Fuel Sending Unit Leaking

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mikeyb

Fuel Sending Unit Leaking

Post by mikeyb »

My 2012 Stella had a bad fuel sending unit shortly after purchase and the dealer put a new one on. After several tanks of gas and several hundred miles of travel the unit is just now leaking around the base of the gasket. I know that there is a specif way to tighten the 5 screws to apply even pressure but I was wondering how tight to turn them. The rubber gasket will get too compressed if tightened too much. Fiddling around with the various amount of pressure to tighten gives me varying results (lots of fuel leaking to a little) but it still leaks.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Oi, that's a new one to add to the list for the Stella 4T

Upside is it seems rare as this is the first case I have heard of, and may have been from incorrect installation by the dealer.
It 'would' seem that it would be very similar to PX model Vespas, so you could pose this question on Vespa sites or Stellaspeed and see what people say.
I am familiar with modernvespa.com, where they have a Not So Modern section. There are quite a few experts there (and many not so expert..) who may be able to help. BarItaliaClassics is an especially good source there.

Good luck!
mikeyb

Post by mikeyb »

Thanks for the suggestions for the other sites. I did resolve the leak by going to the auto supply store and buying some "Seal All" adhesive designed for fuel lines, tanks and gaskets. I applies the product to both sides of the gasket as well as the screw holes and that did the trick. No more weeping or leaks whatsoever.

Thanks,
Mike