What do you do for work??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Darn! Did I finally hit the end? I read this entire thread and I must say, I found a lot of encouragement here.

Why do I need it? I'm among those sans paycheck. Have been so for about 2 years now. I'm a professional land surveyor who has been working for my father's 55-year old company which is about to go under due to the crappy economy.

Unlike some of the hapless unemployed, I've been working, just not getting paid in the vain attempt to outlast these poor times. Now after 2 years of applications and job interviews, I'm waiting on confirmation that I once again will have a job. It doesn't pay much but I'm grateful that something has finally come along. Just need to get that call.....
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

AWinn6889 wrote:I work for a small, locally-owned "Books, Gifts, Toys, and Novelties" store, and attend college full time for a Graphic Design and Business Admin/Marketing double major.

Oh, I forgot to mention... I absolutely cannot stand my job, and am waiting to start at a local Suzuki dealership as a parts and service receptionist. It's the perfect job for me, because I love cars, and I'm good with people and computers. It will do until I finish college, pays much better, and has set hours every week, as opposed to the wonky schedule that I get thrown at me from my boss/the store owner at my current job.
I will hopefully be starting at the end of this year or the beginning of 2012. It's also about 3 miles from my house (as opposed to 20), so less "work" miles on the scoot, and less miles on the Jettagon. I also won't have to worry about being run over in a mall parking lot anymore! Wonderful!

Also, I do tattoo work on the side. Designing and taking notes for now, will be starting an apprenticeship in a couple years, after the big cross-country move (even though that crappy "tattoo school" featured on TLC is right around the corner).
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

One solid decade of... customer service, retail, and reception.

-_-

I made that terrible, terrible "take some time off of school" decision while I moved out and got married, and really it wasn't the taking time off of school that was the bad part so much as everything else >.<

Divorced the douche. Back home again and broke. Back to square one, but looking very up.

Glad I took off school because I don't want to be a teacher anymore, I have decided. The medical field truly engages and interests me, and because of my life situation I'd like to go to school for a certification for something- Pharmacist Asst, Medical Asst, Phlebotomy. That's next fall once I am DONE paying off the evil credit cards.

Ideally, the certification lands me a stable, better paying job with a set schedule and then I can go back and do the 2 semesters it would take to finish my 4-year undergraduate, just to say "I did it!" And then I scoot off into the sunset.

But for now, I work at a gas station. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I make barely above minimum wage, but the job is easy enough that I actually don't feel that I am being terribly underpaid like at every other retail job I have been at. It's less stressful than pretty much every other job I have had- my station is small, I'm on the job alone, I deal with 90% of my customers for less than 45 seconds, and other than cashiering I only really have to clean, which I am good at and don't mind so much. It's a FAR CRY from the 1 full time and 2 part time jobs I had while going to school full time... and I'm rather enjoying it at the moment to be honest.

I definitely need something better though. Time...
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Medical is not a bad way to go. If you work at the hospital here in town and want to go back to school learning something in the medical field, the hospital will reimburse your tuition on a sliding scale: 100% for A's, etc.
You could inquire if that is available.

If you applied for any sort of entry-level or above hospital job, you should be able to move up. Transporting, clerical, anything that can get you in the door.

If you really want to do well in that scenario and are not inclined to be directly involved in patient care, Information Tech is a big deal in hospitals.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Southerner wrote:Medical is not a bad way to go. If you work at the hospital here in town and want to go back to school learning something in the medical field, the hospital will reimburse your tuition on a sliding scale: 100% for A's, etc.
You could inquire if that is available.

If you applied for any sort of entry-level or above hospital job, you should be able to move up. Transporting, clerical, anything that can get you in the door.

If you really want to do well in that scenario and are not inclined to be directly involved in patient care, Information Tech is a big deal in hospitals.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it in with the hospitals. I've been renewing my application on file with the hospitals every now and again ever since I did a 5-month stretch as an emergency room receptionist through a temporary agency.

They said they loved me and I applied for the position full-time. However, because they have such a strong preference for promoting from within, they ended up choosing an older woman from food service. Sorry, but not a good choice. They lady didn't know squat about computers, the most basic of medical terminology, was kind of bad at spelling at all, and a terrible choice for the job. When I went to the supervisor and advised them that, considering the nature of the profession, her issues could be actually dangerous, and suggested they send her to a basic computer course or software training before I finish her on-the-job training, they suddenly and abruptly requested that my temporary station with them be terminated (even though she was nowhere near ready to work on her own).

It was kind of bullshit. But I figured if I could get in from the bottom up like the old woman had they would defend me just as fiercely. However, it's like a damn clique- hard to get in. All the hospitals around here except one are Bon Secours hospitals (the one I worked at was). But I have an application on file at the one that isn't as well.

I also went through CL and such applying for reception jobs at private doc offices and such, but a lot of them want the college 4 year that I don't have for the full time employees, or prefer experience within medical fields, not just tons of customer service experience. I haven't had any luck.
Syd

Post by Syd »

LunaP wrote:Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it in with the hospitals. I've been renewing my application on file with the hospitals every now and again ever since I did a 5-month stretch as an emergency room receptionist through a temporary agency.

They said they loved me and I applied for the position full-time. However, because they have such a strong preference for promoting from within, they ended up choosing an older woman from food service. Sorry, but not a good choice. They lady didn't know squat about computers, the most basic of medical terminology, was kind of bad at spelling at all, and a terrible choice for the job. When I went to the supervisor and advised them that, considering the nature of the profession, her issues could be actually dangerous, and suggested they send her to a basic computer course or software training before I finish her on-the-job training, they suddenly and abruptly requested that my temporary station with them be terminated (even though she was nowhere near ready to work on her own).

It was kind of bullshit. But I figured if I could get in from the bottom up like the old woman had they would defend me just as fiercely. However, it's like a damn clique- hard to get in. All the hospitals around here except one are Bon Secours hospitals (the one I worked at was). But I have an application on file at the one that isn't as well...
Kind of bullshits and perfectly understandable. You tried to tell the supervisor that:
1. You the temp knew the operating procedures of the ER better than the supervisor did.
2. You the temp knew the supervisor's job better than the supervisor did.

This doesn't even entertain the possibility that the 'old lady' was acquainted with the supervisor. If a situation like this were to come up in the future, you want to work for that company and the company employs more than a dozen or so people, you'd probably be better off telling the supervisor that you would be happy to continue training the new person until such time as the supervisor was comfortable with the new person's abilities.

Voice of experience and all.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I agree it was unfair but unfortunately, you were in the worst possible position to be the one to inform them. In the future, you gotta let that stuff go, for your own sake.

Promoting from within is normal with most organizations. I was recently turned down for a job for which I was, bluntly, overqualified, for the same reason.

In fact, If you want to work for any organization and can't get your target job, consider a lower level position just to get your foot in the door. Once on the inside, that promotion from within thing will work for you.
churroe

Post by churroe »

advertising copywriter, so yay for the az dude that was one. oh lord, any advice you can give me?
tc8105

Bringing it back?!

Post by tc8105 »

Thought I see if I can bring this back to us newer members or see where the first members who posted are now.

I am an Aircraft Structural Repairer in the US Army. I pretty much fabricate parts and replace parts. Working with all types of metal, fiberglass and hysols. I LOVE LOVE my job. I plan on continuing it outside the Army.
People inspire you, or they drain you- pick them wisely ~Hans F Hansen
TelPerian

Post by TelPerian »

Ah, the job conversation. I can't ever discuss it without feeling like I'm bragging.

I'm a video game tester...

>.>
AlleyOops

Post by AlleyOops »

I'm a web developer/designer.
- Ally
skully93

Post by skully93 »

IT nerd.
GJLawyer

Post by GJLawyer »

Professional office chair holder-downer.
scubadoobie

Post by scubadoobie »

Instructional designer at a medical school in Houston.
Scooting is good for the soul....

chas

Post by chas »

Surveillance/Investigation for a Private Investigator. It's quite a fun job.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Studio artist and designer. I was a gallery director for a number of years until the economy killed off most of the galleries. I also teach part-time at a community college. Would love to go back to school for a second masters ... A terminal degree in my field so I could teach fully-time but it does not seem in the cards. Working on a website for my work.
96 Decibel Freaks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Chas I bet that is awesome on the scoot :P.
chas

Post by chas »

skully93 wrote:Chas I bet that is awesome on the scoot :P.
Haven't had a chance to do it on the Buddy just yet but I imagine it would be pretty handy on a tail job through a really urban area. With the weather getting nice in Southern California, I should specifically ask my boss to set me up on some case at the beach haha!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

*Sigh!* Are all the cool jobs in Cali?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:*Sigh!* Are all the cool jobs in Cali?
Maybe, but plenty of people in Cali have awful, miserable or no jobs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Suppose I should update:

WAS just another student again after the "great layoff", but thanks to hard work and a little bit of networking (and a few miracles), I'm back in entertainment production!! Now an Assistant Technical Director of a university theater for ASU. I'm also pulling down more live sound engineering gigs as well, so hopefully this summer's off season won't be too impossible to function in.

As for California: No offense to the many who call it home but after spending 6 months in Anaheim I will NEVER consider California a place to live or work again. Expensive, overhyped and overpopulated with only particular job industries which only make the unemployment worse if you're in that job field that is *so* hot at whatever moment in that state. For those who can afford the sometimes insane cost of living, keep up the good work! For me, it was a dead end market. I'm sure there are redeemable traits to California, but when the work factor doesn't fit, then all bets are off
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Syd

Post by Syd »

Southerner wrote:*Sigh!* Are all the cool jobs in Cali?
It sounds pat, but the cool job is the one you like to do. And sometimes, after a while, the cool job isn't so cool anymore, and selling and installing wood floors for your living is the coolest job there is. (I don't sell wood floors, but I know a guy who does, after twenty years in a cool job.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Keys

Post by Keys »

I previously (many, many posts ago) stated I was a detention officer at the Yavapai County Jail. That, however, is no longer true. I am now simply another starving jazz/blues piano player. And happy to be able to say so...no one ever loved his job more.
"Life without music would Bb"
juls64

Post by juls64 »

I am a plumber.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

neotrotsky wrote: As for California: No offense to the many who call it home but after spending 6 months in Anaheim I will NEVER consider California a place to live or work again. Expensive, overhyped and overpopulated with only particular job industries which only make the unemployment worse if you're in that job field that is *so* hot at whatever moment in that state. For those who can afford the sometimes insane cost of living, keep up the good work! For me, it was a dead end market. I'm sure there are redeemable traits to California, but when the work factor doesn't fit, then all bets are off
I don't know about the rest of Cali, but I know Anaheim was an enjoyable but cliche tourist location; with the giant convention center just around the corner from the Disney Thing (land, world- I always miz them up) it's sure to be at least a smidge different from the rest of the state, no?

At least that's what I think when I think about NoVA, and Williamsburg. I've never even been to Williamsburg, it seems so touristy to me, and I've lived here 21 of my 26 years.

Anyhoo- I'm now a professional bed-warmer at my mother's. My wonderful plan about paying off my credit cards with my tax returns so I had a more comfortable lifestyle and could afford to go back to school? Yeah, no.

But turns for the better are happening for the people I care most about. Lokky will start next year as a graduate student, with a paid internship in Richmond here with me.

Despite the fact that he's losing the house from under his feet, my best friend has found an indie game developer that may be interested in making a game out of a story he's developed. I'd be more than elated to see this happen, as it could possibly hopefully lead to the production of bigger projects that I have co-created with him.
LivinThaDream

Post by LivinThaDream »

Yeah, a while back on this thread I was a 911 dispatcher. Not so much anymore. It was a tough job and at my year evaluation they let me go. :cry:

But I'm back in school, studying something I love and am good at and doesn't change too, too much from the classroom to the real world: Accounting. But at this point I've been in college for 7 years and have 2 more to go. Yaay! :roll:
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

LunaP wrote: Lokky will start next year as a graduate student, with a paid internship in Richmond here with me.
Half of me cannot wait to start with that! (I get paid to earn a Ph.D. and do the things I was paying to do just last semester? Bring it on!)

Half of me is absolutely paralyzed in terror and just wants this summer to never end. :lol:
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Well with my Masters in Biology in hand I finally found a job, part-time minimum wage wally-world stocker :cry: . It seems that finding a field biology job is a pipe dream, over 40 apps and counting.
So as of late I have been thinking about the Ph.D. gig like Lokky, however the G.A. stipend is only 18k a year and tuition/books is about 10k, plus I would have to move and that brings in the rent factor @ 8k and another downside is I would have to leave my wife and kids for an extended period of time. At this point I would settle for any job that would pay $12.50/hr, so I could pay my student loans off.
It is encouraging to see so many people have good employment, maybe luck will smile on me soon :) .
kimmiekarma

Post by kimmiekarma »

Mortgage Business, Loan Originator.
What I would love to do? Own a scooter store!!! I would!! but, I would love to own my own store with all sorts of hip, cool 8) jewelry, boots clothes and accessories on one side and antiques and vintage accessories on the other side!! Maybe I could incorporate the scooters too! :D :D :D :D
custuphman

Post by custuphman »

self employed, auto upholstery, specializing in pre '72 custom hand built interiors.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

LivinThaDream wrote:Yeah, a while back on this thread I was a 911 dispatcher. Not so much anymore. It was a tough job and at my year evaluation they let me go. :cry:

But I'm back in school, studying something I love and am good at and doesn't change too, too much from the classroom to the real world: Accounting. But at this point I've been in college for 7 years and have 2 more to go. Yaay! :roll:
In the past I've thought about being a 911 dispatcher. After running the reception counter at the ER, I had the notion I could handle it. But I was scared off by rumors about the tests they give you being notoriously rough.

Before I met Lokky, for a while I had a sincere desire to be an airline attendant and travel- until I was discouraged by airlines alleged pickiness and (understandable) aversion to heavyweighted staff. Now that I have lost quite a bit of weight from my hospital stay, I probably could... if I heal enough to be able to work shifts where I am on my feet, possibly in low heels, that long. I don't know that I will. And I don't think I want to travel that much anymore anyway.
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

I design interfaces for a living. It's a mix of physical products, websites and apps. Pretty fun most of the time.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

neotrotsky wrote:As for California: No offense to the many who call it home but after spending 6 months in Anaheim I will NEVER consider California a place to live or work again. Expensive, overhyped and overpopulated with only particular job industries which only make the unemployment worse if you're in that job field that is *so* hot at whatever moment in that state. For those who can afford the sometimes insane cost of living, keep up the good work! For me, it was a dead end market. I'm sure there are redeemable traits to California, but when the work factor doesn't fit, then all bets are off

Heh, come on man. It's a pretty big and diverse state.

Anaheim:
50.8 sq miles.

Los Angeles Metropolitan Area:
4,850.3 sq mile

Greater Los Angeles Area:
33,954 sq. mi

California:
163,696 sq. mi

I've lived and worked in and around the Bay Area for about over 6 years, and near Sacramento for 5, and down in LA for the last 4 years. Completely different experiences, betting pretty different industries, markets, life styles and social scenes as well. If you're going to paint with a super-super sized brush, at least try to paint within the lines of "LA" or even "SoCal" :P

------

I'm still a scientist specializing in infectious diseases.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

I had a job tat I absolutely loved for over 12 years... I'd still be there had the economy not crashed like it did. I hear you. I have a master's degree in Art Therapy. I worked with abused kids and the pay? Omg... You put in loads of hours and can't pay the bills. I did better as an artist... Then I could do volunteer work with the kids and manage to PY my bills as well. I had my own studio and was very happy. But now? At 50, all the experience I gained from doing my job well, my terrific references, my education... It feels like it was all for naught. The last full-time job I had I worked with an absolute sociopath... for $10 an hour :x I spent a chunk of my income on Advil, Tums, and Pepto-Bismol because dealing with the creep stressed me out so. And I can take a fair amount of stress. It was so bad that I quit, even though it took me two years to get that job and the economy is still lousy. I just figured that I I quit, at least I had the opportunity to find a new job before I was a complete wreck. And it does not matter what field you are in. I have friends in the same age bracket who are nurses, engineers, graphic artists... The list goes on. Yikes. And I had three good friends quit their jobs because of similar situations like I was in, and two more took early retirement. We're not neurotic people who can't get along with others... The job situations for so many people just suck these days. And too many employees are forced to deal with situations that are way beyond the pale and stay because they are terrified they won't find another job. Sigh :(
96 Decibel Freaks
chas

Post by chas »

Edwub wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:As for California: No offense to the many who call it home but after spending 6 months in Anaheim I will NEVER consider California a place to live or work again. Expensive, overhyped and overpopulated with only particular job industries which only make the unemployment worse if you're in that job field that is *so* hot at whatever moment in that state. For those who can afford the sometimes insane cost of living, keep up the good work! For me, it was a dead end market. I'm sure there are redeemable traits to California, but when the work factor doesn't fit, then all bets are off

Heh, come on man. It's a pretty big and diverse state.

Anaheim:
50.8 sq miles.

Los Angeles Metropolitan Area:
4,850.3 sq mile

Greater Los Angeles Area:
33,954 sq. mi

California:
163,696 sq. mi

I've lived and worked in and around the Bay Area for about over 6 years, and near Sacramento for 5, and down in LA for the last 4 years. Completely different experiences, betting pretty different industries, markets, life styles and social scenes as well. If you're going to paint with a super-super sized brush, at least try to paint within the lines of "LA" or even "SoCal" :P

------

I'm still a scientist specializing in infectious diseases.
Edwub speaks the truth. I must say that if I were to base the Orange County (let alone all of Southern California) experience completely based on Anaheim alone, I would hate it too. There are the beaches and wilderness areas around here to take into consideration and although I'm sure that you (Neotrotsky) left Anaheim at some point or another while living there, it still isn't exactly a good representation of Southern California. The only real unifying factors here are good weather and beautiful women but other than that the socio-politcal spectrum is quite diverse from city to city. Long story short: if you don't like the city you live in here, you don't have to go very far to find the polar opposite.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Mutt the Hoople wrote: And it does not matter what field you are in. I have friends in the same age bracket who are nurses, engineers, graphic artists... The list goes on. Yikes. And I had three good friends quit their jobs because of similar situations like I was in, and two more took early retirement. We're not neurotic people who can't get along with others... The job situations for so many people just suck these days. And too many employees are forced to deal with situations that are way beyond the pale and stay because they are terrified they won't find another job. Sigh :(
I am in the pharmacy field and resigned from my position after many years. With new management it was clean out time bring in new under the new in charge. Did not matter if you were good at what you do or not. Pretty much of a structured termination. Doing some part time while looking for the new position. I have found working on the scooters has been great therapy helping to keep me grounded and feeling some accomplishment.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I'm a doctoral student.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

It wasn't just based on this thread. I keep up with the listings in my industry and the bulk of new openings seem to be in Cali and Texas. Tx always seems to be able to ride out the financial crises that crush the rest of the nation but Cali got hit hard by the mortgage loan mess so I found the number of listings (mostly local government, btw) surprising.

I'm currently underemployed by a local govt entity myself now, albeit grateful because they were the only ones to offer me a job.. Also it's low stress and I already know how to do anything they want.

My sincerest sympathies to all those sans employment. I've been there and it's an awful feeling.

Oh, and Disneyworld is in Florida. It's fun but I suggest going in the winter. Summer is hot and miserably crowded. February was nice and warm.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I'm still a pizza pusher, but I got moved up in the playa game. I'm a GM now, all this corners profits are mine! well except for that owner guy, but he's never around....

It seems as though my job is trying to get back to Chicago and out of this paved over swamp.....
Tough choice being happy with your surroundings or year round riding weather :?
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Southerner wrote:
Oh, and Disneyworld is in Florida. It's fun but I suggest going in the winter. Summer is hot and miserably crowded. February was nice and warm.
I visited DisneyWorld, then, several years ago in high school. I found it very underwhelming. My interest in amusement parks is almost entirely in thrill rides, which Disney does not have many of. At all. I definitely believe you about the travel tip though!!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

I was a youth counselor / house parent for disadvantaged youth for around 16 years until budget cuts and changes made caused me to leave that work. It kept me youthful, though.

I worked a security job after letting that go, and then transitioned to kitchen remodeling, of all things. Which I knew nothing about, but a family member with his own business needed some help and i needed some work. So, I became the muscle there, went out on presentations, but never cut or crafted a thing. Not very satisfactory as it located me 30 miles away from home 2/3's of the time. But it's all good and I made and saved some cash.

I am now going to look into advocacy for the mentally ill and homeless and disadvantaged. It doesn't pay much, but idc. I just want to do something I consider rewarding like I did before. Which didn't pay a kings ransom, either. But its a living and I like helping others and standing up for the meek and weak.

I am also doing some freelance writing. Just small ad copy stuff, and may start a screenplay. So writing is an interest and hobby, and I enjoy doing it. I will most likely start some blogs, put some writing "out there" and sign up for a few courses to hone my completely lacking skills :)

Otherwise, I scoot. All I really need are more scooters to make me happy(er). And a job I consider fulfilling.

And that is for the most part what I do, and have done for work :)
Last edited by JHScoot on Wed May 02, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
Jana

Post by Jana »

Great thread-it's fun to see where you all live and what you all do for some dosh. There's never enough of that, right? :roll:

I am a "retired" Fed Gov't cartographer/data base manager. I actually just quit when my son was born, but "retired" sounds cooler, and it gets me more senior discounts. :P

I've been a Longaberger Team/Branch Leader since 1994, and still enjoy doing shows, vendor fairs, meeting people, etc. I can't haul much on Sting, so I've kept my car for baskets and pottery! :lol:

I started volunteering at the Science Center in about 1990. I've been in both Cyberville and library/collections. Because of some recent pay cuts, Collections is now closed, so I am taking a break while they sort that out.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

LunaP wrote:
Southerner wrote:
I visited DisneyWorld, then, several years ago in high school. I found it very underwhelming. My interest in amusement parks is almost entirely in thrill rides, which Disney does not have many of. At all. I definitely believe you about the travel tip though!!
Yep, Space Mountain is pretty much it. I lost a Swiss Army Knife in there somewhere. Six Flags is much closer and more fun for that.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Jana wrote:Great thread-it's fun to see where you all live and what you all do for some dosh. There's never enough of that, right? :roll:

I am a "retired" Fed Gov't cartographer/data base manager. I actually just quit when my son was born, but "retired" sounds cooler, and it gets me more senior discounts. :P.......................
Ooooh, can I have your old job? The cartography part. IDK about database management.
Tam Tam

ARMORED!!!!

Post by Tam Tam »

I work for Brinks Inc...the armored car company.
I began working as a driver (sort of a career change thingy for me) and 6 years later now work in house as a supervisor/coordinator...
I get to scoot to and from work everyday (when I'm working - been out on injury) and the guys stopped clowing me 'bout scooters when they find out the mileage I get...and made friends with a Motorcycle club member after he'd left for his route one day, and left his LED lights on. I called his truck, and asked how to turn them off...only way would be to disconnect the battery. So I did, and left the screwdriver there on his seat so he could reconnect it. Man...scooter or bike, car or truck, coke or pepsi, we're supposed to help people when we can.
Here is a picture of a prototype BRINKS Scooter, by the way :P
Attachments
armor scooter.jpg
armor scooter.jpg (128.67 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
fossel

work

Post by fossel »

I have work 40 years as a drywall finisher/foreman.Ive sailed thru the bad times.Its starting to lose its magic .This is my last year,thank god!
LivinThaDream

Post by LivinThaDream »

Well, after 10 months of searching and posting on here last week about being unemployed... I got a job!! I'll be the baker at a local bagel shop :lol: Yipee!!

I am feeling so random though- so far I've been a librarian assistant, fast food slave, missionary, social worker, cleaning company small business owner, Walmart slave, 911 dispatcher, accounting clerk temp, and now a baker!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

But it's still better to be employed, whatever the job. Plus, who doesn't like bagels? :D

Marietta, that's where I bought my Honda.
Jana

Post by Jana »

Southerner wrote:
Jana wrote:Great thread-it's fun to see where you all live and what you all do for some dosh. There's never enough of that, right? :roll:

I am a "retired" Fed Gov't cartographer/data base manager. I actually just quit when my son was born, but "retired" sounds cooler, and it gets me more senior discounts. :P.......................
Ooooh, can I have your old job? The cartography part. IDK about database management.
Not sure how much actual "cartography" they still do, but they do have open resume listings on the website.

https://www1.nga.mil/Pages/default.aspx Then click on careers.

Best of luck!!
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

I am director of operations at a local startup. It's a pretty cool gig, and it's awesome that our product pays consumers. :)