[NSR] geek bender

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigbropgo

[NSR] geek bender

Post by bigbropgo »

i am an adult. and i have been a fan of many things. but i have never fully geeked out about anything until now. i was a fan from day one. i am starting this thread for fun, to see if i am the only one.

for a hint, on July 2nd, i am thinking of shaving my head and painting a blue arrow on it. :wtf:

discuss.
Last edited by bigbropgo on Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
TVB

Post by TVB »

Let's see.... June 2 is a Wednesday, which is when new comics arrive in shops each week... so is Green Arrow changing the color of his costume?
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I really want to know if MOMO will be in the movie. Don't get me wrong I love the entire story and all of the characters have been well developed but I'm a total sucker for MOMO!
Attachments
avatar_momo.png (19.87 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I really want to know if MOMO will be in the movie. Don't get me wrong I love the entire story and all of the characters have been well developed but I'm a total sucker for MOMO!
:lol: You saved the day. A geek hates to be a geek alone.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Spoiler alert: The guy is actually dead, the dude in the wheelchair is a supervillain, the village is in modern times, water kills the aliens (which is why they came to a planet that's mostly water to feed on people who are mostly water), and this may be the first MNS movie in a while to not totally suck because it's not based on one of his formulaic concepts.

I am a big-time anime and cartoon watching geek but haven't gotten into this show. It still seems a little too oriented towards kids for me. I say this as someone who loves Naruto, Dragonball, Batman Brave & the Bold, Spectacular Spider-Man, etc…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

My son's pretty excited, I'm looking forward to taking him to it. When I first saw previews for Avatar awhile back I got completely confused, because I thought that was the name of this one. :oops:
MB #2349
jasondavis48108

I have a good friend named Mohamed who is working on his phd in philosophy of logic and his Masters in comp sci. We watched the 1st 2nd and 3rd books together. The combination of the show with several degrees in math, logic and philosophy led to some fairly interesting conversations and I now call him Momo :lol: Geeks of the world unite! Geek Power! now where did I leave that berete and black leather pocket protector :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

ericalm wrote:this may be the first MNS movie in a while to not totally suck
In a while? There was ever something even remotely watchable to come out of that stain on the industry of film and cinema? I couldn't even watch a film with Zooey in it because it was so horrible. Zooey!

I don't know anything about this story which we're apparently not going to say the name of but has to do with someone who may or may not be the one-after-the-penultimate curver of atmospheric gases, but I do know it's a very popular one with the library folk. I hope for you guys' sake that the immense fan pressure results in Manoj creating the finest work of his career...
jasondavis48108

I don't have high hopes for the movie after seeing some of the casting desisions but I will be taking my kid to see this one and hopefuly I will be plesantly suprised. The cartoon is pretty damn good and I'm just hoping that they don't really f*ck it up.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I don't have high hopes for the movie after seeing some of the casting desisions but I will be taking my kid to see this one and hopefuly I will be plesantly suprised. The cartoon is pretty damn good and I'm just hoping that they don't really f*ck it up.
so far hollywood has been f'n up alot of movies cant even make a decent remake out of a crappy tv show. didnt like iron man 2 dont want to see avatar cgi is killing movies with awesome visuals and sounds but no real solid content. any movie that is hyped will suck .
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dev Patel's in it right? Slumdog was good but I freakin' loved him on the UK show Skins.

I think he's a villain in this, which may not bode well.

And yes, MNS even botched a movie with Zooey. Zooey!

Going to go buy some cotton now.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PhoenixScoot

Post by PhoenixScoot »

I'm pumped for this movie. I've seen every episode when the series was still on. Love it. It is geared towards kids a lot, especially in the dialogue, but the overall story is too good to make that an issue. Hope M. Night doesn't screw this one up though.. His movies are...just awful..
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/main.html#home

just a few days over a month to go. :D
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Lovelandstella

you all are entitled to your opinion.

Post by Lovelandstella »

you all didn't like "Lady in the water"?
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
bigbropgo

Re: you all are entitled to your opinion.

Post by bigbropgo »

Lovelandstella wrote:you all didn't like "Lady in the water"?
I wanted to like it......I mean I tried to be open minded. But yea it sucked. And the happening blew also. I liked many of MNS's other work. Of course the best was the skits about him on robot chicken. " what a twist ".
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

:cry: :cry: Not sure what to say. M.night destroyed it.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

too bad. :(
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Dusting off this old thread. The new series is on its way. It has been delayed for over a year. Really excited to see the new one. 100 years in the future and is rumored to have a slightly more mature theme.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

watched the reruns on nicktoons last year; saw the movie last year; was wondering if that was the end of it...
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

Ok i'm lost. What are we talking about here?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

the new.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

My bestie and I were crazy about this cartoon and managed to watch most of the season when it first aired years ago- I haven't seen any of it since. Not even the movie.

I heard that Shamalamadingdong ruined it though.

I could go watch all of the first cartoon in preparation for Legend of Korra, since I have literally nothing else to do with my time atm.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've heard Korra is quite good. The first two episodes are available to stream free online.

I never got into the original. As contradictory to many of my other tastes as this may sound, I always thought it was supposed to be very kid-oriented.

I did watch the live-action movie. Not great, but it didn't totally suck either. Just kind of "eh, okay."
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

It was kind of kid- oriented, but I thought it did a pretty good job of not completely alienating older audiences... BUT, I don't tend to be overly critical of TV shows, I just sit and enjoy. Sometimes some weird stuff. 0.o
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

LunaP wrote:Sometimes some weird stuff. 0.o
tentacles?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

black sunshine wrote:
LunaP wrote:Sometimes some weird stuff. 0.o
tentacles?
Bahahahaha no. Not that weird.

I wasn't going to admit it publicly, but everything seems normal after tentacles come up. Somehow my sisters and I have all started watching the new My Little Pony cartoon.

We now bother my mother at 11PM to go out and get Happy Meals. Last night, my sister and I got two different ponies that we didn't have before in our meals AND it was 10 minutes before they closed and they had to make a new batch of fries, so they gave us a whole bunch of extra fries. SCORE. I was totally stoked cause I felt like I was 10 years old again. :oops: :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bah. First 2 Korra episodes (running as 1-hour premiere) were available online—legally!—but have been removed for some reason. The clips look pretty good.
LunaP wrote:Somehow my sisters and I have all started watching the new My Little Pony cartoon.
Lauren Faust of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends developed it! That makes it legit (though I haven't seen it).
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i found and watched them a few days ago. the animation is sharp. and the first two episodes seem to cater to a slightly older crowd. we'll see if that continues. but if you like the old series this still has the same vibe. the first episode does have a small amount of back story that touches on the old series. and a cameo from an old character. i am really excited to see more. it was scheduled for last summer so i have been waiting for some time.

i didn't know however that dark horse comics did a short series that dealt with the time period between the two series. (WHAT THE HECK KINDA FAN AM I!!!!)
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

<object id="vid_ea6dff68c9e5c5493785670a437d800b" class="ign-videoplayer" width="640" height="391" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/15/ne ... /></object>
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:Bah. First 2 Korra episodes (running as 1-hour premiere) were available online—legally!—but have been removed for some reason. The clips look pretty good.
LunaP wrote:Somehow my sisters and I have all started watching the new My Little Pony cartoon.
Lauren Faust of Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends developed it! That makes it legit (though I haven't seen it).
Curses, I've been foiled!!

I never saw Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but I've known several people that liked it; I of course remember PPG very clearly. Who could forget... MOJOJOJO?! Faust's named looked familiar to me, though I had given up wondering from where.

bigbropgo wrote:i found and watched them a few days ago. the animation is sharp. and the first two episodes seem to cater to a slightly older crowd. we'll see if that continues. but if you like the old series this still has the same vibe. the first episode does have a small amount of back story that touches on the old series. and a cameo from an old character. i am really excited to see more. it was scheduled for last summer so i have been waiting for some time.

i didn't know however that dark horse comics did a short series that dealt with the time period between the two series. (WHAT THE HECK KINDA FAN AM I!!!!)
I didn't know that either... I love it when series are comprehensive like that. Plus I can really get into a graphic novel every now and again. I'll have to go see if I can get my hands into all this...
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

ok I know this is kinda late but...OOooooooohhh I love that show!!! Sozins comet was amazing.

Blood benders FTW! :lol: :lol:
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

in korra, many of the cops are metal benders.

i'm stoked to see more. i know the target audience for ATLA was younger, but i enjoyed the series. and as it went on it matured. we will see about this new one.

sozins comet was pretty cool. and i definitely hated to see it end.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

LunaP wrote:
ericalm wrote:Bah. First 2 Korra episodes (running as 1-hour premiere) were available online—legally!—but have been removed for some reason. The clips look pretty good.
Curses, I've been foiled!!

I never saw Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, but I've known several people that liked it; I of course remember PPG very clearly. Who could forget... MOJOJOJO?! Faust's named looked familiar to me, though I had given up wondering from where.
Foster's was usually good and sometimes brilliant.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Mini marathon of the last airbender is on right now and the premier of korra is on Saturday.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man. Kind of amazing, in that I'm amazed that the combined efforts of Quesada, Bendis, Paul Dini, Jeph Loeb and Man of Action resulted in this poorly-animated, goofily-written, ill-conceived dud.

Motorcity looks kind of awesome, though:
http://disney.go.com/xd/motorcity/
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:I just watched the first 2 episodes of Ultimate Spider-Man. Kind of amazing, in that I'm amazed that the combined efforts of Quesada, Bendis, Paul Dini, Jeph Loeb and Man of Action resulted in this poorly-animated, goofily-written, ill-conceived dud.
Too many cooks plus one corporate giant on the committee?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Sooooo .............episode 3 has Chi blocking soldiers that are part of the anti-bending movement.*squee* And firebenders that can bend lightning work at the power plant. Huh *shrugs* the new villain is about to be revealed. (The revelation )
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Did I mention the new villain can take bending away. *oh snaps*
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

chapter five has a female character that rides a scooter. something roughly looking like a cross between vintage lammys and vespas. sound was about right also. :D the gif is annoying but the only one i could find so far.

VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm several episodes behind! No spoilers. :)

Scooter looks like a Salsbury crossed with a Vespa Faro Basso.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

ok I dont have cable (only netflix) so I havent seen any of these new episodes yet.
so does this take place in the future from where the old airbender shows took place?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

yep, aang lived a full life and passed of old age. so its 70 years in the future. so that means cars and traffic lights. airships and pluming. hard to get used to it but I'm hanging on.

i found the first two episodes online. and in more than one place.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

:shock: :shock: :shock: EPISODE SIX......SQUEEE. some nu-school fighting. heck yea.
really hard not to include spoilers. get caught up eric. :D
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okeh, two adult friends who are not animation nerds to the degree I am have convinced me that I need to watch Avatar: TLA. One counts it as one of his favorite shows, ever.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bigbropgo wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: EPISODE SIX......SQUEEE. some nu-school fighting. heck yea.
really hard not to include spoilers. get caught up eric. :D
Caught up. I'm constantly surprised by how good this show is. Better than it needs to be, even. Clever, well-plotted, great animation.

In other geek toon news, the Tron: Uprising premiere is available on demand (Disney XD) on Time Warner and probably other cable systems. I really liked it. Wife was bored. I think it broadcasts first week of June.
ericalm
Site Admin

Geek Bender Update!

Post by ericalm »

Finished binge watching the first Avatar series. SO GOOD! I loved it. Almost teared up watching the finale.

Then I discovered there's a new comic from Dark Horse called Avatar: The Promise, which takes place right after the end of the finale, then jumps forward a year. It's actually pretty good and true to the show. It doesn't feel like a tacked on, "let's squeeze some more $$$ out of this" thing.

AND, I went back and watched the live action movie again. The first time I saw it, I thought it was okay, kind of boring, whatever, not horrible. Watching it after seeing the original, I hated it. They just got everything wrong, from the tone of the series to the liveliness of the characters. Casting was awful. Several great actors were just bad in the movie, including Dev Patel and Shaun Toub. I wanted to slap Aang. The bending effects and fight choreography were inexcusable by today's standards. All very SLOW, like a fast runner with a club could defeat any bender. This is actually one I'd like to see re-done a few years down the line when it's been forgotten.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Ha ha your post made my day. You have hit on points most fans share. Movie was horrible.

How far have you gone in the new series?
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm all caught up on Korra. Glad that a second season has been greenlit. Hope they don't make us wait too long for episodes!

There are aspects of Korra I like more than the original series (a little more mature, cool designs) but I do miss the epic scope of the storyline and the frequent changes in locales.