holy frakkin' warm weather batman!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmrcstintn

holy frakkin' warm weather batman!!!

Post by kmrcstintn »

it's gonna be in the 60's in southcentral PA on Wednesday & Thursday!!! I'm frothing at the mouth in anticipation;

what do I ride first...the Buddy or the motorcycle??? where do I ride...scenic or straight shot??? will it be warm enough on Thursday morning to ride to work Wednesday nite???

I'm gitty like a kid in a candy store!!! :goofy:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Ridden my bike to work both days so far this week. This morning was quite chilly at about 30 degrees. The afternoon was pretty warm while working in shirtsleeves but was luvly while wearing my armored jacket on the way home.

Don't get too enthusiastic and under-dress! I've ruined more than one ride by forgetting the chill factor.

And flip a coin. Either will be fun!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am waiting to make sure it stays reasonably warm before my bike comes out of hibernation. I do not have a garage and don't want the battery exposed to low temps at night.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

It has been very warm here too... But, very windy. The gusts up to 45mph kept me from scooting to work. Rode around neighborhood though. :D
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

It has been really warm here in St Louis today and sunny as well, but the wind. 24mph with gusts up to 50 and a few at 60. I don't even like driving my car in that. Supposed to be warm and windy tomorrow too, then rain. Sigh
96 Decibel Freaks
viney266

Post by viney266 »

And two big rainstorms to wash away all the salt last week...Does it get better? :D ...spring is coming.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

viney266 wrote:And two big rainstorms to wash away all the salt last week...Does it get better? :D ...spring is coming.
:rofl: :rofl:
Yep, that last snow storm was really memorable
I am not a scooter snob.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

We were about 70 here in Denver today!
It was nice to have my FAST Buddy back. That sucka was haulin' today in the warmer air!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

kmrcstintn- you can always ride one each day!

We've had unseasonably/unreasonably warm weather on and off here as well. But windy, also. Turned out to be a very mild winter.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:I am waiting to make sure it stays reasonably warm before my bike comes out of hibernation. I do not have a garage and don't want the battery exposed to low temps at night.
It would have to get Arctic-level cold to damage your battery. When it became clear that we were getting a mild (by Michigan standards) winter this year, I've just kept my scooter outdoors, riding it when the roads are clear, leaving it parked it when it snows, and not even putting it on the Battery Tender, and it's been just fine.

I'm loving the warm weather yesterday and today, but I've been riding the scooter (off and on) for weeks alread, so it just means I can stop wearing my scarf and swap the lined leather jacket for the mesh one with windbreaker. :)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Temp has jumped roughly 8 degrees since I got out of bed at 0630, it's now 0735 and 38*, I'm riding this morning!!!
My son left for work on his bike (Yamaha R6) at 0300 this morning.... Brrr... (Yesterday he put the top down on his Jeep)

kmrcstintn, I'm going to enjoy the morning, Bainbridge to Camp Hill, ride happy......
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stormswift wrote:
viney266 wrote:And two big rainstorms to wash away all the salt last week...Does it get better? :D ...spring is coming.
Hey.....!!!
I'm just a few dozen miles north of you, you got snow????
Nullius in verba
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:
Stormswift wrote:
Hey.....!!!
I'm just a few dozen miles north of you, you got snow????
We had snowflakes...aka "snow shower" for total of 10 minutes
I am not a scooter snob.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I finally got the SH150 out of storage last week. I really didn't end up needing to put it away at all this year but I kept thinking that if I got it out then we'd get a huge snow storm and I wouldn't be able to get it back into my back yard. Finally I realized that a big snow storm just isn't in the cards this year and I got sick of not riding in this unseasonally warm michigan winter.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Well unfortunately crap weather returned to Denver, but we should be good to go by friday! Then hopefully I can get a couple solid weeks of scooting in!
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

First ride of 2012 for my scoot today. I'm going to take it out for a little while before work to make sure everything is all good, pending that ride, I should be taking it to work!

...also, my car has some pieces sitting on the floor in the garage, so that's not going anywhere anyway :P
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Ali, between you and Tom, I'm surprised you don't have 'hands off!' vehicles since you're always tinkering.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

AWinn6889 wrote:First ride of 2012 for my scoot today. I'm going to take it out for a little while before work to make sure everything is all good, pending that ride, I should be taking it to work!

...also, my car has some pieces sitting on the floor in the garage, so that's not going anywhere anyway :P
Well, the bf beat me to it... he is currently riding my scooter in circles around the culdesac. His sportster is currently undergoing some modifications in the garage, so I guess it's cool.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

skully93 wrote:Ali, between you and Tom, I'm surprised you don't have 'hands off!' vehicles since you're always tinkering.
Well, my car needed a new cat for a while, so we got a universal one ($50) and had a friend chop off the old one and weld the new one in there a couple months ago... but we found that the flex pipe was frayed and leaking. My everything's okay light was off for a while with the new cat, but came back on because of the flex pipe. So last night we went to our friend again and welded a new flex pipe on, but someone didn't take a picture of it, or any measurements for that matter, prior to it being chopped off, so it was put back together at the wrong angle, and now it won't fit. So franken-pipes are done and dead, we ordered a new down pipe and cat (it's really all one part for my car) for a cool $350, and it will be put on tonight when I go to work.

EDIT: Ended up being $400-ish actually. :(
His GTI is pretty much the "hands off" vehicle now that everything is new and upgraded. There are a few things that he has to finish, like the R32 power-dimming rear view mirror and other small things that won't take the car out of commission. The beater Jetta is also pretty much good now, it's going to need a new cat-back before it's inspection is up in September, since the muffler fell off in the driveway a month or so ago.. but otherwise it's all good, just got new brakes and a new clutch cable, really pleasant to drive now. My car on the other hand had needed a new cat since I bought it. We went with the franken-pipes way because it was cheaper and easier, as long as it got the job done it doesn't matter what it looks like. It needs a new ignition coil-pack, mine has a crack in it, Tom plasti-dip-sprayed it to seal it, but if it's like misting or lightly snowing outside and there's a decent wind, it somehow gets wet and causes mis-fires on one of the cylinders when I start it up. That's a $140 part. It will also need a new starter within the next year, as we have been greasing the crap out of mine for a little while now, which is a $115 part. The cat-back on mine is also starting to rust out and get loud, so that's another thing within the next year or so that needs to be done, another $400.
THANKFULLY, Tom and I do all of the work on this thing... because if we didn't my car would have easily been considered "totalled" by a dealer with all of the stuff we have been replacing and upgrading. It is a northeast car, and it does have 130k on it, AND the idiots that the previous owners took it to for work messed some stuff up. So I was expecting all of these things when I bought it, I just... didn't save my money and bought a really awesome scooter instead :roll:
Last edited by AWinn6889 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

84° for our Genuine ride on Sunday. Back down into highs of 60s. Hitting 80° again in a couple days.

Weird, weird season.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Rode home from work in shirtsleeves today. I hope we are truly getting an early spring and don't get a last-minute blue norther to mess up my pear trees again.
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

Southerner wrote:Rode home from work in shirtsleeves today. I hope we are truly getting an early spring and don't get a last-minute blue norther to mess up my pear trees again.
lol i rode in shorts and a muscle shirt today , gotta love texas, at least when its not summer
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

76 in Atlanta today but the rain comes back tomorrow :(

Enjoying the early Spring so far...
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Might get up to mid-60's here on Saturday...which is great since once again we (KC Scooter Riders) are participating in a St. Patrick's Day parade.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

The bf and I are planning a trip on Sunday since it's supposed to be 60-ish and sunny. Not sure where we're going yet, but we're taking the day and riding somewhere darnit!
The 10-day forecast is showing it cooling down to 40-ish for Saturday, then back up to the mid-to-high 50s and 60s for all of next week. I might be taking the snow tires off early after all, knock on wood!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i am enjoying this ideal riding weather completely! its so nice out, heading into the day never felt so good :)
Riding is riding
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

We got the rain today so I took the car. Will be doing so again tomorrow since I' driving thr family to the aquarium in ATL.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

And then 'reality' returns............
Cool and windy 40's to low 50's Friday and Saturday... :(
YET I still ride. The guys where I now work (new job) think I'm crazy!
That's OK..... I know I'm crazy... :goofy:

Just heard the forecast for the next week, 60's and even maybe to 70 for the most of next week, remember, it'll still be in the 30's or 40's during the morning commute time. :fp:
Nullius in verba
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am weak...I admit it. Mid 60's and 70's as of tomorrow is more than I can resist. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not a scooter snob.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stormswift wrote:I am weak...I admit it. Mid 60's and 70's as of tomorrow is more than I can resist. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT.......!!!!!
Nullius in verba
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Lately it's been 60's here. One or two 70 degree days. Too bad that doesn't matter much to me now :/

EDIT because I was half-asleep and answered two threads in the same post. Haha.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:
Stormswift wrote:I am weak...I admit it. Mid 60's and 70's as of tomorrow is more than I can resist. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did, I did I, did. !!!!!!! Doby is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
I am not a scooter snob.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stormswift wrote:
KABarash wrote:
I did, I did I, did. !!!!!!! Doby is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!
He's A_L_I_V_E....!!!!!
I didn't ride today, did to and from work earlier this week, will tomorrow and the rest of the week......
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

With the insanely-mild winter here, I've just kept the BTJr plugged in to the scoot, and have been able to ride a little bit each month. I didn't get out today (sunny and 63), but even though tomorrow will be rainy, we're looking at 70s and 80s and sunny all next week. Muchly looking forward to that.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
theflash784

holy freakin weather batman

Post by theflash784 »

It was sunny and 60 here today in Rochester Mi. I had put the scooter away for the winter- you can probably thank me for the mild winter. I unwrapped it and put the battery back in- she started right up! Went for a ride and had a blast! The winds were pretty strong so I kept the speeds low for this first ride. Saw quite a few MC's out enjoying the sun. There was a Honda with a side car and a few choppers who returned my nods. Hope we get a few more days like today.
ComboOrgan

Post by ComboOrgan »

I also took advantage of the beautiful Michigan day, and took my scoot out of my pal's garage.
It feels great to be back in the saddle
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

So Atlanta was beautiful yesterday, which didn't mean much because I was in the car, when I wasn't taking pictures of fish or learning waaaay too much about the history of Coca-Cola. I like the old Coke World better. This bigger place beats the story to death.

It was cloudy this afternoon but I got out long enough on the bike to make a run uptown to do some errands as well as get some gas and pressure-wash the bug guts off my windscreen. The temps are supposed to be mild all next week but the rain chances are just iffy enough to make me wonder what to drive to work. Don't really like breaking out that bulky rain suit unless I have to.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

rode yesterday, in the 40's with wind, bundled to the hilt...needed to clear my head & did some light shopping to boot; rode today before doing oil change (engine & rear hub) to warm the fluids and a lengthy ride after since the weather was immacualte (Buddy both days); now the rain comes back for a few days (no complaining since we had a dry winter & need the rain); will ride the Buell later in the week for recreation & the scoot for work (if the mornings get into the mid 40's)
TVB

Post by TVB »

I took advantage of the warm weather yesterday to switch to my summer gear: trading the leather jacket for mesh/textile, the full-face shield for half-face, and the warm gloves for the ventilated ones.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

definitely!

I'll have the new Corazzo jacket to review today, but other than that, no liner in my textile jacket, vented gloves, only long johns in the morning (and I could have lived without them really).

Looking forward to 70 degree weather all week, though I suspect there's at least 1 lurking blizzard before the heat truly arrives.