GoGo Gear Appears on ABC TVs Shark Tank Friday March 23rd 8p

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GoGoGear

GoGo Gear Appears on ABC TVs Shark Tank Friday March 23rd 8p

Post by GoGoGear »

Hi there! Arlene here from GoGo Gear!

Not sure if you know this but we and our GoGo Gear are going to be appearing on the ABC TV show Shark Tank this Friday, March 23, at 8pm.

This is probably going to be the first time safety and riding get such extended attention on national television and we're hoping it gets people to think about gearing up (not just in our gear but in ANY gear) to be safe!

And one this of particular interest is that one of the Genuine is going to be seen on the show!

Tune in and see if the sharks bite on a deal or we get eaten alive by the Sharks!

And if you get a chance, vote for us on the ABC website (scroll to the bottom of the page where it will ask you what you think). We don't want to get beaten out by a beer infused ice cream! LOL!

Here's the voting site: http://abc.go.com/shows/shark-tank/

Arlene
Attachments
GoGo Gear pitches the sharks on Shark Tank
GoGo Gear pitches the sharks on Shark Tank
shark tank photo 3.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Good luck on Shark Tank! Win, lose, or draw, it will certainly be a learning experience. I can easily see where some of the Sharks will say that you are aiming at a small part of a small market, which is not their thing, but at least a couple of the sharks should be able to look past that to the possibilities of unlocking a new market with your crazy cool products and ideas.

Again, good luck!
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

GoGo! I'll vote for you! Good luck!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'd already posted about this but didn't have the great pic!

(Those models look familiar…)

That looks an awful lot like the back end of a Buddy BlackJack behind the CSC! ;)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Also, you guys look great!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

I voted already, and was surprised that GoGo Gear was 'beaten' so far only by the beer flavored Ice Cream. Best of luck to you!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i don't watch tv (to busy scooting :D ) but i'm going to watch this and vote

i'm sure ggg is better then that stand up paddle board dude. poor guys video didn't work

don't like these shows. "ooh, the pressure is on." lol

i liked when the guy told the paddle dude when the video failed "its only the biggest moment of your life." i would have been like 'well actually, no. not even close' :roll:
Riding is riding
donkin

Post by donkin »

Fantastic ladies and congrats!

Now time to go vote.
Member 2166
donkin

Post by donkin »

Everybody go and vote. The ladies are currently in third.
Member 2166
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Syd wrote:I voted already, and was surprised that GoGo Gear was 'beaten' so far only by the beer flavored Ice Cream. Best of luck to you!
yeah what's up with that. Beer flavored ice cream should not beat awesome gear.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Syd wrote:I voted already, and was surprised that GoGo Gear was 'beaten' so far only by the beer flavored Ice Cream. Best of luck to you!
yeah what's up with that. Beer flavored ice cream should not beat awesome gear.
In fact, that's about the nastiest thing I can think of right now.

/voted twice, work and home
//will vote more tomorrow
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

beer flavored ice cream isn't anything but....ice cream. is it winning?

some people are dumb
Riding is riding
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

JHScoot wrote:beer flavored ice cream isn't anything but....ice cream. is it winning?

some people are dumb
yeah, it's winning.

/go votes guys! use multiple browsers!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I can buy a $50 ice cream maker and make beer ice cream.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/01 ... b-20100701

http://www.deconstructingthehome.com/?p=513

I cannot, on the other hand, make my own armored Cordura riding jacket.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

The Romulan jacket is so cool. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

Ice-cream-flavored beer, on the other hand... :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Is it time for the big Friday morning bump for this thread? :)
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Bump because it's showtime in Central time!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

NO SPOILERS. Well, okay, spoilers. I can't watch live and was going to try to hold out until I could get home and watch but now think I just WANNA KNOW IF THEY GOT THE BIG $$$$$.

:)
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER They got Damon in for a much bigger pctage than they initially offered but they were the only ones of the night who got anything. Their fashions are amazing tho they do need the mkting and production advice. Congrats

PS It was a Blackjack and it looked amazing for the brief time it was shown.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

jprestonian wrote:The Romulan jacket is so cool. :)
I've been told that I look like a Romulan with my Hologram forever. Also, strangers want to touch me. It's bizarre wearing that jacket.
mrandmrslindholm

Congratulations!

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

Congratulations ladies! I am looking forward to seeing much more of GoGo Gear! Great products.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

that was AWESOME. mark cuban is a poopty

man i am surprised go-go gear doesn't have investers lined up out the door!

whats wrong with people if i were a billionaire i'd have Noho Scooter billboards all over town just cuz i could! i'd do that on my own, wouldn't even ask NoHo about it :p

go go gear, too. one big scooter party!

these rich people are NO FUN!

except for one with VISION. good going, go-go :)

oh and make the dude honor 55%. 65% is an outrage and only put out there because that other guy was fishing so...
Riding is riding
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

They got savaged and rightly so. You cannot go into a meeting with bottom-line types and exagerate anything. Their $2 million valuation just sank them.

However, I am happy--and very surprised--that they got backing! I thought they were very scatterbrained throughout the process and just didn't appear ready to handle the business side of it.

Still great! Very happy for them!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

pugbuddy wrote:They got savaged and rightly so. You cannot go into a meeting with bottom-line types and exagerate anything. Their $2 million valuation just sank them.

However, I am happy--and very surprised--that they got backing! I thought they were very scatterbrained throughout the process and just didn't appear ready to handle the business side of it.

Still great! Very happy for them!
pretty sure they rig the editing to build the drama. i doubt they were quite as bad off as they appeared. i did think the kid with the shoes would have gotten some backing, but seems he just wanted the money....to help pay himself with. well he has a successful shop at the beach, though. if thats as far as he ever goes its still a success
Riding is riding
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I had mixed feelings about the Europe thing, I can see why the Sharks felt that they needed to get their US operation nailed down tight first, but Europe is where the big money for this stuff is. Big picture, long term, Europe should be the goal, but Corazzo's been around for years and is just starting to make a dent in Europe, Tucano Urbano and Armadillo and others already dominate Europe and would have no problem copying their look to keep them out.

I watch that show once in a while, and there are lots of people with really good ideas and high standards and a good plan, but they get reamed just because they're not realistic. There was a guy with a pop-up truck ladder frame that would have sold millions, but he insisted on US production. I love that conviction, but if you've ever been to a truck/car/motorcycle show, you know you have about three months to dominate the market with a new product before three national distributors rip off your idea and make it in China at a quarter of the cost. It's not fair, but that's how it works. Conviction, good ideas, style, fresh ideas are all great, but don't matter to the sharks as much as the numbers and the worst-case scenario.

All that said, Go Go is awesome, and it's good they got the deal, hopefully Damon stays involved and everything goes great for them.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

illnoise wrote:...Go Go is awesome, and it's good they got the deal, hopefully Damon stays involved and everything goes great for them...
I sure hope so. Regardless of any shortcomings the business may have, they really created a product the market was lacking and opened a big new avenue for protective gear design. I just really wish they didn't have to give up such a big share of the business to get the deal. I know how hard they have worked.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

yeah i really think that should be negotiable after the fact. the 65% share thing. sure they overvalued the company but the fashion guy who finally invested was ready to go in at 38% and 50%. but he kept telling the other guy "i can't do it without you" and the other guy balked the share up to 65% and then backed out! that was underhanded

i am surprised go go gear does not do more sales. don't women want to look good going down the road? and men too, but you know....
Riding is riding
etak

Post by etak »

I also can't believe Desiree and Arlene had to go to 65% - that hurt! :(

Now that I know what a small business they really are, I'm going to try to make the next jacket I buy one of theirs!

Anyone have any experience with the Cafe jacket? I don't really really NEED a new summer jacket (yes I do, sure I do) . . . I want good visibility, and want to be able to wear it from NYC to Amerivespa this summer (which I think means not white - because it's going to get dirty!). But the hi-viz version isn't mesh? (I guess if I have this many questions I need to contact GoGo, eh?)
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

^The red cafe jacket is definitely on the top of my wish list for my next big occasion.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

illnoise wrote:....I had mixed feelings about the Europe thing, I can see why the Sharks felt that they needed to get their US operation nailed down tight first, but Europe is where the big money for this stuff is.....
well its worth pondering. i am glad they won. i mean, they really did! so lets see if we here at MB can't toss around some ideas. bad as mine are :p

ok, Europe. big market, i have no idea about regulations, trade laws, etc. so, i really can't consider it. but here is the thing either way: individuals buy and wear this gear / fashion, not groups of people. we have millions of riders here and a close community on the internet. Go-Go Gear is a known brand and sales still suck. so, what makes Go-Go Gear think millions more riders in Europe will be any more enthused? in this case if "more" doesn't translate into more sales it doesn't matter. it won't make a difference, 7 million riders here or 35 million in Europe

so yes, as you say. nail down the marketing in the U.S. first. use social network and the internet to get the name going in Europe. unless the Europe nut can be easily cracked? however the "experts" laughed at that. and i am no expert
RoadRambler wrote:^The red cafe jacket is definitely on the top of my wish list for my next big occasion.
i think if this is the idea Go-Go gives with their marketing its off target

visiting their website, well, it needs work. to say the least. i see nothing which indicates scooters or motorcycles anywhere except placed as an apparent afterthought in a few fashion shots. people holding half helmets. no one is sitting on or riding anything. fashion first? sure. but not just fashion. this is riding gear, so lets see it in use and on bike. you need more sizzle to sell these steaks

also, does Go-Go really want people "waiting" to buy a jacket for the next big occasion? the prices are very reasonable so its not an exclusive brand. a quality armored jacket or coat of any kind cost money. this is no different. but when i visit the site i see this:

when i see riders i see this

its riding gear and that is the market, above. but visiting the Go-Go Gear website you'd never know it

i think ideally almost every NEW female rider who buys a scooter / motorcycle would be aware of the Go-Go Gear brand and want one right off the bat if choosing a riding jacket. i mean, why not? i have seen several of these in person and they are nice. nicer then the asking price, even. but are they for riders or fashionistas?

both? if so they have to go together. so, a rider into fashion. this is an even smaller group. i think in that case their is a nice niche market, here. if it can be reached. price 'em up market and go exclusive. i would pay several hundred dollars+ for one of these with a bit of tweaking.

but somehow i don't think thats the idea. however visiting the website thats the idea i get. and thousands of potential customers thinking "well, when i lose 20 pounds...."

oh, and that red jacket is a STEAL at $239. why wait for that big occasion, Road Rambler. you can wear that anytime :)
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hey i found more pics on the site showing the product more. good going but i had to dig a bit to find them and they are so SMALL :(
Riding is riding
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Well, unfortunately advertising is advertising. The photos are of hot models, but the reality is that a GoGo trench can be had in a size 28. And the size 28 Vespa chick loves it...or would if it weren't already too warm to wear it ;-) (The...unusual spring we've had in the Upper Midwest means the Cafe jacket is being worn rather than the Trench)

That said, it does not do any good for the new scooter chick if the availability and suitability of said jacket for non-model-types is only known by word-of-mouth on scooter forums. Not everyone is completely jacked-in to cyberspace...yet.

etak wrote:

Anyone have any experience with the Cafe jacket? I don't really really NEED a new summer jacket (yes I do, sure I do) . . . I want good visibility, and want to be able to wear it from NYC to Amerivespa this summer (which I think means not white - because it's going to get dirty!). But the hi-viz version isn't mesh? (I guess if I have this many questions I need to contact GoGo, eh?)
I have a Cafe. Mesh, in black. LOVE it. Seriously, i liked it so much i posted a review on GGG's site. It fits perfectly, is classy, and is nice and breezy.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

so you have one, Raven. what attracted you? do you have other riding jackets?

i like the mens jackets fine. the promo pics at the site in the dirty L.A River and a back alley confuses me, though :(

i think a big part of this is just production and getting them into stores, too. to show people "this is mens riding gear and these are FOR WOMEN"

that way it is clear at point of purchase

EDIT: how about a "sell the jacket with the bike" scheme? woman like clothes and fashion, right? and the female rider market is a bit precious. so how about if dealers were able to include a Go-Go Gear jacket with the sale of a new bike? a "free one." of course free to the customer (or so they think lol) but everyone else gets paid

i'll leave the details to the powers that be....
Riding is riding
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

JHScoot wrote:so you have one, Raven. what attracted you? do you have other riding jackets?

i like the mens jackets fine. the promo pics at the site in the dirty L.A River and a back alley confuses me, though :(

i think a big part of this is just production and getting them into stores, too. to show people "this is mens riding gear and these are FOR WOMEN"

I do not have any jackets by any other manufacturer. The only riding jackets I have at this point are the GGG Trench and Cafe. I will be getting their new hoodie at some point, and if the Dracula prototype ever goes into production I will be ALL OVER THAT.

What attracted me was the following:

1a) Available in my size-as I've mentioned upthread, I'm a very nonstandard size, and the fact that both warm and cold weather women's jackets were available in my size meant more than you might imagine.

1b) The jackets fit PROPERLY. Not like "I had to get a mens jacket and now the arms are a mile too long"

2) Available in my color of choice. I like my clothes like Henry Ford liked his Model T's.

3) CLASSY. Tasteful, without excessive obnoxious graphics and branding. So many motorsports jackets are so...trashy. there, I said it.

No, they're not cheap. But that's just it; they're not cheap. I may have to save up just a bit, but i'm willing to spend a bit more for quality and fit and style.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

We have two women that hang with our "gang" here in Nashville, and both of them got personal e-mail or phone calls from Arlene when they had questions about their potential orders. That's not the kind of service any of us expect, but I can tell you, both of these ladies bought from GoGo, and are VERY happy with their purchases.

EDIT: Sorry; we have more than two women who hang with scootnashville... I should have said, "... two women who were interested in the GoGo line, and..."
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

jprestonian wrote:We have two women that hang with our "gang" here in Nashville, and both of them got personal e-mail or phone calls from Arlene when they had questions about their potential orders. That's not the kind of service any of us expect, but I can tell you, both of these ladies bought from GoGo, and are VERY happy with their purchases.

EDIT: Sorry; we have more than two women who hang with scootnashville... I should have said, "... two women who were interested in the GoGo line, and..."
I had extended email exchanges with Arlene about my jackets, and have already emailed back-and-forth about the hoodies...cause I want one of those hoodies like MAD. So yeah, I agree a brazillion percent about the customer service. They're good peeps.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You'd think people had never seen an ad for the Gap, Levi's or, really, just about anything on the planet when they talk about products only being shown on attractive people. Uh… yeah, of course.

Even when using more "real-sized" or plus-sized models, they're still much better looking than average.

Whether it's right or wrong, we can't change the fact that buyers respond to images of attractive people. Some people don't like that, but when you have a small business that needs to appeal to a very broad group on a limited budget, your top priority probably isn't profoundly changing the culture.

At the very least, none of the photos have been retouched to make the models look impossibly thin, give them skin like ceramics, etc.

A photo of me was once used on a postcard for their men's jacket. (I only knew about it after the fact!) I don't think it did much for sales, but a lot of my friends thought it was hilarious. Had I known, I probably would have retouched it to take a dozen or so pounds off, ha.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ravenlore wrote:
JHScoot wrote:so you have one, Raven. what attracted you? do you have other riding jackets?

I do not have any jackets by any other manufacturer. The only riding jackets I have at this point are the GGG Trench and Cafe. I will be getting their new hoodie at some point, and if the Dracula prototype ever goes into production I will be ALL OVER THAT.

What attracted me was the following:

1a) Available in my size-as I've mentioned upthread, I'm a very nonstandard size, and the fact that both warm and cold weather women's jackets were available in my size meant more than you might imagine.

1b) The jackets fit PROPERLY. Not like "I had to get a mens jacket and now the arms are a mile too long"

2) Available in my color of choice. I like my clothes like Henry Ford liked his Model T's.

3) CLASSY. Tasteful, without excessive obnoxious graphics and branding. So many motorsports jackets are so...trashy. there, I said it.

No, they're not cheap. But that's just it; they're not cheap. I may have to save up just a bit, but i'm willing to spend a bit more for quality and fit and style.
great customer, right here :)

and yes not terribly inexpensive but when compared to other quality armored jackets, well, i've seen some priced even higher that look like crap. so these seem like a deal, as they are original designs, and good ones

with a little bling and fancy buttons i bet they could get twice the price :)
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:You'd think people had never seen an ad for the Gap, Levi's or, really, just about anything on the planet when they talk about products only being shown on attractive people. Uh… yeah, of course.

Even when using more "real-sized" or plus-sized models, they're still much better looking than average.

Whether it's right or wrong, we can't change the fact that buyers respond to images of attractive people. Some people don't like that, but when you have a small business that needs to appeal to a very broad group on a limited budget, your top priority probably isn't profoundly changing the culture.
looks and changing the culture has nothing to do with it. people ride and they want to feel like what they are buying online might fit and be comfortable for them to wear while riding, not while standing and looking pretty. all that is well and good, but so is emphasizing a bit of the other. riders do want practicality as well, right? so i just feel "first impression" at the site is important. idk? you have some web design experience as well as other creative interests so you would know more about this then i. that is just my off the cuff impression.

so far as good looking people? eric, we are all good looking people. that has nothing to do with it. maybe more varied body types sitting on some bikes might be good? thats all i was saying. who the hell wants to look at an ugly model? not me. but....i think women like to see a bit of themselves in the product. so, maybe broaden the marketing vision a little?

damn its not easy selling stuff to people :(
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I, as a plus size female rider, am SERIOUSLY attracted to this brand. There are a FEW things that kept me from buying GoGo.

As a (previously) year-round rider in the middle of the East Coast, I couldn't afford to drop that much money on a jacket that wouldn't cut it for cold. I couldn't find any reviews or personal testimony SOLID enough to lead me to believe that any of these coats would be warm enough for my purposes.

I see have some issues with the products as listed/presented on the site.

A) ONLY the Trench and Cafe jackets are listed as available in Women's plus sizes... and there is not sizing chart. While I am very sure that if I emailed and asked for measurements on a particular jacket, I'd get some kind of response- I don't believe I should have to do that, it's frustrating to be constantly second-guessing what size to order. Secondly- I don't like that they only offer 2 of their products in women's plus.

B) I realize that their concern is fashion first and their climate is again, not mine, and maybe their target clientele isn't me! But it SHOULD be. Making their jackets not JUST fashionable but ALSO practical will help them compete with other gear companies. I, as a cold weather, all year rider, need these super fashionable jackets to have more practical features. Some of them say waterproof, some say water resistant... well, I need waterproof POCKETS. With waterproof closures to them. I need zip-out liners for warmth... I think only one jacket, the Military, has that listed as a feature. That awesome trench? It needs to be a little longer. The world of female motorist gear needs more truly 3/4 length coats (which it doesn't look to be in the photos). That hot Military? Does the neck actually adjust so that no cold air goes down your neck, or less does? Don't get me started on windproof.

I'm complaining about cold weather... but one could argue the same for hot weather. I only see one of their products that boasts mesh on it ANYWHERE.

C) This is last because it's the least important. I like the designs and colors and ideas they have goin on- love them even... but I'd like more. The trench? I'd love it in a nice chocolate brown or a khaki. Or, maybe a burgundy. Get creative. The Trench and Cafe are the only two with color options (the cafe the only one with a hi-vis!) and the Trench, for whatever reason, adds an extra 20 freaking dollars for grey vs black. As long as I'm paying more for not black, why not get some other color options in there?

[Aside- I lied. All the men's jacket's speak about having windproof closures, and the Men's GO jacket lists and zip out liner as well as mesh lining and back vents AND being the ONLY jacket of theirs to advertise Cordura. At $219, I'd be damned tempted to get the Men's GO instead of any of the ladies jackets simply because of these things]

In conclusion... I don't know whether they just need their website updated with better, more detailed product listings or what... but these things are what kept me slightly too skeptical and why my mother and I ended up spending 50 or so more dollars on a Kilimanjaro.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

The sizing chart is here: http://www.gogogearla.com/pages/Technic ... Chart.html. Arlene is extremely helpful with sizing. As anyone, she wants to get it right on the first try.

I have the Hologram & non-ventilated Cafe Jacket. I love both jackets. Seattle did have a colder than normal winter so I bought a Tucano Urbano parka.

The Cafe Jacket is wonderful during the summer months. Mine is not ventilated so I just button the coat without zipping on the hot summer day. I am much more protected than wearing short sleeves. Plus, motorcycle jackets give me 80's flashbacks but not in a good way. I've added pics of a non-model wearing the jacket.

Scooterists are blown away when I tell them that this has armor.
Attachments
309273_10150285156982622_803707621_7614259_5326427_n.jpg
309273_10150285156982622_803707621_7614259_5326427_n.jpg (46.17 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
283516_10150273486432622_803707621_7503266_6472118_n (1).jpg
283516_10150273486432622_803707621_7503266_6472118_n (1).jpg (98.75 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Jackie F wrote:The sizing chart is here: http://www.gogogearla.com/pages/Technic ... Chart.html. Arlene is extremely helpful with sizing. As anyone, she wants to get it right on the first try.

I have the Hologram & non-ventilated Cafe Jacket. I love both jackets. Seattle did have a colder than normal winter so I bought a Tucano Urbano parka.

The Cafe Jacket is wonderful during the summer months. Mine is not ventilated so I just button the coat without zipping on the hot summer day. I am much more protected than wearing short sleeves. Plus, motorcycle jackets give me 80's flashbacks but not in a good way. I've added pics of a non-model wearing the jacket.

Scooterists are blown away when I tell them that this has armor.

WTF? I'm looking at a totally different GoGo site... :shock:

EDIT: After taking a minute or two to browse through this newer site, it looks as if the only changes (relevant to my previous post) are that the cafe jacket has an additional hi-vis yellow option, the addition of the sizing chart (which is great) AND the note at the bottom of product entries of the ladies willingness to forego the shipping on exchanges if the customer needs a different size, which I do think is amazing of them and does make me feel A LOT more comfortable about purchasing from them.
The rest of what I wrote still applies, I think though.

2nd EDIT to thank Jackie for think link to the right site...
Syd

Post by Syd »

I watched the show online a couple hours ago, and like the few other times I've watched, the show ended and I still feel dirty.

I hope you really did get what you wanted, Arlene. Best of luck to you.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

LunaP wrote:I, as a plus size female rider, am SERIOUSLY attracted to this brand. There are a FEW things that kept me from buying GoGo.
Admittedly, I bought two jackets to cover hot and cold. Last weekend it was 80-ish and the Cafe kept me cool.

This morning it was 37 and raining and the Trench kept me warm and dry. (Commute is about 20 min)

Admittedly the color selection may well be an issue for just about anyone BUT me ;-)
etak

Post by etak »

The website definitely needs a lot of work! I was surprised at how inefficient and confusing it was. But I want to support this company. (Hopefully by buying a hi-vis mesh jacket, which they don't currently offer.) :(
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

etak wrote:The website definitely needs a lot of work! I was surprised at how inefficient and confusing it was. But I want to support this company. (Hopefully by buying a hi-vis mesh jacket, which they don't currently offer.) :(
As Jackie pointed out to me up top, there are apparently two sites and one seems to be older than the other.

http://www.scooter-girls.com/index.html seems to be the older one which I was looking at, while

http://www.gogogearla.com/ seems to be a newer one that's a -tad- more comprehensive... AND they have added a hi-vis yellow cafe jacket on this site which is not on the previous site, it sounds like that may interest you
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

LOLDOUBLEPOST sorry...
ravenlore wrote:
LunaP wrote:I, as a plus size female rider, am SERIOUSLY attracted to this brand. There are a FEW things that kept me from buying GoGo.
Admittedly, I bought two jackets to cover hot and cold. Last weekend it was 80-ish and the Cafe kept me cool.

This morning it was 37 and raining and the Trench kept me warm and dry. (Commute is about 20 min)

Admittedly the color selection may well be an issue for just about anyone BUT me ;-)
In the end, here I most likely would have needed a summer coat as well, I was going to have to cross that bridge when I got there... I had planned on just taking the liner out of my Kilimanjaro and dealing with it until it got UNBEARABLE, and maybe buying a cheapo clearance mesh if I could for such the circumstance. I doubt I could have actually kept living with only one coat... but in the meantime I would've had to make do, and I'm sure I'm not the only rider out there who can only afford to buy one 300 dollar coat per year.

As for the color/options thing... I realize I'm being a little picky with my critique, especially with the colors thing. I'm totally with all of you... I can/am willing to wear some of the less brash looking jackets with no logos or writing... but even then... well, definitely NOT a lady's ideal look. I think that's what we can all agree on, right? Gogo Gear attracts us because it looks so much closer to something we could walk into Macy's and buy, rather than ordering from MotorcycleSuperstore.

BUT... on the flip side... IF that's the aim... why not offer COLORS that NOBODY else does??? I guess that's what I was getting at. There's ONE red. And ONE hi-vis yellow. Other than that, the Vintage and the Hologran are the only two coats that are not black or grey. The Vintage is a pattern that personally, I like, but I would HATE it on myself and it wouldn't match anything I wore, for sure. Then there's the Hologram- which, again, is awesome looking in the photos, but... (pardon my abruptness) I don't want to be f%$king shiny... I would look hideous. That is a HOT coat. Both of them. AND they are 3/4 length like I was talking about! But the patterns alone kill me and keep me from ordering them. What about an awesome B&W houndstooth (I think I'd kill for the Vintage in a houndstooth, actually, now that I think about it)? Or a muted fall-colored plaid? But at heart I'm a pretty plain girl, and a nice solid that could work in all four seasons would suit me just fine as well for say, the Trench or Military.

Sorry. Overboard. Girly side coming out I guess. :oops:

I am glad to know that the Trench keeps you warm at 37+riding wind. I'd need it to be reliable to 27+riding wind (with layers underneath, of course)... I don't know if you have any experience with it at those temps. How is it in solid rain? Are the neck/button closures drafty?
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

LunaP wrote:
I am glad to know that the Trench keeps you warm at 37+riding wind. I'd need it to be reliable to 27+riding wind (with layers underneath, of course)... I don't know if you have any experience with it at those temps. How is it in solid rain? Are the neck/button closures drafty?
I was not wearing layers or a neckwarmer/balaclava/other warmgear. I imagine with actual cold-weather clothing you'd be ok. It was windy this morning and even more so this afternoon.

Solid rain? you you mean "more than drizzle" or do you mean "sleet/snow"? (i'm not riding in snow! ;-) )

This morning was actually my first ever ride in precip-it was coming down well enough that pedestrians had umbrellas. And the Trench did just fine.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ravenlore wrote:
LunaP wrote:
I was not wearing layers or a neckwarmer/balaclava/other warmgear. I imagine with actual cold-weather clothing you'd be ok. It was windy this morning and even more so this afternoon.

Solid rain? you you mean "more than drizzle" or do you mean "sleet/snow"? (i'm not riding in snow! ;-) )

This morning was actually my first ever ride in precip-it was coming down well enough that pedestrians had umbrellas. And the Trench did just fine.

Hrrrmmm. This iiiiiissss good to know. I may be criticizing, but I actually am starting to wonder if, once I see some *ahem* replacement monies, I may enjoy a Military or a Trench from GoGo instead of reordering my Kilimanjaro (especially if I don't have the worry of a scoot as my primary vehicle any longer... after what I just went through it does greatly worry me that a lot of their jacket descriptions say 'abrasion resistant', as if they aren't as tough as they COULD be? I could be a worrywart though). By 'solid rain' I meant 'more than a drizzle for your entire drive' (you're right, I should've clarified). Sleet/snow... well... I'm still required to get to work, but if it was snowing enough to stick to the road, my backup plan was 'call mom'. :oops: