the angry chainsaw has returned home

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

neotrotsky

the angry chainsaw has returned home

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, the folks at the Urban Commuter once again have done well and have returned my Tattler back to the land of the living. The total damages repaired included;

-Brand new piston and rings
-New cylinder
-New head
-New main bearing
-New pilot bearing
-New Roller weights
-New upper and lower cylinder gaskets (the previous shop removed them to increase compression, using only RVT sealent)
-$120 towing bill
-Just shy of $600 in parts and labor fees

It isn't as "hopped up" since all the parts are PGO stock, but it is smooth and reliable. Still has the performance clutch which means shotgun starts everytime and only 50mph top speed at best, but at this point I am just happy to have wheels again. Its a great example of a Tattler now, and as new as can be, but after being scammed and all of this, the bike holds no thrill anymore for me.

So the hunt is on to find it a new good home. Back to the hunt for a Stella or Buddy... like I should if got in the first place
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

good to have it back. sucks it has left a bad taste in your mouth. you pretty much have a new motor and this round might be a win. :D
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
theflash784

the angry chainsaw has returned

Post by theflash784 »

Glad to hear you got your ride back. Hopefully now it will run great for you and you will come to like it better- at least until you can find something that you will love. Good luck with it.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Do you like any Scoot you have? Maybe a little change of attitude is in order. Every time I read a post from you, it has a negative slant. If I had an "ignore" option, I would choose it. You need to MELLOW OUT>
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Raiderfn311 wrote:Do you like any Scoot you have? Maybe a little change of attitude is in order. Every time I read a post from you, it has a negative slant. If I had an "ignore" option, I would choose it. You need to MELLOW OUT>
Then why did you read this thread, much less respond to it? Heed your own advice and learn when it's best to just walk away instead of trying to instigate some shit.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

$600 is a pretty good price for all that work!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Raiderfn311 wrote:Do you like any Scoot you have? Maybe a little change of attitude is in order. Every time I read a post from you, it has a negative slant. If I had an "ignore" option, I would choose it. You need to MELLOW OUT>
Neo was pretty excited when he first got the Rattler, just sad that he had to lose the vintage to get it. Maybe it's true that he has a lot of unhappies, but all that I've read have been separate and understandably sucky situations... :(

Anyway, sorry your Rattler has cost you so much so soon after you got it, at least it wasn't more. I can't say I don't encourage the idea of the acquisition of a Buddy, of course :lol: But that doesn't mean it's the most practical option for you. Here's to hoping things work themselves out, and the Rattler begins behaving for you!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Agreed. If you got all that done, including labor, for short of $600 then I think you were treated pretty well, esp. if they had to get in and redo bearings.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Sounds like a good deal! Sorry for the crappy run of luck, though. Here's hoping she lasts as long as you need her. I'll bet with all you've done she will..
easy

Post by easy »

Hope your luck changes to the good side
what did you trade the day for?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Now you have to break it in again like new :P

Not a bad deal for all that work though!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Agreed on the deal for the repairs. The shop is full of really great guys. The only downside is that they are a small shop (3 guys or so), and they are flooded with Chinese junk along with other "legitimate" scooters and bicycles. So when you drop a bike off, expect at least a week or two before it's done. That aside, they do great work and it shows. The price also cannot be beat!

As for happy: The Vespa was too much bike too soon. I am still planning on getting a shifter scooter now that I am moving into a legit house with a shop to work on a bike. But, right now we need dead-reliable. That's the ONLY reason I went with the Rattler: Great rep for being a Genuine scooter with some heavy duty chassis and suspension. Little did I know what was really going on with the engine.

I like riding. But when you have the same irritation of a shop screwing you in a way that comes at you sideways TWICE, you get bitter. And there is no secret I am a very bitter person. It's kind of a reason why I have been hired at my job: Bitter and critical Tech Directors make the best shows :P
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Good to hear you got a good running scoot again!! I do agree with raiderfan about your previous posts and negativity!! Frankly surprized by Eric's response. alot of us read and not post. But it's evident that negativity doesn't get you too far in this world. Any way congrats to have the ability to ride again.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Shoot, 3000 miles on my scooter vs. my jeep = $600 bucks in gas.

Just put an extra 3000 miles on it before you sell it and you'll make your money back. :wink: