Spring Bling product advice

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

nackedei

Spring Bling product advice

Post by nackedei »

I've got $300 to spend at scooterworks, and a Pamplona to add stuff to. Anyone got any recommendations, or things to shy away from? Something you got on a lark but now can't live without? I figure I'll definitely get a rear rack, but other than that I've no idea.

Has anyone used the Gen-u-bin storage system for the front, and found it useful or useless?

Are there <em>any</em> luggage accessories that can take a modular helmet (and lock)? Does anyone have anything good to say about the Genuine top case?

Many thanks!
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

I bought a Genuine top case 2 years ago, and there is nothing holding the pin that keeps the latch and spring connected to the case from sliding out... which mine does... regularly.... i no longer use it because i t was popping open on me while i was riding. I would go for something nicer, unless they have fixed this design flaw.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Epoxy the pin in :),

And yes, they got rid of that design from what I understand. The new cases look like much better quality.

Rear rack and a top case would be first 2 on my list

2.) cowl bars if you like them?
3.) windshield? ( I'm not a fan but many are )
4) tune up or maintenance items
5) clothing, coffee mugs swag etc?

just a few ideas
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
scubadoobie

Re: Spring Bling product advice

Post by scubadoobie »

nackedei wrote:Has anyone used the Gen-u-bin storage system for the front, and found it useful or useless?

Are there <em>any</em> luggage accessories that can take a modular helmet (and lock)? Does anyone have anything good to say about the Genuine top case?
I use a Gen-u-bin and really like it. Check out another discussion on it
here. I posted some pics in that thread.

Genuine is using a new mfr for the top cases and they are supposed to be much better products. Discussion
here. I haven't got mine yet...will post review when it comes in.
Scooting is good for the soul....

neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The one thing I found that is a must for any scooter:

Racks. Front, rear... don't matter! And a few of those nifty bungee nets. Trust me, you will find soooo many uses for those racks that you didn't even think of. You'll wonder how you functioned without them. And they come in chrome or matte black depending on what look you want so you don't have to ruin the look of your bike if you're going for a certain color combo! And you'll have plenty of change left over for other toys or swag.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

neotrotsky wrote:Racks. Front, rear... don't matter! And a few of those nifty bungee nets. Trust me, you will find soooo many uses for those racks that you didn't even think of. You'll wonder how you functioned without them.
+1 :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
JHScoot

Re: Spring Bling product advice

Post by JHScoot »

scubadoobie wrote:
nackedei wrote:Has anyone used the Gen-u-bin storage system for the front, and found it useful or useless?

I use a Gen-u-bin and really like it. Check out another discussion on it
here. I posted some pics in that thread.

Genuine is using a new mfr for the top cases and they are supposed to be much better products. Discussion
here. I haven't got mine yet...will post review when it comes in.
The Gen-ubin is an awesome product. Cup holder is invaluable.
Riding is riding
KevinD

Post by KevinD »

I picked up a 2009 Pamplona about a month ago. First $500 went to new tire, full service, prima pipe, rear chrome rack. Broke the pop rivets to take off the rear reflectors and replaced with chrome license plate holder. Just ordered a chrome front bumper, big brake kit and adjustable ncy shock like the Black Jack. For $25 I ordered the Voodoo running light adapter and in less than 10 mins had running lights. Last up - ordered the newer dark brown grips and plan on having my seat lowered and done up in a dark brown with cranberry stitching.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I " blinged" my scooter gradually. I tend to go for things I consider to be necessary 1st. Those were
1 rear rack
2 top case
3 windshield
4 GPS mount
5 lowered seat (on back order)
I might do Gen-U-Bin at some point
I Might change handle bar covers since lowered seat is black and the covers I have now match the current seat (gray)
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
run_sarah_run

Post by run_sarah_run »

I have only made a few upgrades to my Psycho, but I did it in order of what my priorities were. First, I got a rear rack and then opted for the cowl protectors a week later. Those two things are invaluable because the rear rack is very convenient to carry almost anything the pet carrier cannot. Always grab a bungee cord from any local store. The cowl protectors are literally and extra form of insurance for your bike. My friends have dropped theirs and been in wrecks but because of the protectors their scooters only had scratches on the cowl protectors which is much less damage than is anticipated. I have been looking into the gen-u-bin as well as the top case but I do not travel very far or have the use for the top case just yet so I will hold off on it.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Racks- I prefer a rear rack because I hate the look of front racks, but that's just me (idk if they have it online but they make a cute feaux-wicker basket in either brown or black to go on the front instead of a rack)
I got a rear rack and bungee'd a plastic crate onto in like many people do... I found that the open top of a crate was more useful for my purposes than a topcase for carrying things... I had a bungee net to put over the top and some extra single bungee strings.

Windshield- I personally think they are invaluable. The Cuppini short is a great one for the Buddy; it will help out with rain and wind AND BUGS (ew) without being too tall for the summer heat.
Slipstream is also a great brand for windscreens, the website has terrible pictures, all their windscreens look boxy and flat in their head-on photos, but this thread has a side view (scroll down a bit for it); they have great contouring and seem to get really good reviews.

Crashbars/Footpegs- I couldn't afford crashbars at purchase and didn't like the look, I decided I'd maybe add them later; I did, however, add passenger footpegs because my guy and I ride 2 up on each other's scoots a lot, and I was hoping at least one of my sisters or some of our friends would ride sometimes with me eventually. IMO opinion, without the footpegs, riding on the back of the Buddy is a bit weird, and I'm not the only one... both of my sisters first words on the back of my 170 were an incredulous "Where do I put my feet?!"
I won't lie, the footpegs are obnoxious; if you are like me and stand with your legs in the right (wrong?) position while stopped, they poke you in the calves and will leave bruises, even; but if you don't anticipate a passenger they easily unbolt. I was about to unbolt them indefinitely when I had to lay it down to stop short for a car that didn't signal for a sudden left turn, and I came to find out that the 2 or so inches that the pegs stick out on each side also act as crash bars and car save your Buddy from damage. I left my footpegs on from then on regardless of my legs and they continued to prove their worth in such a manner.

Luggage/Saddlebags- For more carrying space, I had saddlebags on my Buddy. The ones I had were Prima bags; they are like $150 msrp, expensive if you ask me; I got them for $55 from Craigslist. But there's a thread about other, cheaper saddlebags that will fit Genuine scoots up right now- it is here.
For those who don't put topcases OR crates on their rear racks, there are roll bags... pretty sure those are carried on the Scooterworks website, but again, I think they are Prima brand, and you could probably find much cheaper ones out there that are just as good.

Accessories- The Gen-U-Bin is something that many people like; I found it unnecessary, myself. I got stuff like a RAMMount Gps mount, a Tucano Urbano lap cover, etc.

Here's pics of my scoot if you want to see some of the stuff I'm talking about:

The lap cover, windshield, crate/rear rack:

Pic with the pegs:

Pic of the pegs after the crash where I broke my hand... you can kind of see how the pegs took all the damage for that side of the scoot:

The RAMMount (rammount.com if you like it- not a scooterworks thing):
jonesygirl

Gen-u-bin

Post by jonesygirl »

My '09 St Tropez came with the gen-u-bin already installed. I find it very useful. I keep my cell phone in the part with the lid. I've used the cup holder a few times to carry my beverage to work. However, the last time I used it, I had an empty starbucks cup in it and when I took the scoot up to 60mph, it flew out and now I feel bad for littering :oops:
issue31

rammmount

Post by issue31 »

what Rammount did you use? and how was it installed?
LunaP

Re: rammmount

Post by LunaP »

issue31 wrote:what Rammount did you use? and how was it installed?
Ir's pretty easy! You might need a 3rd hand, though. On the Buddy or the Stella, it has to be bolted on in the same place the mirror bolts in, since we have no handlebars to mount onto. It can be done with this RAM part (note: the cradle I had to use for my TomTom required the diamond plate, yours might use a different fitting on the end of the mount; check out the 'components' tab on that page to see what I mean, b/c you can order each piece of that part separately).

I've loved mine, they hold up spectacularly and can be adjusted in so many ways. I definitely recommend RAMMounts.
issue31

thanks for the info

Post by issue31 »

Thanks for the info. Enjoy your 170. Just got mine in April, don"t have 100 mi. on it yet. COLD, RAIN,WIND, and a trip to WY. Love ti so far!
issue31 (John)
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

The gen-u-bin is on the list for me. I REALLY need a place to keep my beer. 8)
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
LunaP

Re: thanks for the info

Post by LunaP »

issue31 wrote:Thanks for the info. Enjoy your 170. Just got mine in April, don"t have 100 mi. on it yet. COLD, RAIN,WIND, and a trip to WY. Love ti so far!
issue31 (John)
Thanks but uhm, my 170 and I won't be going anywhere together again. Unfortunate meeting with a cager. Be safe and have fun with yours, hope your weather changes for the better soon.