First ride with Scooter McCaw

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

squawkersmccaw

First ride with Scooter McCaw

Post by squawkersmccaw »

I woke up almost in a panic. What if this is a huge mistake? What if I really can’t learn to ride? I guess I’ll just have to sell it. Everyone’s going to think I’ve lost my mind, but that’s nothing new.

Scooter McCaw was delivered at 9:30 this morning. Michael rolled him into the street and handed me the keys. What if I can’t control this thing? What if I crash it on my first day? Normally, I don’t carry my health insurance card around, but today I have tucked it into my wallet. Just in case.

I ride down the dead end street and back. Again. Again. Wave hello to the neighbors. By now I am stopping exactly where I mean to stop, and getting my feet up sooner and sooner on takeoff. I decide to visit the high school parking lot less than a mile away. Spend some time practicing starts and stops, riding a straight line as slow as I can, making tighter and tighter circles. Figure 8’s. Quick stops. I spend a couple of hours there. A few cars come and go, picking up teenagers from practice. I keep my distance and make sure they see me. I am ready to head back toward home, but first take some time to visit the lightly travelled side roads along the way.

I have never seen these houses before. The dogwood blossoms are raining down, white, pink, white. I smell all kinds of flowers I can’t name. Someone is cooking bacon! Once in a while, I’ll encounter a car. A couple of times, I notice I might be holding someone up, so I pull over to let them pass. At a four way stop, a driver doesn’t notice me or doesn’t think I have the right of way. I don’t panic. I knew she was going to do this. I’m in no hurry to get anywhere. I am starting to feel a little fatigue. I have taken breaks throughout the day, but now my shoulders are feeling tight. Time to go home.

What if I never go home? What if I can’t stop riding?

I’ve scared myself a couple of times. Hitting a speed bump, my instinct to “hang on tight” led me to give it more throttle than I meant to coming off the bump. I did better on the next one. I had to put my foot down once in a tight turn. The next time I came up on that turn, I went in slower. I’ve put the first 35 miles on my new scoot now. I am 52 years old, learning how to have fun. I can’t stop smiling.
I squawk, therefore I am.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Love it!
It's great to hear you are taking this slow and not over-riding your abilities.
Awesome day of practice and very smart of you to listen to your body. Sounds like you will be a very practical rider.
It's amazing how much fun a scooter is, isn't it?
I have much more fun on mine than I ever had on either of my motorcycles in my youth (I'm 47).
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
etak

Post by etak »

:D :D After reading your post, I can't stop smiling! Welcome to the club.

p.s. I was 52 when I started riding! :D :D
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

juls64

Post by juls64 »

This is a wonderful post!!! Reflects a lot of my feelings as i just got my first scooter about a month ago. It is amazing how quickly you will build confidence and your skill level will grow. Every time I go into the garage and see Fireball, I feel like its my birthday!

Happy riding and thanks for sharing your story!

Julie
squawkersmccaw

Post by squawkersmccaw »

Thanks, guys! It's great to hear from some other riders around my age. Squawk!

still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Macaw, I still miss mine. Congrats on the scoot enjoy! R
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Congrats on your pretty scoot, and I like your matching jacket too! This makes me smile and it sounds like you are getting along well! Looking forward to more happy go lucky posts!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Including the mistakes; they're part of learning. And you've clearly already learned the Joy of Scooting: you can go places and be places at the same time!

I was 44 when I got my scooter, which really isn't much younger than you, and you're certainly not the oldest person to hop in the saddle for the first time. Plus, there's something to be said for coming at things with some actual life experience behind you, which you wouldn't have had on your side if you were one of these kids I see hopping on these things. :shock:
Last edited by TVB on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

What an awesome post. And a lovely picture.

I think you've made the whole board smile.

I hope you get to ride all day tomorrow too! :-D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I highly recommend the MSF Basic Rider Course for any new scooterist. Yes, some people learn on their own. But a lot of people also crash. The course gives you a great foundation in skills you'll need every time you ride. And it's been shown that completing the course reduces your risk of a crash.

In many new rider threads, you'll see posts going on like broken records, "Take the MSF, take the MSF, etc. etc." There's a reason for that!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
theflash784

First ride on Scooter McCaw

Post by theflash784 »

Congrats on your new ride! 52 must be a special age- I got my last Buddy last year after i turned 52. I had a little Yamaha 80 when I was 19 but sold that a few years later after my son was born. I hadn't ridden since until I got the Buddy. I live in a manufacture home community - aka trailer park so when I got my Buddy home, I rode around my complex, practicnig my stops and turns. Once I felt I had blown the rust off my skills, I went on the main roads when I knew traffic would be light. I don't like riding at night but I enjoy taking the scooters for rides whenever the weather is nice and I'm not taking care of my grand daughter.
squawkersmccaw

Post by squawkersmccaw »

I am signed up for MSF April 6-8 and looking forward to it!

still shifting, macaws are very cool birds. I'm so sorry you lost yours. I have two cockatiels myself, and I named myself after my animatronic companion, Mr. Squawkers McCaw (sic). I have never felt I had enough time or space to devote to a "real" macaw, but my 'tiels make me happy and are big birds on the inside!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

is 52 old. is it? hell no! good for you

i rode my first motorized two wheeled anything at 45, basically. now i think i am 25 :P

congrats on that scoot! the color suits you. and of course, red is the fastest color available
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

You'll get used to it fast.

I would say save the longer stuff for after your MSF class, but do enjoy!
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

I totally get what you are saying. I just got my scooter about a month ago as a 50th birthday present to myself. I got myself two things actually, my Buddy, (isn't that the perfect name for them!), and a vintage Fender Stratocaster 12-string electric, (always been a George Harrison fan but find Rickenbachers a bit hard to handle). Starting in 2008 my luck went from bad to worse. After working in a gallery that I loved, for about 12 years , and being a gallery director, I lost my job, lost sort of everything, then my mom became ill and it was... Not a great time. My mom passed away a year ago in January about two weeks before my birthday. The last year had been an ordeal and suddenly I realize I was turning 50. I decided that this half was MY half and I was going to do my own thing.

I had been considering buying a scooter for quite some time. I live in the city, and a scooter is a very viable means of getting around here. I was dropping $50 a week in gas for my car. Now a tank of gas lasts me two weeks and my scooter is SO fun. Like you I am seeing my city in a whole different light. I have found streets, shops, cafes, parks, etc that I never knew existed. And I thought I knew my city. I've seen some real jerks on the road who really seem to resent two wheels but more people have stopped me to tell me how cool my scooter is, (yes, Manuel, my little Pamplona, is very, very cool). I love it when I take off my helmet and the see that I'm not a kid. A lot of them are close to my age and I can see from their questions that it has given them some ideas.

You see a pattern here? Most of us on this thread are at the tail end of the Baby Boom. Technically I barely squeeze in to that group but never felt anything in common with them but too old to be a Generation X-er. Looks like we view things a bit differently than our older brothers and sisters... And I think it's great.
Have fun with your scooter, really great pic! You look so happy! (but please wear a helmet).
96 Decibel Freaks
squawkersmccaw

Post by squawkersmccaw »

No worries there. Helmet and gloves went on before the key was in the ignition. This was just a photo opportunity with Vespa Lexington for their blog; I wanted my friends to see it was me!

I love hearing all these stories of taking up scootering later in life! I am in good company here!

And Manuel is so handsome! I wanted a Pamplona too, but would have had to wait longer for it, so went with the solid red.
smarkum

Post by smarkum »

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! LOVE your jacket!

Enjoy!
TVB

Post by TVB »

squawkersmccaw wrote:And Manuel is so handsome! I wanted a Pamplona too, but would have had to wait longer for it, so went with the solid red.
The red ones are the fastest.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Yeah, there must be something about this someone should do a study or something. I bought my buddy for myself three years ago as my 49th birthday was approaching. It was kind of a bad time in my life, I needed a 'pick-me-up' I did and still refer to it as my mid-life crisis vehicle.
I'd been riding the 50cc for a while as my son, whom I'd originally purchased it for when he was in High School, had graduated, gone to boot camp and was currently deployed. Well anyhow, I wanted an 'upgrade'
Unlike you, and others, I had recent riding experience but hadn't ridden anything bigger since high school in the 1970's
My first day with 'Simon' was a scary yet exhilarating one. I bought used and had to retrieve it from it's previous owners. A friend picked me up in the morning, took me the 25 miles to the other side of Harrisburg (Pa) to get it. I literally shook. I ride about 5-6 miles to her house for lunch, then proceeded home, Uggg...... I had to go through, through, OMG THROUGH, the city! I thought.
I rode 'down river' towards home with mixed feelings about my purchase, just as you, was it the right thing to do? I stopped by the Three Mile Island power plant to take a breather, maybe there was some extra radiation in the air that day, the thought hit me like a slap, Hell YEAH, this is fun!!!
Needless to say, I kept riding. That first day I put gas in my buddy three times!
So is there there something about riding, turning 49-52, riding a Buddy? Who cares damnit, My kids say I'm crazy, I prefer eccentric......
Be happy and enjoy.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Mutt the Hoople

Oh yes. There is a common thread in this thread. It's a slightly eccentric take on the proverbial red-midlife-crisis-convertable. That slight pang of worry and angst that you felt when you first made the move and got your scooter? Yeah, I felt it too. It's guilt. Not our guilt mind you, but years and years of hearing and being told that anything on two wheels that is motorized is BAD and people that RIDE on anything with two wheels and a motor are REALLY BAD. Rember the episode of the old Dick Van Dyke show where Rob gets a little motorcycle and Laura is so upset and Buddy and Sally get him the black leather jacket with the tulip on the back? LOL???

I had one friend tell me outright when I was saying how much I love my scooter a d how much I love my city again that she didn't want to hear it, she hates "motorcycles". Has anyone else noticed that the ONLY people who do not think scooters are motor cycles are:
People who ride scooters
People who WILL ride scooters
And motorcyclists
Everyone else sees no difference at all.
(their loss :-) )
And we... The Scooter People... Are going around with the kinds of grins on our faces that are usually see. On people who just smoked a few, ahem, herbs.

Yesterday I was zipping through Forrest Park and had my first small winged insect on my teeth experience... And did I get upset? Nooooooo, I gleefully spat the bitter thing out and thought woooo whooooo, my first bug and I don't even care. I did make a mental note to myself: avoid lipgloss that insects are likely to stick to. Check. Get a windshield. Check.

I just think the sour drivers of cars and other middle aged-humbugs can't stand to see people like us loving our scoots to the point of giddiness. I love my Manuel <3 smack love him to infinity. Never loved a vehicle like this. Never named one... I did have a Mercedes that I referred to as Sadie the Bitch. Did not have her around long. She reminded me of my mother... All looks, ridiculously expensive to maintain, and totally unreliable. On the other hand, Manuel is the man of my dreams, and he never tells me that my behind is to big, he is loyally close, smart, and sticks to me like glue.

OMG... I am in love with. Much younger man (I am a 1962 model and Manuel is a 2012)... Does that make me a scootercougar?
:shock:
I don't care if it does! 8)
96 Decibel Freaks
TVB

Post by TVB »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:OMG... I am in love with. Much younger man (I am a 1962 model and Manuel is a 2012)... Does that make me a scootercougar?
If this wasn't a word before, it needs to be one now. :)
Tam Tam

Awesome!!!!

Post by Tam Tam »

Congrats on your scoot! i still remember with crystal clarity when I pulled out of the dealer parking lot on my first scooter, a 50 cc honda, and it felt amazing!
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
etak

Post by etak »

Mutt the Hoople wrote: Does that make me a scootercougar?
Hello. My name is Kate and I am a scootercougar!
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

squawkersmccaw

Post by squawkersmccaw »

:D a Mercedes that I referred to as Sadie the Bitch. Did not have her around long. She reminded me of my mother... :D

LOVED this!

I hear you on the guilt too. My parents are among those who despise and fear any vehicle on two wheels. One of the worst fights I ever had with my dad was over a Honda Twinstar I bought when I was 22. He was right when he said I had no business with that bike. I didn't have a clue how to operate it, and I didn't keep it long.

I went through all varieties of guilt while deciding to adopt my Buddy. I worried that I am being selfish and irresponsible. What if I get hurt and family members end up having to take care of me? What about the expense? Shouldn't I use the money for something that could be shared with my partner?

In the end, I had to decide that my happiness benefits those with whom I come into contact. I try to make sure that is true. I try to honor my own need for happiness and a little adventure. I truly feel that I am coming alive again. I am a very risk averse person. Very. The scooter is about saying "yes" to life, including the bugs and the dangers. I think I will be a stronger person for it.

Scootercouger...you crack me up, Mutt!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

This thread exemplifies why I, a non-Buddy owner, keep coming back to Modern Buddy.

Big +1.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I think I just like happy people, in general.
hg3

Post by hg3 »

Great to read these reaffirming comments - Here I am almost 72 and have just purchased a non-runing chinese scooter. I have obtained a CA M1 permit and figure on taking the MSF class for M1 and maybe by then I will find out what the problem is with this used bright red BMS V9 - which is a knock off of your Scooter McCaw. I know the BMS is not a Buddy but for 300.00, I felt best to know what goes on inside as well as out side before I seriously consider purchase of a Blur - which is how I became an interested in Genuine and a member of this forum.

Thank you squawkersmccaw for your beginning comments and all the others who replied.

I also enjoy 'Happy People'.

Family members concerns - well that is another story :P
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

squawkersmccaw wrote::D a Mercedes that I referred to as Sadie the Bitch. Did not have her around long. She reminded me of my mother... :D

LOVED this!

I hear you on the guilt too. My parents are among those who despise and fear any vehicle on two wheels. One of the worst fights I ever had with my dad was over a Honda Twinstar I bought when I was 22. He was right when he said I had no business with that bike. I didn't have a clue how to operate it, and I didn't keep it long.

I went through all varieties of guilt while deciding to adopt my Buddy. I worried that I am being selfish and irresponsible. What if I get hurt and family members end up having to take care of me? What about the expense? Shouldn't I use the money for something that could be shared with my partner?

In the end, I had to decide that my happiness benefits those with whom I come into contact. I try to make sure that is true. I try to honor my own need for happiness and a little adventure. I truly feel that I am coming alive again. I am a very risk averse person. Very. The scooter is about saying "yes" to life, including the bugs and the dangers. I think I will be a stronger person for it.
!
i love it!

this is just the very nice way of saying "screw you i'm 52 and i'm SCOOTING!!" :D :P
Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

One of the best first ride posts we've had here!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

First ride posts are the best! They're the absolute most wonderful posts I've seen on any enthusiasts sites time and time again. They remind me *why* I ride. Congrats on your new-found passion.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Mutt the Hoople

I think we are all with Squawk on this!!! Omg that photo is so great! That huge smile says it all. I was out today and went to put gas in my scooter and I was in line and when it was my turn I say $3.50 and they all turned around and looked. The cashier was great. I put my gas in and it only had room for $3.00!!! I went to get my change and the guy at the register said ,"That's it, I'm getting one of those things. I've been thinking about it, now I'm going to do it". As I was leaving I noticed that I now have 350 miles on it. And all of them fun.

Oh man, you all are right! This is a really happy group of super nice people. I Am so happy I joined this group and I am so happy with my scooter... Ahhh Manuel my sweet, my love. My little Latin Vroom vroom.
96 Decibel Freaks
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

LOVE this thread. :D

I started riding a Buddy in 2009, at the age of 48. I had a mishap with a car pulling out in front of me about 2 months after I started riding (luckily I was not injured due to my full face helmet and armored jacket...though my Buddy was not so fortunate), and never had any doubts that I would be riding as soon as I could get another Buddy...which luckily was only a week or so later. :P

I've been riding ever since, and enjoying every moment of it!

(Welcome hg3...I hope we see more posts, and pix, from you :D )
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Note to self:
re: bugs:

When riding and 'talking to self' at same time, keep mouth closed!
That bug that was going all pin-ball in the back of throat with tonsils didn't taste all that good..... :P
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
scubadoobie

Re: First ride with Scooter McCaw

Post by scubadoobie »

squawkersmccaw wrote: I am 52 years old, learning how to have fun. I can’t stop smiling.
Yes...yes...yes!!

My first scooter was delivered just after my 57th birthday last year and it's been a blast! The big smile on my face when riding the iScoot must be contagious because the majority of people I make eye contact with are smiling back. :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of scooting, Squawk. It's a life-changer!
Scooting is good for the soul....

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Well, my first semi-scooter (Honda Trail 90) was my daily-driver in college, followed by a 4-cyl Honda, then a Yamaha scooter when I was in my thirties, but dog-gone-it, my first Buddy was at age 51. :)

Unlike most folks, I didn't have the opportunity to test-ride the Buddy. I researched the carp out of the available scooters in town, most of which were PRC junk, few mid-size (50cc< x <250cc) models available from the major motorcycle manufacturers, and I was too much of a cheap bastage to buy a Vespa. So yeah, I bought the Buddy on a leap of faith (sight-unseen / ride unrode?), based on all the positive stories here. Plunked down the dough, but had to wait a few days for the free racks & such from Genuine.

The Mrs. dropped me off at the dealer on D-day, a cool but clear January afternoon. Gulp. I'm committed now! The dealership is at the intersection of two busy streets, but there's a quiet side-street on the other side by a high school. I figured I'd better ride up and down that side street a couple of times and get used to the weight, balance, throttle, and brakes before heading home. So up and down I went. And with every turn and stop, it all came back to me. Just like riding a ... er... bicycle? :)

So off I went to the gas station (dealer prep ain't all it's cracked up to be), squirted in a couple bucks worth (with a big smile), and headed home, a couple miles away. When I got there, the Mrs.' car was already home. I rolled up and gave a toot on the horn. Oops, hello to you, too, Mr. Stebel! So after said visual/aural evidence that I survived the ride home from the dealer, I told her I'd be back before dark (which didn't leave me much time). Off I went for a 10-mile buzz around the neighborhood. And it was Good.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ritcherw

Re: First ride with Scooter McCaw

Post by ritcherw »

squawkersmccaw wrote:I have never seen these houses before. The dogwood blossoms are raining down, white, pink, white. I smell all kinds of flowers I can’t name. Someone is cooking bacon! Once in a while, I’ll encounter a car. A couple of times, I notice I might be holding someone up, so I pull over to let them pass. At a four way stop, a driver doesn’t notice me or doesn’t think I have the right of way. I don’t panic. I knew she was going to do this. I’m in no hurry to get anywhere. I am starting to feel a little fatigue. I have taken breaks throughout the day, but now my shoulders are feeling tight. Time to go home.
Absolutely amazing and adorable story - chapeau for trying this and for working it out. That is really incredible you know? You can be quite proud of yourself. I remember my first ride - I was in panic from beginning to end. I was literally shaking. :D But when I got on again (like I would give up?!^^) I got the feeling you had - I went to places I have seen from a new ankle, I have seem beautiful flowers online norwich that I have never seen before, streets and houses that seemed radically new and I felt so good!
TVB

Post by TVB »

My first ride was white knuckles all the way. My friend who dropped me off followed me to a Burger King a few traffic-less blocks away (my treat, for giving me a ride). I tried to get him to leave the dealer first, but he thought it would be safer to follow, where he could see if I had trouble. Which isn't true, because he's a horrible driver; I wanted him where I could see him. :shock: I didn't have my full gear yet, so I wore my bicycle helmet and gloves. (I tell ya, there's a reason they don't put big vents in motorcycle helmets: those bike helmets catch a lot of wind at 30mph!)

Anyway, I was glad to have a chance to stop and collect myself for a bit before heading home. I needed it. I'd mapped out the least-trafficked route home, but there were still some cars on the road! Instead of using the left-turn lane at an intersection, I turned right, ducked into a parking lot to turn around, then went straight through it.

I've since grown more confident. :)