engine should be getting. My rides have only been for about 20 to 30 minutes at a time, but it always seems like the engine throws off more heat than it should when I'm done riding.

I also know every engine has exhaust, but would excess exhaust smell indicate the engine burning too much gas? It's not a cloud or overpowering by any means, but just wondering. Thanks to anyone who replies. Overall, I've had no problems, so I guess I'm just curious about normal conditions.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

You may want to pull your spark plug and take a look at it. It should be a light mocha color. If you are smelling a strong exhaust odor, it may be running rich. Does it smell like gas, oil or burning carbon?
How is your top speed?
Any "popping" or backfiring on deceleration?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Your mileage is just about at "Buddy Puberty". Most of the 125/150s get a bit of performance boost around this point, as break-in is well-established. I noticed a change in the exhaust note as well.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

All of the above.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Check the exhaust system nuts. Both the heat and the possible volume increase are symptoms of loose nuts. I've had it happen and it sounds like a Harley.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Tee Jay wrote:Check the exhaust system nuts. Both the heat and the possible volume increase are symptoms of loose nuts. I've had it happen and it sounds like a Harley.
Well if the scooter is walking funny I think you hit the, uh, nail on the head.
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson