The Perfect Scooter !

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Len

The Perfect Scooter !

Post by Len »

I have been thinking a lot about scooters. I love the ones that I have had (but do not have now) and I am planning to get a new scooter very soon. However as I look at all the scooters available today and see the older scooters available as used I am struck with the thought that i wish some scooter manufacturer would really try to improve upon their present models to incorporate the best details into their designs.

With Modern technology there is no excuse that we should not have available a Scooter that is as reliable, maintainable, and long lasting as any automobile of modern vintage.

With that in mind I try to imagine THE PERFECT SCOOTER.

What is the Perfect scooter to you?
What are the most important attributes?
Functionality
Maintainability

Maybe if we can reveal our imaginary scooter we can influence those manufacturers that might read this forum and be able to actually bring such a machine into production. Just a thought.

So if YOU could design a scooter: How would it look?
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

I think you are spot on with this. Modern technology with safety and reliability. I can dream about this:

200cc at least
4 valves per cylinder
Water cooled
Fuel Injected
Shifter (5speed)
Disc brakes front and rear
Dual shocks on back
Throttle lock
10" tires
Helmet lock
side stand
LED lighting
skully93

Post by skully93 »

So far I think they are getting a ton better. As more people in '1st world' countries buy them, it allows manufacturers to tighten tolerances and invest more in R&D.

They have many more scooters than cars in a lot of more populated nations, but those people tend to grow up knowing how to work on them.

I think if I were to design my 'perfect' scooter it would be much like modern Piaggio or Vespa scooters, only have a fully usable gas tank (instead of only using 2/3) and more self-serviceable parts. But, I'm also a mechanical twit. Most people that work on them regularly don't seem to have many issues.

Fuel Injection is also bringing a lot to the table, and I would have gone that route if I had a garage.

Now, if we can just get that pesky forcefield setup so that I can ride in minimal gear too....:P
Tom

Post by Tom »

Often, people are looking for something with a particular look (classic/ vintage looking). Ok, maybe just me. But if that's also you, that narrows the search down a bit: more or less so depending on what fits that bill for you.

If you aren't though, it's pretty wide open. I want one in my garage (one day) that will be very much the opposite. I dream of the MP3 now, but who knows what will be available once I have the funds to make that real.

Specifically what features do you want to see incorporated in your perfect scooter?

I'm quite happy with the Stella myself, it strikes that perfect balance for me between modern and vintage. Only thing I ever wish for was a little more speed (or a little quicker actually) but I wouldn't want this in trade for any of it's other features- size/weight, appearance, reliability etc. So realistically I think it's a 'different tool for a different job' sort of thing. Which means I need a minimum of 3 or 4 more scooters. ;)
Last edited by Tom on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Len

My Thoughts on the perfect scooter

Post by Len »

- 12 inch wheels for stability and ride
- DIsc Brakes front and rear
- machined aluminum SPLIT Rims like P series vespa only in aluminum so you can change tires easily along side the road if needed.
- single sided front fork just like a vespa LX to enable easy wheel/tire changes
- 200 cc engine (four stroke) 4 valve head, forced-air cooled
- I could imagine this as an Automatic or a manual transmission
- if Manual transmission maybe 5 speed so to have an overdrive available for freeway cruising at lower RPM
- could cruise all day long at 65-70 mph to enable long distance travel yet
- an evolutionary design that would be based on a frame and engine that is continually improved upon with body panels that would allow changes in style/shapes over the years without the complete re-design of the machine.
the same machine then could be offered in a retro style like the LaVita or in a modern style like a buddy and the only change is the body panels. Much easier to manufacture.

- should have a real gas tank of at least 2.5 gal.
- should come with premium tires and stainless steel exhaust.

well those are some thoughts
Tom

Re: My Thoughts on the perfect scooter

Post by Tom »

Len wrote:- 12 inch wheels for stability and ride
- DIsc Brakes front and rear
- machined aluminum SPLIT Rims like P series vespa only in aluminum so you can change tires easily along side the road if needed.
- single sided front fork just like a vespa LX to enable easy wheel/tire changes
- 200 cc engine (four stroke) 4 valve head, forced-air cooled
- I could imagine this as an Automatic or a manual transmission
- if Manual transmission maybe 5 speed so to have an overdrive available for freeway cruising at lower RPM
- could cruise all day long at 65-70 mph to enable long distance travel yet
- an evolutionary design that would be based on a frame and engine that is continually improved upon with body panels that would allow changes in style/shapes over the years without the complete re-design of the machine.
the same machine then could be offered in a retro style like the LaVita or in a modern style like a buddy and the only change is the body panels. Much easier to manufacture.

- should have a real gas tank of at least 2.5 gal.
- should come with premium tires and stainless steel exhaust.

well those are some thoughts
I'd buy it. 8) 8)
Queen

Re: My Thoughts on the perfect scooter

Post by Queen »

Tom wrote:
I'd buy it. 8) 8)
Ditto.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I want the Kymco People GT 300i in a shifty, and without the topcase. I wish they had it in their "blue black" color, but I love the orange/"gold" (it's more visible anyway).

It already has all of this great stuff:
298cc, 4-stroke SOHC, 4-Valve, Fuel Injected, Liquid cooled engine
16" Alloy wheels, front and rear disc brakes, telescoping forks in the front and adjustable shocks in the rear
2.4 gallon gas tank
Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, tripmeter, clock, fuel and temperature gauges
12 volt accessory outlet
Underseat Storage (while it's not a ton, I'm sure it would be enough)
Two Year Limited Factory Warranty
All at ~$5500

That is essentially my perfect scooter as is, just those two-ish changes (and really, I can live without a shifty, I have a motorcycle and a Buddy anyway). It has almost made me give up on my dream of a Vespa GTS 300 Super... I think I would rather have a vintage Vespa P200 to play with more than a brand new one anyway, especially if I can get one of these particular Kymcos in my garage.
Syd

Post by Syd »

SYM HD300 without the two level seat.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Perfect scooter, perfect scooter... uuummmmm....

Big (so I can load my gear and scooter across the USA)
Fast (so I can go fast - duh)
90mph (look at the above)
200mpg (Don't want to stop too often)
Comfortable seat (again look at the answer above)
on board ATM (lightweight-under the seat magically stuffed with cash every night by elves or Elvis)
and free :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

http://genuinescooters.com/buddy.html

But maybe with a bigger gas tank.

And purple.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Ok, I'll play:

I honestly love the look of the Vespa 150S. It's evolutionary but still classic. Steel bodied scooter with a reliable engine. But, it's not *perfect*. How to fix that?

-4 or 5 speed manual shift option. It's not financially feasable since only a small percentage would buy a manual Vespa anymore, but in that body, it would be a winner!
-200cc liquid cooled motor. Honestly, don't need any bigger.
-Fuel injected
-Front and REAR dual piston caliper disc
-Output from the bike's ECM for a heads-up display option (perhaps a propriatery bluetooth option or an ap for iPhone/Android/WP7... cover all the bases). Get speed, fuel and GPS without taking your eyes off the road!
-*slightly* larger from stock tank

Beyond that, I'd be in heaven!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

TVB wrote:http://genuinescooters.com/buddy.html

But maybe with a bigger gas tank.

And purple.
Purple.

This shade? I kinda like this shade. :)
Attachments
purple.jpg
purple.jpg (2.18 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

My dream scooter would have the cowls of a GS scaled to fit the body of a Rally 200, with a 12" spoked wheel/disc brake in back and a furniture caster with a bicycle caliper brake in front. The engine would be a 2-stroke 220cc twin with one fuel-injected Wankel rotary cylinder and one oval piston-ported cylinder, cooled with a mayonnaise emulsion, all with an electric hybrid backup. It would have one drop bar and one monkey bar, seating for two adults and two children. Lights would run on 120V, positive grounded, all regulated AC with no battery. It would have a flip-up iPad in the headset and storage for three full-face helmets, a gallon of milk, a 50lb bag of kitty litter, and vibration-proof storage for a laptop. It would also have heated seats, side curtain airbags, a Slurpee dispenser, and cupholders. And an invisible safety bubble around it.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Scootagangsta

Post by Scootagangsta »

Piaggio BV 350
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know, Illnoise, but 120V positive ground sounds like Lucas electrics.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

The Buddy, but with:

* A rear rack that is stonger, and wider...more functional.
* Built-in flip-out foot pegs for the rider AND the passenger.
* Clock somehow integrated into the instrument cluster.
* Wheels that have bigger spaces in them (for running a chain or cable through to lock it up).
* Security screws on anything you can get to (Battery compartment, front and rear rack)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
theflash784

The perfect scooter

Post by theflash784 »

A Stella with an automatic and a 200 cc engine. I love the looks but don't want to mess with shifting- been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, just want to have more fun, less hassle. I love all the accessaries you can put on a Stella too.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

OK I'll toss in my 2cents worth.
Although I consider myself a 'mechanical moron' I can not/will not comment on mechanicals but it has to be reliable!
Sexy looking is a plus, something vintage looking for me, although sooooo many people I see say a Buddy is 'Vintage'
Big enough gas tank so I don't have to stop every 100 or so miles to fuel up.
YES, a comfortable seat.
The ability for it to compete in 'dog-eat-dog' traffic on the highway.
Oh, and did I say, it has to be sexy looking!!

Hmmm....... That sounds an awful like a Vespa GTS/GTV 300ie to me :oops: (Except for the vintage looking part)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Tom

Post by Tom »

No wheels. It levitates like the Back to the Future skate board. If it moved fast enough without the friction, I wouldn't even mind kicking. :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

…but with wings.

[EDIT: Forgot to include the Batman mod.]
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Herrybraun

Post by Herrybraun »

Have you got anyone or still searching?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The perfect scooter? If I could own only one?

I'd say the Vespa 300 ABS.

- beautiful fit and finish
- liquid cooled
- fuel injected
- ABS
- enough power for the highway
- more than adequate for touring
- reliable
- large tires (for a classic scooter)
- good suspension
- comfortable
- looks great!