2008 Buddy colors?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

davland

2008 Buddy colors?

Post by davland »

So has anybody heard any rumors on new Buddy colors for 2008. I don't have one yet, but I'm planning on buying a Buddy in the Spring. The only one of the current colors that I really like is the green SI. I emailed Genuine, but they are keeping their mouths shut about new colors for another month or so. Just wondering if anybody is more informed than I am.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i heard someplace there would be a blue one this year... but who knows if it'll be a darker purp./blue or a baby blue. Personally i think a deep Mediterranean blue would be sooo sooo nice... 8)
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

What was the first Buddy color?

Do they tend to have a light color, then a dark color, then light every other year?
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I'm looking forward to the...2 new "series" models expected this year.

A Barcelona and I forgot the other one mentioned.

It'll be interesting to see what they colors, additions to the basic line these proposed new series will have.

Currently, there's only 1 "series" model sold which is the Italia.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

2008 will only be year 3 for the "Buddy" as we know it, so too soon for a pattern to develop. First colors in 2006 were pink, sunset, black/silver, and creme.

Not sure how long PGO has been making the BuBu or whether they've offered different colors, but they're not the same as ours except for the black/silver:
http://english.pgo.com.tw/bubu.shtml

The colors we see on our Buddys are made for Genuine, not the same as PGO makes for everybody else as far as I know.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
nonsense

Post by nonsense »

TBone, I think it is St. Tropez. If I remember correctly St. Tropez is blue and Barcelona is Maroon & Creme.

Clever of Genuine to let us all build the buzz like this.
-Cultivate Eccentricity
db

Post by db »

what about engine or tires or suspension?? Anything to be new on that?
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

eric...a DROOL icon...

I remember the Barcelona for some reason sticking in my head.

A 2 toned maroon and cream scoot... DROOL!

I was eyeballing a Piaggio BV 500 on saturday that was a metallic maroon. I think my old '87 Mustang hatchback that was maroon automatically pushes me to like that color over others.

The name sounds right.

I don't remember what other features (If any were even mentioned) the '08 buddies might have.

Something I LOVE on my Vespa which would be awesome is a 3 or 4 position back shock preload. The factory setting on it's lowest position of 1 is great if you weigh less than 150. I found setting 2 is great for me riding alone. I just jacked her up to 3 but my tires are still set for riding 2 up incase I needed to take my wife home. Being I have smaller tire sizes than ya'll on your buddies...it makes a difference being able to adjust the shock preload. (HINT Anyone at Genuine reading this!)
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

nonsense wrote:TBone, I think it is St. Tropez. If I remember correctly St. Tropez is blue and Barcelona is Maroon & Creme.
As I heard it, the French special edition (St. Tropez?) would be blue and silver while the second special edition (Barcelona?) would be maroon and cream.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

The Buddy came out in 2005?

I thought it had been around for several years...unless someone wasn't referring to the US model.

Then in 2006 it came out with all these colors in one year?
First colors in 2006 were pink, sunset, black/silver, and creme.

And only the Italia in 2007?
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

They should call the Barcelona "La Rambla" it has a nice ring to it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ryder1 wrote:The Buddy came out in 2005?

I thought it had been around for several years...unless someone wasn't referring to the US model.

2006 was the first year for the Buddy in the US. It has been sold in Asia and Europe under other names though I don't know its first year in other markets. Hey, that would be the Italia and RED in 2007.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ryder1 wrote:The Buddy came out in 2005?

If you're referring to my comment about year 3 it goes like this:

2006 is year 1 for the Genuine Buddy, in all those colors
2007 is year 2, Series Italia and Red introduced
2008 will be year 3, with colors rumored as detailed above

The PGO BuBu was around before Genuine entered the picture to import it and rebadge it etc. I don't know for how long or how readily available it was in the US.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

im still holding out for the poop colored edition.
I have the scoots!
gregoryrsl

Post by gregoryrsl »

Does anyone remember when the new Buddys were announced last year?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gregoryrsl wrote:Does anyone remember when the new Buddys were announced last year?
It wasn't until late November some time, I think.

BUT, Genuine may be announcing a lot more than new colors this year so they could be holding back or may let loose with everything at once.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I heard Blue as well (and more SI's)
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

gregoryrsl wrote:Does anyone remember when the new Buddys were announced last year?
The SI rumors were discussed in late November:
viewtopic.php?t=750

The red 07 was leaked into the rumor mill in January:
viewtopic.php?p=10203

Dealers started getting the 07s in February:
viewtopic.php?t=976

viewtopic.php?t=1032

Now, bow down to my librarian (on her lunch break) powers!
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:Now, bow down to my librarian (on her lunch break) powers!
Powers? Did you use something other than the MB search function?

Or... maybe... it takes a librarian to find the search function! Yes, that must be it!

I looked too and found the late November reference to the 07 SI, but didn't post because ericalm pretty much already said he thought it was about that time.

I'm pretty much anxiously awaiting the new website and announcements from Genuine. I don't know why, it's not as if I could afford to buy anything else. Maybe if I get a nice raise (not on the horizon that I know of) I would consider trading in the Buddy for an 08 200c Blur, if such a thing were to be announced.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

With a few cans of paint, you can have any color you want! :P
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

lobsterman wrote:Or... maybe... it takes a librarian to find the search function! Yes, that must be it!
I know you're being facetious, but sometimes I wonder about my fellow internerds. I should make an avatar or signature that shows me shaking my fist and screaming, "USE THE SEARCH, YOU!" :lol:
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

polianarchy wrote:
lobsterman wrote:Or... maybe... it takes a librarian to find the search function! Yes, that must be it!
I know you're being facetious, but sometimes I wonder about my fellow internerds. I should make an avatar or signature that shows me shaking my fist and screaming, "USE THE SEARCH, YOU!" :lol:
Me too!
Kevin
AYPWIP?
louie

Post by louie »

polianarchy wrote:
gregoryrsl wrote: Now, bow down to my librarian (on her lunch break) powers!
i do.
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

So this may be sort of off topic but how many of you have seen the way the red and SI green bubus are badged and marketed in Asia? Aparently with a patriotic "U-S-A" theme going on. Our Italia version, by the looks of the red, white and blue helmets is some sort of "military" inspiered model. Here's the link to the pdf:

http://www.pgo.com.tw/Download/DM/usaBubu-dm.pdf
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

CiaoItalia wrote:So this may be sort of off topic but how many of you have seen the way the red and SI green bubus are badged and marketed in Asia? Aparently with a patriotic "U-S-A" theme going on. Our Italia version, by the looks of the red, white and blue helmets is some sort of "military" inspiered model. Here's the link to the pdf:

Hilarious. I wonder if we can look to other PGO colors to see what's in store for the Buddy. If so, I like the silver, white and blue colors on this page (not sure about the silver with the blue). Hate that metallic pink, though!

I'd also like to see the 2-tone seats they have overseas. Only colors I've seen are black & grey, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

has anyone else noticed that the seats on thoose bubus are different than ours
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's what I just heard about '08 colors:
St. Tropez edition, blue and silver/grey. May be same as blue/silver I linked to above.
New orange! More like the Stella's tangerine.
New red! Lighter than current red.
vaderscoot wrote:has anyone else noticed that the seats on thoose bubus are different than ours
I've seen pics of some BuBu seats that appeared to have a different, more concave shape. Hard to tell, though.
Last edited by ericalm on Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

thats what it looks like to me
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Done!
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

CiaoItalia wrote:So this may be sort of off topic but how many of you have seen the way the red and SI green bubus are badged and marketed in Asia? Aparently with a patriotic "U-S-A" theme going on. Our Italia version, by the looks of the red, white and blue helmets is some sort of "military" inspiered model. Here's the link to the pdf:

The red and italia are marketed as models exported to the US with the 2007 features as modifications as required by the US market and regulations. They also have the lowered seats (by 35mm) because lower seats sell better in taiwan.

One thing that I noticed between the regular model and the US model is that the compression ratio is different (9.5:1 vs 9.2:1US). I don't really know what these numbers mean but I am sure someone here would. And from what I can understand, it uses exhaust to increase HP like a turbo engine.
Lee
truckasaurus

Post by truckasaurus »

mlee10018 wrote: One thing that I noticed between the regular model and the US model is that the compression ratio is different (9.5:1 vs 9.2:1US). I don't really know what these numbers mean but I am sure someone here would. And from what I can understand, it uses exhaust to increase HP like a turbo engine.
Be careful, you're confusing backpressure of an exhaust system with compression ratio of an piston engine. Compression ratio relates to the ratio of the volume of the combustion chamber at opposite ends of the stroke, i.e., the amount the fuel air mixture is "compressed" before ignition and the power stroke. Note, the higher the compression ratio, the higher octane gasoline you need to prevent pre-ignition (spontaneous combustion before the spark plug fires). As an interesting side note, because of the pre-ignition concerns, turbocharged engines usually have lowered compression ratios than their normally-aspirated counterparts. The amount of boost makes up the difference.
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

mlee10018 wrote:The red and italia are marketed as models exported to the US with the 2007 features as modifications as required by the US market and regulations.
That strikes me as tremendously funny. Seems like the grass is greener somewhere else no matter where you live.
mlee10018 wrote:One thing that I noticed between the regular model and the US model is that the compression ratio is different (9.5:1 vs 9.2:1US). I don't really know what these numbers mean but I am sure someone here would. And from what I can understand, it uses exhaust to increase HP like a turbo engine.
Compression ratio has nothing to do with turbochargers, exhaust gases, or anything like that. After the air and fuel get sucked into an engine they get compressed into a very small space. The compression ratio basically compares the volume of the compressed fuel and air to the uncompressed. So if your compression ratio is 9.5:1, the compressed substances once occupied a volume 9.5 times as large as the tiny space they are in when compressed.

A higher compression ratio generally makes more power. When more densely packed, the fuel and air tend to burn more vigorously and expand more forcefully against the piston, making more power. That said, there are some limits and caveats. 1) higher compression ratios tend to raise levels of certain air pollutants. 2) higher compression ratios require higher octane rated fuels. A higher octane rating basically means the gasoline is more resistant to combustion than gasoline of a lower octane rating. Without higher octane fuels, the fuel can ignite before the spark plug fires. That can do really nasty things to an engine.

On a four stroke engine, 9.5:1 or 9.2:1 are pretty normal in parts of the world where decent fuels are available.
- Bryce
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

jrsjr wrote:
Done!
This is hilarious, because I read that webcomic, own that shirt, and use that image as an avatar on LiveJournal. HA!
ModBud #442
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

what what? a tangerine orange? i could be crying for weeks now!! :cry: :cry:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

weaseltamer wrote:what what? a tangerine orange? i could be crying for weeks now!! :cry: :cry:
Something like this:
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i know, i drool over orange stellas as often as i see one (like twice at a scootin meet in KC) i'm intregued by a sidecar concept as well. i dunno if i'd actually dump the $$ to buy one...
awfulshot

Post by awfulshot »

I was about to be sad, but looking at the pic, I like the sunset over tangerine.
-Travis
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

awfulshot wrote:I was about to be sad, but looking at the pic, I like the sunset over tangerine.
what about a little panel swapping to get a two tone?? it'd depend on the end fine tuned tangerine color. i think i'd like my buddy to be a teensie bit lighter, but if i were going to be picky i'd want it in a med. tone metallic sparkley green, slightly more yellow than blue, but only slightly.
davland

Post by davland »

Where are you guys getting the information (leaks) on the supposed new colors? Any pictures? Any spy sites? Anybody know if a yellow or purple is coming?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

davland wrote:Where are you guys getting the information (leaks) on the supposed new colors? Any pictures? Any spy sites? Anybody know if a yellow or purple is coming?
I think most of the rumors are coming from dealers. :)
Genuine announced some of their '08 plans at their dealers conference. Other news (new models, plans for Stella) is either being held for anniuncements from Genuine or under a strict gag order. Most likely the former, as they know how much we love to speculate and gossip about scoots.
davland

Post by davland »

ericalm wrote:Most likely the former, as they know how much we love to speculate and gossip about scoots.
In that case, I heard that they Genuine is developing a concept scooter made of fiber optics strands, graham crackers, and kitten femurs. Prototypes have been seen on the waterways in Venice.

How's that for speculation and gossip?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Crap! I was hoping for vanilla wafers...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

kitten bones are actually amazingly resilliant.. it takes a little work, they need to be fully dried out and then rubbed with a polymer strengthening composite and allowed to dry again for a minimum of 3 days.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

davland wrote:
ericalm wrote:Most likely the former, as they know how much we love to speculate and gossip about scoots.
In that case, I heard that they Genuine is developing a concept scooter made of fiber optics strands, graham crackers, and kitten femurs. Prototypes have been seen on the waterways in Venice.

How's that for speculation and gossip?
I bet we start seeing them on the streets before any of the new so-called "Lambrettas" being developed. No, I don't mean the re-badged Adlys. Those other ones. Or the other other one.